Type keyword(s) to search

The Flash in the Media

Lisin
  • Start Topic

'Danielle Panabaker on Caitlin's Killer Frost duality'

“She’s still struggling with her identity and this duality of her life right now,” Panabaker tells EW, teasing that Killer Frost could come out at any moment. “This year is a little bit different because now some time has passed. I feel like during season 3, they were dealing with the shock of this other person living inside of Caitlin, and now it’s been a little bit of time, there’s less surprise about it, and I think Caitlin is trying to understand it a little bit better, and she’s also trying to stay in control a little bit more. Is she successful at that? Not necessarily.”

It just sounds like they're doubling down on the EXACT things that weren't working last season. ::sigh::

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Trini said:

'Danielle Panabaker on Caitlin's Killer Frost duality'

It just sounds like they're doubling down on the EXACT things that weren't working last season. ::sigh::

Hopefully they'll move away from the "struggle for control" part to something more interesting.  Instead of Killer Frost, I'd like to see Shitty Roommate Frost.  Basically Caitlin and KF kind of "timeshare" the bodyspace.  The guys have a big meta problem, so KF comes out to help them in her own special way and Caitlin wakes up a bit later in her apartment with ice cream melting on the table, the soundtrack from Frozen going full volume from the speakers and some naked dude in her bathroom trying very hard not to move because the piss he was taking has been frozen all the way up into his penis...

• Love 1

Set visit and cast interviews from a Brazilian TV station; the interviews are in English. Grant and Candice talk about the tone for the season; Grant talks a little bit about the new suit; Neil Sandilands (The Thinker) and Kim Engelbrecht (the Mechanic) talk a bit about their characters.

• Love 2

Candice got TVLine's Performer of the week!

Coming out of the season opener, in which Iris told Barry that she did as he asked and kept “moving forward” during his half-year absence — if only so that she didn’t look back to see that her fiance had bailed on her to appease the Speed Force — you had to know that there was more on her mind. Yet as anticipated as the next burst of truth-telling was, Patton did that thing she does, making a moment about a super-powered fella and his partner in metahuman crimefighting feel achingly real.

“How could you leave me?” Iris shot back when during a therapy session Barry touted their “gold standard” status as a couple. “You left me, Barry. You just left me, standing there alone. How could you do that?”

But it was with that heated moment in the rear view mirror, in private back at S.T.A.R. Labs, that Patton got to speak in more detail about the devastating position Barry put his true love in: “I had to constantly lie about why you were gone. You don’t know the looks people gave me… what they must have thought about us, what it made me think about us.” When Barry noted the burden he feels every day as a superhero, Patton made Iris’ response make all the sense in the world — that ever since he asked her to be his wife, “You are not the Flash, Barry. We are.”

We’re not here, though, to simply acknowledge Patton for her tugging of heartstrings; that talent has been demonstrated again and again. No, what pushed her into POTW territory was the added brandishing of comedic chops, during the aforementioned couples therapy. These scenes were not, as typical, about the reluctant/impatient/exasperated guy. Watch closely, and Patton is there matching scene partner Grant Gustin beat for beat, making clear to the shrink that in their world, lives are on the line “metaphorically.” All told, Patton made us cry, she made us laugh, she made this week’s kudos an easy one.

• Love 4

Portmortem interviews with the cast about "Luck Be a Lady": http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/24/flash-metahumans-season-4-explained/

“Obviously, we all feel responsible,” Candice Patton tells EW. “We took Barry out of the Speed Force and because of that, we have this bus filled with metahumans, and now it’s our responsibility to find out who these people are, track them down, and keep the city safe. Iris feels like these metahumans are victims themselves. They didn’t ask for this. We did this, and it’s our responsibility to help them and find them and keep the city safe, so there’s a moral dilemma of going after these metahumans, but also having compassion for the fact that they didn’t ask for this, and it’s our fault, really.”

Well, not Iris' (or Barry's) fault...

“It’s kind of weird, because in contrast to previous seasons, where Barry is usually left to hold himself accountable for mistakes that he’s made, such as was the case in Flashpoint, this season, conversely, is about how Team Flash has to hold themselves accountable for something that they did,” Carlos Valdes adds, noting that Cisco is far less remorseful for their actions considering they unleashed the dark matter for good reason. “In his point of view, that’s something that they needed to do — they had no choice, they had to bring Barry back. The city was not doing great, even though Kid Flash and Vibe were trying to combat all the crime that was going on at the city, ultimately, they couldn’t do it without Barry. So that was something that they needed to do, and the repercussions of opening that breach, they’re more of a welcome challenge, really. You take a risk and you do what you need to do, and you deal with the repercussions as they come.”

Also some teases for the next episode:

Spoiler

“This is a guy who was at CCPD when Barry was just starting out as a CSI and they didn’t have a great relationship at all,” Gustin teases. “It’s the first time since Barry comes out of the Speed Force that we see him go back to being blinded by his hatred for this guy and he’s not really happy-go-lucky. He just wants to get Ralph and put him away.”

"...But how does Team Flash feel about him? That’s a different story. Dibny and Barry Allen actually have a history together, and so both Barry and Joe are actually a little hesitant about having Ralph around at all to begin with, so it’s going to be interesting to see how the dynamic of Ralph Dibny’s character fits in into Team Flash.”

On 10/4/2017 at 6:05 PM, Trini said:

See, this is why you need to spend the cash for new promo pics, CW:

Cast will be at Fan Expo Vancouver, in November. http://fanexpovancouver.com/

And also why they need to have guidelines for other events using their pictures.  Candice shouldn't be in the back.  She's billed as the female lead - she deserves to be there.  Google has done the same thing and it's infuriating.

On 10/6/2017 at 0:01 AM, Trini said:

A Visual History of The Flash:

The Flash #15 of the top 20 shows right now, according to this data analysis:

Interview with Kim Engelbrecht who will be starring in the show this season:

Empire isn't on the list?  That's - insane.  And no This is Us?  I call BS on that analysis.

1 hour ago, Trini said:

Portmortem interviews with the cast about "Luck Be a Lady": http://ew.com/tv/2017/10/24/flash-metahumans-season-4-explained/

Well, not Iris' (or Barry's) fault...

Also some teases for the next episode:

So Cisco isn't remorseful for being the main one responsible for creating new metas?  Because the one person that shouldn't feel responsible is Iris. She tried to told them but they didn't listen!  Maybe that's why she's the one with compassion.  Cisco should be the one with the mea culpa, but apparently he's not.  Shame.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, phoenics said:

So Cisco isn't remorseful for being the main one responsible for creating new metas?  Because the one person that shouldn't feel responsible is Iris. She tried to told them but they didn't listen!  Maybe that's why she's the one with compassion.  Cisco should be the one with the mea culpa, but apparently he's not.  Shame.

He's at least not remorseful at this point in the "Oh woe betide me for I hath sinned against God and man!"  His attitude is apparently "We needed to do it.  We needed Barry back and sometimes shit happens when you do the necessary thing."  Thus far he has a point.  Kilg%re chose to use his new powers to commit murder and otherwise do bad stuff of his own free will.  While Becky wasn't in conscious control of her abilities, she was given the option to reign them in and chose not to do so.  So that's two bad/uncaring people who chose to be bad/uncaring.  No, if he hadn't gotten Barry out of the Speed Force, those people wouldn't have become metas.  That said, the presented alternative was the (attempted) destruction of Central City.  Maybe Team Flash could have stopped the Samurai robot or eventually gotten through to the Legends or Supergirl, but there's a real chance that robot would have done a lot of damage and killed a lot of people before it was taken down.

That all said, Cisco's relative lack of remorse is what he feels right now, faced with two bad metas who kind of chose to be metas who were bad (or uncaring) people.  Things might change if he meets a guy who was permanently transformed into a sentient, mobile pool of diarrhea.  Or maybe the woman who learned she got lightning/electrical power when she accidentally killed her whole family while they were swimming in the pool.  If Cisco meets somebody who had their lives fucked up and ruined by this stuff instead of by their choices after they got it, he might well feel some remorse.

Edited by johntfs
  • Love 1

I find it really strange that there hasn't been any comment from the producers, or the cast about Wally leaving (even if it's not permanent). Especially since Keiynan's been a regular since Season 2.

On 10/27/2017 at 3:18 AM, Trini said:

I find it really strange that there hasn't been any comment from the producers, or the cast about Wally leaving (even if it's not permanent). Especially since Keiynan's been a regular since Season 2.

That's exactly what I've been thinking. You'd think there'd be some sort of statement from the producers about what this means going forward. And Keiynan hasn't said anything about it either on social media.

• Love 2

Tom Cavanagh interview: 'Tom Cavanagh Talks Hallmark, The Flash and the Big Screen'

Congratulations on your short film, Tom & Grant—you with your buddy from The Flash, Grant Gustin.

I had three weeks to get that done between Darrow & Darrow and The Flash. We just finished the edits a week ago and we are submitting to the Sundance Film Festival. It’s a heist movie with two inept bank robbers.

I thought about the current political climate, where I don’t believe Republicans are going to listen to Democrats—no matter how good the reason—and Democrats won’t listen to Republicans.

I also thought, “What if I could find a way to write something catchy enough that expressed how I felt about the current state of politics?” I’m trying to get the message across by not getting the message across—it’s entertainment first.

And you directed on The Flash. Did you love that?

Yes, because it’s a fun show to do and to direct. It can be thrilling, light of heart, with great acting moments to play. I don’t think we could have done a show like this a decade ago. Even with directing, we can go grab a helicopter, for example. It can be so visceral and exciting when those comic book pages leap on to the screen. I consider it all a privilege.

I think they changed the title to "Quit Your Day Job" ?

Finally some word from a producer about Wally/Keiynan -- but it's Kreisberg, so I'll believe it when I see it:

http://tvline.com/2017/10/30/flash-season-4-wally-west-leaves-returning/

But rest assured, Wally’s trip home to Blue Valley is only a temporary one. “Keiynan’s a regular,” co-showrunner Andrew Kreisberg assured reported on Monday after a screening of this week’s episode, “and we will see him again.”

Asked about the timing of Wally’s sabbatical — coinciding as it does with the arrival of Ralph Dibny aka The Elongated Man (played by Hartley Sawyer starting this Tuesday at 8/7c), Kreisberg hinted, “There are things that will become clear as the season goes on,” before delving into the practical matter of juggling two speedsters.

“It’s difficult having two speedsters on the show, just creatively and financially,” the EP explained. “There are a lot of times where either Barry had to get knocked out so Wally could save the day, or Wally had to get knocked out so Barry could save the day — and just knocking them out, that costs a lot.

“But Wally is not gone. Wally is not gone, certainly, from the Arrowverse,” Kreisberg reiterated, “and he’ll be back on Flash, and more exciting stuff about Wally will be revealed as we move forward.”

There are... other ways to not use Kid Flash as much, without sending him to a different city, though.

I don't understand how he can be a regular if they can't figure out how to use him all the time, so they send him off. Isn't that recurring status? 

He seems to be hinting he may be on other shows in the Arrowverse.

45 minutes ago, ruby24 said:

I don't understand how he can be a regular if they can't figure out how to use him all the time, so they send him off. Isn't that recurring status? 

He seems to be hinting he may be on other shows in the Arrowverse.

The CW appears to be signing some actors to regular fractional contracts - that is, actors who are signed for the entire season, but only guaranteed to appear in some fraction of the episodes. This allows them to keep the actors on "at will" - meaning the actors can be called in at any point during the season, even though they won't appear in every episode of the season.  On the actor side, they are generally credited for every episode of the season - which means they get paid even for episodes where they don't appear. So by not having to film each episode, Lonsdale is basically working fewer hours for the same salary plus the small negotiated SAG raise, instead of getting a higher raise for the year.

The downside for actors is that the CW negotiated lower per episode salaries than network standards, allowing them to pay main role actors like Keiynan Lonsdale only 10% above day player rates, calculated out to 8 days. Or, they can argue that the main role part is actually a weekly performer role, and pay the performer essentially the day player rate, calculated out to five days, on a weekly basis, which does mean that they can't bring the actor in for eight straight days - but also means a lower per episode rate, and thus a lower annual rate. In Lonsdale's case, if I had to guess, they contracted him at scale (that is, either the minimum for a main role or a weekly performer, most likely a main role), and this season, offered him a reduced work load on Flash plus guest appearances on other Arrowverse shows instead of increased compensation.  The same thing appears to be happening with Willa Holland over on Arrow, minus the guest appearances. 

• Love 1
On 26. 10. 2017 at 4:00 AM, phoenics said:

Empire isn't on the list?  That's - insane.  And no This is Us?  I call BS on that analysis.

Is Empire a hit all around the world? Because it seems more like a US thing. And the data is collected from around the world.

13 minutes ago, SevenStars said:

Why is it a US thing ?

A tv drama with a lot of singing seems like a US thing. The issue for some of these US show is the time between seasons they air in other countries. And they cannot build the momentum the show had in the US. I know in Germany the show only aired its first 2 seasons so far. They also dont seem to have the same type of Netflix deal some CW show have internationally like Riverdale, Dynasty who are available the next day. 

• Love 1

Producer preview of 4.04:

Well, the Cisco/Breacher part of the episode looks hilarious! But no - New Guy is NOT comparable to Oliver Queen.

Edited by Trini

Interview with Kreisberg AND Danny Trejo at Collider (some *spoilers*):

What did you enjoy about working with Carlos Valdes and getting that right degree of antagonism?

TREJO:  That cute kid? He’s a lot of fun, and just a really great actor. He’s really, really good. His timing is awesome, and it just worked. Sometimes you just get on set and automatically like someone. He was like a little brother, but then he knew his lines and he didn’t bump into the furniture. He gives you a lot. It’s give-and-take, and he gave a lot. It was a lot of fun. It’s definitely work, but it was a lot of fun. It was an E-ticket ride, really.

Ralph always had a lighter presence in the comics, and he’s funny, but you’ve effectively darkened him up, a little bit. What made you want to give him a grittier past?

KREISBERG:  You don’t want to add something that you already have. Ralph, in the comics, is very squeaky clean and a good guy, and the one thing we didn’t have on this show, because everybody is so likeable, is a jerk. Harry is a jerk, in a different way, but we didn’t have somebody who was just a louse and crude and who liked to drink, and who’s somebody that would come in and point out how silly it is that everybody is in a superhero show. With so many of these characters, they’re not who they are yet. They’re becoming the Green Arrow, or becoming The Flash. We thought it would be interesting if he had a murkier backstory, so that by the time we got to season whatever, he’s the Ralph Dibny that everybody knows and loves from the comics. ...

... We just thought that would be the funniest thing we could possibly do to Joe. For all of the insane things that he deals with, like meta-humans, breachers, people from other dimensions and time travelers, that “Holy crap, I’m middle-aged and I’m going to have a baby again” thing just seemed like the funniest thing we could do. We’ve been trying to ground the show more in people having real issues without it being so ,“I saw the future!,” or the kinds of problems that people don’t have.

Ehhh -- so Joe & Cecile are having a baby because they thought it was funny? Um, y'all are going to have to deal with that new character (even if it's a minor one) for the rest of forever, Kreisberg. (Or maybe not! See: Wally, Linda, Julian, Capt. Singh...)

• Love 1

'Tom Cavanagh reveals tricks of the trade from funniest episode yet'

TOM CAVANAGH: I’ve been back on this show for a couple of episodes, but I’ve literally spent the entire time shepherding along the story of 404, because I’m prepping it, directing it, acting in it, editing it. I’ve put 97 percent of the time and energy of this season into that episode. It’s the classic Flash with gunplay and explosions, romance, fighting, comedy. It’s interesting because Carlos Valdes and I are always looking to find ways to accentuate moments with humor — not humor as an aside, but rather humor that comes organically out of a moment, which sounds like an obnoxious thing to say, but think about movies like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, where it’s like, “I can’t swim.” “Are you kidding, the fall will probably kill you!” Die Hard: “Now I have a machine gun. Ho, ho, ho.” The stakes were already established and the humor was in the moments as opposed to beside the moments. What’s interesting about this season is we’re making an attempt to follow that template much more than we ever have done in the past, and as somebody who’s tried to push that agenda in season’s past, it’s lovely to have people encouraging that movement. So 404 is filled with that kind of stuff. There’s even a Die Hard homage, Princess Bride, there’s a lot of fun things in there that I think that the fans are going to enjoy.

13 hours ago, Trini said:

4.05 promo:

Okay, from the preview that I saw last night, it looks like Barry is Foxed. Snoockered. DRUNK. How is that possible? Remember in season one when he sang so beautifully, "Summer Lovin'" (only two lines, dammit!) and Caitlin made our my ears bleed, that he couldn't. COULD.NOT get drunk because of his superduperfastsuperfast metabolism? Unless Kara brought over that cocktail that knocks her flat drunk?

2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Okay, from the preview that I saw last night, it looks like Barry is Foxed. Snoockered. DRUNK. How is that possible? Remember in season one when he sang so beautifully, "Summer Lovin'" (only two lines, dammit!) and Caitlin made our my ears bleed, that he couldn't. COULD.NOT get drunk because of his superduperfastsuperfast metabolism? Unless Kara brought over that cocktail that knocks her flat drunk?

I doubt they forgot about this plot point, as evidence in this past episode, where Joe's drinking the beer he brought over alone. I just assume Cisco whipped up a special alcoholic concoction for Barry to drink.

2 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I doubt they forgot about this plot point, as evidence in this past episode, where Joe's drinking the beer he brought over alone. I just assume Cisco whipped up a special alcoholic concoction for Barry to drink.

Loki.gif

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

I just assume Cisco whipped up a special alcoholic concoction for Barry to drink.

There's quick clip in the the promo that suggests this is exactly what happens.

• Love 1

Chronicles of Cisco:

... I created Barry’s suit, therefore, I am the king of costumes – and this year, unlike the others, I have a partner in crime to do an epic couples costumes.  Luke and Lea, Danny and Sandy, Lloyd and Harry, Eleven and Mike – the ideas are endless!!! And since I was the best boyfriend ever and participated in some 1-1-1 Day action for Gypsy – it’s her time to return the favor.

HOWEVER, we hit a little snag in my plan – and his name is… Josh. ...

EW interview with Tom Cavanagh about episode 4.06, "When Harry Met Harry". *spoilers*

Well, this clearly didn't translate, because those are not Trejo's body proportions. (for comparison) The final costume, the coat was too long for his frame.

I like most of the costume designs in the Berlanti-verse, I just wish they didn't use black p/leather so much.

New Caitlin/Killer Frost poster:

The-Flash-Killer-Frost-Poster.jpg?q=35&w

They've had much better KF posters/promo photos before. This looks like they just recolored a Season 1 still.

Edited by Trini

Some quotes from Amanda Pays and J.W. Shipp from Super Megafest Comic Con:

In season two, a scene between Henry and Amanda setting up a possible romance was, alas, cut for space. “I didn’t know the scene didn’t make it on-screen until I watched the episode,” says Pays. Unfortunately, it hasn’t shown up either online or as a DVD extra. “The scene was shot beautifully,” recalls Shipp.

Time will tell if The Flash producers invite Shipp and Pays back for more episodes. (Perhaps the current Flash can visit a dimension where Shipp’s Flash is living today, happily with Tina?) In addition to playing Jay, Shipp brings to the table insights into the core dynamics of the program’s characters.

Case in point: Shipp notes that it had to have stung Henry that his son didn’t follow in his footsteps by going into medicine.

Instead, he became a police scientist, in part, because his surrogate dad, Joe, is a detective. “What if Jay had mentored Joe’s son Wally [the speedster known as Kid Flash] in a way that Joe wasn’t able to?” suggests Shipp. “The tables would be turned. Is that not a brilliant idea?”

https://soaphub.com/entertainment/back-in-a-flash-catching-up-with-john-wesley-shipp-and-amanda-pays-of-the-flash/

That's an interesting comment by John (about Barry not going into medicine), but I'm pretty sure it was said onscreen that the reason Barry became a CSI was because of what happened to his mother/to clear his dad (not sure the exact words). But that scenario of Wally being mentored by Jay is interesting. Since Wally is finding himself, maybe he could go over to Earth 3?

• Love 1

Episode preview at TV Guide:

Spoiler

Thanks to a powerful little potion from Cisco (Carlos Valdes) that happens to be way stronger than the one from Season 1, Barry (Grant Gustin) spends most of the night in a state of extreme intoxication, which is, of course, hilarious. We'll see the complete spectrum of drunk emotion from Barry in Tuesday's episode: happy drunk, hungry drunk, sad drunk, and everyone's favorite, cuddly drunk.

Of course, all this partying does have one major downside: Barry will be too sauced to save everyone. But in an episode all about girl power, it should come as no surprise that the female members of Team Flash will have no problem stepping up and stopping the bad guys in between their raucous bachelorette festivities.

Interview with Katee Sackoff (a few *spoilers*):

And when I got on the phone with Andrew Kreisberg, he sent a picture of what they wanted Amunet to look like, sort of gave me the basis of her, because there’s not a ton of source material there. And then he said the magic words, ‘We’d be lucky to have you. What would you want to do?’ And that was just such an amazing amount of freedom to be given to myself from somebody like Andrew.

And so I sort of did some homework and came back to him, and I was like ‘Well, you know, I want to make her this way, this way, and this way. And I want to make her British!’ And he was like ‘What are you talking about?’ I was like ‘I just do!’ And he was like ‘Why?’ And I said ‘You know, she’s Blacksmith, and she works with metal. And to me, if I’m looking for justification in that decision, it makes complete sense that that would come from Europe. And plus, everything just sounds more maniacal in an over the top British accent.’ And he was like ‘Okay, I trust you.’ And I said ‘Thanks!’

Grant Gustin interview: *SPOILERS*:

In the episode “Girls Night Out,” we get to see a rare drunk Barry (“It was fun,” he said. “It was like, if we’re going to get drunk, let’s just be like plastered drunk. Like schwasted […]It was definitely a different side of Barry. I feel like we haven’t ever seen him like that”), and some more of Hartley Sawyer’s Ralph Dibney (The Elongated Man) being a part of Team Flash. “Hartley and I started to hit it off right away, honestly,” Gustin said. “I’m sure everyone’s made this connection, comparison. He’s like a young Jim Carrey. Someone started to say it on set right away, just all the physical comedy stuff he can do. ”

Edited by Trini

http://chroniclesofcisco.tumblr.com/post/167277196310/best-man-coming-in-hot-bachelor-party-time-and-i

Best Man coming in hot!! Bachelor party time and I am all over that – this is the type of stuff your boy lives for.  Barry’s only request was to keep it a low key night which at first I balked at because you gotta go big for your last night with your boys but then I remembered… Barry fights crime twenty-four seven – the words Netflix and chill are not in his vocabulary, therefore, I decided to oblige on his request – which only gave me the light bulb for a much, much bigger and better idea to help Barry chill out…