Type keyword(s) to search

Dwayne Cassius Pride

• Start Topic

I like the character - he seems kind of like what the mothership's Gibbs could have been with less tragedy in his life - a bit less cynical and more hopeful.

And as I said back on TWOP, Pride's nickname is King, Gibbs' name is Leroy (le roi, king in French, which they happen to speak in New Orleans). I refuse to believe that was an accident. 

But yes, that accent needs to go.

"I like the character - he seems kind of like what the mothership's Gibbs could have been with less tragedy in his life - a bit less cynical and more hopeful."

Excellent point!  I could totally see Gibbs being more like King had Shannon and Kelly survived. I'm hoping they'll do more crossovers in the upcoming season.  Nothing more delicious than Mark Harmond and Scott Bakula sharing a scene.

• Love 1

Whenever I find a new character whose name is either Dwayne or Dwight, it reminds me of a scene from The West Wing where Jed says there are only three words in the English language that begin with "DW". Two are dwell and dwarf. Any guesses on the third? (Sorry if this is off-topic, but...)

Whenever I find a new character whose name is either Dwayne or Dwight

It struck me that the only white men I know named Dwayne are over 40, and the only boys/young men I know named Dwayne are non-white--if that makes any sense. Was there a generational/cultural shift.

Still off topic, sorry, but that WW "dw" always always bugged me.  There are three root words beginning with dw.  But there are also:

• dwells
  • dwelled
  • dwelling
  • dwellings
  • dweller (?)
  • dwarfed
  • dwarves
  • dwindles
  • dwindled

all of which I managed to spit out before the scene ends.  And if it had been written correctly, Toby would have listed all of them too.

Back to the show!  Scott Bakula is still mighty fine!!!

Edited by kassygreene
When the show does the flashy thing across Pride's face to mark the end of each act/advertisement break, I keep expecting him to leap...

Huge bonus points to this show if it somehow manages to work in the phrase "trying to find his way back home" in an episode!  :D

• Love 1

Whenever I find a new character whose name is either Dwayne or Dwight, it reminds me of a scene from The West Wing where Jed says there are only three words in the English language that begin with "DW". Two are dwell and dwarf. Any guesses on the third? (Sorry if this is off-topic, but...)

Ha.. I remember that. And Toby retorts "You would d'well to report your winnings (from the game) to the IRS because I sure will!"

Um... on topic... if only this show were written half that well. It is dwarfed by TWW but I'll try not to dwell on my dwindling interest in it.

• Love 1

Still off topic, sorry, but that WW "dw" always always bugged me.  There are three root words beginning with dw.  But there are also:

• dwells
  • dwelled
  • dwelling
  • dwellings
  • dweller (?)
  • dwarfed
  • dwarves
  • dwindles
  • dwindled

all of which I managed to spit out before the scene ends.  And if it had been written correctly, Toby would have listed all of them too.

Back to the show!  Scott Bakula is still mighty fine!!!

OK, show off. :-)

And yes, I'm a vocabulary dweeb.

• Love 1

Ha.. I remember that. And Toby retorts "You would d'well to report your winnings (from the game) to the IRS because I sure will!"

Um... on topic... if only this show were written half that well. It is dwarfed by TWW but I'll try not to dwell on my dwindling interest in it.

Groan!

Huge bonus points to this show if it somehow manages to work in the phrase "trying to find his way back home" in an episode!  :D

Double points if they get Dean Stockwell for a guest appearance. :-)

• Love 3

I think they have toned down the accents somewhat in the 2nd season.  I live in Baton Rouge and when the show first came on I cringed at the pronunciations of some words.  Most New Orleans natives do not have what one associates with a southern accent. 

I don't think I know what the real thing sounds like. I don't know any natives of the area, and the accents I see on TV range from John Besh, who doesn't appear to have one, to the Neville and Marsalis brothers, who maybe have a slight one sometimes, to Justin Wilson (but that was a put on, right?).

Who do you think sounds like whatever a south Louisiana accent sounds like?

John Besh is what most of the natives of our generation sound like.  He lives in the same town as I do, just outside New Orleans.  We've lost much of the accent that is attempted by the actors on NCIS New Orleans.  Our parents and grandparents had the Brooklyn-esque pronunciations.  Even the later generation Chalmatians don't have the accent.  

• Love 1

I do agree that Scott Bakula is mighty fine as is Mark Harmon. I have taken a few months break from the show, got caught up in Hill Street Blues where there were also a lot of mighty fine men. But back to topic, does Pride live above the office, and what kind of federal department has doors that open directly onto the street, open most of the time, all that high tech equipment and highly confidential subjects being discussed. I saw an episode a few days ago where there were other people not in the regular cast going up the stairs in the background. I didn't see any place to discuss the offices. 

And back to Hill Street Blues for just a moment, a very young CCH Pounder is in a few episodes, one as a hooker and one as a wife of someone involved with a case. 

• Love 1