Type keyword(s) to search

Our Wild Life - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Yay! I am happy we have a forum!

To me, this is a show about animal hoarding, but the family has the financial resources to sustain the hoard. 

I am personally opposed to people owning wild animals, but I have to admit, their pet lemur is pretty amazing! I'm worried that a show like this will inspire people to try to get one. They didn't mention how/why they have a lemur, or why they would be rescuing it.

I am also very intrigued by the kangaroos. From the little I know about them, they can be very aggressive as adults. I am wondering if being raised by humans from birth has any effect on that. I know it doesn't work for animals like monkeys once the monkey goes through puberty.

I also love the miniature horse.

• Love 7

I feel the same way about exotic animals; I am just hoping that all these creatures are rescues that cannot be rehomed to appropriate sanctuaries or top notch zoos.  I do think the family is a hoot - at least on a superficial level, but if they are running a "zoo" I need to see just a hint of knowledge about what that entails.  This lady has a lot of love - but hasn't shown an iota of education, training or experience with wild/exotic animals, nor have they alluded to the expert assistance needed (i.e. veterinary care, etc.).

Of course, this is TLC, so the trashy entertainment factor is high, and the educational factor is non-existent  ("L" used to stand for "Learning").

Of course, I'm watching ...

• Love 3

To their credit they do have at least two men who work on their property taking care of the animals. I'm going to assume the men are getting paid. From what I could see, the animals appear to be clean and healthy and they have adequate space and enclosures.  Now that the family is on national tv, I'm optimistic that if they are being neglectful to the animals, it will come out.

• Love 3

yes, some states allow owning all kinds of wild animals that should not be pets. it wasn't made clear if all the animals are rescues, she did mention a couple. if not, shame. it does look they are cared for but if this is not a legit rescue, not too good. the bottom line is the laws in this country need to change. 

• Love 2
2 hours ago, msrachelj said:

yes, some states allow owning all kinds of wild animals that should not be pets. it wasn't made clear if all the animals are rescues, she did mention a couple. if not, shame. it does look they are cared for but if this is not a legit rescue, not too good. the bottom line is the laws in this country need to change. 

Exactly.  Like, NO private ownership of exotic animals, for instance (unless you are a certified wildlife rehabilitator).  That would be a start to this ever-increasing problem.  Stupid States - take notice.

Sure, her animals seem loved and well cared for.  Hell, if I had the money, I'd be tempted to love and care for every damned animal on earth.  But it is dead wrong to perpetuate any unwarranted animal captivity, breeding, or "roadside attraction zoo".

[/soapbox]

• Love 3

my kiddo enjoyed this show. i found it... exhausting. the mom’s “cute” act bored me quickly. all the nose scrunching and baby talking was just too much. and when she mentioned, while caring for the llama, that she paid for her hair to look like that... i was astonished. she’s definitely a woman of a certain age. “asking” permission from your support staff just seemed contrived.

i love a good southern drawl but could only take this family in small manageable doses. the “wolf” was cute but, possibly, impractical. 

may try the show again but it’ll be a tough watch i believe. 

3 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

Exactly.  Like, NO private ownership of exotic animals, for instance (unless you are a certified wildlife rehabilitator).  That would be a start to this ever-increasing problem.  Stupid States - take notice.

Sure, her animals seem loved and well cared for.  Hell, if I had the money, I'd be tempted to love and care for every damned animal on earth.  But it is dead wrong to perpetuate any unwarranted animal captivity, breeding, or "roadside attraction zoo".

[/soapbox]

i agree. it sickens me to think about roadside zoos, animal petting zoos, attractions at fairs etc. tiger cub handling. ugh/ i can't go on. i love animals more than people frankly.

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

i agree. it sickens me to think about roadside zoos, animal petting zoos, attractions at fairs etc. tiger cub handling. ugh/ i can't go on. i love animals more than people frankly.

@msrachelj - I guess we're on the same wavelength.  I am all for animals and the environment, all the time, and am often frustrated (if not enraged) by human foibles.  Needless to say, I have very few humans in my life (and now that my Mum is gone, they're almost all PTVrs!!!).  But my life is rich with critters (domestic, semi-feral &  totally wild - I feed them all).   :-)

• Love 2
Just now, walnutqueen said:

@msrachelj - I guess we're on the same wavelength.  I am all for animals and the environment, all the time, and am often frustrated (if not enraged) by human foibles.  Needless to say, I have very few humans in my life (and now that my Mum is gone, they're almost all PTVrs!!!).  But my life is rich with critters (domestic, semi-feral &  totally wild - I feed them all).   :-)

sounds like we are quite alike! have birds nesting in the eaves, baby/grown rabbits all around me. the occasional cat that some p.o.s drops off. (ahem. hate. people) etc.  wildlife is welcome here. i gave up on my vegetable garden because, no contest, the animals are more important than the tomatoes etc i can buy at the farmers market. i do wish the deer, i think it's deer!, would stop eating my flowers/plants. i don't have many people in my life either. these boards and some closed f.b. pages are my friends. sometimes it's better than dealing with people and their issues anyway.

thank you for caring for the animals and the environment. it feels like we are the minority, doesn't' it?

• Love 1
1 minute ago, msrachelj said:

sounds like we are quite alike! have birds nesting in the eaves, baby/grown rabbits all around me. the occasional cat that some p.o.s drops off. (ahem. hate. people) etc.  wildlife is welcome here. i gave up on my vegetable garden because, no contest, the animals are more important than the tomatoes etc i can buy at the farmers market. i do wish the deer, i think it's deer!, would stop eating my flowers/plants. i don't have many people in my life either. these boards and some closed f.b. pages are my friends. sometimes it's better than dealing with people and their issues anyway.

thank you for caring for the animals and the environment. it feels like we are the minority, doesn't' it?

You'd be surprised how many people here embrace our outlook on life.  I can't tell you how many times I've told stories about wild birds, beloved cats, possums, baby skunks and raccoon antics - and have found other fierce animal lovers who encourage my loquacious tendencies.   :-)

I'm afraid to Google this show, lest my worst suspicions are confirmed.

• Love 2

This show is funny and the animals are cute. However I don’t even want to imagine what that house smells like, and it would be a cold day in hell before I’d eat any food that was prepared there! 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, walnutqueen said:

You'd be surprised how many people here embrace our outlook on life.  I can't tell you how many times I've told stories about wild birds, beloved cats, possums, baby skunks and raccoon antics - and have found other fierce animal lovers who encourage my loquacious tendencies.   :-)

I'm afraid to Google this show, lest my worst suspicions are confirmed.

i'm afraid also. i just pray she keeps caring for these animals and has lots of help.  

• Love 3
(edited)

I've been watching with lots of questions in mind.  I'm glad it's all (or mostly) rescued animals, & also hope they're not breeding & that was just a story line, like the silly pig baby shower (I'm silly but that was too much even for me).

It looks like a small town & they've got many people involved in the show, which is cute. The 'nanny' (sorry, can't spell what they call her LOL) is entertaining.

The thing that bothers me is if it's an actual petting zoo, then again the whole thing is fake. It's TLC deciding to spin it as a crazy southern lady collecting exotic 'pets'. I doubt some of these animals spend time in the house, or at least not as much as being presented. The lemur would be spraying pee & poop all over the place, while they're cooking, & that's just so unsanitary. I don't believe it's that wild an atmosphere in home. They are probably very hands on cared for, making them sweet & docile for visitors, but of course production had to make it more crazy than 'just' a petting zoo. Personally, I'd be happy just seeing how they run the little zoo & their family etc; I wouldn't need all this spin & crazy along with it, but that's TLC (sigh).

Edited by gonecrackers
  • Love 3
(edited)

I’ve been waiting for two weeks for this forum to pop up!  I’m too lazy to request it myself, but grateful to the awesome soul who did. 

First of all, I think she’s a nice enough woman.  It’s hard to tell how genuine her sunny attitude is, but I guess that’s true for any of us.  I have zero doubt that she has a pure heart for animals.  People who love animals and take care of those who need homes and TLC (the real kind, not this boneheaded network) are automatically elevated in my eyes.  I do, however, have a big issue with the fact that she breeds animals.  Say it with me, breeders: We already have too many animals who need homes.  Stop making more!

I agree with those of you who doubt that some of these animals are spending as much time inside the house as they’re trying to portray.  The Bible study, or whatever that was, would have been impossible with animals urinating and defecating all over the floor.  Clean me a clean freak (a fair accusation), but I was cringing when they picked up crap with a single paper towel and didn’t go over the spot with a Clorox wipe, at the least.  My brain was screaming, “BARE FEET, BARE FEET!”  But again, I’m sure that half of these creatures do not have unrestricted run of the house when filming ends. 

I love the older woman and her sassiness.  She’s the kind of woman who gives you plenty of attitude, but would also give you the shirt off her back if you needed it.  Whatever the arrangement, I’m glad she’s being well taken care of in her golden years.  

And finally . . .

On 6/1/2018 at 2:55 PM, Maya said:

This show is funny and the animals are cute. However I don’t even want to imagine what that house smells like, and it would be a cold day in hell before I’d eat any food that was prepared there! 

THIS.  Hell to the no.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 5

I'm on the first episode.  If I had the money, this would probably be my life.  Although I would definitely have dogs and cats, too.  I'm embarrassed to admit I have a little fear of birds - especially the sound of their flapping wings.

If having the menagerie in the house would keep that "I'm not going to judge" Bible Lady away, I'd bring in the camel.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

If having the menagerie in the house would keep that "I'm not going to judge" Bible Lady away, I'd bring in the camel.

Maybe the new sloth will do the trick ?

• Love 2

I was against the idea of a wolf when it was first brought up.  How could the other animals remain safe?  But I'm in love with Axel Rose.  If he wasn't so big, I would think they were lying that he was a wolf hybrid.  He doesn't have that alert, intelligent gaze of a wolf, or even a malamute (or a mala-moot).  If Axel could speak he would sound like a Duggar, and begin his sentence with, "duh".  I loved how the kids were very wary of Axel yet snuggled up with him the following morning.  

That wolf has got to be the descendent of a very long line of domesticated wolves and the product of an omega line.  Belt the sloth could easily beat the crap out of and dominate Axel.

I'm really liking Nay Nay (Naa Naa?) but did she say she was a teacher for decades?  She's been with Jaxon since he was two months old yet doesn't correct, "that don't make no sense"?

I believe Belt finds her way into tight spaces, but she's not closing the door behind herself.  Poor baby.  I hope she isn't forgotten about and left in a closet.

• Love 2
(edited)

I'm pretty sure Axel isn't a wolf-hybrid. Or if he is, he's more like 75% dog 25% wolf. (This show bugs the hell out of me. Why the fuck do you have porcupines or a frickin' lemur or a sloth?)
I love that foul-mouthed bird though.

Uuugh stop letting your ferret free-roam. That's not safe and I bet that house isn't ferretproof not to mention all the animals.

Edited by PupCal
  1. Im from the infamous state of Ohio where the wack a doodle man in Zanesville let all his tigers and lions out...then shot himself...state patrol had to kill all of these animals...was horrid...…..please dont keep non domesticated animals....that right there was so awful...….this is why they have zoos with zoologists vets and professional people to handle these animals...……….I understand this ladies love of animals and I rescue too but wow not wild animals
  • Love 2
On 6/2/2018 at 9:57 PM, Christi said:

I found their website...its a petting zoo.  Actually a lot better than some, which have babies in the petting zoo, then sell them for slaughter when they become adults

http://www.itsazoolife.com

that sucks. 

12 hours ago, seahag50 said:
  1. Im from the infamous state of Ohio where the wack a doodle man in Zanesville let all his tigers and lions out...then shot himself...state patrol had to kill all of these animals...was horrid...…..please dont keep non domesticated animals....that right there was so awful...….this is why they have zoos with zoologists vets and professional people to handle these animals...……….I understand this ladies love of animals and I rescue too but wow not wild animals

amen. sincerely. what is wrong with some of the states in this country? this needs to change. poor babies.

i'm writing the station that airs this to stop putting this crap on tv , too many nutcases out there that think this is a good thing. devastating. 

• Love 1

If this was truly just a crazy lady taking in exotic animals & letting some roam around the house, etc, it would not be a good situation. But it's an actual, small zoo, who seem equipped to care for the animals & are doing mostly (if not all) rescue (& hopefully not breeding). The problem is the production company billing it as just a crazy 'pet' owner, when it's not that situation. People see that & get ideas, when there's no reason. I would've been happy to see this portrayed 'as is' - an exotic animal rescue/zoo, but of course that's not good enough for 'reality TV'.

• Love 3

It was a sweet moment when Jackson and Nay Nay were in the car and Jackson was asking why she didn't have a boyfriend. I think he knows exactly what to say to her riled up. I dont know if its just for the camera but I thought it was sad when Nay Nay said Jackson was her best friend. He's 7 years old and she's retirement age! You think she'd have someone else closer to her age as a best friend. And she's a good basketball player.

I also like the daughters. They seem well adjusted and have a good sense of humor. And the oldest didnt complain when Nay Nay told her and her boyfriend to leave enough room for Jesus between them.

• Love 5
(edited)

This may be all for show (i.e. TeeVee), but I doubt the very real affection can be faked.  Not the love for animals; and not the love for the kidlet.  There's nothing sad or wrong about an old person having a young BFF.  I think it is sweet.  I should be so lucky.  ;-)

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 5
On 6/3/2018 at 9:30 AM, SuzyLee said:

I’ve been waiting for two weeks for this forum to pop up!  I’m too lazy to request it myself, but grateful to the awesome soul who did.

You are welcome!! :)

I like this show.  We all know these reality shows are produced to the hilt, and the producers are undoubtedly amping up the "crazy Southern family" angle here. Despite that, there is a friendly, down-to-earth vibe about these people that seems genuine.  They do seem to take very good care of the animals. I basically fast-forward through the scenes that lack animals as they are the main focus for me. Its really fun to see such a unique mixture of animals. The sloth is amazing! It was just very wild to see one crawling around someone's home! I like the lemur too and was glad to see he had a nice big cage inside the house.

• Love 6

I agree that even though we know reality shows are very scripted, it would be impossible to fake the affection and natural interaction with the animals.   I know it would take me years not to jump or scream with a lemur ping-ponging through the kitchen, and these people just keep on talking, cooking, cleaning when that boy goes zipping around.  Even Naa Naa doesn't seem particularly startled by a flash of movement bouncing onto her chair, then ricocheting off like Sheriff Bing Bing Bing Ricochet Rabbit.

As a woman who's still not gotten her dog and cat to cohabit peacefully, I'm impressed at the scene of a menagerie of animals - including a wolf hybrid! - peacefully coexisting.  

• Love 3

I actually like this show.  I love the relationship between NaaNaa and Jackson and the girls. When she told the daughter and boyfriend to stop cuddling the daughter got up and gave NaaNaa a hug. NaaNaa may boss them around but the entire family seems to respect her.  NaaNaa also has some of the same reactions I would have about the animals.  

I love and respect all animals but I don't think I could have all of them living inside the house with me.  There is actually a rug on the floor and I cringe every time I see the rug.  I would think it would be impossible for it not to have a terrible odor.