Type keyword(s) to search

S25.E06: Not So Trivial Pursuits

• Start Topic

I enjoy the trivia & it's fun to see them go flying into the water. With that said, it's not a physical challenge & it could let the weaker players slide by. That part I don't like.

It's always fun to see how stupid people can be, especially with the threat of getting drenched. Apparently, people from Australia speak Dutch. Who knew? It's another reason to hate Johnny.

I'm happy with the elimination results . . . Camila sucks, so it's always fun to see her crash and burn. Jordan gets to match Johnny, and their inevitable clash draws closer.

I consider myself fairly intelligent, but I have to admit that there were a couple questions there that I also was having trouble with. However, Johnny should never be allowed to live down answering that Australians speak Dutch. That's just plain idiocy. 

Is Camila always this emotionally fragile or was something else going on? She cried at the challenge, during the elimination, and after the elimination. I know she's always had a bad temper (especially when it came to Johnny, and who can blame her?), but all the tears drove me nuts. Put on your big girl panties and get to work. 

If I hadn't already known that Jordan was going to verse Johnny in an elimination later in the season, I would've figured he'd have been going home tonight. But that he beat Swift in the elimination and so handedly? I was impressed. That Johnny was downplaying Jordan's win was kind of bullshit. 

I confess, I don't know who the 3rd president of the US was either. Part of me thought the trivia questions were not evenly matched in difficulty. Some of them were brutally easy - What language do they speak in Australia - while others were really difficult (to my mind) like the one that knocked CT out about the middle weight UFC winner or the aforementioned 3rd president of the US. 

I loved CT's little ritual about the draw. I had to rewind it because it was just so... CT. 

I also loved TJ's absolute GLEE at pulling the rope when he got to do it. Damn he has been harsh lately. Between last week's "congratulations Bananas" when CT drew the blank card and this week, I'm really starting to enjoy him. 

• Love 1
(edited)

Camilla put something on twitter about being with her family and properly mourning her father. I am NOT a Camilla fan. Not even close, and I'm glad she's not on the show anymore. But, I knew the crying and emotion was weird last night. That is so not how Camilla behaves. I don't think Theresa beat her at all. Camilla gave up. You saw her just let go and roll over. There was something else going on, and it apparently had to do with her dad. So Theresa, you did not beat one of the stronger competitors. You were handed that win, sweetheart.

Laurel killed me with that "execution list". It was mean, but it was smart. I'm a fan of Laurel's. I've loved her ever since she put Paula Dumbnuts in her place on Rivals. She is seriously turning me off with this Jordan relationship, though. He's such a nasty piece of work. I can't stand Johnny Bananas, but I hope he just vaporizes Jordan in whatever elimination they do. Jordan is so damn cocky. Flipping over all the cards til he gets the kill card beause he wants to take on Bananas? I really can't wait to see that play out. And it makes me hate Jordan even more because he is making me root for Johnny Bananas!! Ugh.

Edited by pumpkinspice
  • Love 1
(edited)

Aren't they IN Uruguay? I mean, I love CT and all but yeesh.

There must have been something behind the scenes about the UFC question because there was a lot of back and forth on Twitter and TJ said it was a brain fart.

Edited by mojoween
Could someone explain how "the last American President" was George Bush?

I wondered about that as well, but decided that what they meant was the president of the US before the current one. It might be reaching. It could have been worded "Who was the president of the US before the current president?" (Especially if a later question was who is the current president)

The only questions I found really difficult were the sports ones (except Mahatma Gandhi - I mean, Muhammad Ali, lol) and the ones where the contestant had to identify a specific year when an event took place. There were 1 or 2 geography ones that were a little tricky too. But the spelling and language ones were seriously grade school level. (I cut Cohutta some slack for "svelte" since he obviously didn't have the cultural references.) I always come out of these challenges with a serious case of second-hand embarrassment.

Anyway, I kind of love that the girly-girl contestants like Devyn and Jessica are still in this. I'd love it if Devyn, Nany or Cara Maria won it for the girls, and Cohutta or Leroy for the guys, but I don't see that happening.

• Love 1

I confess, I don't know who the 3rd president of the US was either. Part of me thought the trivia questions were not evenly matched in difficulty. Some of them were brutally easy - What language do they speak in Australia - while others were really difficult (to my mind) like the one that knocked CT out about the middle weight UFC winner or the aforementioned 3rd president of the US. 

Agreed. I think one of Devyn's questions was, "What does the heart pump?" How is that a question for someone who isn't in kindergarden? And then, as you said, CT received a question about the middleweight UFC winner. There appeared to be no rhyme or reason for the difficulty of the questions and who received them, which seemed unfair. In my mind, there should have been a Round 1, 2, 3, etc., in which the questions increased in difficulty. However, judging from the "Name the last American president" question, I don't think there were Jeopardy! caliber writers and researchers working on this challenge. 

I consider myself fairly intelligent, but I have to admit that there were a couple questions there that I also was having trouble with. However, Johnny should never be allowed to live down answering that Australians speak Dutch. That's just plain idiocy. 

Is Camila always this emotionally fragile or was something else going on? She cried at the challenge, during the elimination, and after the elimination. I know she's always had a bad temper (especially when it came to Johnny, and who can blame her?), but all the tears drove me nuts. Put on your big girl panties and get to work. 

If I hadn't already known that Jordan was going to verse Johnny in an elimination later in the season, I would've figured he'd have been going home tonight. But that he beat Swift in the elimination and so handedly? I was impressed. That Johnny was downplaying Jordan's win was kind of bullshit. 

Jordan beating Swift was nothing to brag about. Swift has been one of the weakest players to every play the game. He didn't even make it to the rope. So basically Jordan won a race where the opponent fell down then he had to just pull himself up. Don't get me wrong, I think Jordan is a great competitor, handicap or not. I don't think he's shown us anything this season compared to last Challenge. He for sure hasn't shown enough to be acting the way he  has been acting.

Could someone explain how "the last American President" was George Bush?

TJ enjoyed this challenge a little too much.

I did enjoy CT's little squirrel brain going into overdrive trying to figure out the national language of Uruguay.

The last president was Bush because Obama is the current present. It doesn't matter if he's been it for 2 terms, he's still current so last would mean before him.

It's always fun to see how stupid people can be, especially with the threat of getting drenched. Apparently, people from Australia speak Dutch. Who knew? It's another reason to hate Johnny.

I'm happy with the elimination results . . . Camila sucks, so it's always fun to see her crash and burn. Jordan gets to match Johnny, and their inevitable clash draws closer.

The Dutch question was an embarrassment but I feel the girls received much easier questions. Laurel had to spell "shallow" while the guys received much harder words & questions. 

Agreed. I think one of Devyn's questions was, "What does the heart pump?" How is that a question for someone who isn't in kindergarden? And then, as you said, CT received a question about the middleweight UFC winner. There appeared to be no rhyme or reason for the difficulty of the questions and who received them, which seemed unfair. In my mind, there should have been a Round 1, 2, 3, etc., in which the questions increased in difficulty. However, judging from the "Name the last American president" question, I don't think there were Jeopardy! caliber writers and researchers working on this challenge. 

I agree, the questions were not fair. How did Laurel get the word "shallow" but others received much harder words to spell. What about Nany's question? What measures temperature? The guys questions to me were much harder with just a couple of super easy ones.

(edited)

Agreed. I think one of Devyn's questions was, "What does the heart pump?" How is that a question for someone who isn't in kindergarden? And then, as you said, CT received a question about the middleweight UFC winner. There appeared to be no rhyme or reason for the difficulty of the questions and who received them, which seemed unfair.

Jonna was asked that. Devyn's question was something like "What body of water does California border?" In defense of Devyn they also asked her when MTV first premiered and she got that one right but this challenge does seem to be a bit meddled with just to gives other players (who usually suck at physical or endurance challenges) the image of being more intelligent than the other cast members, which really doesn't say much. Then again it could all be random, I don't think the writers were expecting Zach to be "obsessed with Disney princesses".

What exactly makes the other competitors consider someone as strong? These same crop of guys who considered Camilia to be one of the top females were also the ones who claimed that Jemmye was a strong competitor as well. The only girls I really considered strong players were Laurel, and Cara Maria, and all the other girls kinda fall in place under them.

Edited by Trinimac
What exactly makes the other competitors consider someone as strong?

My nearest understanding of their definition of "strong" is one of 2 things. 1. If they like the person (or want to have sex with them) they are somehow a "strong competitor." 2. If they don't like the person but the person has worn them as a backpack, they are a "strong competitor." Everybody else is not a "strong competitor." 

• Love 3

Jonna was asked that. Devyn's question was something like "What body of water does California border?" In defense of Devyn they also asked her when MTV first premiered and she got that one right but this challenge does seem to be a bit meddled with just to gives other players (who usually suck at physical or endurance challenges) the image of being more intelligent than the other cast members, which really doesn't say much. Then again it could all be random, I don't think the writers were expecting Zach to be "obsessed with Disney princesses".

What exactly makes the other competitors consider someone as strong? These same crop of guys who considered Camilia to be one of the top females were also the ones who claimed that Jemmye was a strong competitor as well. The only girls I really considered strong players were Laurel, and Cara Maria, and all the other girls kinda fall in place under them.

I would never say Jemmye is a strong player but Camila is very tough. Her father passed away & she was in mourning, she said mentally she was not ready to be there. Maybe she thought she was but wasn't. Under normal circumstances she would have let her arm be ripped off before quitting. To me the toughest girls to play the game are Rachel, Evelyn, Laurel, Cara Maria (now not before), Emily Schromm & Jodi. Cooke could be a contender but we haven't seen enough of her. 

Johnny and Australians speaking Dutch is the funniest thing he has ever said. I was like whaaat? He talked about it on the after show too and I seriously do think he is very embarrased by that. I would be too!  So glad Camilla is gone. She drives me nuts. I was glad Devyn had the courage to throw in Theresa and not Laurel. Theresa was really scary looking to me in this episode. I kind of love the Jordan and Johnny drama. Finally someone that will speak up to Johnny. 

Johnny and Australians speaking Dutch is the funniest thing he has ever said. I was like whaaat? He talked about it on the after show too and I seriously do think he is very embarrased by that. I would be too!  So glad Camilla is gone. She drives me nuts. I was glad Devyn had the courage to throw in Theresa and not Laurel. Theresa was really scary looking to me in this episode. I kind of love the Jordan and Johnny drama. Finally someone that will speak up to Johnny. 

Part of me feels the Johnny/Jordan drama is contrived. They were cool with each other last Challenge. Jordan & Marlon even saved Paula & Diem from going in & they were Johnny's alliance. I wouldn't put it past Jordan to be playing this up because he realizing acting like an ass gets you cast again & again, plus the more popular they become the more gigs they book. They get paid to show up at events & clubs. I wouldn't doubt he wants to get cast with CT or Johnny for the next Rivals. Makes sense, this is a career for some of them.

• Love 2

I watched a few clips from Battle of the Exes & some of the trivia questions were the same as the ones asked this time. They asked the thermometer question as well as the Sleeping Beauty question. Cast members need to take note.

What exactly makes the other competitors consider someone as strong? These same crop of guys who considered Camilia to be one of the top females were also the ones who claimed that Jemmye was a strong competitor as well. 

I think size and a willingness to get dirty or hurt count for a lot in the eliminations. The final challenge is more about athleticism and endurance but a lot of the eliminations involve physical match ups and the edge usually goes to the player who is big and tough.

Am I the only one who thought Devyn misstepped throwing Theresa in over Laurel? Devyn was so far down on Laurel's list, if she was up front about it, she wouldn't have vaulted to #1. Whatever influence Laurel can gather she isn't going to waste it on Devyn. Theresa on the other hand, is angry, has a lot of friends, and will have no qualms eliminating the easier target.

I'm still wondering if Bananas was thinking about South Africa and not Australia.  They don't speak Dutch in South Africa, but some folks do speak Afrikaans, which is derived from Dutch and Germanic dialects.  Then again....naaah, that's giving him too much credit. 

I was wondering if he'd somehow known the Dutch were the first Europeans to reach Australia yet had complete ignorance about the British arrival more than a hundred years later. But that's pretty hard to believe.

I'm still wondering if Bananas was thinking about South Africa and not Australia.

He was probably thinking Austria. The answer is still wrong but it makes more sense.

I loved TJ's glee at getting to yank the pull cord and send them flying.  He's probably sick of some of their insanity and getting to drop them in the water is his prize for putting up with them season after season.