Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Letting Ghost

'Letting Ghost' - Martin and Lena are thrilled when they hear that Mae has won the lead in the school musical but are surprised to learn that she has been confiding in the school psychiatrist, Dr. Rydacto (guest star Fred Armisen), about her feelings toward how not divorced they are acting. Meanwhile, Martin has reservations about how fast his relationship with his girlfriend is going and asks Mason for girl advice, on 'Splitting Up Together,' TUESDAY, MAY 8 (9:30-10:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

Wow. The doctor pointed out everything that didn't make sense about the entire show. Nice job writers, doesn't mean it's ok, even if you do admit it on the show. That isn't saving face that is: "We talked Ellen DeGenrus in giving us money to make it, aren't we awesome!" 

It's completely normal for divorced parents to both go to see their child in school productions.  They don't have to sit next to each other.  I understand that wasn't the entire issue that Mae was having, but, still.

I don't think a father should ever walk in unannounced to his teen-aged daughter's room if the door is closed, even if he hears her singing, unless he suspects she's in danger or using drugs.  Same for the mother and teen-aged boys.  Really, either parent and a teen-aged child, but the father/daughter combo seems the worst.  They could both be very embarrassed.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, ItCouldBeWorse said:

It's completely normal for divorced parents to both go to see their child in school productions.  They don't have to sit next to each other.  I understand that wasn't the entire issue that Mae was having, but, still.

I don't think a father should ever walk in unannounced to his teen-aged daughter's room if the door is closed, even if he hears her singing, unless he suspects she's in danger or using drugs.  Same for the mother and teen-aged boys.  Really, either parent and a teen-aged child, but the father/daughter combo seems the worst.  They could both be very embarrassed.

Another cliche they went with this show, the father doesn't get his teen age daughter and can't relate. Just like we have established during the start of the series, Martin is so oblivious, his son could get his hand hurt by falling. Martin would be: "Stand up for yourself!" Son: "Dad, I tripped in that sink hole you told mom you fixed." Martin: "I don't know how to do that, let's go play Nintendo Switch and forget this happened." 

41 minutes ago, Kip Hackman said:

This show is so schizophrenic, I don't think they even know what it's trying to be.

I don't think I care enough about it to keep discussing it online.

Exactly and having the the counselor point all the plot holes in everything doesn't solve anything. It just comes off as: "Duh... I'm a big giant man-child and I'm a control freak even though neither one of us were raised that way. So um... I have to go pee now, bye." 

I still like it too. I agree it's meandering and hasn't quite managed to nail the tone it's going for, but the cast is fun, and Oliver and Jenna are so sparkly. It makes me laugh, fairly often.

Has it been established what Martin does for a living? anything? How does one afford that nice house in (where? California?) on the salary of someone who runs/owns(?) a paint your own pottery store?

• Love 2

I literally laugh everytime I see the glasses on Lisa Apple's face after the "don't you look scholarly" of last episode, but suddenly, she doesn't seem so bad when we see the ridiculous airhead hipster Wes is now dating. 

Though I'm definitely happy to see Fred Armisen, I do not get the advice he's giving about the getting along now that they are divorced. I know what he was saying about the daughter being confused but amicable is way better for the kids than being at each other's throats. And miss your daughter's musical debut? Hard pass. No reason they couldn't both attend and just not go together. Still enjoyed the ep despite this brain fart.

I don't know if it's going to be a regular thing or what, but Lena cursing about Lisa Apple and getting bleeped a la Arrested Development? It's working for me.

• Love 4
17 hours ago, JasmineFlower said:

I literally laugh everytime I see the glasses on Lisa Apple's face after the "don't you look scholarly" of last episode, but suddenly, she doesn't seem so bad when we see the ridiculous airhead hipster Wes is now dating. 

Though I'm definitely happy to see Fred Armisen, I do not get the advice he's giving about the getting along now that they are divorced. I know what he was saying about the daughter being confused but amicable is way better for the kids than being at each other's throats. And miss your daughter's musical debut? Hard pass. No reason they couldn't both attend and just not go together. Still enjoyed the ep despite this brain fart.

So glad I’m not the only one who feels that way Lisa Apple’s bleeping Harry Potter glasses! 

Like all of you, I can’t understand why both parents attending the performance, but sitting separately, wasn’t an option.  The therapist thinks it’s preferable for them to hate one another and unable to be in the same room?  

• Love 6
On 5/10/2018 at 1:18 PM, luna1122 said:

Has it been established what Martin does for a living? anything?

When he said that the psychologist was seeing him during "seventh period," I took it to mean that he was a teacher. Then I thought about it and figured maybe that was just a reference to the fact that he is really just supposed to be working with kids during the school day (in which case, how is Martin allowed to see him in regard to issues that are un-kid-related?)

So basically, I still have no idea.

15 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

When he said that the psychologist was seeing him during "seventh period," I took it to mean that he was a teacher. Then I thought about it and figured maybe that was just a reference to the fact that he is really just supposed to be working with kids during the school day (in which case, how is Martin allowed to see him in regard to issues that are un-kid-related?)

There was that reference and even in the premiere, he talked about seeing "the guys" from the office for a game. The original discussion about the divorce in the pilot and second episode was that their house is underwater. They have their bills covered and have signed an official separation, but nothing has come of it. Basically, I don't think the writers knew what to put Martin as. He could be a teacher (which means his pay would be fixed and his hours pretty steady). Or he is working in the community projects in California. Which means he be making a living wage. That said, going forward they would either have to sell the house or have one of them starting to live next door. Because if they do divorce, the house is a lost if it is underwater, even though they one minute complain about money and the next are getting private lessons and putting money down for friend parties. I see them as a pay check to pay check family with good months and ones where their mortgage is being paid a few days late once or twice a year. 

• Love 1
16 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I think that was the joke... Martin's not a school child and can't be seeing a school psychologist.  

They're not going to sell that house.  It's the best thing about the show.  

1 hour ago, Winston9-DT3 said:

I think that was the joke... Martin's not a school child and can't be seeing a school psychologist.  

But he already did have at least one session with the guy...a session that seemed to only pertain to his own issues, not the kids'.

I'm guessing it was supposed to be funny because it's ludicrous, just like dancing alone in a closed nightclub at 5pm?  I don't know, it's not really my brand of humor. 

Though the man-child dad unloading on the kid's school counselor might've been funny in the hands of better writers.  And with Steve Carrell in the role. 

It does seem like the show is sometimes flirting with that The Office style of humor sometimes, but not quite nailing it.  I think if you go there you have to go whole hog.  

I really enjoyed the art show and especially the painting (or print?) that Lisa bought. I was pleased to see on the google machine the artist, Mel Kadel, is a real person, though I couldn't find that particular print.

I guess I was the only one concerned about the turtle. It lives in captivity and would die if released in the wild. Also, it's bad for the ecosystem to release a captive animal.