Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Door County Cherry

Season 14: Briscoe Hangs Up His Shield

I hope that I'm not posting this in the wrong place. I have just watched this episode titled "Bounty" and I'm having a hard time understanding what happened at the end.

First, I just want to say that I never really paid much attention to this show while it was being made. But I've been watching a whole lot of it recently and IMHO, it is one of the finest shows ever produced. I would have to say it's actually in my Top Five list.

But about the episode. Right near the end, McCoy realizes that if he can hint that he has contacted the Defendant's girlfriend, he can get the D to accept a deal and plead guilty. It turns out he is right.

The Defense lawyer - Randy Dworkin - who I'd like to talk more about later, doesn't understand what's going on but his client immediately folds and agrees to plead guilty. The D is African American. He and his gf met in a hotel in some town in Connecticut. McCoy says that even he is "barely white enough" to be able to live in that town. Someone else observed that as soon as that lady reached the stand, all sympathy for the D would be lost and the jury would almost surely convict him. But I can't understand the reasoning. Was it because the gf was also African American? If so, why would that make such a huge impact? It seems like McCoy snookered Dworkin but I cannot - for the life of me - understand why. The entire point of the episode was lost on me.

Does anyone here think they understand what happened at the end? Why did the mere threat of calling this lady as a witness cause the D to just give up on the spot? Why didn't Dworkin - who is portrayed as a very smart lawyer not understand what was happening?

As far as Dworkin goes, I want to say that I thought the few episodes in which he appeared were some of the best episodes of them all. I really enjoyed this guy and I loved all the episodes in which he appeared. I just wish there were more of them. I think there was only three. But I'm not certain.

Thank you all for any help you can give me with this episode.

• Like 1

That was somewhat of a confusing ending I agree, but here’s the explanation in my opinion : The GF was definitely white, and the defense was using affirmative action pressures and not being able to live up to the pressure of his job as the defense, and the reporter having an affair with an upper class white women would weaken his defense which relied on people believing that he couldn’t succeed in and live up to the standards of the “white” world when actually he was dating a wealthy white women. So that’s what it was about IMO.

I love Dworkin as well, such an entertaining and sharp defense lawyer, he appeared 3 times on the original L&O, in the episodes Chosen, Bounty and Thinking Makes It So, and he has appeared twice in this season of SVU, in the episodes Gone Fishin and The Undiscovered Country. His episodes are always awesome, I love his debates with McCoy.

@Xeliou66

Thank you ever so much.

I can finally sleep now that I understand what was going on in that episode. So many wonderful episodes in this show.

I also really appreciate your remarks about the Dworkin character. What a shame that he never appeared in more episodes.

Oh well. I'm sorry to have waited so long before posting in this forum. This is such a great show.

Dick Wolf must be an awesome talent. He developed so many excellent TV shows.  Not only all the Law & Order shows. But also Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, Chicago Justice ... etc.

How can any one person have developed all these leading shows?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, MissBluxom said:

Dick Wolf must be an awesome talent. He developed so many excellent TV shows.  Not only all the Law & Order shows. But also Chicago PD, Chicago Fire, Chicago Med, Chicago Justice ... etc.

New York Undercover, which was on in the mid '90s on Fox, was also his.

But, like any honcho, he had failures: L.A. Dragnet in the early 2000s (with Ed O'Neill as Joe Friday) and Law & Order: Trial By Jury (one season with Bebe Neuwirth as the ADA Tracy Kibre) and Law & Order: Los Angeles (Hot Damned Mess!).

But, yeah, when you consider two L&O shows made it to 20 or near it and one made it 10 seasons? Pretty good! Add in the international adaptions for the Mothership and Criminal Intent (and I wouldn't doubt there are some SVU adaptions floating around), and Wolf and his kin are set for three lifetimes. (I think he may have been a writer for Hill Street Blues, but I'm not 100% sure there.)

I think Shonda Rhimes is the female counterpart to Wolf, even if her shows don't grab me.

• Like 1