Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E02: One Wrong Turn on Bourbon

When a mysterious disappearance brings Klaus back to New Orleans, Hope looks forward to the prospect of seeing her father again. However, when the dark magic that had been keeping them apart begins to manifest in dangerous ways across the city, Vincent turns to Ivy for guidance about what it may mean. Elsewhere, Marcel returns to New Orleans amidst increased tensions between the supernatural factions, while Freya makes a decision about her future with Keelin. Finally, Roman's surprise visit to the Mikaelson compound forces Hope to reveal some dark truths about her family.

Promo:

Wow. Hope is evil, right? I don't mean Evil as in possessed by Darkness Evil but Evil as in Sociopathic, Violent and Amoral Evil? She enslaves her classmate under the guise of helping him, frames him for kidnapping her mother and has him sealed up in a tomb. There are so many levels of sick and wrong and conscience-lessness in this that I lack the words... And the way every character was falling over themselves to absolve her of blame... It's no wonder she's Little Miss Psychopath. Right now the only realistic endgame is for her to be the Final Bad. Too bad the show will never go there.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, ursula said:

Wow. Hope is evil, right? I don't mean Evil as in possessed by Darkness Evil but Evil as in Sociopathic, Violent and Amoral Evil? She enslaves her classmate under the guise of helping him, frames him for kidnapping her mother and has him sealed up in a tomb. There are so many levels of sick and wrong and conscience-lessness in this that I lack the words... And the way every character was falling over themselves to absolve her of blame... It's no wonder she's Little Miss Psychopath. Right now the only realistic endgame is for her to be the Final Bad. Too bad the show will never go there.

Ugh Hope is horrible. Also everyone falling over themselves to absolve her just no words.  I'm not sure I can stand to watch a season of this.

7 minutes ago, Fireball said:

Ugh Hope is horrible. Also everyone falling over themselves to absolve her just no words.  I'm not sure I can stand to watch a season of this.

It was so on the nose. I really want to believe that this is deliberate set-up and not the writers really thinking that she's some innocent girl with daddy issues.

By the way, did anyone notice how Freya's actress was legit channeling Kerry Washington's Olivia Pope in that last scene with Keelin? The lip curling, the sharp little intakes before jaw-quivering declarations? Like it was uncanny. Someone's a big Scandal fan. 

Or maybe it's just the overbite. LOL. 

13 hours ago, ursula said:

She's a Mikaelson (and a Marshall). Potentially sacrificing a friend as a means of reuniting with family is something both her parents would and have done in the past. Also, literally putting family members and coffins and using them as leverage.

As for Henry...Hope didn't get Henry walled up. Henry got Henry walled up by killing a vampire. And the only people absolving Hope of anything are her family members (Marcel/Freya, etc) or Vincent (who I think feels responsible for her lashing out seeing as he's the one that both turned Marcel into an unkillable beast that kept her father captive for five years of her life and also released the Hallow....which kept her separate from her father for another 7 years). Everyone else rightly sees her as a current/future threat. They just don't have the power to make a move against her when she's protected as much as she is. Not to mention, offing her would mean almost certain death for you and anyone you ever even remotely cared for. 

I might be in the minority, but I actually like duplicitous Hope. I'm tired of female protagonists being put on a morally righteous pedastool or not paying for bad deeds they've done. Hope did a bad thing and she (inarguably) paid highly for it. She got her mother both kidnapped and very hurt. 

Spoiler

And if rumors or true, Hayley's going to die because of it.

Edited by Gwen-Stacys
  • Love 2

Awwww, I've missed Klaus' self righteous indignation and bullying so much! Oh, wait, no, I didn't.

I don't know a damn thing about Hayley's new boyfriend but I was totally Team Declan when Klaus just strolled into his place and started demanding to know where Hayley was and threatening to carve out his eyes. Maybe try saying hello and introducing yourself first? Sheesh. And he's such a dick that he was going to bite Declan, knowing that Hayley is dating him and would therefore be furious with him, all because he dared to say Hope's name! Thank goodness Hope arrived just in time to save Declan from the usual Klaus dickishness.

Looks like Marcel learned more from Klaus than he would like to think. Strolling back into the city after a seven year absence, calling himself the king, and threatening to burn down a cabin to get to Henry. Yup, definitely shades of Klaus.

So Roman drive all the way from Mystic Falls to New Orleans to ask Hope what really happened to Henry? I guess Alaric is even more lax than he used to be when he was attending high school parties where his students were drinking.

I know that Hope is a teenager with a crush, but damn, talk about terrible judgment. She invites a vampire into her home who she doesn't REALLY know (despite going to school with him for several years) and then leaves him alone in the house where he can snoop through her family's stuff when she is supposed to be keeping her relationship to Klaus a secret. I was waiting to find out that Roman is from a rival family who was sent there to find out about the Mikaelsons.

Awwww, I love the friendship between Vincent and Freya. I also love how much Marcel loves Hope (although I do wonder how often he was able to see her since he's been with Rebekah for the past seven years). Unfortunately, what Marcel told Hope is 100% true - Klaus will love the absolute worst parts of Hope until the end of time. She can keep fucking up left and right and he will still defend her.

Part of me understands that she is acting out because inside she's a hurt little girl who misses her daddy and honestly, teenagers aren't the most emotionally mature. But her harebrained scheme to kidnap her own mother to get Klaus to come running is exactly the kind of stupid thing that I expect a bratty kid to come up with. I mean, that's along the same lines of an eight year old running away from home to get attention.

I had to laugh when Hope got all accusing about how she read the journals that Cami had been forced to write about Klaus and learned that he puts his relatives in coffins and uses them as leverage. Pot, kettle. Once again, Klaus passing on his shittiest tendencies to the ones he's supposed to be teaching to be better than he was.

I was really worried that Josh was jinxing himself when he said what he wants to happen when he dies. Stay alive, Josh!

• Love 2

Good episode... Hope is a lil beat.. But super powered teens are still teens... Do. Not. Trust.  That kid from her school creep just showed up from VA to snoop around...  Poor Henry... Loved Uncle/Brother Marcel and Hope...  I guess I'm good with Keelin not being with Freya only cuz them being together after she was kidnapped and tortured just seemed gross to me.. Vincent is still the Man... Don't  like the British vamp who obviously is  out for blood but can't really step to King Marcel 

12 hours ago, Gwen-Stacys said:

She's a Mikaelson (and a Marshall). Potentially sacrificing a friend as a means of reuniting with family is something both her parents would and have done in the past. Also, literally putting family members and coffins and using them as leverage.

As for Henry...Hope didn't get Henry walled up. Henry got Henry walled up by killing a vampire. And the only people absolving Hope of anything are her family members (Marcel/Freya, etc) or Vincent (who I think feels responsible for her lashing out seeing as he's the one that both turned Marcel into an unkillable beast that kept her father captive for five years of her life and also released the Hallow....which kept her separate from her father for another 7 years).

And the difference is that the Mikaelsons/Marshalls/Gerards family don't absolve each other. There's a different between loyalty and absolution.

I'm really intrigued by the idea that Hope might be a sociopath and the final big bad. I was thinking that this show would end with all of the Mikaelsons dead, but maybe the final season will be about coming full circle. It's a show that started with Hope's inception; maybe it ends with Hope's death. That could be another reason why the time jump happened: it's a lot more palatable for an audience to kill (and ponder killing, as Vincent et. al. will surely do) a teenager than a little girl.

Not sure it was Hope who killed her friend in person, though. Wasn't his heart ripped out? And when he peered through the brick, his reaction didn't seem to identify Hope. Maybe Hope is controlling her mom?

Even if Hope is the big bad, I think the actress is doing a great job.

I don't know any definite spoilers, but if they were going to kill off Hayley this early in the season, why introduce a familiar actor as her boyfriend? I hope Torrance Coombs' time on this show turns out to be worth it. (For my money, they wasted Jason Dohring.)

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Moxie Cat said:

So does Elijah not drink blood anymore? How can he not know he's a vampire? I was wondering this last week so it's not really a spoiler. 

I saw a promo, Elijah's story is next in line

On 4/26/2018 at 4:14 AM, Gwen-Stacys said:

Reveal hidden contents

One can only hope.  I've been waiting for that since TVD.

23 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I know that Hope is a teenager with a crush, but damn, talk about terrible judgment. She invites a vampire into her home who she doesn't REALLY know (despite going to school with him for several years) and then leaves him alone in the house where he can snoop through her family's stuff when she is supposed to be keeping her relationship to Klaus a secret. I was waiting to find out that Roman is from a rival family who was sent there to find out about the Mikaelsons.

She know's him well enough to know he's one of the school bullies, so giving him any info about the kid he led in abusing (and thought he had helped drive to suicide) or about her life was just stupid all around.  I think he wants the hybridism for him and his jock friends.

I didn't realize Marcel was still Cask of Amontillado-ing folks in the basement.  That's one of my least favorite things about him.  That and the fact that he won't completely ditch the Michaelson's once and for all.  

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, luckyroll3 said:

.  That and the fact that he won't completely ditch the Michaelson's once and for all

Daddy issues... Which is secretly the title of this show

• Love 2

Hope could use another human influence besides Declan because the Mikaelson morality is rubbing off on her.  Too many selfish, short-sighted decisions.  The only time I liked her was in the flashback with her cute little spell book, and with her embarrassed expressions while talking to the suspicious vamp boy.  Maybe Hayley will discipline her.

So no one cares about the snakes that are potentially biting people all over town?  Klaus could have quickly killed the one that came out of his daughter's mouth.

It would have been to have Henry tell off Hope as he was getting bricked up. 

Somehow Joseph Morgan's teary eyes haven't gotten annoying for me.

On 4/25/2018 at 10:03 PM, ursula said:

I don't think she's evil. She just has abandonment issues and heightened emotional stuff due to puberty and having the werewolf gene. Kol gave her the idea when when Hayley said 'I'll always forgive you.' That just sealed the deal. She's shortsighted, which is something she probably gets from both of her parents, but she's also a teen who idolizes her dad.

I did find it funny that Hayley is able to call out Hope's behaviour and discipline her, but everyone else walks on eggshells to appeal to her emotions. There's a reason why Hope picked Hayley and it's not only because Klaus would come, it's because everyone would believe her if Hayley isn't around.

• Love 1

I'm always amazed at how many vampires and werewolves there are in/around NO. 

Weekly mention of Vincent's foine-ness here. Yum.

I would freaking love if Hope is the final season's Big Bad. That's right, show, go out with a bang! I would actually LOL if she is controlling her mother now that Hayley is no longer in the coffin. She is her parents' child, after all. 

JM and CMD just seem to elevate whatever scene they're in. Bravo.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Kaboom 2.0 said:

JM and CMD just seem to elevate whatever scene they're in. Bravo.

Gillies and Gatewood too. This show has an ace casting director. Some of the credit goes to TVD for the "original" Originals casting, but I was always super impressed by the "alt-body" Originals actors too. And while I know some can't stand Tonkin or others over the years, no one has ever been as terrible as some of the soap actors I've seen in my time!