Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E14: Special Delivery

William Howard Taft, Grover Cleveland, and Donald Trump: Our three fattest presidents.

So yeah, one again Tandy and Carol are two weirdos that are definitely meant for each other.

That robot dog was funny, if not really, really creepy.

And

Spoiler

HOLY CRAP, MIKE!

Wasn't expecting that one.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Galileo908 said:

No arguments here.

I don't follow any news about the show. Is this supposed to be the last season, or, did Forte leave the possibility open for more? I ask because Mike's back. I know his fate was left uncertain so that his return was always an option. I'm just wondering if he's part of the conclusion. 

• Love 1

I suspected (and eventually knew since it was released in the media) that it was Mike but that reveal was awesome.

I normally love Todd but ugh, this baby thing is not a good look for him.

• Love 4

I thought Jasper was living in another house somewhere, but it turns out he is camped by the bridge where he meets Melissa.  WTF ?

Speaking of Melissa, is she off her meds again ?  Because she was really cray-cray this episode.

Really starting to hate Todd -- seriously, he was already giving Erica the stink eye about drinking wine with dinner HOURS after insertion.

Is there a ladder shortage in Zihuatanejo ?  That's all you need to pick oranges Carol -- they've been doing it that way for hundreds of years.

This episode was creepy, icky and generally unpleasant -- which also pretty much describes Tandy.

If that is Mike in the armored car, that is one of the worst choices for traveling long distance in the apocalypse when the fuel is already turning chunky style -- plus it gets really shitty mileage.

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

I suspected (and eventually knew since it was released in the media) that it was Mike but that reveal was awesome.

And now Erica has another option to father a baby. Although Todd would be better for genetic diversity purposes.

• Love 3
(edited)

Sudsy's back! <3 (And the half-hair 'do returns... xD )

So even after the time-jump, Jasper still wasn't ready to come home. :\ But apparently he was the one who told Mike where Tandy and the gang are living, so that's good...

2 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Yup. :( Granted, it's an overall weird situation with him, Erica and Melissa; but while Erica just does her part and tries to carry on like normal, Todd has to put too much pressure on her and be an ass about it.

On the plus side, I was a little concerned about Melissa's attempts to bond with Erica seeming so strained at first (like she was masking some ulterior motive or something), but I was glad it just turned out to be her awkwardness in trying to make a female friend (which she'd never really had pre-Virus), made more extreme by the added stakes of possibly having to share her husband (as a co-parent) with this friend.

3 hours ago, AdeleDazeem said:

I don't follow any news about the show. Is this supposed to be the last season, or, did Forte leave the possibility open for more? I ask because Mike's back. I know his fate was left uncertain so that his return was always an option. I'm just wondering if he's part of the conclusion. 

I've noticed with the guest stars on this show that, unless their death is made clear to us (Gordon's heart attack and Phil 2 dying on the operating table in s.2, Darrell getting shot and Lewis's plane crash in s.3, both Admiral Roy and Pat getting shot in the s.4 premiere, Karl blowing up), it's safe to assume they're still alive (Mike at the end of s.2, Pat at the beginning of s.3 -- in which case, I wonder if the return of Mike was revealed ahead of time because the show might have another big surprise up its sleeve regarding the fates of Pamela and Glenn...).

But anyway, yeah, I'm thinking at some point this season Forte probably realized the end could be near and thus wanted to at least give us some closure on what happened with Mike, if nothing else. 

(I get the feeling Mike's return could also likely explain the Erica/Todd drama being dragged out in this episode; however, I would hope they're not setting it up for her to have to choose between the two men, because 1) she knows how much Todd wants this baby and 2) she's married to Gail now anyway -- I wonder how Mike's going to feel about that...)

Edited by GRChereck
clarity
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I thought Jasper was living in another house somewhere, but it turns out he is camped by the bridge where he meets Melissa.  WTF ?

Speaking of Melissa, is she off her meds again ?  Because she was really cray-cray this episode.

Really starting to hate Todd -- seriously, he was already giving Erica the stink eye about drinking wine with dinner HOURS after insertion.

Is there a ladder shortage in Zihuatanejo ?  That's all you need to pick oranges Carol -- they've been doing it that way for hundreds of years.

This episode was creepy, icky and generally unpleasant -- which also pretty much describes Tandy.

If that is Mike in the armored car, that is one of the worst choices for traveling long distance in the apocalypse when the fuel is already turning chunky style -- plus it gets really shitty mileage.

Pretty much loved this entire post. 

Jasper - we've time jumped almost a year, but he hasn't aged.  (And, as I've pointed out before, manages to stay quite clean and well kept for a kid living outdoors.)  They need to do something with him.  Bring him back into the home, or find a nice way for him to exit. 

Melissa - absolutely bonkers.  Would have been nice if there was a med reference in this episode.  Is she still on them?  Can they still get them?

Todd - hating him more each episode.  Maybe Forte is just trying to get us to like Tandy more.

Oranges - reminds me... they've been in one spot for almost a year, in a temperate climate, and no one's got a veggie garden going at the house?

Return of Mike - yeah!  At least he's (relatively) normal.  I miss Lewis for the normal voice. 

At this point, here's what I'm wishing for how they end the series (not sure if we've got another season or not, so just spitballing here):  They find a whole community of other survivors.  Smart, capable people, with enough numbers and genetic diversity to theoretically repopulate.  They take two cars - Mike, Gail and Erica, Jasper (if he's still around) and all the babies in one.  Tandy, Carol, Todd & Melissa in the other.  Tandy's car veers off a cliff where survival is impossible.  The rest join the new community and live happily ever after. 

• Love 3

I liked this ep. The joke about Trump being one of our three fattest presidents was pretty funny, in addition to Tandy saying, "You're SO fake news! Sad!"

I didn't think Todd was acting terrible. I mean, I can excuse his behavior. He was super excited about becoming a dad, so he hovered around Erica. His concern about her drinking wine was, IMO, pretty restrained at the table. I too was kinda shocked to see Erica drinking wine. I admit to not knowing what the current medical advice is about that, but I thought Todd was reasonable. Yes, he let go when Erica told him the test was negative, but overall I understood why he was acting like he was.

As for Melissa, at first I thought she was being so weird because she felt guilty for not having a baby with Todd. I'm glad that the reason was actually that she was just inexperienced in making friends with women. I thought January Jones was really good in this ep.

Jasper living outdoors seemed fine to me. Maybe that's more comfortable for him since he spent so much time on his own before the group found him.

The robot dog really was creepy but cute, esp when Tandy had it cock its head. I have to say I'm glad Tandy clarified that this was a taxidermied dog head.

What a happy surprise that the stranger was Mike. I really didn't think we'd find out who it was at the end but have another cliffhanger. I also liked the reveal of Tandy's half-shaved head and face.

I hadn't noticed before how dirty the outside of the house is, that is, the black dirt streaking down from the tile roof. Nice touch.

• Love 2

I thoroughly expect that now Erica will ask Mike, not Tandy, to be the father of her baby. I can't see Todd reacting well to that. He's really taken a level in jerkass this season to be honest, in my opinion at least. :/

8 hours ago, peeayebee said:

His concern about her drinking wine was, IMO, pretty restrained at the table. I too was kinda shocked to see Erica drinking wine. I admit to not knowing what the current medical advice is about that, but I thought Todd was reasonable. Yes, he let go when Erica told him the test was negative, but overall I understood why he was acting like he was.

I thought his concern was loaded with passive aggressiveness at the table so it was restrained compared to what he said later but it still left no doubt that he disapproved.  Then there was the aforementioned tampon counting which was not right under any circumstances.  That's an obnoxious Tandy move--not something I'd expect from Todd.

And he didn't let it go once he found out the test was negative. As soon as she told him the test was negative, he threw out a sarcastic and disapproving "I guess you're going to get soused now" under his breath.  When Erica called him on it, he chastised her for drinking alcohol while planning to get pregnant, drinking coffee while trying to get pregnant and not using the meditation stone he got for her. *

Basically, he was treating her like she was his surrogate instead of a partner in this thing that he could talk to like an equal. If he noticed something different about the way she's behaving in this pregnancy, he could ask her about it.  But even if he had solid medical evidence behind his POV, he'd be wrong to demand.  In getting pregnant with his baby, she's agreeing to take on his imperfections too. 

*But let's look at his criticisms:

Alcohol: This is a bit of a controversial topic.  Official health organizations recommend against drinking while getting pregnant or trying to get pregnant. But while there is evidence that too much alcohol can harm a baby, there's a lack of evidence on just how much is too much. A lot of women have alcohol in their systems when they get pregnant.  A lot of women drink before knowing they're pregnant.  And there are populations where a not-insignificant portion of pregnant women have had some alcohol while pregnant. 

Caffeine: There's no absolute abstention when it comes to caffeine. Women can have a cup of caffeinated coffee while pregnant.  More if it's decaf.

Meditation stone:  Just highlights that he wants to control her body while she's pregnant. 

It's not that I can't empathize with his desire to do whatever it takes to increase their chances but he went about it the worst way.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, chaifan said:

At this point, here's what I'm wishing for how they end the series (not sure if we've got another season or not, so just spitballing here):  They find a whole community of other survivors.  Smart, capable people, with enough numbers and genetic diversity to theoretically repopulate.  They take two cars - Mike, Gail and Erica, Jasper (if he's still around) and all the babies in one.  Tandy, Carol, Todd & Melissa in the other.  Tandy's car veers off a cliff where survival is impossible.  The rest join the new community and live happily ever after. 

With all the nuclear reactors in the world ass-ploding, I'm just hoping for Priamfaya from the 'The 100' to show up, circle the world and few times, and finish them off.

This show is fantastic at making you hate a character for their worst traits and then showing you their humanity and winning you back, and doing the opposite. In the beginning, I hated Tandy and wanted the group to ditch him, but now he's one of my favorites. I still think he's totally annoying, but he's grown into a more thoughtful person who, while being annoying, is still a pretty good friend. And I love his relationship with Carol. They're both so weird, but their weirdness works well together and they are a really sweet couple.

Meanwhile, I used to really like Todd, but now I want the group to ditch him. His behavior towards Erica was super creepy. Why was he counting her tampons? Why not just ask her if it was early enough to take a test? I wasn't paying super close attention, but I thought the scene at dinner with the alcohol was the same day as when Erica was inseminated so it felt especially controlling when he was already giving her shit. And then he made the crappy about her probably going off to get drunk. Like, why can't she get drunk? She isn't pregnant yet and she has to deal with her period during the apocalypse. I maybe drink 1 or 2 times a year, but if I were in their situation, I'd be like Gail, drunk all day every day.

• Love 1

^ I agree with all of that, especially the first line!

I can't help but wonder what's going to happen with Todd this season. He just seems to be getting worse and worse.

Spoiler

And the press release for 4x17 seems to imply he's separated from the rest of the group?

20 hours ago, peeayebee said:

As for Melissa, at first I thought she was being so weird because she felt guilty for not having a baby with Todd. I'm glad that the reason was actually that she was just inexperienced in making friends with women. I thought January Jones was really good in this ep.

I seem to recall very early on in s.1, she was initially more excited at the prospect of a female friend than at finding a man, and the show seemed to hint at the possibility of a deep, meaningful friendship for her and Carol; but after Todd came along, that mostly sort of fell by the wayside as both ladies got more wrapped-up in their own lives. (I remember being most disappointed in s.3 when Melissa was going through the worst of her mental illness, and Carol was more concerned about having Gail be her adoptive mother so her impending baby could have a grandparent.)

But now I think that may have been intentional; I could see Melissa being the kind of person who might like the idea of having a gal pal she can go to when she wants someone else to talk with besides her man, but having a hard time sustaining that sort of relationship (especially if she's more used to simply withdrawing, keeping to herself and doing her own thing -- which might help explain her particular kinship with Jasper*...).

* - in addition to the official Den of Geek "Writers-Room Walk-through" explanation: She's the only one of the group who's the most honest with him, who "doesn't want anything from him or care what he thinks of her" and doesn't just treat him like a child -- she recognizes and respects how he had lived on his own for years before the rest of the group found him, and how he doesn't need them as much as they assume he does (especially since they don't seem to have any real parenting skills that would help him anyway).

• Love 1

Plus . . . how do they still have usable gasoline?? They've made a point of showing us they have no electricity and no running water, so they're not entirely pretending these things would still exist. I wish TV would own up to the fact that gasoline would not exist this far into an apocalypse. 

The robot dog was way too creepy. I don't want to even think about who would stuff a dog or that Tandy would cut off its head and stick it on a robot.

3 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Plus . . . how do they still have usable gasoline?? They've made a point of showing us they have no electricity and no running water, so they're not entirely pretending these things would still exist. I wish TV would own up to the fact that gasoline would not exist this far into an apocalypse. 

They showed Chunky-style gasoline in a previous episode as well -- and then the writers completely forgot that they did that.

I kind of expected Melissa to mention this episode that she was off her meds, because she was acting more manic than we've ever seen her. But I guess the writers don't want to bring that up again, especially not with so much else going on.

Also...how is she actually getting said meds? Is there a pharmacy nearby? How long do meds last on the shelf? If I was her I'd be much more worried about that than the gasoline!

I hope this means Tandy will shave off the rest of his beard because he looks terrible with it. Then again he doesn't look real great bald with no eyebrows either. It's sort of a no-win proposition with him.