Type keyword(s) to search

The People's Court - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Seem to be showing season 20's episodes in order now.  Previously the repeats randomly jumped around the same time period.  I wonder if this has something to do with the show being completely done?  I noticed, in looking ahead at the listings, an episode gets skipped for me between Fridays and Mondays.  Maybe some markets have a weekend episode that accounts for the skip.

Here's the discussion link for Season 20, Episode 3 from September 7, 2016:

"My Live-In Boyfriend Was Messing With My Sister."

Edited by Bazinga
  • Thanks 4
13 hours ago, Bazinga said:

That was a hard "pass". More enjoyable was the incredibly overly-entitled, egotistical P suing the tow yard for having the audacity to tow her car and not tell her where it was. Yeah, maybe she parked so as to block TWO driveways, preventing the people living there from leaving, and then just walked away. So? She couldn't find out where her car was and had to spend all kinds of money taking days off from work, renting a car, bailing her own car out, etc.  Since the screwup was at the police station, JM advises her to sue the city of New York (and adds a "good luck with that") but also tells her she feels SO sorry for her. Why? If she hadn't selfishly parked where she pleased - fuck everyone else -  none of these expenses and inconveniences would have happened.  She gets not a dime.

• Like 3
On 9/6/2023 at 4:30 AM, Bazinga said:

Here's the discussion link for Season 20, Episode 3 from September 7, 2016:

I try not to comment on appearances, but there is no way the D in the first case was only 26. 

Couldn’t say much about the rest of the cases, I was watching the expressions of the audience moreso than listening to the case. 

Edited by Bookworm13
  • Wink 1
  • LOL 1
6 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Discussion link for Season 20, Episode 5 from September 9, 2016:

"Flower Fiasco."

FYI, the third case is a dog attack case.

I don’t remember the cases but evidently I did contribute a nugget of wisdom to the conversation. 

TPC is now on at 3:00 instead of 2:00.  Will try to catch it today.  Will skip the dog mauling case.  No way to start a weekend.

8 hours ago, PsychoKlown said:

I don’t remember the cases but evidently I did contribute a nugget of wisdom to the conversation.

Brief synopsis: Massive moon-faced morons are all, "Duhhh! We dunno how much we spent. We dunno how much things cost. We never discussed THAT part. YOU figure it out, Judge."

Moon-faced P, all self-deprecating,  hoping to avoid getting her huge cheeks spanked as she deserves, says, "There's a big "S" on my forehead, for "Sucker".

JM, barely able to conceal her contempt for these idiots informs her that the "S" actually stands for "STOOOOPID". No one would argue that.

• Like 1

Looks like the new show starts a week from Monday.    My cable guide shows it as two half hour episodes.   I'm assuming after it's been running for a while the second half hour will always be repeats.   Most of the half hour game shows that run for an hour seem to work that way.   Strangely, it seems like the reruns of old TPC episodes restart in my area on the same day.   Really curious to see what the new show is like. 

• Thanks 3
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Looks like the new show starts a week from Monday.    My cable guide shows it as two half hour episodes.   I'm assuming after it's been running for a while the second half hour will always be repeats.  

Maverick, my cable guide shows the first episode is this Monday, September 11th.  Yes, two half-hour episodes.

For me in NY/NJ, it is on WLNY (if helpful to anyone, for me, in NJ, this is channel 80; in NY, it is channel 10/55, at noon), a Long Island CBS affiliate that shows Hot Bench, Judge Mathis and other court shows, including Judge Judy reruns at 10 PM (used to be the same reruns as in the afternoon, for me in NY/NJ, on channel 2, but now different episodes are shown).  For the NY market, this is a less important station, I would think.  The People's Court reruns remain on the Fox affiliate (for me, channel 5 at 4 PM).

Thank you, Maverick, for getting me to look.  Would probably have missed it otherwise.

So, I think Monday is the premier date for Justice for the People With Judge Milan.  (In my opinion, this is a terrible name.)  Anyway, I am looking forward to the new show.  Hope to see you all in that forum once it is set up!

Edited by Bazinga
  • Like 5

My cable guide now shows the new show starting tomorrow, but I still don't reruns of old TPC episodes until the following week.   Weird.  I'll probably get an old episode of the Andy Griffith Show that features Andy acting as the Justice of the Peace. 

In looking for the shows, I noticed there are a lot of court shows.  So. Many. Court. Shows.   Like, who the hell is real courtrooms adjudicating real cases?   Is ever filing now automatically routed to Central Casting?  

• Like 1
  • LOL 3

Discussion link for Season 20, Episode 6 from September 12, 2016:

Taking Your Anger Out on a Car

Listing was wrong, this is the episode shown.  Sorry.

Bonus feature, Google summary:

"Marilyn Milian adjudicates a case of three individuals who do not get along, a tyre iron, a cop with a gun, and a can of iced tea."

Edited by Bazinga
Corrected Episode
  • Thanks 2
16 hours ago, Bazinga said:

"Taking Advantage of a Landlord."

This is the type of case I'm here for. It was just as awesome on rewatch.

"My sainted alcoholic momma ("she had a liver a foot long, God love her") always had a dream, that I would be a big-time operator, fulfill my potential, and own my very own hot dog cart in my middle age. She came to me in a vision from above and told me to con a ridiculous, foolish woman who  is a "degenerate alcoholic" who can't afford her big, 4-bedroom home, and fills it with strangers (some of them might be felons instead of merely being grifters like the Defs) she finds on CL, and thinks she has a "connection" with them." By golly, Momma was right.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

Discussion link for Season 20, Episode 10 from September 16, 2016:

"Scalping Scam."

Google summary: "Counterfeit tickets to a New England Patriots game form the center of a case in which money is not being returned and calls are not being answered."

On this date, also a Friday, one day short of seven years ago, Barrack Obama was in the White House and Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump were running to replace him.  I will have to research how that election turned out.  "Closer" by The Chainsmokers ft. Halsey was the number one song.  "Speechless" was popular on TV.  "Sully," directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Tom Hanks, was number 1 at the box office for the second week.  Playwright Edward Albee ("Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf") died.  Tyre King, a 13-year-old African-American boy who was carrying a BB gun, was shot and killed by police in Ohio. 

For our Jewish readers celebrating Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, "L’Shana Tovah tikatevu,” which means, 'May you be inscribed for a good year', or just “Shana Tovah,” which means 'a good year.'  Have a nice weekend, everyone.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Relationship Loan Disaster."

Google Summary: "After the bitter ending of a six-year relationship, a plaintiff sues her ex-boyfriend for the money she believes she is owed."

I watched the whole thing, with no memory of having seen it before. That was hilarious. P's lover boy, Reuben (I  may have missed something) must be some kind of prize. Such a hot property is the useless, broke-ass Reuben that she supported him all that time. Oh, wait - Reuben did say he'd pay when they ate out, or something. Reuben's niece's husband gets thrown in the slammer so of course P was willing to pay bail for the jailbird, and someone was disabled, and then man-god Reuben cheated on the super-dumb Plaintiff. At least this was amusing.

Who needs (bad) actors when a cast like this is available?

Thanks, @Bazinga for the links!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

TV Tears Apart a Friendship."

Another one I didn't recall. The def is the kind of person I really dislike - a squat, mouthy, ignorant, belligerent, fugly little gutter snipe who thinks she's "all that".

I hope after this the P put down the remote on his new 65" TV and went out to get some fresh air, sunshine, and exercise. He didn't look well.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

I feel like I am monopolizing this thread. 

Anyway, today's episode, Season 20, Episode 16 from September 26, 2016, discussion link:

Labor for Free Rent Disaster

Summary of the first case, the episode's title case: "Litigants disagree over the amount of rent owed. The plaintiffs claim that they carried out renovations on the property and are seeking payment for their labor, but the defendant was never paid any rent."

New feature - Case Titles: 1) Failing A Family Member; 2) Ripping Off An Investor; 3) Nice Guys Finish Last

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I for one appreciate the monopolization since it gives me fair warning!

I re-watched The Grifters vs. Slightly Dotty Uncle, the Dr. Seuss Herbal Tea Tycoon, and Goofball Daddy and his 15-year-old Lolita daughter who needs a 1968 VW van.  Doug in the Hall administers spankings.

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 3
7 hours ago, AngelaHunter said:

I for one appreciate the monopolization since it gives me fair warning!

Thank you.

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 17 from September 27, 2016, discussion link:

"Breakup Blowout!"

SRTouch's summaries really add to the rewatch experience.

Google summary of the episode's title case: "A plaintiff claims that her ex-boyfriend has owed her money for years, but she has chosen to sue only after the bitter ending of their seven-year relationship. The defendant is convinced she is doing so only out of spite."

Case Titles: 1) Running Away; 2) Poor Plumbing Practices; 3) Junking Up A Jacket.

• Thanks 3

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 17 from September 27, 2016, discussion link:

I'm enjoying these since even after following the links so kindly provided by @Bazinga I still have no memory of seeing these cases.

Big flapping mauve lips and her unexpected pregnancy, vs. her ex, thick-skulled dumbass baby daddy, who despite being what he is - a chronically unemployed, inarticulate hulk - has no trouble getting bed partners.

Two idiots fighting over plumbing stuff: Both of them, "Take my word for the particulars of the verbal contract."

"I only wore my enormous jacket once in over a year! Pay me for my emotional distress because the cleaner ruined it!"  He was all kinds of peeved in the hall since the big windfall he was expecting failed to materialize and he left with $100. Too bad, so sad.

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 18 from September 28, 2016, discussion link:

"Parking Lot Fight Fiasco."

Google summary of the episode's title case: "A plaintiff accuses a defendant of causing costly damage to his car during a fight in a nightclub. The defendant admits to his participation in the fight, but maintains the car was already damaged."

Case Titles: 1) Body Slamming A Car; 2) Causing A Holy Commotion; 3) Crashing.

• Thanks 4
20 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Causing A Holy Commotion

I enjoyed this repeat of the Devout, as usual on this show seen as intolerant, un-Christian, devoid of compassion and charity, quarrelsome, unwelcoming, and money-grubbing. 😄

"We can't pray for no mentally... whatever kid. We're not trained for that."

No wonder JM laughed at them before reaming them out.

• Like 3

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 19 from September 29, 2016, discussion link:

"A Lifelong Friendship Ruined Over Rent ."

Google summary of the episode's title case: "The litigants, former housemates, are suing each other for money owed and agent fees. Their friendship soured when the defendant's boyfriend unofficially moved in to their house."

Case Titles: 1) Letting A Godsister Down; 2) That's One Bad Tran-ny; 3) You Didn't Plug My Leak.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Thanks 3
On 9/25/2023 at 1:19 AM, Bazinga said:

Monopolize away! I’m still watching this and it’s nice to know what I have to look forward to, and when to avoid since I have no recollection of the original airings. 

Also, not trying to jinx anything, but the past 2 weeks have been full of the type of inane nonsense I watch for. Just people not understanding common sense and coming to court with no/little evidence, thinking they can charm JM to rule in their favor. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 19 from September 29, 2016, discussion link

How old does a woman have to be before she can no longer use the "I never 'boughten' a used car before"? She's just a poor, helpless little girl who didn't realize that an ancient hulk with a 'low' 150,000 miles and a  slipping tran-ny might not be a great purchase.

How old does a man have to be before he can stop weaseling his way out of an agreement he made by claiming that Grammy got sick or Grandpa died?

Loved the shady roofer with the "Dumb & Dumber" Lloyd hairdo.

8 hours ago, Bookworm13 said:

but the past 2 weeks have been full of the type of inane nonsense I watch fo

You're not alone. I adore inane, zany nonsense!

• Like 3

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 20 from September 30, 2016, discussion link:

"Scammed by a Fake Publicist."

Google summary of the episode's title case: "The plaintiff, an aspiring entertainer and recording artist, hired the defendant, a man who claimed to own a PR firm, to gain exposure. The plaintiff claims that the defendant in fact owns no company, and he would like his money back."

Case Titles: 1) Doing Nothing & Getting Paid For It; 2) Flooring A Customer; 3) Rubbing Tenants The Wrong Way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 9/28/2023 at 9:32 AM, Bookworm13 said:

Monopolize away! I’m still watching this and it’s nice to know what I have to look forward to, and when to avoid since I have no recollection of the original airings. 

Also, not trying to jinx anything, but the past 2 weeks have been full of the type of inane nonsense I watch for. Just people not understanding common sense and coming to court with no/little evidence, thinking they can charm JM to rule in their favor. 

Not Monopolizing.  Post Away!  I'm amazed they are running old episodes that I don't remember!  It reminds me of how good it once was and how bad her new show is. 

Question - has anyone watched a Court Show where the Baliff had to intervene?  I don't think I've seen one.  I know they have security off to the side, but I've never seen an episode of a Court Show where someone just lost it and they had to have security intervene.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Paperclips said:

Not Monopolizing.  Post Away!  I'm amazed they are running old episodes that I don't remember!  It reminds me of how good it once was and how bad her new show is. 

Question - has anyone watched a Court Show where the Baliff had to intervene?  I don't think I've seen one.  I know they have security off to the side, but I've never seen an episode of a Court Show where someone just lost it and they had to have security intervene.

One time on Judge Judy, a young man lost his case, because he had no proof, and defendant was celebrating, and Officer Byrd and off-camera security intervened and restrained the plaintiff, while telling the defendant to leave. 

Judge M said that one time a litigant started a confrontation in the hallway, in the interview section, and Bailiff Douglas stopped the fight, but that was off camera, unfortunately.  

• Like 2

Today's episode, Season 20, Episode 21 from October 3, 2016, discussion link:

"You Attacked My Dog With Your Cane!"

Google summary of the episode's title case: "The plaintiff alleges that the defendant attacked her nine-pound Pomeranian with a cane, knocking one of its eyeballs out of the socket. He claims to have acted in self-defense, and is refusing to pay for the dog's three surgeries."

Case Titles: 1) Taking A Whack At It; 2) Screwing It Up; 3) A Dirty Landlord."

THIS IS WRONG.  SEE BELOW.  SORRY!!

Edited by Bazinga
  • Thanks 2

Today was a collection of ridiculous plaintiffs.

1.       Young woman wants to change her rather plump body into totally fit and trim with a trainer. She doesn’t know anything about fitness, exercise or training. She gets sore after a workout (poor little thing, she was all crippled up and couldn’t work) so wants her money back from the trainer, a really major amount, all of $100. She gets nothing because she defaulted on her contract.

2.       Sloppy painter  doing a $600 paint job left paint where it shouldn’t have been, plaintiff pays him with a check as he leaves (apparently expecting to come back next day), tries to stop payment on the check but wasn’t fast enough. Meanwhile her husband yells at her (seems like he told her at the beginning that a $600 painting job is not a good idea), and she tells the painter to not come back (I would bet this was with her husband leaning over her shoulder). For this tragedy, plaintiff wants more than $3,000 back from painter. JM looks at the cleanup required and gives the plaintiff $200. Plaintiff is disappointed that she didn’t get $3,000+.

3.       Plaintiff brings in an aging Audi with leaky radiator. If it had come in for me to repair, I would have looked at the age, multiple leaks and aftermarket turbo charger and refused the job, but that’s just me. Defendant replaces the radiator. Plaintiff complains that there are still leaks (this car has a small secondary radiator (probably right behind the large coolant radiator) for the transmission fluid, and the leaks are from the transmission cooling lines, not the new radiator. Plaintiff insists that the defendant replace the new radiator and do other stuff, for coincidentally $3,000+ (see #2 above). Plaintiff tries to prove that the defendant damaged the transmission with a plain sheet of paper with no letterhead or any other info about who it is from. That fails and JM tells the plaintiff that he has not proved that anything the defendant did caused the problems he is claiming so he gets nothing.

High point of the day:

In the third case hallterview, Doug talks to the defendant and snugs up the defendant’s loose tie, saying that it was driving him nuts which I completely understand. The defendant explains that this was the first time in his life that he wore a tie.

For some reason, the recent reruns are entertaining me, that may be just my memory failing me.

Edited by DoctorK
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, DoctorK said:

For some reason, the recent reruns are entertaining me, that may be just my memory failing me.

Me too! Entertained and memory failing, I mean.

I loved the repeat of the silly little troll lady and the incredibly bad painter she hired and paid because it never occurred to her there's a reason he charged half of what real painters charge - real painters who actually have ladders and don't need to climb on the client's furniture to do the job. Nice, light fare. I just hope this 1-bedroom apartment for a family of four was a temporary thing.

Plaintiff brings in an aging Audi with leaky radiator.

Stupid meathead annoys JM by saying the car was "pissing" out fluids, simply because he doesn't know of any other words to use. JM supplies him with "leaking". Levin could have told him that. Def was rightfully exasperated from trying to pound any sense into the thick, dense bone of the idiot P's skull. "My old heap doesn't work right. It must be someone's fault! Gimme 3K." 

Young woman wants to change her rather plump body into totally fit and trim with a trainer.

Aw, come on! Some sympathy here. She does hair and eyelashes and the torture she endured at this fitness club disabled her and she was unable to do hair and eyelashes for two whole days! Her arms were SO sore!

• LOL 3

The listing was wrong.  This is the link for the episode shown (Season 20, Episode 46 from November 14, 2016):

"Trainer Tantrum."

Case titles: Pushing Too Hard - Being Too Drippy - Not Fixing Things Right

Sorry everyone about the above mistake. 

I am not sure if today's listing will match the episode shown.

Discussion link for the episode my listing shows, season 20 episode 22 that aired October 4, 2016:

"Painting Panic."

Case titles: Painting Herself Into A Corner - A Key Caper - You're An Unfair Landlord

A more not likely scenario is that the episode following the episode aired yesterday is shown.  If so, the discussion link for season 20, episode 47 from November 15, 2016 is:

"TV Installation Anger."

Case titles: Not Bolting It In - Cracking Up (In which the Judge takes a dive! But she's okay.) - Ripping Off A Roomer

Note, if this episode is shown, Judge Milan takes a tumble when she gets off the bench during case number 2.

Not sure what will air, so I am providing links for these two possible episodes.  They will probably air a different episode or Donald Trump will do something and nothing will be shown. 

Edited by Bazinga
  • Thanks 3
10 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Sorry everyone about the above mistake. 

Oh, please! We appreciate what you do out of the kindness of your heart, what with you being all, like, giving, generous, and Christian! 😄

Even my CC is saying, "Screw it" the last few weeks. It's lagging badly, skipping letters, and cramming words together like a broken keyboard.  Maybe CC is drunk or got into some "edibles".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Assuming the listing is followed, today's episode is Season 20, Episode 23 from October 5, 2016. 

The discussion link:

"My Cousin Stuck Me With an $800 Phone Bill."

Google summary of the episode's title case: "Two formerly close cousins clash over money owed for a mobile phone. While the plaintiff seeks to teach his cousin a lesson about responsibility, she claims the phone was merely one of the perks of his job in a phone store."

Case Titles: 1) Phoning It In With A Cousin; 2) Bad Landlording 101; 3) Cutting A Friend Off.

• Thanks 3