Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E03 Money Bag Shawty

Dee
  • Start Topic

So we get another view of robbin season. But, this time it's about how establishments will rob you of your money easily. I fucking hate going out to clubs and stuff. Entrance fee, expensive ass drinks, tips, coat check, etc etc. I rather keep my money in my pocket. 

Ern's chip on his shoulder shows itself again. He wants to be taken seriously and respected but he's try to do that through shortcuts.  Money in itself doesn' gain you status. It's your attitude. How you present yourself. The lack of confidence and strong will oozes off him.

First we see of Van this season and it's clear that she never heard anything about that four thousand dollars. They seem to be back on as well. At least, they seem to be in a good place.

That whole studio session was uncomfortable as fuck. People think that guy is a riff on chance the rapper. Which makes me laugh because I think of the line from chance in no problem. If one more person try to cross me their gonna be some dreadhead n***** in the lobby.  Chance got goons too. 

• Love 9

So was the woman complaining about PB's lyrics a plant?

Or they're happy how that video went viral apparently.

It's one thing for Earn to want to spend money on himself and the gf but why is he paying for PB, Darius and Tracy at the club?  And did he hire the stretch limo too?

If he's splurging like that, PB has to be really rolling in it but he still lives in that modest house.

"It's Michael Vick" with that delivery and expression was perfect, though she could have said that to him before Earn probably lost the rest of his windfall on that race.

That other rapper talked up his manager to PB so maybe PB looks to replace Earn with someone who can get him big projects.

• Love 5

“Welcome back to the stage, she was gone  under house arrest for giving illegal butt injections...” I died laughing.

Michael Vick out of nowhere reminded me of the invisible car zooming away at the end of an episode in season 1.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, scrb said:

I think the point was these white ladies crying in these “protest” viral videos to try to get people to turn on Paper Boi just gave him more notoriety—and more record sales. “To white woman tears!” Haha

ETA: A key moment of the scene for me was seeing the little girl in the background—and mom stopping to talk about juice—then going back and reading the lyrics. So, it’s not just about this woman helping raise Paper Boi’s profile, but this white woman trying to raise her social media notoriety by using Paper Boi. If she was so shocked and offended, why didn’t she change the station after the first line?! Lady, you’re up by the radio controls while your pre-schooler is snug in her car seat. Doesn’t matter that “she likes” that radio station. You’re the mom and you control what she has access to...for at least a handful of more years. Then to say all of these words in front of her daughter. Chances are she wouldn’t have even understood it in the song, but to see mommy crying over and clearly articulating it all. This is what makes this show so amazing, though, EVERY MOMENT is nuanced. 

Edited by JenE4
  • Love 11

The crying white lady cracked me the hell up!!  Ha!  She is so extra.  If she was listening to it on a top 40 pop radio show then she would have been listening to the radio edit, which mean no way would the words "dick" or "n****" been allowed, they would have blurred out or replaced by more acceptable words.

Why is Earn working my last nerve?  I get that he feels frustrated and dissed, but why does that have to translate into being continuously stupid about money?  Al was giving him some good advice about presentation and confidence -- something Ivy League Earn should already know.

16 hours ago, Racj82 said:

That whole studio session was uncomfortable as fuck.

Seriously.  That poor engineer.

• Love 5

I have a few questions from this episode. I wanted to rewatch but my husband deleted it too quickly. 

Would a suburban mom objecting to the song really mean anything in 2018?  The stuff I hear on the radio from rap and pop alike are pretty disgusting these days. Is there really a Tipper Gore type who would resonate ?

i didn’t understand the first VIP rejection. If the white lady had no intention of making it easy, why would she even offer it? Or she would only accept small cash from a black man?

also in the club, the owner who booted him was black - why did Earn’s girl say it was racism? I assume it was tongue in cheek?

Apologies if my half ass watching left me confused. Also the new Previously forums format is driving me crazy - just me?

• Love 1

That black club owner sounded like he had an accent so maybe he was an immigrant.

Sounds like the mom viral video and the studio sessions are based on things which happened in real life.

Would these be the first instances of the show using real life events to base scenes on?

• Love 2

Part of the reason this show exists is because of things Donald has seen in the hip hop world. All of the hip hop stuff relates to things from real life.

The whole episode was about Ern trying to get respect through money but money doesn't make the man obviously. People still don't take him seriously. He can't stunt out there with big bills and be taken seriously or be trusted.

The white mom stuff is just like every other thing that goes viral. If it's funny enough, it will get traction. No one is taking it seriously. Most people are just laughing at it. 

Obviously black people can be racist against other black people. The manager could be black and still look at Ern as this untrustworthy black dude or dude in general.

• Love 4
On 3/16/2018 at 2:42 AM, Racj82 said:

I fucking hate going out to clubs and stuff. Entrance fee, expensive ass drinks, tips, coat check, etc etc. I rather keep my money in my pocket. 

Same here. And this episode was a potent reminder of why I haven't gone to a club in several years.

Yep. Free publicity.

On ‎3‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:06 AM, scrb said:

This was a parody of an actual viral video of a mom regarding another rap song a few years back... My 17 yo son watches this show with me and he showed me the youtube video.  It was deadon accurate and funny as hell.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 5:43 PM, scrb said:

Would these be the first instances of the show using real life events to base scenes on?

There have been many other indirect and direct copies of actual incidents.

I'm left wondering what happened to that recording engineer...

• Love 1

IA that it takes presence and not just money for Earn to stunt on others.   The incident at the movie theater was particularly humiliating.

1.  Why would Earn take Van to a strip club?  Wasn't it supposed to be a private night out for the two of them?  

2.  Earn could have gotten smaller bills when he cashed the check.  He's just walking around with $100s in his pocket?