Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: The Elopement

Bort
  • Start Topic

Conrad goes head-to-head with Lane when he disagrees with her over a treatment plan for a terminal cancer patient. Tensions rise when Jude inserts himself in the middle by offering to perform the invasive procedure Conrad is fighting against. When a VIP patient crosses the line with Nic, she must devise a strategy on how to stand her ground and combat the situation. Meanwhile, Bell realizes he'll need Mina's hands more than ever.

Well played Mina!  Love her and Nic's friendship too.

Ewww sleazy athlete (typecasting) got a dose of Emily! Oh, I mean Nic.  That was brilliantly executed.

Devon's relationship is going to become imperilled by his own doing I'm afraid, but good for him.

Show had lots of satisfying moments this week :)

• Love 13

Mina was very clever in out-maneuvering Bell.  Well done! 

Conrad is finally seeing that Hunter is shady and not necessarily looking out for the well-being of her patients.  Excellent.  Now there are three, plus Devon's girlfriend, investigative reporter!

I confess, I like Conrad and Nic together, so I agreed with the patient's wife that they are a cute couple.  And good on them for giving that patient the truth and a little more time at home with his wife.

• Like 1
  • Love 9

Mina vs Bell was definitely the high point of this one. This is so delicious. Love Mina! I was in stitches in a "no she didn't fuck yeah she did" way, during her conversation with the board members. Too bad Feldman wasn't there with his pom-pom.

At the 15/20 minutes mark I thought it might be a filler/boring one, but quickly I realized how the threads of different plotlines are weaving and shaping up into potential disasters and I know there's going to be one or more, but I can't tell how things are going to play out exactly.

I like how they integrated Dev's fiancee, and her investigation could be damaging to their relationship but the reverse is possible, it could be damaging for Chastain and Dev's career.

Claire, the CEO, is so very much the next name on Bell's list. She doesn't buy his BS as much as I thought and if she stands in his way, it will be a full-out war.

Lane is definitely shady but I wonder if it's about money. In her speech "no one is hopeless", I felt some tunnel-vision issue more than cynicism and I wondered if she's hiding some kind of psychological issue, paralleling Bell's hand problems. The clinic is like the Titanic slowly heading for the fateful iceberg.

Jude lost a patient again, is he the real Hands of Doom and Destruction? I thought he was sob-storying Nic a couple of episodes ago, but now he seems depressive or something?

I like Conrad more and more. The "fluffying" had me LOL. He should have stayed out of Nic's business but I have a soft spot for men who can't accept sexual harassment and stand up for women. I do think Nic factored in this decision, I'm not so sure about the biopsy. He was against the procedure before Jude intervened and his behavior was consistent with previous cases where he wasn't up against his "rival". I also liked that he didn't pile on Jude when he saw he was truly regretful.

I also liked the writing for Conrad and Nic. It shows what they have in common, how they know each other very well, and there's a certain level of maturity in their discussions. No histrionics. Oh, and it was refreshing that Conrad's rebound was casual about it, far from the cliché of the clingy woman.  Everyone was behaving like an adult here.

Loved this old couple, and all the bickering. Even though the "shipper on deck" moment was as far from subtlety as Bell is from vanilla, I thought it was well done in terms of balance because the man going home to die was presented as a kind of victory, and the episode ended on a positive note.

• Love 7

Man, I never expected Mina to finally stand up to Bell in the way that she did. But it was so satisfying to see; good on her for giving it back to Bell, who has been using her from the beginning. I do think he genuinely cares about her and thinks she's talented, but he's also been using her for his own gain.

So, Jude screws up again. I have a bad feeling about where his storyline is going now. Potential suicide watch incoming for him? Which is a shame, because I've love Warren Christie ever since Alphas, so I don't want him gone. 

So, Conrad catches on to Lane! Yay! Now that's three+Dev's girlfriend Priya. It's good that Conrad caught on to Lane's shadiness. I have no doubt that she really believes she can help these people. But I can't believe that she's not aware that her actions are probably not entirely legal, and that keeping important medical information will kill patients faster than curing them. I think I know where they're going with Lane, but then they seem to catch me off guard with how they handle things on this show. For all I know, Lane's not as bad as they're making her seem. I think I have to stop expecting something to go exactly how I picture. 

So, more Conrad/Nic stuff. I'm more annoyed with them as a couple because it's so telegraphed with the popularity of the actors that they'd be a couple. I guess, on the other hand, at least we're being dumped in the middle of their relationship roller coaster, so their romance has been well established as ongoing.

I'm really digging Conrad. This time, his God complex almost screws him further. However, it does work out for the better with letting the cancer patient and his wife go home! I mean, Conrad was 100% correct in that it's the patient's decision to do the biopsy. 

So, because of Mina and probably her own intellect, Claire is savvy to Bell's tricks this time. I think she's also been cautious, but it's good to see that he could lose his job simply by lying about his tremors and health issues. Maybe if he had been honest from the start, they could have salvaged his job. But now, Claire'll be pissed that he lied, it'll cost Chastain money, which Claire very much cares deeply about, and it'll be a mess for Bell, who has been avoiding losing his job in the first place. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Man, I never expected Mina to finally stand up to Bell in the way that she did. But it was so satisfying to see; good on her for giving it back to Bell, who has been using her from the beginning. I do think he genuinely cares about her and thinks she's talented, but he's also been using her for his own gain.

So, Jude screws up again. I have a bad feeling about where his storyline is going now. Potential suicide watch incoming for him? Which is a shame, because I've love Warren Christie ever since Alphas, so I don't want him gone. 

So, Conrad catches on to Lane! Yay! Now that's three+Dev's girlfriend Priya. It's good that Conrad caught on to Lane's shadiness. I have no doubt that she really believes she can help these people. But I can't believe that she's not aware that her actions are probably not entirely legal, and that keeping important medical information will kill patients faster than curing them. I think I know where they're going with Lane, but then they seem to catch me off guard with how they handle things on this show. For all I know, Lane's not as bad as they're making her seem. I think I have to stop expecting something to go exactly how I picture. 

So, more Conrad/Nic stuff. I'm more annoyed with them as a couple because it's so telegraphed with the popularity of the actors that they'd be a couple. I guess, on the other hand, at least we're being dumped in the middle of their relationship roller coaster, so their romance has been well established as ongoing.

I'm really digging Conrad. This time, his God complex almost screws him further. However, it does work out for the better with letting the cancer patient and his wife go home! I mean, Conrad was 100% correct in that it's the patient's decision to do the biopsy. 

So, because of Mina and probably her own intellect, Claire is savvy to Bell's tricks this time. I think she's also been cautious, but it's good to see that he could lose his job simply by lying about his tremors and health issues. Maybe if he had been honest from the start, they could have salvaged his job. But now, Claire'll be pissed that he lied, it'll cost Chastain money, which Claire very much cares deeply about, and it'll be a mess for Bell, who has been avoiding losing his job in the first place. 

I disagree that Lane may care for the patients. It is all about money with her. Because of that scene with her and Bell and her saying "We went to med school, raked up a lot of debts and we might as well get paid well for what we do. " 

The thing about Bells' tremors, can he not jsut be in administration from now on and not operate on anybody? He needs to get honest about this quick!

• Love 5
Just now, seniorpatriot said:

I disagree that Lane may care for the patients. It is all about money with her. Because of that scene with her and Bell and her saying "We went to med school, raked up a lot of debts and we might as well get paid well for what we do. " 

I agree - she's only concerned about the money.  She doesn't even let patients speak, much less listen to them.

• Love 10

I agree. I am not a Conrad/Nic fan, because so much of the time I hate predetermined couples. I prefer when shows see where the chemistry is before pairing up characters. I just find them so bland together. I prefer their interactions with other characters far more than them together. Like you said, at least we started the show in the middle of their romance. I do also, like that they seem to be written with maturity instead of acting ridiculously when dealing with their relationship.

• Love 2

Always great to see Stephen Henderson.  Enjoyed his as the cancer patient who Lane was trying to force to stick around for money, even though he just wanted to leave and enjoy the time he had left, instead of be stuck sick and in the hospital for the rest of days, even if they were going to be mere weeks.  Glad Conrad and Nic were able to find a way out for him.  And Conrad finally seems to realize what Lane is capable off.

Glad to see Devon's fiancee again and her investigating Lane's clinic is an interesting idea.  I do think it will end up causing problems for them though, even though Devon is supporting her.

Mina getting one over Bell was nice.  I wonder what Bell's next move is going to be.  Different medication?  Try to find someone else to do his bidding?

Figured the baseball player was going to end up being slimy, but it was still fun watching Nic finally take him down and his meekness after it.  I wonder how much Devon knew. He didn't say anything, but he was less fanboyish (although still professional) in their final scene.

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, Ashand11 said:

I love how this show highlights the main problem with the US health system that everyone seems to ignore

I do, too.  It's a different take on the typical hospital show, which I appreciate, but they are telling a story that needs to be told, too.

• Love 8
23 hours ago, izabella said:

I do, too.  It's a different take on the typical hospital show, which I appreciate, but they are telling a story that needs to be told, too.

Exactly. Its showing the problem with the US health system in a very real way. People think oh, treatment is expensive so people won't get it done.  They don't realize that also doctors might be pushing necessary medical treatment on them to make money and patients won't know any better to say no because they will just assume that the doctor has expertise that they do not.

• Love 5

I am just here for my Naija babe! Okafor representing! Although I wonder how they came up with her first name, Mina. Anyway the show is good. I have been around doctors all my life - siblings, family members, friends, even married one. Their arrogance is not to be believed, though I think the main guy overdoes it. Why doesn't he wear a white coat or scrubs like the others?

Is it just me or does anybody else notice a strange chemistry ( not romantic ooo, bah!) between Bell and Mina? Two arrogant and competent people trying to best each other. I hope he truly comes to like (again not romantic) and respect her. The banter/sparring will be something to see.

Edited by skyways
  • Love 2

"I'll tell the board that I'm not ready for surgery. That I am a menace to medicine" 

That followed by Nic's response almost killed me with laughter!!!!!! Mina is my favourite character! Loved that quick scene with her and Nic. Nice little moment to expand on their bonding in the previous ep.

I don't know what to think of Lane. I kinda think she does want to help these people but has maybe gone rogue. Either way I am intrigued to find out more.

I like that even though the shady characters are shady, they have moments where I wonder if they are all that bad. Except Bell! Bell is pretty bad. But I enjoy watching him so much!

I was not on board with the Nic/Conrad drama but I thought they handled it well this episode. He pretty much fessed up to being a bit of a mess and she seems very level headed.

• Love 2
On ‎3‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 1:48 PM, seniorpatriot said:

I think its all about ego and greed with Lane.  But based on the last few episodes, I expect her to claim that its because revenue drives donation and funding for research so she's milking the insurance companies for every last dollar for the greater good and funding of cancer research and the terminal patients that die too soon or with more suffering than they should are unfortunate collateral damage in her mission to save people just like them.  It will all be BS.   But I see her spinning it that way in her head because evil rarely thinks its evil.

I'll add that Lane is probably more of a monster than we realize.  I say this simply because its already known by the "good" doctors that she is willing to hasten her patients deaths or make their last days miserable to maximize the profitability of their cancer and the good doctors haven't reported her.   How do they top that? They'll need something dastardly for the ultimate reveal to hand wave that the "good" doctors haven't reported the "lesser" crimes/infractions.

So what could that be?  I personally think that Lily either never had cancer in the first place (they dropped a line about Lane being the only one able to find Lily's cancer) or maybe Lane only uses these unethical approaches on the terminal and statistically unlikely to survive patients and Lily is one of the rare few that went into remission.  But this left Lane with a problem that the cancer was gone but Lily was still dying from renal failure because of her chemo treatments.  Lane is basically continuing treatment for cancer because she can't risk the investigation about why Lily's cancer is gone but she's dying anyway.  For that matter, I think the marrow transplant may have been more about killing Lily to remove the risk of having a live patient and someone figuring this out than wanting to get the money from the transplant.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4