Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E13: Chapter Seventy-Seven

When Jane, Rogelio, and Alba learn what is going on with Xo, they all try to comfort her, but Xo insists they let her live her life. Rogelio finally gets River Fields to agree to meet with him, but he learns that River has another plan in mind. Rafael is on a mission to find his sister who may have the information he has been looking for. Meanwhile, Jane is upset with Petra after her girls spill a secret to Mateo.

Promo:

I knew Xo was lying about the biopsy but I didn't think we'd get the reveal until next week. I don't think I realized until tonight how much I love the Jane/Petra relationship (our Jane, not J.R.) There's so much history there, much of it ugly, but when the chips are down they're always  there for each other.

• Love 3

Awwwwww, Petra got me three times in this episode, first when she made Alba tell her about Xo by saying, "I'm family," again when when she dressed up as the tooth fairy to fix things with Mateo, and then when she told Jane how hard it was when she was waiting for Rafael's test results.

I also loved Jane trying to comfort Rogelio and give him a pep talk. The more I think about it, the more I love all of Jane's relationships on this show: Jane/Petra, Jane/Rafael, Jane/Xiomara, Jane/Rogelio, Jane/Alba.

When Rafael found Luisa and she asked if he had only tracked her down to get his money back, I wish he had told her that he's been trying to find her since he found out that Magda and Anezka set her up to make her think she was crazy.

I knew Xo was lying, but I understand why she did it.

• Love 7

Yeah,I was sure that Xo was lying, too.   

Petra owned that episode.  I like Petra anyway but this was a really strong Petra episode.

I'm not even a little interested in either Louisa or Rose.  

• Love 4

Louisa I can deal with because Rafael loves her and most of her problematic actions were a result of addiction or mental health problems but Rose? God, no! Among all her other crimes, she murdered Michael and the fact we've never seen Jane express any emotions about her long-overdue arrest drives me nuts. I really only want to Rose again if it's a death scene and treated as a 'ding, dong, the witch is dead!" scenario and not another murder mystery we're supposed to want solved.

• Love 4

Emotional episode. A sad Rogelio was almost too much for me as well. I'm not looking forward to this breast cancer storyline in any way. I kind of just want everyone to be relatively happy until the show ends. Cancer is somehow worse than death for me on this show. Go figure.

Petra really was the mvp of this episode. Her willingness to help make Mateo believe in the tooth fairy again, reminding Alba that she's a part of the family and her cuteness with JR being the standout moments. She's grown so tremendously as a character. 

Louisa continues to be as selfish as ever. I don't think I will ever like her. I get that her money ruined her life so she got rid of it but Rafael's money too? Mateo's money? How could she just destroy her brothers birth records like that?  I'm glad Rafael basically told her he hadn't been looking for her, she's one of the worst siblings I've seen on tv.

I can't wait for the day that we don't ever have to see Rose again on this show.

I know that Jane wanted Rafael to focus on finding his parents but not telling him about Xo at all didn't sit well with me. He's a part of the family as well and I know he would have wanted to be there for Jane and everyone else. 

• Love 2

Oh, whenever Rogelio starts to try, I start to cry. I figured that Xo was lying, but it was still super sad to see. This show has just been getting darker and darker, with Michael's death being the darkest, but with that, they desperately jumped ahead in time to keep it from keeping the jokes down too much. With Xo having cancer, its hard to push that to the side. The last scene with the whole family praying in Spanish was a gut punch, its hard to see the show going full wacky for awhile. 

I found some sympathy for Louisa, but I still hate Rose and how much Louisa lets her get away with. 

Great episode for Petra, especially when she dressed up as the tooth fairy, and when she was telling Jane about how much she struggled with Rafs cancer as well. 

• Love 2

There wasn't much J/R in this episode. Justin is directing this week's episode. It still was a good episode and I love the show as a whole. Xo is not one my favorite characters but I enjoyed the beginning of this cancer storyline. I hope Xo and Rafael get some scenes together because he's the only one who went through the same thing. I loved the family praying together like that. Luisa giving away all the money is not shocking. She always had a problem with their wealth. She blamed the money for many of their problems. Now, will she return Rose? I hope not but Rose is her weakness. I forgot Rose was Mutter aka Elena's stepdaughter. Elena was Rafael's mother. The woman he thought was his biological mom for over 30+ years. So of course Rose would know who Raf's birth parents are. Too bad she wants info on Luisa in exchange for that information. Rafael can find this stuff out on his own. This is television and he already knows where to start. I enjoyed Petra dressing up as the tooth fairy. lol It was great to see the twins so much. They disappeared for awhile. Only like one, two or no scenes. 

On 3/16/2018 at 10:11 PM, JamieLynn832002 said:

I knew Xo was lying about the biopsy but I didn't think we'd get the reveal until next week. I don't think I realized until tonight how much I love the Jane/Petra relationship (our Jane, not J.R.) There's so much history there, much of it ugly, but when the chips are down they're always  there for each other.

agreed. I love that Petra has grown enough to know - and want - to fix it.

I was Team Petra regarding the Tooth Fairy. Why lie to children? Maybe let them believe the stories they hear for awhile, but when they have been clued in or realized that the tradition is not exactly literal and ask you directly, lying seems like a bad move. Is it really a good idea to try to teach people to suppress their logical reasoning abilities and believe nonsense? And to teach your kids that you lie to them, since they're eventually going to figure that out? Why not tell them it's a fun tradition rather than insist that it's literal fact?

It was interesting to see the story from Luisa's perspective. Her mother's mental illness and her fears of ending up like her, especially with people often comparing them and telling Luisa she's crazy like her mother and also gaslighting and framing her, would certainly be aggravating and disorienting and make her often question her own sanity. Which doesn't excuse the fact that she kept aiding and abetting Rose even knowing the stuff she'd done. It's telenovela tradition to have an antagonist redeemed; maybe that will be her. Or maybe she's just pulling another fast one on Rafael.

• Love 1

I was totally Team Petra, too. It was her choice not to lie to her kids, and she told them not to tell anyone else the truth -- she did her due diligence there. That said, I loved that she dressed up as the tooth fairy, climbed through a  window, and gave Mateo a twenty because she had no idea of the going rate.

Petra's just been given a lot of great material lately. I love the JR stuff -- it's fun to see Petra so off her game, and it's nice to see her with someone who knows when to challenge her and when to just go along with her even when she knows she's full of crap. It's also nice to see her softening up more and more with Jane and her family while still staying true to her character. She's lost some of the hard edges, but she's still Petra.

• Love 4

I'm not Team Petra because in my house we not only do all the normal magic creatures like Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc but we have a whole host of other magical guys that are exclusive to our house like Marshmelfie the elf who fills the marshmallow bowl whenever we need them for hot chocolate and the anthropomorphic carrot toys who are currently getting up at night to arrange Easter countdown surprises. But I was a bit disappointed that Petra's decision to be honest with her kids was framed as the wrong choice that was a result of her deprived childhood. Not doing magical creatures is a perfectly valid parenting choice that many parents choose for all sorts of well-thought out reasons that they have decided are best for their family. I know plenty of people who don't do Santa and it's never been due to deep rooted childhood trauma.

• Love 5

We don’t do Santa because we’re Jewish but what’s funny is if you ask any Jewish adult they’ll tell you - we viewed it as our sacred duty not to reveal the truth to our classmates lol

• Love 5
18 hours ago, AllyB said:

Not doing magical creatures is a perfectly valid parenting choice that many parents choose for all sorts of well-thought out reasons that they have decided are best for their family. I know plenty of people who don't do Santa and it's never been due to deep rooted childhood trauma.

My family did Santa (but not the Easter Bunny or Tooth Fairy), but my parents never lied to us about it. When we were little they'd read us the story books about Santa, but never said it was more literal than any of the other children's books with talking animals and whatnot, and stockings appeared on Christmas morning. But once we were old enough to question the reality of a flying sleigh and making it to everyone's house on the same night, they were just like "play along with this game and you'll get presents." That was good enough!

I'm glad they didn't insist Santa really did this, because even as a young child I was very concerned with logical analysis and things making sense. Trying to make sense of that would have been very distressing to me. Of course, they did insist on raising me in a religion which I do not believe and find obviously, demonstrably false, and still insist that it is fact, and that has been an ongoing source of annoyance and sense of betrayal in my life.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, Enginerd said:

I'm glad they didn't insist Santa really did this, because even as a young child I was very concerned with logical analysis and things making sense. Trying to make sense of that would have been very distressing to me. Of course, they did insist on raising me in a religion which I do not believe and find obviously, demonstrably false, and still insist that it is fact, and that has been an ongoing source of annoyance and sense of betrayal in my life.

My family is the complete opposite. My son is so totally into to magical creatures that many things that I clearly do, are attributed to some sort of imaginary character. In the rest of his life he's all about the details of how things work but once it comes to good 'magic' his suspension of disbelief is total. When he gets older and starts asking are Santa&co real I just plan on turning the question back on him and letting him land on the answer he actually wants. It's my experience that children often want to be given the ok to keep believing rather than the truth when they first ask and they'll acknowledge the truth themselves in stages. On the other hand we are a non-religious family and my son will generally deconstruct a religious story he has been told if it is at odds with facts he knows. (Especially anything that disregards dinosaurs.)

• Love 3
On 3/17/2018 at 4:44 AM, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Awwwwww, Petra got me three times in this episode, first when she made Alba tell her about Xo by saying, "I'm family," again when when she dressed up as the tooth fairy to fix things with Mateo, and then when she told Jane how hard it was when she was waiting for Rafael's test results.

On 3/18/2018 at 12:48 AM, blugirlami21 said:

Petra really was the mvp of this episode. Her willingness to help make Mateo believe in the tooth fairy again, reminding Alba that she's a part of the family and her cuteness with JR being the standout moments. She's grown so tremendously as a character.

When Petra put on that tight-fitting blue dress so that she could entice J.R. into spending some sexy time with her again it really made me hope they'd be able to work it out.  But when J.R. took Petra into the hallway to explain that they were not going to have a romance ol' hardcore Petra just took that hit and let it slide off of her hardened skin.

The way Petra always looked into J.R.'s eyes though was saddening.  She'd look and sometimes she'd appear to be so hopeful as she did when she ran outside with that pen.  But when J.R. wouldn't give it up Petra just seemed so dejected.  I like it that she just wants to get with J.R. and will make even ridiculous attempts to be around her.

Petra's major effort to restore Mateo's belief in the Tooth Fairy, her insisting that Alba tell her what was happening in the Villanueva family and Jane watching the twins makes the relationship between Petra and Jane, though they fuss and argue, pretty solid.

Also on the solid side of relationships is Xo and Alba.  When Xo called Alba, claiming that she was upset about the non-working doorknob, Alba knew the real deal and didn't even pretend that she couldn't make it to her daughter's house "with the toolkit" to calm her down.

I know this may be an uncommon/unpopular opinion but I absolutely hate how Jane is so hypocritical of EVERYONE. she even acknowledges her judginess but does nothing to see things from other ppl’s perspective (at least not until she lashes out at the person/people first).  

On 3/20/2018 at 6:44 PM, AllyB said:

I'm not Team Petra because in my house we not only do all the normal magic creatures like Santa, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc but we have a whole host of other magical guys that are exclusive to our house like Marshmelfie the elf who fills the marshmallow bowl whenever we need them for hot chocolate and the anthropomorphic carrot toys who are currently getting up at night to arrange Easter countdown surprises. But I was a bit disappointed that Petra's decision to be honest with her kids was framed as the wrong choice that was a result of her deprived childhood. Not doing magical creatures is a perfectly valid parenting choice that many parents choose for all sorts of well-thought out reasons that they have decided are best for their family. I know plenty of people who don't do Santa and it's never been due to deep rooted childhood trauma.

ALSO, doesn’t Jane frown on lying. Why continuously lie about something so dumb but she lost her shit when they had to use her parents address for Mateo’s school? Such a hypocrite. Petra has done her dirt but she is never given the benefit of the doubt.

• Love 1

I loved Petra in this episode. This was one of my favourites. I really like that they are all a family - they bicker, they have things they don't like about each other, but they also love each other. This show is really helping to relax me, and get away from everything going on.