Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E07: Eye of the Tiger

thewhiteowl
  • Start Topic

No comments yet, quite telling.

We got the best tattoos of the season, ruined by the worst manufactured drama and stupid challenge construction of the season.

I swear this would be a good show if the producers would just get out of their own way sometimes and let the good artists make good art. 

• Love 11

Not a whole lot to say in a week with only 5 canvases. I thought all of the tag-team tattoos were nice but agree that Anthony's team had the best. Likewise, I liked both tiger tattoos but thought that Josh's had a much more dynamic angle and design. We've seen before in previous seasons (the Matty vs Sausage zombie face-off comes to mind) that all things being roughly equal, the dynamic pose will almost always beat a straight on pose. 

The drama is annoying as always. Not sure why DJ is on the verge of tears at some point in every episode. Josh is arrogant but has cranked out the best tattoos so far this season. My cannon fodder radar is telling me we have about 2 more weeks left before things really crank up. 

• Love 5

The thing is that this season I don't think the hate or drama is manufactured. Reading comments from both Steve and Daniel on Twitter, they legitimately hate Josh. Whether he's playing to the cameras or not, I don't know, but I do know that these dudes still dislike him. 

• Love 3

I agree with the judging of the tag team tattoo.

With the elimination tattoo, while both were very good overall, they both had problems, and I think either could have justifiably gone home.  But in the end I think they made the right decision as those whiskers were bad and were a larger part of the tattoo.

While I appreciate them twisting up the format a little, it was a little boring with only 5 tattoos.  Maybe have the bottom 2 from each team up for elimination might have been better.

• Love 2

Anthony's team winning really goes to show how much the temperament of the coach factors into the success /of the team. I actually think DJ and Steve's teams probably have stronger tattooers, but they as coaches are so antagonistic and explosive that they can't really get any team cohesiveness together. I know that's why they were chosen but man, I would much prefer a season with Anthony/Shane/Joey (if we're going all winners), or I wish they would've saved Tommy for this season and made him a coach. I think the time constraints really messed with Tommy as a contestant, but as a coach, I think he would've been fantastic.

I have to say, I was actually a little appalled at how Josh and DJ were arguing over the design in front of the canvas, and I put more of that on DJ then Josh. If you're the coach, then don't just say "You're wrong; there's better ways to do it" in a sing-song voice, actually tell him what you think the better way is.

Also, I have HATED Steve since his original season - I can acknowledge he's talented, but I just can't stand him - so I cracked up when he was pointing out the flaws in Josh's tiger and the judges just ignored him.

• Love 6

I thought that was a little bullshitty. Gary's whiskers weren't as clean as Josh's, but they were still readable. They looked like the tiger's whiskers, and didn't really detracted from the overall appearance of the tattoo. Josh's lazy eye, however, made the whole piece suffer as a result. All I could see was the eyeball, and so any good work he did in the other areas didn't really matter. It was a tiger with a wonky eye. Overall, I found Gary's to be more aesthetically pleasing.  I also thought he had a better face shape/pose. 
Given that Matt went home because he had a bad tattoo on the day, I think Josh should have gone based on this tattoo alone. I'm sick of the inconsistent judging criteria. Yes, Josh is the best overall artist, but if someone beats him in a challenge, then he should go. This has happened so many times in the past - a strong contestant is saved because of their portfolio.

I would have loved to see Joey and Tommy as coaches, but as a non-winner, I don't think they could bring Tommy back. I think Joey is the best artist the show's ever had, so I think he'd wipe the smirk right off DJ's face (I say that as someone who likes DJ). His post-show portfolio is absolutely stunning. I like Steve ok, despite not really enjoying him on S2. I think he does the coaching role well, and is a good balance of supportive/nurturing (Anthony) and aggressive/strategic (DJ).

My ideal masters in terms of talent and coaching potential would be: Joey, Shane, Ryan/DJ <DJ is more versatile, but Ryan is soooo good at black/grey>

• Love 3

If I could give four thousand likes to everyone calling out the stupid drama on this season, I would.  I had such high hopes at the beginning and now I'm like "well, I'll finish this season".  Ugh.  I didn't mind the challenge so much but I'm sick of DJ (and I'm thinking he'll win this one, too), Steve has really never bothered me that much (I know, minority here), and I love Anthony (Cleen Rock One stuff aside).  I have to be up at o'dark thirty, can't ONE episode be worth staying up for????  Please guys and gals?  And get off of Twitter and stuff. 

• Love 5

I fell asleep twice and had to re-watch when I finally saw the end on the 3rd go-round. Thanks Paramount! I love not being able to fast forward On Demand.

I thought Josh's wonky eye was way worse that Gary's electric whiskers. It reminded me of my 2nd stepfather the way it was wondering off to the side.   

• Love 3
On 2/24/2018 at 12:00 PM, Jal said:

If I had to choose one of those two tattoos to put on my body, it would've been Gary's. I can't stand wonky eyes.

Maybe the canvas will go in for a cover up that will put an eye patch on the tiger's messed up eye...then it can be a pirate tiger.

• Love 4
On 2/21/2018 at 9:34 PM, Charlesman said:

No comments yet, quite telling.

We got the best tattoos of the season, ruined by the worst manufactured drama and stupid challenge construction of the season.

I swear this would be a good show if the producers would just get out of their own way sometimes and let the good artists make good art. 

This is a good answer about tattoo.