Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E15: An Inconvenient Ruth

Yikes! I am not comfortable having to post the episode and hope I did it right.  Am I the only one still watching the show?  I thought this was another good episode and like that they are trying to move Riggs beyond his alcoholic behavior.  And I can definitely get on board with Swoosie Kurtz being his sober coach!

I am not sure how I feel about Roger's behavior though. I have always enjoyed Roger's family and the glimpses we get of his life with Trish and the kids. And I am in love with Harper! I can understand the midlife crisis but I hope he and Trish work things out quickly.  

• Love 5

You aren't the only one watching the show gibasi.  But I agree, I am getting a little sick of Roger's insecurities and over-reactions.  He needs to pull it back just a bit.  

Is Swoosie Kurtz staying with the show, or was this a one-off?  I'm not sure how I feel about her, between her and Roger, I was rolling my eyes out of my head through most of this episode.  

I did enjoy Riggs getting smacked in the head.  Bowman hitting the dark web, nervously.  

I enjoy this show. It is a bit off beat and I like most of it. There are times that the writers take the characters act like complete idiots. The past two episodes made Roger look really insecure and dumb as a box of rocks. There for awhile they were making Riggs look so out of control and immature. He needs to grow his character to get past the booze issue. This episode showed that he wants to do that. Sure hope the writers don't send back down the rabbit hole. He can be different cop just not the completely out of control one of the past shows. I was married for teen years to an alcoholic and attended Ala-Anon meetings for eight years. This really helped me understand me. Let Riggs grow and mature. showing the out of control boozing cop is not the right thing.

• Love 1

I'm still watching, but my DVR keeps missing it, for some reason. Since late November, it hasn't been scheduling most of the shows that I record.

I don't mind Roger's insecurities, but I have several of my own. I did think maybe almost getting blown up, would have him realizing why his wife was concerned, but of course it didn't. 

I didn't know Riggs was supposed to be 46. If he was the one Roger was talking to, about six years between them. I wasn't looking at the TV.

4 hours ago, singsong said:

Is Swoosie Kurtz staying with the show, or was this a one-off?  I'm not sure how I feel about her, between her and Roger, I was rolling my eyes out of my head through most of this episode. 

God, I can only hope she dies horribly soon. I wanted to punch her in the face most of the time she was on the screen. Which is a shame because I did like the message she was trying to get across that getting sober is not a one-and-done thing, but a lifetime process.

Also still watching. I hope Ruth stays around for a bit, her advice was sound. Riggs current support system is pretty shaky with Cahill not getting through to him and Murtaugh on a massive midlife crisis trip - so crazy old lady who dishes out tough advice seems like a good idea for a couple of episodes.

There was some great stunt-work in this episode (I did miss that 80's craziness flavor a bit recently) and I liked that Riggs got a somewhat lighter plot whilst Roger's shenanigans were leading to something darker than the usual comic relief. Riggs might need to finally address his issues - but so does Murtaugh. I'm with Trish - and I 'm glad that she never blamed Riggs for her husband's crazy behavior. That would have been too easy. 

But the best part of the episode was the revelation that Avery is into (illegal) Korean skin-care that he has to buy from the Darkweb - I wonder how much layering he does LOL!

Edited by MissLucas
  • Love 3

I got around to watching it earlier tonight and I quite enjoyed the episode. I also really liked Swoosie Kurtz and thought she had great chemistry with Riggs. I hope she will stick around for a bit, I think Riggs needs all the help he can get, and she's quite amusing.

Murtaugh needs to chill a bit, he's trying way too hard but I loved the whole car scene, and rescuing the kitty, heh. I was just surprised that he and Trish went to bed angry. My super couple can't be estranged for long, damn it.

• Love 2

Did the case they were working on make any sense at all, who was doing what to whom and why? Driverless car, Dark web, insurance policy, prenup, kidnapping, mistresses, car bomb, bankruptcy, arson, henchmen, murder, jewelry heist. Why?

• Love 1

Riggs and Rog getting outraged that the suspect didn't know who Knight Rider was were the highlights

As a HUGE Michael Knight/KITT fan, I was DYING at that exchange:

Roger: "Hasselhoff?!"

Riggs: "KITT?!"

Suspect: "Do they work here?" 

Riggs: "I don't even know how to respond to that." 

Hee! 

• Love 9
On 2/7/2018 at 4:00 PM, Anela said:

I didn't know Riggs was supposed to be 46. If he was the one Roger was talking to, about six years between them. I wasn't looking at the TV.

Rog was talking to Avery when he said that. Not sure how old Riggs is supposed to be, but the actor who plays him is only 39.

• Love 1

Finally got around to watching this one.  It's almost embarrassing how bad the writing is sometimes.  We've seen Riggs destroying property, quite publicly, and now he's shooting bottles on the beach with people around, and apparently there are no repercussions.  I get suspending disbelief, but usually that's reserved for things like shooting five bad guys with five bullets in two seconds, or jumping off buildings into a swimming pool.  Not police officers who are actually dangerous to the public, witnessed by lots of people, even caught on video and posted to the Internet, with no consequences other than "his shrink is now officially responsible for his behavior".  Roger being so insecure that he becomes an absolute idiot, getting stuck in a kiddie slide and destroying the bouncy house, is just as bad.  Was that supposed to be funny?  Because it was just embarrassing and sad.

Then it swings the other way, and we get a couple of Roger the Super Hero scenes, and some nice development for Riggs via Swoosie Kurtz, who tends to make everything better.  When she pulled out the .357 in the store, I thought maybe she was undercover or something, but no, she's just a whack job with a gun.  And no follow-up to her shooting someone?

Bowman was good, but no Bailey this time, and it was really obvious because Bowman was the only other cop with speaking lines other than the captain.  I guess they can't afford the whole cast in any given episode?

I actually forgot that there was a case-of-the-week, since it doesn't really matter.  The case is just an excuse for all the craziness with Riggs and Murtaugh.  Trish was pissed, rightfully so, that Roger ran into a building about to explode, and I kept expecting him to say "But I had to save the kitty cat!" or something.  That would have been pretty lame, but no worse than some of the other stuff he did.

In the end, I was entertained, which is the main thing, so I'll keep watching.  But it almost feels like a chore to get to that point.  The writing is so uneven.  By now, I would have thought that they'd have figured out the tone they're going for with this show, but it's still all over the map.

Edited by Orbert
  • Love 1