Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Burning Miles

paulvdb

While Principal Durbin struggles with budget cuts, Jack discovers his students pity him - so he rallies, making a splash at the school bake sale and getting kicked out of the bookstore for life.

This episode is available to watch online.

This was confusing- in this episode Jack acted like he had never met Paula Pell's character, like he was being introduced to her for the first time.

Also, the introduction of the new black student was kind of abrupt- he just kind of showed up without any explanation.

To make matters worse, they flipped the order of these 2 episodes. I guess it made more sense to lead with episode 4 first- I actually thought it was the strongest episode yet. The rivalry between Jack and the student council kid had kind of a "Rushmore" quality to it. 

5 hours ago, Phishbulb said:

This was confusing- in this episode Jack acted like he had never met Paula Pell's character, like he was being introduced to her for the first time.

Also, the introduction of the new black student was kind of abrupt- he just kind of showed up without any explanation.

To make matters worse, they flipped the order of these 2 episodes. I guess it made more sense to lead with episode 4 first- I actually thought it was the strongest episode yet. The rivalry between Jack and the student council kid had kind of a "Rushmore" quality to it. 

Wasn't he the bully from the pilot episode? I definitely felt like the episodes last night were being shown in the wrong order and should have aired before teacher jail.

I loved the kids secretly going Dumbledore's army in trying to teach themselves biology. However, I still hate Jack. He wouldn't be so terrible if he just left the kids alone to study biology on their own, but he keeps pestering them with his dumb revenge plots. Also he seems to be the least philosophical philosophy professor. It's more than just mentioning philosophers. And I'm sure he didn't get tenure because everyone can see he is completely morally bankrupt.

Honestly, this would have been the episode when I quit watching but Heather was so cute rocking her 80's Working Girl power suit. Right now I'm only watching this for the kids. I'll give it few more episodes but if the teacher is still so douchey, I'm out.

16 hours ago, festivus said:

I'll give it few more episodes but if the teacher is still so douchey, I'm out.

I feel like he is at the appropriate level of doucheyness for the premise to work. The stylized presentation sends clear signals that this is not realism, we shouldn't expect too much overt humanity and empathy. Even so, Jack seems to have shown small kindnesses occasionally -- talking to Marcus after he realized that he didn't know the election was rigged, trying to help Dan Decker fit in, bringing Dan Decker into the class in the first place in order to somehow fix the bullying situation with the kid whose name I don't remember, and defending the principal when he saw his union rep was going too far in Teacher Jail. But these things usually happen after he has caused a problem in the first place.

On a shallow note, I find Glenn Howerton very handsome, love Jack's ridiculous sweaters, and swooned a bit when he was doing his baking in just a scanty bib apron.

• Love 4

I watched through this episode, but this show is not for me. The teacher guy (I can't even remember anybody's name) is just an annoying character, there is nothing about him that makes me want to see what he'll do, & the main girl student mumbles her lines, I haven't been able to understand a single thing she has said. I'm out.

21 hours ago, Sparger Springs said:

I know TV is make believe, but does this man just have one class to teach? A public school in a budget crisis pays a philosophy professor to teach one class AP Biology and he doesn't do that.

I also know it’s make believe, and yet I continue to worry about these kids who are getting short-changed on their education and just want to be taught biology! 

• Love 2

I’m enjoying this series. I don’t watch many school shows, but am very well versed in school culture. I’m not watching for realism, just a fun background show while I fold laundry, etc. I enjoyed the lead actor from Mindy and the variety of staff tropes are funny to me. I think the series shows promise and am hanging in there. 

• Love 1
On 4/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, Dizzychickstar said:

I’m enjoying this series. I don’t watch many school shows, but am very well versed in school culture. I’m not watching for realism, just a fun background show while I fold laundry, etc. I enjoyed the lead actor from Mindy and the variety of staff tropes are funny to me. I think the series shows promise and am hanging in there. 

Oh!!!! Glenn was Cliff on Mindy Project! I had to look it up.  I always thought Cliff was so cute, and didn't realize this was him. ( still cute)

• Love 1