Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E06: Man with My Face

It's usually hard to top James Purefoy in the camp department, but Matt Frewer sure is giving him a run for his money.  I can only imagine what would happen if those two shared the screen!

Nice to see Byron Mann bust out a few more fighting skills for what I'm going to guess is the last time.  I figured they were going to find a way to have Kovacs face off against his former skin, but it was still a pretty fun moment.

So, Issac really was using a Banecroft skin to make deals behind his back, but they no longer think he's the killer.  Hmm...

Sure, it sucks that her partner is dead and she herself got put through the woodshed, but at least Ortega's got a sweet-ass robotic arm out of it!

The actual Reileen has arrived and is apparently a badass ninja, who is still wearing her Dichen Lachman skin, so she's either got a few clones herself, or she's so awesome that she's never needed to have to change one out.

• Love 2

Matt Frewer is fantastically entertaining in all things. 

Kovacs/Vernon/Poe are awesome musketeers! I would watch a show with just the 3 of them. 

Tamara Taylor really is doing a great job of portraying an absolutely reprehensible example of failed humanity. I do hope that somebody shoots her repeatedly fairly soon. The actress is doing a great job, but I hate her guts. So I hope she gets hers. 

Another episode where I remain baffled why everyone, including Ortega herself is blaming Kovacs for her own stupid actions. She saw Samir get his stack blown out in the elevator, why is she even angry at Kovacs about lying to reassure her? And why in hell is she blaming him for the amputation? How is it even possible for this character to get more unlikable every episode?!

That was a weirdly elaborate and apparently pointless plot to resurrect Kovac's 250 year old body. If there was a larger point to that whole subplot I missed it completely. 

When it comes to lunching on the scenery nobody comes close to J.P. That whole clone-bashing scene was way more entertaining than it should have been, or was probably intended to. He really is doing a great job as the evil emperor!

• Love 4

Okay, I'm really glad I stuck with this show. The last two eps have been awesome. 

On 2/6/2018 at 8:46 PM, CaptainTightpants said:

Another episode where I remain baffled why everyone, including Ortega herself is blaming Kovacs for her own stupid actions. She saw Samir get his stack blown out in the elevator, why is she even angry at Kovacs about lying to reassure her? And why in hell is she blaming him for the amputation? How is it even possible for this character to get more unlikable every episode?!

I don't know really, maybe she was too out of it at that point to realize and/or she just didn't want to face it. I'm having the opposite reaction to Ortega though, I'm liking her more and more every episode. Now off to read the ep. 5 thread, binge watching a streaming show is weird.  For posting, I mean.

Edited by festivus
  • Love 2

I was wondering when the sister was going to show up, but actually I thought it was going to be the girlfriend. You know she's got to show up eventually.

I am enjoying this show. I want to watch the next episode but I really have to make dinner now. Curse you stomach!

5 minutes ago, AngelKitty said:

I was wondering when the sister was going to show up, but actually I thought it was going to be the girlfriend. You know she's got to show up eventually.

I thought it would be the girlfriend too so they did get me with the sister.  I've got the whole night free tonight so I'm going to binge finish this bitch.

• Love 2

Reileen shooting and slicing all those flunkies in the cage/arena tunnel made me think of John Wick gun-fu scenes. I hope Wick gets to dual-wield a sword and gun next movie.

• Love 2

Matt Frewer as an underground murderous fight club announcer is basically why the guy started making movies in the first place. That scene was actually pretty kick ass, and while I still think the Ortega/Kovacs love affair thing is rushed, but I am enjoying their chemistry more the last few episodes, and they certainly make a good fighting team. 

Sister is back! Super excited to see her, and that was an awesome entrance for her. That will certainly be an interesting dynamic. How long has she been around? 

The guy who plays the dead skin head is a really good actor, he nails everyone who borrows his body, and I hope he becomes a running joke, where people just keep on jacking his body and he keeps getting hurt in comical ways. 

I still dig the Kovacs/Poe/Vernon interaction, although I wish Vernon would let Poe do his thing. I mean, what Poe is doing seems weird, but at least it seems more helpful than just leaving her in that weird cyerspace land. "I just met this guy". "Tell Vernon I am not speaking to him" "You can tell him yourself". 

• Love 8

The hard ass police chief is such a trope. Literally in 10 seconds he went from "Don't tell me unless you're 100% sure" to "Why didn't you tell me about this sooner?" It was funny but I don't think it was meant to be, so I'm hoping that with the payoff revelation we won't have to deal with him anymore.

Does this world not have self-driving cars, or did Kovacs just circumvent it so he could break the traffic laws? The latter seems to be a sci-fi staple as well, but I could do without it.

On 2/24/2018 at 3:05 PM, Amarsir said:

The hard ass police chief is such a trope. Literally in 10 seconds he went from "Don't tell me unless you're 100% sure" to "Why didn't you tell me about this sooner?" It was funny but I don't think it was meant to be, so I'm hoping that with the payoff revelation we won't have to deal with him anymore.

In fairness, the show as a whole is pretty trope-y.

• Love 3

Orgeta wakes up in the hospital after massive surgery and limb replacement, then proceeds directly to a MMA cage fight. Mmmm. Okay.
The scene of Kovacs bringing Orgeta to the hospital was interesting. With bodies being replaceable, there is no urgency to rush dying people into surgery? Of course that does not take into account the fact that the non-wealthy cannot afford age appropriate, healthy bodies. 

On 3/2/2018 at 8:14 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

In fairness, the show as a whole is pretty trope-y.

Agreed. But I am okay with that - to a point. I enjoy this genre and expect most of the trappings : voice-over narration, corruption, violence, sex, hard boiled bleakness, etc.  Some of it is over the top - or misses the mark - but I'm not expecting Shakespeare.

I am keeping an eye on Bancroft's lady lawyer. She has been showing up a lot.

• Love 1
On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 5:30 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

Orgeta wakes up in the hospital after massive surgery and limb replacement, then proceeds directly to a MMA cage fight. Mmmm. Okay.
The scene of Kovacs bringing Orgeta to the hospital was interesting. With bodies being replaceable, there is no urgency to rush dying people into surgery? Of course that does not take into account the fact that the non-wealthy cannot afford age appropriate, healthy bodies. 

I think it had to do with the fact that Kovacs knew she would not want to be re-sleeved, so he was trying to save her body.  He had virtually unlimited funds from Bankcroft to pay for whatever procedure was necessary of course.

(edited)
On 2/6/2018 at 2:52 AM, thuganomics85 said:

The actual Reileen has arrived and is apparently a badass ninja, who is still wearing her Dichen Lachman skin

I'm doing a re-watch of the series and I had COMPLETELY forgotten that this was how Reileen re-entered the "current" timeline. Yes -- what a total badass ninja moment!  And then that led (via flashback) to what is possibly my favorite scene in all of season 1 . . . [whoops, I posted something about the NEXT episode.  Binge-watching a show that has lots of flash-backs in it really messes with your sense of the timeline.]

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 1