Type keyword(s) to search

Warrior - General Discussion

Meredith Quill
  • Start Topic

10 hours ago, juno said:

Can't believe it. Great News! Thought it was DOA.

I assumed the show was de facto cancelled once they announced that Cinemax was no longer going to create original content due to the HBO Max launch, so I'm really excited that we're getting a S3!

3 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I assumed the show was de facto cancelled once they announced that Cinemax was no longer going to create original content due to the HBO Max launch, so I'm really excited that we're getting a S3!

Agreed, I thought it was done too.

Here's another article about the renewal.  I am curious if the #StopAsianHate movement is going to affect any of the writing for Season 3.  The show definitely depicts some racist characters, and although the Chinese characters are portrayed as the heroes in this show and that seems to be a fairly accurate depiction of sentiment at the time, it still doesn't make hearing the racist rants any easier.

https://ew.com/tv/warrior-renewed-season-3-hbo-max/

It basically was cancelled, to the point where the sets were being taken down. What happened was that it was a big success in its second life on HBO Max, which led to a hint in Feb that they could make more if HBO Max wanted, which Casey Bloys (new HBO Max chief content officer) didn’t even know was a possibility at that point:

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2021/04/warrior-season-3-hbo-max 

and it also depended on cast and crew caring enough to move their schedules around since they weren’t then locked into making a season 3.

Edited by arc

I'm midway through Episode 5 and am enjoying the season so far.  Young Jun has been arrested and is in some prison about to be deported.  There he discovers that Old Jun is in the same prison.  Ah Sahm is trying to get Mai Ling to cash in a favour to get Young Jun released.

Young Jun is by far my least favourite character.  I can't stand him.  He's arrogant to the extreme.  Ah Sahm should be the leader of the Hop Wei.

Well, just finished Season 3 and now I have to hope for a Season 4.  Hate the waiting game for renewal news.  Great series and it needs  to continue.  It just amazes me how some of the best shows don't get the audience and recognition they deserve!  I have adored Hoon Lee since BANSHEE and I want to know what happens to Chao.  So many delicious cliffhangers that need to be resolved.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Really hoping for an S4.   The cliffhangers sucked (only because I have to wait for resolution). 

I will say I could have done without the Ah Sahm/Yan Mi pairing as I didn't feel it added anything.  There was enough tension between the various principles that a love story wasn't necessary.

Though I think Mayor Buckley doesn't deserve nice things, I did feel a teeny bit sorry for him knowing he was getting played.  Then I remember what he did to Penelope Blake and any sympathy dies.

Of all the dynamics on this show, one of my favorites is between Ah Toy and Ah Sahm.  I like how they've grown into friends and genuinely seem to care about the others well being.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Impish Dragon said:

Really hoping for an S4.   The cliffhangers sucked (only because I have to wait for resolution). 

I will say I could have done without the Ah Sahm/Yan Mi pairing as I didn't feel it added anything.  There was enough tension between the various principles that a love story wasn't necessary.

Though I think Mayor Buckley doesn't deserve nice things, I did feel a teeny bit sorry for him knowing he was getting played.  Then I remember what he did to Penelope Blake and any sympathy dies.

Of all the dynamics on this show, one of my favorites is between Ah Toy and Ah Sahm.  I like how they've grown into friends and genuinely seem to care about the others well being.

I too am hoping there is a Season 4.  Would be interesting to see what happens to the characters.  Ah Sahm is with Mai Ling, who doesn't have much of a tong to lead anymore.  Li Yong seems to have formed his own tong.  And the Fung Hai are back.

I really can't stand Young Jun so I was hoping for some kind of finality for him.  

I also don't understand why the show wasted so much time on Buckley.  Zero desire to see Buckley happy or getting it on with that lady.  It was obvious from the start that she was a con woman.  He deserves everything that is coming to him.

I like Ah Toy and I'd like to see her become an open ally to Ah Sahm and Mai Ling.  She's lethal with a sword.  I'm annoyed that we didn't find out if Lai lived or died.  I had assumed she died but in the scenes we saw, she was still clinging to life.

On 8/22/2023 at 8:25 PM, ShannaB said:

I have adored Hoon Lee since BANSHEE and I want to know what happens to Chao.  

I was not familiar with this actor, but, I'm now a fan! He's so handsome, a great actor, and I absolutely adore his voice. 

On 10/3/2023 at 1:47 AM, rollacoaster said:

I was not familiar with this actor, but, I'm now a fan! He's so handsome, a great actor, and I absolutely adore his voice. 

If you liked Hoon Lee in WARRIOR then please watch BANSHEE.  He absolutely shines....for all 4 Seasons!  The series is bloody and violent but HEY! you watched WARRIOR so.......  I think you can Watch BANSHEE on Amazon.

• Like 2
(edited)

I think they did a disservice promoting the show as "Warrior." It is far more than that, and belongs in a category with Peaky Blinders, Hell on Wheels and Boardwalk Empire as a snapshot of history from a (varyingly accurate) specific perspective. The title and graphics make the show seem like a kung fu fighting show when it is so much more. I suspect it would have found a bigger audience with better promotion.

That said, I am halfway through season 3 (after stumbling upon this show as I browsed). Yung Jun and Mai Lin have just been arrested. This really brings to life the fact that he ducks never failed to screw the Chinese, and rich ducks screwed poor ducks. Did your average, ethical person ever have a chance?

Edited by Ottis