Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E04: That’s My Story

bilgistic

Darius helps Juliette unlock a dark truth about her past. Daphne and Jake bond over each other’s dislike of dating parents. Scarlett volunteers at an equine therapy ranch. Gunnar, Will, and Avery struggle to find their sound.

I'm not a fan of a sexual abuse storyline direction for this show for Juliette.  It makes sense considering her history, but I just don't want this for her or for Avery.  And why did it have to be so elaborate and throwing her Mom under the bus completely?  She wasn't a good Mom, but Juliette loved her.  Why not make it organic, just one of her Mom's many boyfriends in the trailer instead of selling her to some "Uncle" creep thing.  It's horrible no matter what, but I just don't want this story.  And I don't want this cult being a good thing, you know revealing truths, helping.  

Also, why does Avery never get his own story? He either supports Juliette or is part of this group, but not the standout.  Will has his own story of body image.   Also, I want more for Daphne than just hanging out with her future stepbrother.  

• Love 3

This was my favorite episode in a long, long time.  I enjoyed the three guys forming their "boyband" (TM Jessie), Deacon's interactions with everyone-especially as he showed his connections to the country music industry and providing guidance for Avery, Gunner, and Will.  I even enjoyed Scarlette's story line in that she wasn't weeping and wailing and seemed to actually find a bit of herself (and, HORSES!  Has to be a good episode when horses are in it!).  

The kids were all okay.  I'm glad that Avery identified the cult as a cult.

The biggest non-shocking story line EVER was that Juliette had been raped as a child.  My heart goes to everyone who has gone through this trauma in real life, but as far as the character of Juliette goes, I never really ever doubted that her mother didn't exploit her when she was young.  

Overall, a nice mix of people getting along, some humor, some fun music, and some drama.  I hope the rest of the season builds upon this episode.

• Love 8

The best thing about this episode is the Avery, Will, Gunnar trio. Second best is Deacon with or without Jessie. 

Somebody needs to do a new show with Deacon and the trio. No Maddie or Daphne please.

Let the trio go on the road with Deacon headlining. Men and music.

• Love 1

I love the Avery/Will/Gunnar trio so much. They're just so much fun together, and their scenes have great energy, even when they're fighting. It also means more good music! It was also fun to see them rocking the boy band, and their friends coming to watch them. Not that Avery's girlfriend/baby mama could be bothered.

I love horses, so I will just be focusing on cute horses being cute and majestic, and not on Scarlet and her romance with some new random guy. Although, maybe this will inspire Scarlet to spend more time working on music, instead of angsting and dealing with romances. Can we PLEASE have a break from Scarlet romances. 

Juliet's cult could not be more obviously a cult if they were passing out cups of Kool Aid on the way in. On the one hand, Juliette being raped as a child does fit her patterns, and makes sense for what we know about her background, but on the other hand, it sucks that we have to give her this backstory. Its just so gross and messed up, and I dont know how the show will handle it. Do Juliet and Avery need more angst? There is also a tiny part of me that suspects that this could be a false repressed memory that the cult is bringing on to make Juliete more dependent on them. Probably not, but I keep waiting for the other shoe to officially drop with these creeps. 

Not a bad episode. 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

The biggest non-shocking story line EVER was that Juliette had been raped as a child.  My heart goes to everyone who has gone through this trauma in real life, but as far as the character of Juliette goes, I never really ever doubted that her mother didn't exploit her when she was young.  

I thought it was just me. I swear she alluded to being sexually involved with her mom's 'friends' back in season 2 or 3 when she and Avery had their first breakup and she was trying to explain why she was a hot mess. We been knew this. This storyline is such a waste of Hayden's talent. They've made the relationship between her and Avery so stale... *yawn*. Atleast Jessie and Deacon are getting busy next episode.

• Love 1

Do the writers know this is the last season? I don't see stories going towards their conclusion, I see a lot of rambling around & I'm bored. We spend as much time with the cult as we do with the music.

• Love 6

Well, we got more music this time? That was good. Rhiannon Giddons was just fabulous, happy to see her back. I could listen to her all day.

Don't care about the cult or the horses. Hayden has been wasted this season.

Daphne and Jake bonding is cute. I've got money on him being abused by evil dad.

I wanted more Avery, Will, and Gunnar scenes, but a boy band? Um, no. These guys are too talented to sing BSB covers. Hi Glenn, nice to see you. I miss Bucky. 

WAG is the bomb. They could be a show alone. 

Glad to see church lady back and singing with Deacon, that was great.

Juliet - okay when they were all standing around her that was "Rosemary's Baby" creepy. This is a VERY deep thing to be exploring in the final season. I wish this show had a couple more seasons.

I like Daphne's developing love triangle way more than anything her sister has going on. 

• Love 4

Deacon is not Daphne’s dad.  That irritated me that she didn’t correct Jake.

Although saying “my real dad isn’t a rageaholic, he’s in prison” probably wouldn’t have helped.  But still.

• Love 5

Finally caught up with my Nashville episodes. I do like this season and I am sorry it is ending. I love the boy band of Avery, Gunner and Will but for goodness sakes, they have been doing this long enough to not bicker over petty crap. Just let them be a good , fun, act.

I like Daphnes story. A young girl in turmoil. The loss of her mother is not forgotten.

I like Juliette's story. It is so possible, scary,etc. The charisma of Darius is undeniable. I can't decide if he is a good guy or bad guy yet, and I like that.

I don't mind Scarletts story. I was going to volunteer at a riding therapy academy this fall but hurt my back. Should be able to join them in April . The horses are amazing . Many rescues and retired polo ponies who are so grateful to be able to just WALK around the ring. 

So far, good episodes. Good stories. 

I really don't mind Daphne referring to Deacon as her dad.  And I certainly don't mind her not freaking when somebody else does.   And quite frankly I wouldn't mind in six months if she totally reversed herself on the "dad" position.   My brother and my dad (his step-dad) went through phases where things were easier and harder.  I think Daphne has the right to consider both men her father.  

I always assumed Juliette was sexually abused.  I mean, I thought, they'd hinted at that before?    So I wasn't shocked.  But with a cult like that I also wouldn't be shocked to learn that they planted things for recovered memory.   

I hate that they are going to make Juliette question every relationship in her life because for anything you might ever say about Avery, he is not abusive.  

But still... note Juliette could be arsed to show up for Hallie (is that her name?) but not for either of Avery's deals.   Because Juliette does not show up for Avery.

And I know, I shouldn't be bagging on a woman going through what she's going through but I'm going to need her at some point before the series is over, just one time to pick Avery over literally anything else... like... I could go get a manicure or I could support Avery.... um... the manicure can wait until tomorrow... that would be the most Avery support we've seen from her since... I don't even remember when.  

Until then?  Free Avery.   

I liked Scarlett not weeping, I guess.  But I just really don't need Scarlett in my life.   

• Love 4
8 hours ago, bybrandy said:

Because Juliette does not show up for Avery.

That's one of the things that bothers me about this sexual abuse/cult story: less focus on Avery and more focus on Juliette, her problems, and Avery as support and/or being against cult/against Juliette.  It's tired, and if they had more seasons (even just one more), I could deal with the ensuing pain/angst better.  But., there's no time for much after this story as it has to develop, and Juliette will have to heal for real.  I assume she and Avery will kind of sort of break up and then reunited in back half.  But, so much time will be spent on Juliette's problems and now if Avery is not 100% supportive due to his lack of trust in Darius, he'll look like the bad guy for not supporting Juliette when he has supported her all along.  I feel like the truth/basis for Juliette's pain is revealed and it will look like Avery is not interested, maybe because he's finally had it?  I don't know, all I know is a lot of show real estate will be spent on this story and there isn't time for much else beyond for Avery/Juliette.  

I've said this in another post, but it feels like the showrunners don't realize how repetitive and thus, exhausting this Juliette stuff is.  Of course, this acts as final reveal for the basis of Juliette's behavior, but I hate retconning, especially with newer showrunners.  Sexual abuse history is believable, but it feels like a cookie cutter explanation for all that is Juliette.  

Edited by sunflower
10 hours ago, bybrandy said:

But still... note Juliette could be arsed to show up for Hallie (is that her name?) but not for either of Avery's deals.   Because Juliette does not show up for Avery.

That bothered me a lot. Avery is beyond supportive of and patient with Juliette and she never, ever goes to one of his shows. Ever.

I don't trust the cult guy at all. And the thing is-TV shows act like just remembering a trauma from childhood makes all your problems go away but it doesn't. Most people do remember the bad things that happened to them as children and it doesn't make them healed. A good therapist would help Juliette see that she has a good supportive partner in Avery and she already has many of the things she needs to get over her bad childhood. This is not going to end well for her.

I like the horse therapy idea but I don't get why Scarlett is so damaged and have zero idea what the end game for her is. She has a beautiful voice and she and Gunnar sing great together. The show is now taking her away from music which is a big mistake in my opinion. I did think the guys singing together was fun, and I always enjoy hearing Hallie's lovely voice. 

• Love 2