Type keyword(s) to search

Moffat, Gatiss, et al: A Case of Identity

The creative team behind Sherlock are always busy: Here's a place to record their extra-Sherlock diversions.

(Honestly, don't they know we're WAITING?)

Mark Gatiss is appearing in episode six of this season of "Game of Thrones". There is a trailer: 

And a couple of articles:

On zap2it-- 'Game of Thrones' Season 4: First look at 'Sherlock's' Mark Gatiss

On BBC America's website-- WATCH: ‘Sherlock’s Mark Gatiss Makes His ‘Game Of Thrones’ Debut

I guess this is "old" news, but according to an article on the Futon Critic (via PBS press release), Mark Gatiss will be playing Stephen Gardiner in the "Masterpiece" adaptation of Wolf Hall. (I found the book unreadable, but there's no denying it made quite a splash!)

• Love 1

Gatiss' recent poetry dust-up with critics has reassured me that he remains as pompous and thin-skinned as ever, He also emailed one blogger who was dismissive about said poem that there was a typo in the article. Good use of his time, I'm sure.

Gatiss being a dickwad makes it hard for me to enjoy his acting, which in truth has been impeccable.

• Love 3

Yeah, his comments about Molly really rankled me. If he was serious in what he said, it shows he was pretty clueless about Molly as a character and didn't really care about developing her deeper or have a realistic response. If his response was sarcastic, it comes across like a "f*ck you" to the fans who would dare ask about any emotional fallout for Molly. I have been aware of the sexism charges lobbed against Moffat in the past for his writing, but I am not a Doctor Who fan, so this was one of the first times it REALLY struck me about his Sherlock writing.

Edited by ForeverAlone
  • Love 4

Yeah, I think his comments on Molly pretty much confirm the sexism thing.  Based on Moffat's words, treated like garbage but that's okay and she's okay with it.  It's Sherlock's manpain that is vital to that scene.

Reading more of that interview, I think Moffat needs to concentrate less on political analysis than on trying to remember he was actually a good writer at one point.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ForeverAlone said:

I am not a Doctor Who fan, so this was one of the first times it REALLY struck me about his Sherlock writing.

I'm a longtime Doctor Who fan who only casually watches Sherlock, so it astonishes me how the complaints about the two shows are nearly identical.  Everything people have been saying about Moffat's Doctor Who -- massive plot holes, incoherent storylines, deus ex machina left and right, characters that never die and who live in a consequence-free world -- seems to apply here as well.  I thought the "I love you" scene with Molly was powerful and really well done.  Sadly, I'm also not surprised that there was no follow up, and that she apparently just gets over it and moves on like nothing ever happened.  That's SOP for this creative team.  

• Love 2
On 1/16/2017 at 8:08 PM, Winter Rose said:

Interview with Moffat. Not sure it'll make the episode any better or worse for anyone although what he says about Molly... smh.

Sherlock showrunner explains that intense (and conclusive?) finale

I don't usually read anything that creators have to say about their shows because I like to make my own interpretation of what I've seen. I did read this though and damn, son. How hard would it have been to say that we didn't include another scene with Molly and showed her seemingly happy at the end because we would like the viewer to make up their own mind about what happened? I mean there are people that would still be mad about an answer like that but he would not have been dismissing Molly's character like he did. I saw the actress's twitter stating that she did not agree with his answer. Yeah, I don't either.

• Love 1

Well, whatever Moffat had in mind, what we saw on the screen was Sherlock very obviously realizing, as he repeated that "I love you" to Molly that, in fact, he was telling the truth--he DOES love Molly. Not romantic love, but love nonetheless.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, rereader2 said:

Well, whatever Moffat had in mind, what we saw on the screen was Sherlock very obviously realizing, as he repeated that "I love you" to Molly that, in fact, he was telling the truth--he DOES love Molly. Not romantic love, but love nonetheless.

Yep. In my mind there was a conversation with the newly more human Sherlock explaining to Molly why he had to do that and how horrible it was for him. Then she can know that it wasn't just him playing games with her, that he does love her in his own way and she can tell him how it made her feel and then she can move on. (Which I totally think she did) Molly's character deserves better than oh she just had a drink and a shag and then she's all better. I've never paid much attention to what Moffat has to say before and while I'm not sure if I think he hates women, I think for sure that he doesn't understand them. I was looking for a quote I saw last night (can't find it) where he said something like women watch Sherlock because they want to fix him. Yeah, no. I should probably stop looking at his interviews because it is starting to piss me off. This is why I don't usually read stuff from the creators of shows. Oddly the "go read a children's book" from Gatiss doesn't really bother me. I can imagine the kind of shit he's heard from people and he's just fed up. 

• Love 1
20 hours ago, festivus said:

I've never paid much attention to what Moffat has to say before and while I'm not sure if I think he hates women, I think for sure that he doesn't understand them.

I wondered if he's married and if he is, how he manages to stay married.  And, yeah, I don't really care enough to look it up.  He's so completely clueless.

The writers are telling a story. Weak, whiny people like Molly exist in real life, as do people who are real tools. It's legitimate to show them. I don't assume anything writers put in the show necessarily represents their attitudes and actions in their personal lives.

people seem to be reacting to what Moffat said in an interview .... not about interpretation of his opinions based on his characters "as written" (and subjectively interpreted) ... as can be seen, some viewers/shipper believe that Sherlock "really meant it" and were confused by the next scene of them together ... others not so much ...  one of the problems with game-playing writing is that viewers are left grasping at straws as to "what really happened" 

Edited by SusanSunflower
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, jelaine said:

That's... kind of terrifying.  Poor lady.

Sue is awesome.  Here's Moffat talking about her role working on Sherlock at the finale screening last week.

“If we never come back and we never do another panel on the show, which is improbable, there is one thing I would like to say and that is, and it’s not said enough and it sort of goes by unnoticed, is that the boss of Sherlock, the No. 1 person sitting in front of you right now is not me or Mark, it’s the person to whom I’m married. It is absolutely true she is the person who runs all of Sherlock. She’s the person who either kicks us up the arse or restrains us depending on whether we’re being insane or lethargic. It has been her project from the very beginning. She’s the general, the chief executive officer, the absolute ultimate boss of this show. If you love Sherlock, the person you have to thank the most isn’t Benedict, Martin or Mark or me. It’s my wife Sue Vertue.”

Course, since so many people hate the show now, that could be considered passing the blame, but I don't think that's how he meant it :)

Edited by Bethorz
Found quote I was looking for
On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 4:53 PM, Lord Donia said:

Gatiss' recent poetry dust-up with critics has reassured me that he remains as pompous and thin-skinned as ever, He also emailed one blogger who was dismissive about said poem that there was a typo in the article. Good use of his time, I'm sure.

Gatiss being a dickwad makes it hard for me to enjoy his acting, which in truth has been impeccable.

I for real wanted to cry when I first read and heard about Gatiss's comments a couple of years ago about "go read a children's book" if you couldn't understand the plot of Sherlock. No self awareness at all that he or Moffat could be at fault, or were flawed in their storytelling in any way. So, so sad. I liked him up until that point. I still like Mycroft, because I have always loved Mycroft, in any version, even the worst written ones(it's hard at this point to imagine worse written versions, but they are out there-though the ones I am referring to, most people here probably haven't seen). Mycroft is the best character in this universe-but that may be because both in canon, and in most versions, he remains the most mysterious. It's not because he's only in a few stories-it's just the nature of the character. Too bad Gatiss had to open his mouth once too often and kinda ruin his version for me. I guess Rhys Ifans gets the crown as the best Mycroft, for now.

Edited by IWantCandy71