Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: The Lockdown

• Start Topic

As awful as she was, I found Grace strangely enjoyable in this episode. I especially liked the transition from euphoria to rage. ;) I also generally hate Robert and yet I like their interaction in this episode. There was a (non-romantic) chemistry between them that Martin Sheen sadly seems to lack with a lot of the other actors.

I generally like how flawed human gray area all the characters are--no one is sparkling shiny and no one's fully evil for the most part, they're real. If there's something I dislike in them, there's still something else I like. But Robert is just generally unlikable. So I was pleasantly surprised to watch his scenes for once. I think they need to give him something to talk about other than himself or his relationship with Sol (and use both characters in smaller doses).

Being used to the fairly as-accurate-as-reasonably-and-safely-possible babies on Call the Midwife, I found the giant newborn delivered a little funny. It was also only half wet even though it was supposed to have been delivered into the pool.

I liked Frankie getting to help deliver the baby, but I'm kind of sad for Mallory--she was there for the bulk of the labor and then just kind of was shoved out of the way and not really appreciated (which seems to be her lot).

• Love 6

This one was thoroughly a wacky hijincks ensue episode (as is every comedy series that does a birth episode), but I liked it.

Sol pointing out, “I am a 75-year-old man” when Frankie instructed him to carry Grace was such a minor thing, but really tickled me.

The obvious things, such as the three phases of non-drinking Grace, also cracked me the hell up, especially:

“Phase one, irritability, the complete loss of all politeness and social courtesy.”
“How will we tell?”

I recognized the cop right away from the burglary, so as dumb as the monkey lockdown was, I got a laugh out of Grace’s “Oh god, this fucking guy.”  Also, “You didn’t know Bud was adopted?”

I like Mallory stepping up help with the at-home delivery, given her history, but also Frankie ultimately getting to be there.  That is some serious hair on a "newborn," though.

Rober guzzling Harvey Wallbangers by the pitcher made me laugh – and want to have a Harvey Wallbanger for the first time in 20+ years.

I loved the call back to Grace telling pre-surgery Robert he can’t die because she’s not through telling him off, and that hug between them was lovely.  Theirs is probably the most interesting to me other than Grace and Frankie's. 

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I recognized the cop right away from the burglary, so as dumb as the monkey lockdown was, I got a laugh out of Grace’s “Oh god, this fucking guy.” 

And he didn't even actually get fixed up with Mallory, poor guy! 

• Love 2

I haven't hated Robert in a long time but his comment about how Saul can't expect to know things if he goes off alone on cruises was soooooo out of line. He bought the tickets for Saul as a surprise and then changed his mind about going. He has no moral high ground on that issue. 

• Love 12

I recognized the cop right away from the burglary, so as dumb as the monkey lockdown was, I got a laugh out of Grace’s “Oh god, this fucking guy.”

I realized they must have been referencing his appearance in an earlier episode but for the life of me I can't remember which one or what they were talking about. When have we seen this cop before?

This is the second time this season that Grace has referred to Mallory as "the nice one." All things being equal, going back to Season 1 I'm not sure Mallory is a whole lot nicer than Brianna. 

• Love 2
9 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I realized they must have been referencing his appearance in an earlier episode but for the life of me I can't remember which one or what they were talking about. When have we seen this cop before?

Last season, in The Burglary (when - following a break-in, Grace blew the head off the Frankie dummy).

• Love 1

What I took away from this episode is how well Robert and Grace get along and can see why they got married and how connected Saul and Frankie always were and still are.  The guys just have so much more in common with their ex wives than they do with each other.  Especially since they both retired.  Speaking of retired why couldn’t they stay on a consultants?

• Love 3
On 1/28/2018 at 12:27 PM, iMonrey said:

This is the second time this season that Grace has referred to Mallory as "the nice one." All things being equal, going back to Season 1 I'm not sure Mallory is a whole lot nicer than Brianna. 

In the cop's first appearance he asked Grace for the phone number of her daughter. Not the obvious man-eater (Brianna) but the nice one (Mallory). Then when he found out Mallory was married (at the time) he asked for the man-eater's. So, that's what she was referencing.

Although I do think Mallory is nicer than Brianna. She's not particularly nice but Brianna wouldn't give Coyote a place to park his house or drive him around all the time. And she wouldn't stop being snarky for long enough to help deliver a baby.

Spoiler

And Mallory wouldn't try to blame her mother for her own business failure.

• Love 2
(edited)

I've spent the last couple of weeks on and off bingeing this show.  And I just got to this episode.  It more than any one to date had me laughing from start to finish.  Sober Grace was a riot.  Also Coyote and Frankie knowing the names of all the orangutans(and being concerned about which one escaped) just felt .... right.

And as much as I like the older set, I really love how this show does the relationship dynamics between Bud, Coyote, Mallory and Brianna.

Edited by DearEvette
  • Love 4