Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E24: Honor Thy Father

• Start Topic

The NCIS team investigates whether a fire on a U.S. Navy ship that served as a secret detention site for indicted terrorists was accidental or an intentional diversion for an escape. Meanwhile, Gibbs travels to his childhood home following news of his father’s passing.

Season finale!

Was hoping for so much more with Gibbs' Dad, he was such a great character, I exptected to tear up at the funeral, but nothing. I don't watch as religiously as the past, since Ziva, but the show seems to be a shadow of what it was, Gibbs' looks old and the new girl's dark eyebrows are distracting.

Totally called Gibbs giving away the store the minute I saw the kid.

I thought they did a great job considering there wasn't a lot they could do to show Ralph Waite without using old footage and I always hate the retread stuff. I thought the ending with the boat was nice, and I was glad there was no cliffhanger or anything - it was just a nice send off.

I probably would have cried outright if there had been more use of old clips for flashbacks, since I'd be sad about Ralph Waite as well as Papa Gibbs. This episode did make me appreciate, once again, how expressive Mark Harmon's eyes can be. 

• Love 5

Agree that this was an appropriate finale and homage to Ralph Waite. Any other cheesy plot twist or cliff-hanger would not seem right. Kudo's to the writers of NCIS.

• Love 1

Agree that this was an appropriate finale and homage to Ralph Waite. Any other cheesy plot twist or cliff-hanger would not seem right. Kudo's to the writers of NCIS.

Definitely. It was classy and nicely done. Great job you guys! And RIP Jackson Gibbs/Daddy Walton (Ralph Waite).

• Love 2

When you realize that the writers had a completely different script for the season finale written way back in October, they did a fantastic job putting together a very nice script to honor Mr Waite. I read an article in TV Guide that said they discussed how best to honor that lovely man, and everyone said, including Mark Harmon, that putting one of those "In Memory of" at the end of a regular episode wasn't enough. So the writers developed this script. I thought it was a very good show.

• Love 2

I thought it was a great episode as well, except I wanted more flashbacks with Ralph Waite's Jackson Gibbs.

And, I was hoping for an uncredited appearance by John Boy (Richard Thomas), just because.

Loved the last scene, and the tag with the picture of Harmon and Waite.

• Love 3

That picture with MH, RW, and the car was fantastic!! I thought it was a lovely send-off of a lovely man. Yes, I cried.

As for the rest fo the episode, I was actually disappointed that they wrapped up the plot with Alejandro so quickly. It was a pretty good setup for a "Big Bad" arc. I was, however, happy there was no big cliffhanger. I hate cliffhangers. They don't keep me wondering over the summer, nor make me anymore likely to tune in. They just piss me off.

• Love 2

Finally got this watched. Yea on no cliffhangers! I cried. I expected to, but it wasn't as much as I expected. My kids are watching The Waltons now & I think that made it sadder in a way. I liked the building of the boat as an ending quite a lot. RIP Ralph Waite.

(edited)

I thought it was sweet that after all these years rebelling against his father it turned out that Gibbs' boat building was something his father gave him.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 1

This ep was just on TV in Australia and what struck me the most was how much i missed Jackson Gibbs. I think by not seeing that many old clips of RW , he was missed even more. Like Gibbs keep expecting to hear him or see him and he wasn't there anymore. It made it more poignant somehow.

Loved the last scene, and the tag with the picture of Harmon and Waite.

That picture with MH, RW, and the car was fantastic!! I thought it was a lovely send-off of a lovely man. Yes, I cried.

That KILLED me! I had welled up during the funeral - as you all said, Mark Harmon's eyes were so sad. But the end tag with the big smiles- that's when I let out a loud sob.

When the suspect mentioned "Rivera. Alejandro Rivera."  - Tony's eye twitch was fantastic!