Type keyword(s) to search

S12.E02: Fish Are Food, Not Friends

Mentors Anne Burrell and Tyler Florence introduce a game in which the recruits meet some magical and mysterious kitchen gadgets. The recruits become fast friends with the most important tool of all, a knife, to make fajitas while demonstrating their knife skills. Then boot camp transforms into a fish market, and the recruits get up close and personal with the catch of the day as they learn to fillet and prepare fish. The recruits who don't get along with their new friends end up sleeping with the fishes.

I mocked her when I first heard she was a professional balloon artist but like last weeks Anne and Tyler that fish was amazing. She is annoying in the kitchen but I hope after she is eliminated they still have her do balloon art for all the episodes.

I hate Sports guy so much!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Brookside said:

Someone please push Carla into the deep fat fryer.  If she makes it through this round, I'm out.

?? I don't think there's a Carla. 

I really liked Kevin, I'm sorry to see him go. 

Edited by Superclam
  • Love 1

That was Season 4. You must be watching the repeats they've been showing. I caught a few yesterday. 

For this Season, I kind of like Lily even if she's wacky. I don't like sports guy, Asaf or Sharon. I can skip the twins. 

• Love 3

Did I hear Anne tell one of the guys the fish filet fell off the fish just like clothes fall off women for him? WTF, Anne, WTF. 

I missed the first episode, but so far I'm not hating any of these people this year. No one seems to ridiculous to even function. Sometimes you have to wonder how they even fill a glass with water. I even like the "older wacky" woman they always feel the need to have. She was cute with the fish and did seem to have the ability to learn. 

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Fostersmom said:

Did I hear Anne tell one of the guys the fish filet fell off the fish just like clothes fall off women for him? WTF, Anne, WTF. 

I missed the first episode, but so far I'm not hating any of these people this year. No one seems to ridiculous to even function. Sometimes you have to wonder how they even fill a glass with water. I even like the "older wacky" woman they always feel the need to have. She was cute with the fish and did seem to have the ability to learn. 

Yeah, I heard that comment and kind of rolled my eyes at that.

Lily is kind of wacky, but she did a good job with her fish.  There are a couple that I think have potential.  The twin thing is going to be annoying, though.

• Love 2

Like so many reality competition shows, there are some genuine good moments when the show is young.  Then the producers mess with the formula to try to recreate the funny or interesting parts, and the manipulation becomes evident.  The contestants aren't authentic, they're playing roles, each had a part to play, and aren't supposed to step out if their lanes.

Hunky guy is only going to be seen as hunky guy. Woman with crush an Tyler (isn't there at least one female contestant who has a crush on whichever guy is coaching, every season?) Has to flirt and swoon constantly, that's the part she's playing. Princess has to be a princess, mother has to reference cooking for her kids, guy whose wife left him has to talk about that.  Everything relates back to the one-dimensional role they've been assigned, to that point where they're not even real people any more.

Worst of all are the twins. They can't just be "identical twins whose own mother can't tell them apart.". They also have to be twins obsessed with boy scouts, and reference everything they do in terms of merit badges.  Do they have jobs, wives, girlfriends, hobbies?  Nobody cares, because they are playing the role of "twin boy scouts", so nothing else about them matters.  Seriously, no 25 year old man is still talking about the merit badges he earned, unless he's doing it ironically.

• Love 7

On a positive note, thus far at least they seem to have toned back the over-the-top editing. The contestants are characatures and the studio has silly stuff like fish tossing for no reason. But at least there’s not a constant stream of splash screens and theme music and After Effects experiments going on.

I don’t legitimately know if overcooking your fish is worse than measuring the wrong amount of cream, but I was in complete agreement that the tie goes to whichever one has a twin.

Edited by Amarsir
  • Love 1

An example of how careless the show can be came when Anne went around telling her team not to hold the knife with the index finger on top of the knife.  She got some good visuals by drawing red on the offending index fingers.  However, on the second challenge, both she and Tyler were using the index finger on top technique to filet the fish.  I understand there's a reason but to make a big show about this technique only to simply forget about ten minutes later is worthy of "The Room" (I definitely have breast cancer).

• Love 1

Ugh...I hated the second half of this episode.  I love living fish, a lot of them are beautiful, but dead fish just gross me out.  Yuck.

I don't even remember half these people from last week.  And more evidence I wasn't paying much attention last week...I just noticed "Princess" Shatima is listed as being from "Hampton Roads, VA"?  Huh?  Lily is from Anaheim, CA, the twins are from Chicago, and Kevin is from Charlotte, NC, which are all actually cities, but Hampton Roads is a body of water and the surrounding region (the land part is also known as Tidewater), which consists of 7 counties and 9 cities (plus a bunch of towns) in SE Virginia and NE North Carolina...does she not actually know where she is from?  Is she ashamed to admit it?  Is she hiding from someone?  Maybe witness protection?  Does she know she's being so ridiculous that she wants there to be no chance of anyone tracking down her family?  I mean, technically, I live in Hampton Roads, too, but I would never tell people that, because no one has any clue where it is.

(jumping off soapbox)

• Love 1