Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E13: O ka mea ua hala, ua hala iā (What is Gone is Gone)

• Start Topic

Chi kills it.  I’ve loved him since Boston Public, and he’s so handsome.

oh yeah, Steve.  You’re so non-competitive that Tani has you’re number aft just a few months. @@

I wish they’d shown a scene where they tell the father that Tracy DID kill herself.

• Love 4

Steve and Tani were adorable in the beginning of the episode. I like that they can have such good banter without the obligatory unresolved sexual tension that one would usually find in these scenes.

Danny was there I guess. Did he say or do anything this episode? I'm pretty sure Duke had more lines.

Grover brings it and this is a rare 5-0 consequences episode! We find out that when Grover screws up he takes it to heart enough that he will drink heavily, lie to his wife, get mean with her over stuff she didn't even do and will go so far as to almost kill himself if not for his son breaking a bowl of cereal. Who would have thought that at this point the show would go back to that time Grover kinda-sorta messed up?

I know this is the Hollywood version but how long do ATMs hold their camera footage for? It seems unreasonable that they could pull that footage weeks to months later to prove that the guy was innocent.

I enjoyed the moment where the HPD negotiator was giving Steve shit about how Grover had just surrendered his power and Steve was very calm in explaining how in that case he had snipers standing by.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I know this is the Hollywood version but how long do ATMs hold their camera footage for? It seems unreasonable that they could pull that footage weeks to months later to prove that the guy was innocent.

I believe it had only been a week. However, unless that was an extremely busy ATM, the camera only works when someone is using it---it would not have all those shots (without a atm user in the photo, btw)! Wasn't there even "movie" footage of the guy leaving the building?? 

• Love 3
24 minutes ago, TeapotDiva said:

Did I hear this correctly ~ did Steve actually refer to Tani and Junior as "the kids" when asking if they had reported in from their investigation?!

I was just going to say this exactly! You did - he did....Hahaha!

• Love 3

this was the confusing part to me, I don't use ATMs so I don't know their video capabilities. However, the footage showed him leaving the door, and then getting into a car. Wouldn't the car have been blocking the view of the door in that case? I don't think those cameras have any kind of panning (side to side) capability, I think they are fixed at one focal depth? But, if that is the only "suspension of belief" required for a 5-0 episode, it is considerably fewer than normal. Is that pizza place real? Just wondering if they did yet another product plug/product placement. And, we never got to see what it looked like but I have been craving pizza ever since. One last observation, I don't think Jerry was in this episode? Danny's screen time was minimal. so he's bound to be prominent next week.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, GustheCat said:

this was the confusing part to me, I don't use ATMs so I don't know their video capabilities. However, the footage showed him leaving the door, and then getting into a car. Wouldn't the car have been blocking the view of the door in that case? I don't think those cameras have any kind of panning (side to side) capability, I think they are fixed at one focal depth? But, if that is the only "suspension of belief" required for a 5-0 episode, it is considerably fewer than normal. Is that pizza place real? Just wondering if they did yet another product plug/product placement. And, we never got to see what it looked like but I have been craving pizza ever since. One last observation, I don't think Jerry was in this episode? Danny's screen time was minimal. so he's bound to be prominent next week.

Yes, JJ Dolan's (the pizza place... it's apparently an Irish pub/pizza place) is real. And I think it's very popular in Honolulu. Peter Lenkov Tweeted this  on January 9th, saying it would be in the episode this week. Characters have been seen eating there in other episodes (among others, Carol Burnett's & Larry Manetti's recurring characters) & I think other characters--Danny & Gracie, I'm thinking at the end of the ep where Gracie's Aloha Girls troop, with Danny & Steve as chaperones, gets held hostage during a camping trip by a jewel thief who can't find his loot--have had pizza delivered to them from there in other episodes (when Danny & Gracie are finishing their camping trip in a tent in their house so, hopefully, nothing goes wrong). Anyway... here's the website for JJ Dolan's.

• Love 1

Yes, JJ Dolan's (the pizza place... it's apparently an Irish pub/pizza place) is real.

Thanks for the information on the pizza place. I'm glad that they plug Hawaiian businesses on the show! I remember reading about sales from Kona Brewing Company increasing dramatically after Steve was shown drinking a Longboard (which are quite good), and don't forget the cocoa puff pastries. I imagine there was a run on the cocoa puffs when they announced the (fake) incoming ballistic missile attack earlier today in Hawaii.

• Love 1
On 1/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, roamyn said:

Chi kills it.  I’ve loved him since Boston Public, and he’s so handsome.

Human Target was his best role imo. 

On 1/12/2018 at 9:08 PM, roamyn said:

oh yeah, Steve.  You’re so non-competitive that Tani has you’re number aft just a few months. @@

I knew people like that. It's exhausting. I don't need people like that in my life. 

OF COURSE Steve wouldn't let the actual person who is trained for exactly these situations to do his actual job. Between this and last week, he's coming off as a warlord. 

I don't get his trend of Five 0 being the best at everything and no one else can do anything. Why not just have the crisis guy work with Lou? And of course the guy whose actual job it is to deal with these situations is comes off as the "bad guy" for discussing how these situations should be handled and of course he's proven wrong because if you're not with Five 0 you're against them. 

Are cops allowed to pull people over for speeding or do they have to radio Steve for special permission? 

Edited by ganesh
  • Love 5
On 1/13/2018 at 0:27 AM, dwmarch said:

?

It is also not a syndicated replay of Law & Order, I would think the need to reuse the video tape, or more precisely  purge the memory now is a concept from history.

• Love 1

One would think verifying/refuting a fairly simple alibi as "I wasn't there when she was killed" would be easy to do. Only Five 0 can though. 

This wasn't actually so bad until the father in law came into the picture and started with all the over the top scenery chewing. There's no way law enforcement would let him be there, especially since he came in with a gun. He would have been detained until the situation was over. 

They could have just done a total Lou flashback episode and it probably would have been more interesting. Although in the larger context, you've got a guy whose attempted suicide and who also kidnapped and guy and hld him hostage in a garage basically running the criminal task force. That's kind of troubling. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ganesh said:

One would think verifying/refuting a fairly simple alibi as "I wasn't there when she was killed" would be easy to do. Only Five 0 can though. 

This wasn't actually so bad until the father in law came into the picture and started with all the over the top scenery chewing. There's no way law enforcement would let him be there, especially since he came in with a gun. He would have been detained until the situation was over. 

They could have just done a total Lou flashback episode and it probably would have been more interesting. Although in the larger context, you've got a guy whose attempted suicide and who also kidnapped and guy and hld him hostage in a garage basically running the criminal task force. That's kind of troubling. 

He didn’t come w/a gun.  He grabbed a gun from one of the police at the end.  

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, roamyn said:

He didn’t come w/a gun.  He grabbed a gun from one of the police at the end.  

No, when he first showed up he pulled a gun and Steve said, where did you get that? It's mine. I have a concealed carry permit. 

Not anymore, Steve replied. 

I thought Lou was talking to Steve in code when he was ordering the pizza because that's a felony otherwise. 

• Love 5
14 minutes ago, ganesh said:

No, when he first showed up he pulled a gun and Steve said, where did you get that? It's mine. I have a concealed carry permit. 

Not anymore, Steve replied. 

I thought Lou was talking to Steve in code when he was ordering the pizza because that's a felony otherwise. 

Ok, that must’ve been the 5 min in the middle I missed taking the dog potty.  Thanks for updating me.

• Love 1

That was my point about Five 0 taking over a situation where they had no expertise. The fact he was there after pulling the gun was ridiculous. All they had to do was take him into custody, but he gets the drop on HPD and takes their gun? Come on.

• Love 2

I bought a matching 6 pack of Longboard beer after that episode, and posted the picture on a H50 forum. I didn't have a nice tropical ocean view in my picture though, or Steve's 6 pack abs. But it went down easily.

I actually thought Lou was sending Steve a code in the pizza order. I thought Lou hit it out of the ball park. His talk with Will at the beginning was cute. Also liked that when he found Brad Woodward in the crashed Chrysler 300C, he had Will stay in the car and call Uncle Steve. Should have called 911, but at-least Will didn't show up by the car. And a good throw away line was Duke telling Steve that an officer took Will home. These type of one liners aren't used enough in these shows to show continuity. I did think part way through the incident that when Brad told Lou he told Tracy to just kill herself and he said he messed up that maybe he did help her. And I though with Lou's facial expressions at times he believed he did do it. When her father John Lefotu, showed up, I thought, oh no dad killed her and he is coming to kill Brad before the truth comes out. Which in my non criminal mind i am thinking, "dummy if no one suspects you, then you should be anywhere but here". But on detective shows they don't think that way. Was nice that Duke was the one that wounded John to stop him from killing Brad and maybe Lou or Steve. I didn't want Duke and his officers to be open mouthed, or yelling stop, and not really acting on the threat. Then Danny or Steve having to shoot him. But John did wound Brad. Would also have liked to have seen John told that his daughter actually killed herself. Wondered why the siren sounded at the hostage/suicide scene and make Brad upset. almost thought it was another HPD car showing up, or one leaving for another call. But maybe someone hit the button by mistake.

Did wonder why Danny wasn't to busy, seems like Spenser Reid lately in Criminal Minds. Danny didn't bicker with Steve at the scene about some of his actions either. Did wonder about the missing Jerry to, but I guess the whole team had the day off, like Lou said at first. Liked Steve and Tani on the water at first. Also the competitiveness and the talk about Danny and Chin Ho. Junior and Tani work well together. I to wondered about the ATM cam angle. maybe they edited out the persons arm who was operating it at the time. They did get to the scene of the suicide and back twice pretty quickly. Thought at first that Steve could have been talking to Jerry at 50HQ and let us think he was there. But my thought of being a day off he must have not been around. Also liked Noelani doing the check and only finding Brad's DNA on Tracy's body.

Lou's flashback to 7 years ago was good. We got to see Renee, she's been missing in Hawaii lately. Seeing the father and child dead after trying to negotiate by phone had to have been traumatic. His drinking, and depression had to be natural. Not sure if Renee thought he was getting over it, or what, but. Maybe she wasn't sure how to help Grover, or he was dealing with it, and he didn't show as much of his problems. But Will dropping the bowl and it snapping Lou out of it was great. Then his Suicide Anonymous meetings that led to him moving to a warmer climate was nice. Not sure how many people can afford to move from Chicago to Hawaii on a policeman's salary, but.... it does fill in a couple holes in the H50 story-line. And the snow was a good effect as he walked off.

Also liked Detective Keegan and his continued talk with Steve. Thought at first Steve was pushing it telling him that it was his scene, and Grover knew what he was doing. But instead of banging heads, he stayed around to suggest things to Steve, and warn about some of Lou's actions. It was a nice change from Steve and "said authority" bumping heads until Steve got his way. One of the best of the season episodes.

Edited by webruce
added thoughts.
  • Love 1
On 1/15/2018 at 3:56 PM, ganesh said:

I just watched this ep again yesterday, through the CBS app. Once they found out the father-in-law had a (legal) gun, with the intent to use it, & that he was stubborn enough to hang around (probably to see his ex-son-in-law kill himself), Steve said he could stay, under Duke's supervision. So he was detained, initially--& I thought they took his gun; maybe they did & he got it back (shrugs). Then, I don't remember for sure what happened--it might've been the hullabaloo when the food arrived (& we never did find out whether or not there was a coded message in what Lou was ordering, because I thought he was overly emphasizing certain parts of the order like the pineapple on the pizza, & the calamari, & whatever, like that was supposed to mean something to Steve)--but the father-in-law managed to break away from Duke & the other HPD cops who were supposed to be watching him, & that's where the suspect, & the father-in-law, got shot.

Lou didn't actually attempt suicide--if he had, he wouldn't be a character on the show now, or he'd be more "damaged" than he is. Just saying. He definitely thought about it more than once, though: when he was pissed off because he thought Renee or somebody changed the combination to his safe because he couldn't get into it (if you ask me, I think he was too drunk to remember how to get into the safe) & then when Renee went to the store on a grocery run; he had the gun in a place where he was about to do it, then he heard a noise, like somebody was trying to break in or something, & he still cared enough to check out what the noise was/where it was coming from. It turned out it was his son, Will, who decided to cut class that day.

After that, Lou started going to some kind of support group. And he never thought about suicide again, that we know of. I think the realization that Will might've found Lou's body--which he probably didn't want to happen--is what snapped him out of thinking about suicide.

The thing that got me about this ep was how, all of a sudden, Steve, Danny, & whoever, could hear what Lou & the guy were talking about through headphones, from in the car. We know Lou wasn't wired for sound to start with; he was out with Will on his day off. And then, when he decided to check on the car because there was an emergency alert out on it, I still didn't see any way he could've gotten wired before he got in the guy's car. And he wasn't wearing his vest either, which might be a way he could be wired for sound. Oh well, I can handwave it, I think.

The thing that got me about this ep was how, all of a sudden, Steve, Danny, & whoever, could hear what Lou & the guy were talking about through headphones, from in the car. We know Lou wasn't wired for sound to start with

I believe there was one scene, it wasn't on very long, where they showed a souped up microphone and dish pointed at the car. I would assume that was a long-range listening device, because as you point out, Grover would not have been wired for sound. Unless they all have implants. If so, that would explain some of Jerry's theories...

15 hours ago, GustheCat said:

I believe there was one scene, it wasn't on very long, where they showed a souped up microphone and dish pointed at the car. I would assume that was a long-range listening device, because as you point out, Grover would not have been wired for sound. Unless they all have implants. If so, that would explain some of Jerry's theories...

I'll have to try & watch the ep again before it's not 1 of the 5 free that are available at a time (usually the last 5 eps that aired), since I haven't subscribed to the CBS All Access thing yet, & see if I can catch where they show the mic & satellite (or whatever) dish pointed at the guy's car. Apparently it was a "blink & you miss it" thing, & I must've blinked or looked away long enough, for some reason, to miss it.

I'm pretty sure they're all wired for sound at least when they're wearing their vests, because they're always talking to each other--giving orders, instructions, etc.--when they're wearing them (so I always thought the coms stuff they use to talk to each other was, like, built into the vests).

I'm laughing about the implants & Jerry's theories. He can be a bit (or more than a bit) out there, but I think he means well & has a good heart, ultimately. And he did get HPD over to rescue the team when Michelle Shioma & her goons held the team hostage on the other island last season (which resulted in Jerry's getting the Five-0 badge he coveted).