Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

18 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

I don't know why they didn't think they could get a Flash show following Smallville a show about a boy with all the super powers.  Was the CW saying they were all superheroed out after Smallville? Flash is more well known than Green Arrow. With how popular the Flash is I don't think they ever needed Arrow as starting point. 

Yup, the thinking industry-wide after Smallville ended was they DIDN'T KNOW if superpowered superheroes could thrive on TV. But they WANTED superheroes on TV because Marvel was already doing insanely well with movies [Arrow was put to pilot before Avengers opened, but it only aired on tv AFTER Avengers took control of the entire zeitgeist]. So the solution DC/WB/CW/Berlanti found was to put the least superhero-ey superhero show on TV ever, hence Arrow.

Which at the time also gelled with the entire ethos of Christopher Nolan treating Batman as the least superhero-ey superhero ever. That's what DC/WB knew worked well for them -- not using the word "superhero", not calling the character by a a cheesy superhero nickname [the word "Batman" is almost avoided in Nolan's Bat trilogy], gritty atmosphere, human criminals, etc.

Once Arrow S1 did well -- and Avengers became the staple in superhero tone -- they figured they could start introducing the more ~traditional/cheesy superhero elements in S2 -- hence Barry in 208-209, arriving with *an actual complete tonal shift* thanks to Geoff Johns -- to see if audiences were ready for it. And they were, because Avengers.

• Love 3

Iron Man, Thor and Captain America were making money well before Arrow. 2 out of those 3 were super. So they already know that superheroes were becoming main stream. Smallville ran for 10 years, what about that didn't convince them? 

Remember this May interview with GB?...

TV Producer of the Year Greg Berlanti: "I Still Fight About Everything"
By Lacey Rose 6:15am PT | May 12, 2016
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/flash-arrow-producer-greg-berlanti-892417

The DC Cinematic Universe has been criticized for its excessive darkness. You have The Flash, which has often been very bright; Legends of Tomorrow, which is often downright goofy; and Arrow, which is dark but still has a fair amount of humor. How important is "fun" to your vision of what a comic book adaptation should be?

If you're going to do something like The Flash, part of what made Barry Allen so great was that he was this guy in the middle of all these superheroes who couldn't believe that he was there, and he loved it. It was the first comic book character who made me cry. He died in Crisis on Infinite Earths saving everybody, and he was the last one anyone expected to save everyone, so inherent in this character was this heartbroken sadness and sacrifice, but at the same time this joy. That duality is something I've really latched on to in a lot of what I've done. This is the only Flash I'd know how to do.

Edited by tv echo
21 minutes ago, Sakura12 said:

Iron Man, Thor and Captain America were making money well before Arrow. 2 out of those 3 were super. So they already know that superheroes were becoming main stream. Smallville ran for 10 years, what about that didn't convince them? 

It's less about money, and more about zeitgeist. It's about the pop culture shift Avengers caused. Even if the previous movies did super well, Avengers was the one that told Hollywood this was the new reality. The build up had started already, but Avengers legit made THE ENTIRE POP CULTURE shift into "we want MORE superheroes" -- and this is the point. It's not that people suddenly started liking superheroes. It's that the demand for more more MORE OF THEM* reached a turning point with Avengers.

And everything after that movie shifted in Hollywood -- every studio going into mammoth franchises [which are all superhero OR superhero-adjacent] , and the turning point for the two traditional superhero comic houses becoming the most sought after for IP adaptation for TV. WB came out with Arrow, Disney/ABC came out with SHIELD as their "tryouts" for TV audiences. Two shows that started out way way WAY more procedural [the TV staple at the time] than superhero, very very conservative in its original concepts, but that shifted once Hollywood realized audiences/pop culture were demanding the whole of superhero tropes. Not only WB and Disney came out with more shows, but those two original shows also became more "super".

* This is why DC/WB are pushing all of the TV shows into introducing more more more superhero IPs they own into live action, because this is the current industry staple -- not that audiences suddenly love superheroes, but that they want more more more more superheroes! MORE!

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 8

For Winn fans...

Newsies headed to movie theaters with Jeremy Jordan
BY MARC SNETIKER  August 10, 2016
http://www.ew.com/article/2016/08/09/newsies-musical-movie-theaters-original-cast?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Newsies, the Tony Award-winning musical, will make its debut in movie theaters around the world in 2017 thanks a new joint effort by Disney Theatrical Productions and Fathom Events.

EW has learned that Jeremy Jordan, currently one of the stars of The CW’s Supergirl, will (as rumored) reprise his Tony-nominated role as newsboy leader Jack Kelly alongside a handful of his other fellow original cast members who will return to their gigs: Kara Lindsay (as Katherine), Ben Fankhauser (as Davey), and Andrew Keenan-Bolger (as Crutchie).

The cast will also include current stars of the North American tour Steve Blanchard (as Joseph Pulitzer) and Aisha de Haas (as Medda Larkin), as well as dozens of dancing cast members from the Broadway and tour ensembles.

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Hahahah. I knew BS/WB forced Mark Pedowitz to pick up Supergirl. I knew it was a forced situation and that The CW didn't seek it out/really want the show. LOL

Why wouldn't they want it though? It's a perfect fit for their network and it actually did pretty well on CBS. They would have been stupid to let it go, in my opinion.

17 minutes ago, manbearpig said:

Why wouldn't they want it though? It's a perfect fit for their network and it actually did pretty well on CBS. They would have been stupid to let it go, in my opinion.

Pedowitz has said that he didn't want DC to take over CW's programming, since it would make them have four nights of primetime superheroes, which it's now doing. It's not really stupid, since it would be CW trying to diversify its brand along with avoiding taking on another expensive show. 

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, way2interested said:

Pedowitz has said that he didn't want DC to take over CW's programming, since it would make them have four nights of primetime superheroes, which it's now doing. It's not really stupid, since it would be CW trying to diversify its brand along with avoiding taking on another expensive show. 

That is fair enough, but at the same time I can't see the CW finding much shows with the same ratings potential as Supergirl for a while. They're definitely overloaded with superhero shows now, though, and I think in my initial comment I was thinking about Supergirl in isolation.

• Love 2

Refresh my memory.  Didn't rumors about a Green Arrow/spin-off from Smallville start during S10?  

Or do i have it backwards and Arrow was announced in 2012 and rumors spread of it being a Smallville spinoff?  Smallville ended in May 2011 and Arrow Pilot was already casting in February 2012 so they were really close.

With Supergirl, DC/WB now has 5 shows on the CW.  iZombie is based on a DC/Vertigo comic, even if it doesn't fall into the Berlantiverse.

Refresh my memory.  Didn't rumors about a Green Arrow/spin-off from Smallville start during S10?  

I don't remember for sure.  It seems like there might have been? But I don't know if I'm confusing it with the Aquaman show with Justin Hartley that never happened. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I don't remember for sure.  It seems like there might have been? But I don't know if I'm confusing it with the Aquaman show with Justin Hartley that never happened. 

No, that was really, really early. The failed  Aquaman show was before JH appeared on Smallville as Ollie Queen in S6 (IIRC).

It could just be that Arrow talks started  happening very close to the Smallville ending and I confused the two.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Wow 22? They cut back Arrow, SPN and Flash from 23 to 22? How odd.

Doing the math. With these numbers Flash's 100th episode will not be a crossover.  *shakes fist at CW*

• Love 9

I'm on a wait and see before I get angry about Arrow's 100 episode. Even with the actual 100 coming with the crossover, they can still celebrate Arrow with an over 100 episodes the week after. To me, it will only be a problem if Arrow doesn't get an individual celebration in press, commercials, and it's own party. They can really highlight what Arrow has done with launching the superheroes and then as it's own unique show.  Crossing my fingers that they can do service to Arrow.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Lily-n11 said:

Crossovers eating up to much production time?

Or maybe because of the addition of Supergirl too much money. 

And maybe I am alone with this but I for myself just didn't like Supergirl. It wasn't a show that I would have missed if it went away. And they are basically trying to get people to watch the show by brining in Superman. That is on the one hand a smart move, on the other hand it does show that they know who people want to see and it doesn't seem to be Supergirl. Even in S1 they kept refering to him as this persona that we never saw just to remind us of him.

I don't know how well it will do but I don't expect everyone and their mother to tune in for this show on the CW. And they obviously don't expect it either. 

18 minutes ago, tarotx said:

Crossing my fingers that they can do service to Arrow.

I admire your optimism, but since Flash debuted, the network and the EPs have treated Arrow like shit. And that's when they actually remember it exists. That's why Arrow-only fans are preemptively angry. We can certainly hope that Arrow will get the attention it deserves for such a big milestone, but based on the last 2 years, I'm not inclined to believe that will happen.

• Love 3

That offhand comment Guggie made at SDCC that the Winter finale is 100th episode-adjacent makes more and more sense to me. 100th ep being crossover-centric, 101th ep being Arrow's 100th ep celebration because this is a show that has never ever been able to do any kind of math.

• Love 10

The weirdest part about the 22 episode number is -- I just opened both a 2016 and a 2017 calendar, pinned every British Columbia holiday, and counted 8 and 1/2 days of filming for each episode -- Arrow's production dates from Jul 05/16 to Apr 19/17 fit 23 episodes with 4 weeks off at Winter break. They could easily fit 24 eps with a one week Winter break.

Same thing with Flash, same thing with SPN. Their production dates say 23 eps.

I have to admit I love the musical episode of Buffy. Other than that I feel very WtF about this news. Is GB serious about the suggestions?

Also what is up with all these crossovers... I am getting tired of it. 

Edited by Belinea
3 minutes ago, apinknightmare said:

I think a musical episode works if the music is specifically written for the show. If it's a bunch of characters walking around singing Muzak top 40? The possibility for secondhand embarrassment is very high. 

I just saw this...

eta:
I don't mind Victor Garber singing.
Edited by Lily-n11
  • Love 4

Holy shit, I was JUST reading on these boards about a potential musical episode (which is nothing new, it's been going for years), but I remember someone saying specifically that it would be Supergirl/The Flash, without other shows. And now it's confirmed. I'm speechless. Somebody here should fess up to having precognitive powers. Or being Greg Berlanti, I suppose.

• Love 4

The other Flash characters could sing Avril Lavingne's 'Complicated' for Barry. 

Also, I choose to believe that the Arrow character crossing over for a musical episode is going to be Felicity. I just cannot imagine SA wants to sing on any of these shows.

I am more interested in the bi character or the character that is going to come out. However they phrased that. Wonder who it will be? 

Edited by Belinea
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

The weirdest part about the 22 episode number is -- I just opened both a 2016 and a 2017 calendar, pinned every British Columbia holiday, and counted 8 and 1/2 days of filming for each episode -- Arrow's production dates from Jul 05/16 to Apr 19/17 fit 23 episodes with 4 weeks off at Winter break. They could easily fit 24 eps with a one week Winter break.

Same thing with Flash, same thing with SPN. Their production dates say 23 eps.

Maybe the reporters are just confused? Maybe they said full season order and they  assumed 22 episodes since that's pretty standard? 

As for guest appearances on Musical episode, Merlyn is a given since JB is a performer. I'm think CL and possibly EBR as they can both sing pretty well.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Arrow should count itself lucky that it's being left out of the musical crossover, because that sounds like a mess waiting to happen. But it actually could be fun and maybe they'll surprise me. Maybe it won't be the worst musical episode Chyler Leigh will ever be in, though, because that episode of Grey's Anatomy was dire and I love that show.

I don't care how on the nose these suggestions are but Supergirl should definitely use Superman by Stereophonics and Kryptonite by Three Doors Down. Or not!

• Love 3

Not sad at all that Arrow won't be in the musical episode.  Not only does it not fit with the tone of the show but it also sounds incredibly gimmicky to me and not the least bit original since every other show seems to do them now to be "different".

• Love 4
18 minutes ago, Belinea said:

I am more interested in the bi character or the character that is going to come out. However they phrased that. Wonder who it will be? 

Most likely Alex on Supergirl (which I hate because nobody will convince me it's not a retcon and I HATE retcons).

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

Maybe the reporters are just confused? Maybe they said full season order and they  assumed 22 episodes since that's pretty standard?

That's what I thought. I'm gonna keep a look at the official production dates the BC director's guild posts weekly, to see if they change.