Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

I struggle to watch LoT, sometimes it's just way to cheesy.  Frankly I can't stand Savage or The Hawks. I don't care either way about Jax but, they've improved Mick, which is great because I've always enjoyed the actor.  Sadly I've grown less and less interested in Snart's OIT/Cheesy line delivery.  Which is quite sad for me because I like the actor (really enjoyed both Wentworth and Purcell on Prison Break).

Honestly,  I think they need to drop Savage, The Hawks, Firestorm (keep Stein as wise mentor) snd tone down Cold (that's an acting thing).  Right now it's pretty much, I'll watch if the promo looks interesting or I'm bored.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Primal Slayer said:

Will it actually be a development though? Or a one episode one-off before she fades to the background? 

The way nksarmi put it is that it would be development for Thea... Otherwise what's the point?

6 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

The way nksarmi put it is that it would be development for Thea... Otherwise what's the point?

I think Primal Slayer was referring to the idea that Thea might develop on Arrow, right? The whole grabbling with why she's a vigilante thing?

I actually think Thea has some interesting stories that could be told on Arrow - I just don't trust them to do it. After the Sara thing that I was SO looking forward to and then yea - nothing - and the weird resolution to her blood lust, it seems like the writing for Thea is very shallow. I don't read fanfic - but I'd bet money fanfic writers do her far more justice than the show.

7 minutes ago, nksarmi said:

I think Primal Slayer was referring to the idea that Thea might develop on Arrow, right? The whole grabbling with why she's a vigilante thing?

I actually think Thea has some interesting stories that could be told on Arrow - I just don't trust them to do it. After the Sara thing that I was SO looking forward to and then yea - nothing - and the weird resolution to her blood lust, it seems like the writing for Thea is very shallow. I don't read fanfic - but I'd bet money fanfic writers do her far more justice than the show.

I thoroughly believe that the reason why Sara was essentially scrapped as a character was because of BTS issues. If the writers weren't forced, I don't think  they would've killed her. I think they would've further explored her character. 

As for Thea, I agree that she could have interesting stories told (in general, not just on Arrow)... But the writers have to stop BSing around with contrived drama. Hopefully even though EK is a regular now, Curtis won't be on the show that much (like Quentin) which means we can focus more on the core 4 characters.

• Love 5
8 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

And I loved last week's LoT where they were going back to rescue their younger selves from being deleted out of time.  The episodes they have problems with are pretty much the ones that revolve around Vandal Savage and the Hawks plots. 

I think you figured out their major flaw - it's VS and the Hawks. When they are just cruising through time having mission of variable success & failure they are fine, it might be cheesy but it's entertaining. It's when they get into the melodrama and crappily written mythos that they run into problems. I say kill off Vandal & the Hawks in the finale and s2 will be loads better.

• Love 4
(edited)

Lol, I've been watching Ciara's Instagram page (Hawkgirl) since before the series started and there was a period where she got kind of melencholy and then got off line and seemed upset and even when she returned there were less  #Hawklife tags and for awhile I convinced myself it meant she had been told they weren't asking her back, but then everything seemed to go back to normal and even now despite the show having wrapped, she's back to #Hawkstuff and talking about trapeze training...which to me suggests she'll be back.  

If they just kill VS then Kendra no longer has to be a focus of the show and I could live with that as long as they leave Ray alone.  She's jerked him around too much.   

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 2

Oh I hope not.  I don't want Kendra to die, but if they're bund and determined to do this destined Hawk romance, well they can just do it off the show.  The guy that plays Carter is terrible, and I really hope he and Kendra just go off and do their own thing after the season ends. 

• Love 1
(edited)

6 of the Most Complicated Sister Relationships on TV 
Friday, April 29, 2016  Kartik Chainani
http://www.buddytv.com/articles/once-upon-a-time/6-of-the-most-complicated-sist-59732.aspx

3. Laurel and Sara, Arrow
It doesn't get much more complicated than Laurel and Sara Lance. When Arrow first premiered, we learned that Oliver was dating Laurel before his shipwreck, but was having an affair with her sister Sara, who he brought on the ship. Who died. So not only does Laurel find out that her boyfriend is lost at sea, but also that he was cheating on her with her sister, and her sister is now dead. How one can ever process that and come to one specific feeling about it is beyond me. Nonetheless, Laurel got over it and even brought her late sister back to life. Not your average family feud.
4. Kara and Alex, Supergirl
It's easy to feel overshadowed by your sibling when you look at everything they may have accomplished in comparison to yourself. That gets emphasized by insecurities that your parents might be more proud of your sister than you. Add superpowers into that mix, and things get really tricky. From the first episode of Supergirl, we learn that Alex has always felt a little overshadowed by her bullet-stopping, flying little sister, which makes total sense. However, we also see throughout the show that Kara has her own insecurities about not living up to her big sister's expectations. Their disagreements are on much higher stakes than most ordinary siblings, because what they fight about has to do with the safety of the entire planet. At the end of the day though, these two look out for each other above all else.

Edited by tv echo
(edited)

Trouble behind the scenes on the Flash movie?...

The 'Flash' Movie Loses Its Director (Exclusive)
APRIL 29, 2016 3:43pm PT by Borys Kit
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/flash-movie-loses-director-888994

Seth Grahame-Smith is leaving the Warner Bros. project due to “creative differences,” THR has learned.
The project will retain Grahame-Smith’s script, which he wrote working off of a treatment by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, the Lego Movie duo who once were eyeing it as a possible directing vehicle.

The Flash already has a release date — March 16, 2018 — and a star, Ezra Miller, who's portraying the classic hero known as "the fastest man alive." There is plenty of time for the studio to find a director.

Miller’s Flash, aka Barry Allen, was introduced in a cameo appearance in Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice, and is now shooting The Justice League Part One, which will be released in the fall of 2017.

Grahame-Smith still remains involved in other Warners projects. He is a writer on the studio’s Lego Batman Movie and is working on Beetlejuice 2.

Edited by tv echo

I hope if Kendra stays on Legends that it's a different version of Kendra somehow. I feel like they've jerked Ray around too much and it makes them unlikable as a couple. Plus it would be fun to see Ray with someone with a big personality - you know, like Snart.

Plus I still like the idea of Harkgirl - I just want one with a personality closer to the Justice League cartoon. :)

52 minutes ago, dtissagirl said:

There are rumors about James Wan ditching Aquaman as well:
http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/04/29/aquaman-rumor-james-wan-may-be-next-dc-director-to-exit

This shit is hilarious. *popcorn.gif*

Making Aquaman a hit would be hard for anyone. Flash should be easier - except fans have a "hit" show to compare it to and an actor who owns the role. I just hope Snyder gets his head out of his butt and they make Justice League at least a little fun.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Morrigan2575 said:

WTH happened to my post? I made the exact same comment as Dancing Nancy but it's gone.  Anyone have posts go missing? 

Mayba not all posts are showing up? Because I don't see a post by Dancing Nancy. I'm not even sure who it is. This is the last post of yours I see in this thread:

14 hours ago, Morrigan2575 said:

I struggle to watch LoT, sometimes it's just way to cheesy.  Frankly I can't stand Savage or The Hawks. I don't care either way about Jax but, they've improved Mick, which is great because I've always enjoyed the actor.  Sadly I've grown less and less interested in Snart's OIT/Cheesy line delivery.  Which is quite sad for me because I like the actor (really enjoyed both Wentworth and Purcell on Prison Break).

Honestly,  I think they need to drop Savage, The Hawks, Firestorm (keep Stein as wise mentor) snd tone down Cold (that's an acting thing).  Right now it's pretty much, I'll watch if the promo looks interesting or I'm bored.

Are you sure it actually posted? Sometimes it takes a little while and if you change page while it's in the process it doesn't post. If you could read it on the page before, and now you can't, though, I don't know.

@bijoux, dancingnancy was @dtissagirl previous username :)

• Love 2
(edited)

Maybe that's what happened,  I thought it posted but maybe i changed pages while it was saving.  It's happened a couple of time recently and I'm getting frustrated

Edited by Morrigan2575

Just finished (finally) watching Batman: The Animated Series and Superman: The Animated Series and am starting back into Justice League. It's interesting how the styles change.  When I first started Batman TAS, I didn't really care for the style, but then by the time the style changed in the last season, I found that it annoyed me and I didn't really care for the new character designs (and Catwoman turned into a completely different character - what was up with that?). Also, I hadn't realized that Superman's voice changed from Superman: TAS to Justice League.  That is throwing me a little, as is Batman's ever taller and more pointy ears (lol).  My favorite episodes were the Superman/Batman teamups.  There weren't nearly enough of them, but the few they had were always fun.  

Restarting Justice League, I'm remembering why Hawkgirl became one of my favorite characters.  It's really too bad they didn't model LoT's Hawkgirl more off of her.

• Love 3

When I first started Batman TAS, I didn't really care for the style, but then by the time the style changed in the last season, I found that it annoyed me and I didn't really care for the new character designs (and Catwoman turned into a completely different character - what was up with that?). 

Batgirl as well.  I HATED what they did with the eye.  Stupid pupil-less Orphan Annie eyes. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I guess I didn't notice Batgirl so much for some reason.  But Bruce and the Joker were drawn very differently.  Poison Ivy and several others changed too.  Harley, strangely enough, stayed just the same.

With Catwoman, though, it wasn't just a design makeover (and that by itself was pretty drastic) - it was also like she got a personality transplant.  They really seemed like two different characters.

Also gotta say, wasn't loving the mullet on Nightwing. But I guess it was the 90s. :(

Edited by Starfish35
(edited)
3 hours ago, tv echo said:

According to Ciara Renee in her April 28 facebook q&a, they originally planned to have the show be about Hawkgirl & Hawkman (before they expanded the cast and made it LoT)...

https://www.facebook.com/CWLegendsofTomorrow/videos/1693136114294473/

They have talked about this before. It was one of the ideas thrown around (after Ray wasn't popular). I think they were trying to find an idea where ATOM would work. The Hawks and The ATOM have somewhat of a comic linking. http://comicvine.gamespot.com/atom-and-hawkman/4050-2387/

They decided a Hawk show would be too much like Arrow with the constant Flashbacks. It was the cw president who asked for a Villains show. So they kind of combined all the ideas. 

This was mentioned at the winter TCA.

Edited by tarotx
  • Love 5

So I marathoned Key & Peele yesterday in-between yardwork projects and garage organizing, and here's what I thought of re somebody being shot in the penis:

"Shot in the dick, shot shot shot in the dick. I got shot in the dick (but the dick's still standing)."

Key & Peele is so underrated.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Velocity23 said:

Wow they dodged a bullett there.

Anyway wonder if this category in TVLines May sweeps scorecard applies to somebody in the Arrowverse:

Number of characters getting shot in the penis: 1

http://tvline.com/2016/04/06/may-sweeps-scorecard-2016-spoilers-deaths/2/

Please let it be Malcolm!! Though id actually like to see Thea fulfill her threat of beheading That SOB

From what I'm reading about pilot buzz at Deadline, it's starting to look like Peyton List's show, Frequency, won't get picked up.  If not, I wonder if we'll see more of Lisa Snart on Flash/LoT next season.

Katrina Law's Training Day still looks like it has a good chance though, so we may not see much of Nyssa next year.  I'll bet they give Nyssara some resolution in this week's episode because of that.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

From what I'm reading about pilot buzz at Deadline, it's starting to look like Peyton List's show, Frequency, won't get picked up.  If not, I wonder if we'll see more of Lisa Snart on Flash/LoT next season.

Katrina Law's Training Day still looks like it has a good chance though, so we may not see much of Nyssa next year.  I'll bet they give Nyssara some resolution in this week's episode because of that.

Not that I don't want her show to be picked up or anything because I'm sure that would be good for her. But I would be so. very. happy. to get Lisa on the Waverider with Snart (bonus points as Snart goes nuts with her flirting with Ray and Jax).

• Love 2
3 hours ago, nksarmi said:

Not that I don't want her show to be picked up or anything because I'm sure that would be good for her. But I would be so. very. happy. to get Lisa on the Waverider with Snart (bonus points as Snart goes nuts with her flirting with Ray and Jax).

Goody Two Shoes Ray and Femme Fatale Lisa Snart? Sign me up for that! It would be worth it just to watch Snart mentally plot Ray's slow and painful death.

• Love 4
(edited)

I came across this 2010 quote by Greg Berlanti (before Arrow was even a glimmer in his eye) - just thought I'd post it as a contribution to our understanding of the mindset behind the Flarrow shows...

Greg: I think finding ways to ground the characters is important. You have to always try to think about them like real people first, and not just heroes. They have to be real characters. As people do more and more superhero stuff, the characters are what distinguish it, just like in cop shows. There’s a difference between Mackey and Sipowicz. It’s the characters that ultimately distinguish something.

Greg Berlanti Interview NO ORDINARY FAMILY; Plus Updates on GREEN LANTERN and THE FLASH
BY CHRISTINA RADISH      AUGUST 1, 2010
http://collider.com/greg-berlanti-interview-no-ordinary-family-green-lantern-the-flash-interview-greg-berlanti/

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Welp.  Regarding Lot,

I'm guessing Kendra is gone.   I don't see the cw wanting two African American warrior women with convoluted love lives on it .  

4 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

"James" is the name on a casting call for a new series regular for Arrow season five.

Thanks, but do we need another series regular on Arrow? Aren't we getting Curtis already?

Just now, Lokiberry said:

Thanks, but do we need another series regular on Arrow? Aren't we getting Curtis already?

Most of us on this board suspect him to be the main baddie for season 5

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Lokiberry said:

Your logic is pointless,  the writers are much like Eric Cartman and they'll just do what they want. 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Delphi said:

Welp.  Regarding Lot,

Hide contents

I'm guessing Kendra is gone.   I don't see the cw wanting two African American warrior women with convoluted love lives on it .  

That would be the right thing to do. She's absolutely terrible. The actress even more than the character.

Cisco had some stupid lines today. Whatever, I'm willing to ignore that cause the rest of the episode was amazing. Yay, Baby Speedsters who (hopefully) don't need pep talks! I'm so excited.

• Love 1
(edited)

Skipped Flash again tonight, although this time it was for work. Is it worth it to watch? I'm 2 (now 3 eps) behind. Could care less about Cisco, Caitlin, Zoom or Wells. I basically only watch it for BA, Iris, Joe & Mr. Allen. Is there anything good on those fronts?

Edited by kismet
1 minute ago, kismet said:

Skipped Flash again tonight, although this time it was for work. Is it worth it to watch? I'm 2 (now 3 eps) behind. Could care less about Cisco, Caitlin, Zoom or Wells. I basically only watch it for BA, Iris, Joe & Mr. Allen. Is there anything good on those fronts?

Iris has feelings, but in my personal opinion - it feels off. Any good development on that front is probably coming later. The show basically spent the whole hour with Harry trying to convince everyone that they need the Flash again and need to recreate the accident that gave him his powers - with his two dads bringing up various levels of objections. Then at the end, we might have gotten baby Speedsters! And something happened to Barry - to be determined next week...

Bottom line? I think you could skip it and catch all you really need to know in the previouslies next week, but I've been very underwhelmed by Flash since the Earth 2 episodes. And you know what - it isn't GG or BA because I loved him on Supergirl. And typically I love Barry when he's working with Oliver. There is just something about Team Flash that doesn't do it for me. I like the characters individuals - just not collectively. Weird.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, kismet said:

Based on my twitter feed:

• Good for W/A fans
  • BA does the same ol' same ol'... Basically he cries and gets a pep talk
  • The ending will surprise you (basically they pulled an Arrow)
  • Iris looked awesome in her pants :p
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, wonderwall said:

• Good for W/A fans
  • BA does the same ol' same ol'... Basically he cries and gets a pep talk
  • The ending will surprise you (basically they pulled an Arrow)
  • Iris looked awesome in her pants :p

She definitely upped the anti on Felicity's jeans from the last episode. I wonder if this is going to be an on-going competition between the two of them? :)

Just now, nksarmi said:

She definitely upped the anti on Felicity's jeans from the last episode. I wonder if this is going to be an on-going competition between the two of them? :)

Why let it be a competition when you can spend your time enjoying the view instead? :) Imagine Felicity in her jeans and Iris in those pants on screen together? It would be a massive blow to my self-esteem :p

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

• Good for W/A fans

Kinda. Like if you enjoy watching a woman confess her feelings (or, I guess, "this seems like fate, so...we should probably give it a go?") to a guy who just stands there and doesn't actually respond in any kind of way, haha. But it's canon, so who cares?!

Iris looked awesome full stop!

• Love 7
(edited)

This is the second(?) time Iris has prefaced with "the universe says so" and I have no idea what the heck they're trying to do that.

Edited by hogwash
fix quotation
  • Love 2
(edited)
2 minutes ago, hogwash said:

This is the second(?) time Iris has prefaced with "the universe says so" and I have no idea what the heck they're trying to do that.

What makes me saddest is that someone probably thinks this is all v. romantic. 

Edited by apinknightmare
  • Love 7

While I have quit watching Flash, I'm still interested in Iris as a character... I want to know, has Flash been doing her justice this year? I know she's on the team now, but what does she actually do? What does she bring to the team? Because I think, the fact that she's a journalist, she could bring her investigative skills... So does the show actually reflect that?

I just don't want Iris to be saddled with just being the love interest/ Barry's cheerleader...