Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Tbh, I think I connected more with the Punisher than DD (not sure what that says about me).

You're not alone. There's also something about the Punisher that I, as a straight woman, find incredibly hot. I mean, it's not just the actor, I've seet a few episodes of The Walking Dead and I didn't care about him (or anybody else, really - it was really boring). And of course, I'd never go for a "bad boy" type in real life. But here? I'm really attracted to the character, and it happens really, really seldom to me. I also find him very interesting, despite (or maybe because of) being obviously mentally unstable.

Right now, I'm watching the romance stuff, and I have lots of feelings. Mostly because my personal life is a mess and Matt/Karen, unlike most comic book relationships, feel pretty realistic, but it's getting hard for me to watch because of IRL stuff. Still, not badly done.

Elektra, however... I want to think that her over-the-top persona is a mask - that's what it feels like. So I'll reserve my judgment. Otherwise, she feels like a textbook Veronica to Karen's Betty.

• Love 1

I really liked Jessica Jones in how it was filled with super powers but felt so real at the same time.  I guess that was there in DareDevil too, but I think my problem with DD season one was he kept getting beat up all. the. time.  I needed him to "win" a few more battles for me to care about him.  I know that probably sound weird, but it's true for me. I hope season two is better.

For me, JJ won simply because of a more relatable hero and much more interesting villain. I'm the minority who didn't care about Fisk at all, while Kilgrave was just awesome. Awful yet somehow understandable - just the way I like my villains. Also, Jessica/Kilgrave relationship was a standout, so many layers! I doubt any relationship of Matt can come close, TBH. Although I am enjoying "The temptation of Matt Murdock" theme of season 2.

• Love 2

Just started season 2 of Daredevil last night and I'm enjoying it so far. I loved Jessica Jones so much, but Luke Cage was boring as hell to me. Not sure how his show will be.

Just had this exchange with my preschooler when I asked her why Poison Ivy is her favorite Batman character:

Kid: "What? Green is my favorite color. Also, I love gardening."

I asked her if she liked Green Arrow or Green Lantern. She said no, because "Boys are yucky."

• Love 8

The Hand and The Chaste should've been what the League of Assassins were on Arrow. Highly trained ninja assassins that are not at all easy to take down.The Ghosts and the LOA might as well have been random thugs the way they were used on Arrow. Sara didn't even get to show her own skills until she got her own show. And if they were supposed to be trained like she's showing on LoT, there is no way Laurel or Thea should've been able to win in a fight against them without help. 

• Love 3

Shit, this show seems determined to make me care about Frank. That scene with Karen in ep 6 just slayed me. I mean, I'd probably ship them in another circumstances, it was just that powerful. I almost teared up again. Berthnal is really giving it his all, amazing actor. I'm floored.

Edited by FurryFury
  • Love 2

Berthnal is doing an amazing job. Shane on the Walking Dead was a love to hate character and one that you'd cheer when they died, but are memorable. On Daredevil he's doing a lot more and showing his skills as an actor. I can see why Karen cares about Frank, she's spent the most time with him and really got to know the man. It's too bad the man she's in love with continues to keep everything from her. I know they both have secrets but her's doesn't go as deep as Matt's. 

These Marvel Netflix shows are really good, better than the movies since they can dig deeper into the psyche of the hero and and the villain. Jessica Jones is still my favorite because I cared about Jessica and her well being. While Matt's hypocritical righteousness is starting to annoy me. I do understand the no kill rule and no they shouldn't go around killing every bad guy they meet, but sometimes the situation calls for a permanent solution. That's why I liked the Jessica Jones ending. 

Elektra reminds me of a combination of Sara and Nyssa which is probably why I like her. I've never seen the actress in anything before. I think she's doing a good job bringing the character to life and making me feel for her too as the series progresses. 

I also completely forgot that D.A. Reyes was in Jessica Jones. I still kind of hope that Jessica shows up in the finale. I'll probably find that out tonight when I finish the series. 

I think it's pretty clear from this Batman v Superman promo that we shouldn't bother looking for Arrow to get one. They have actors from Flash, Supergirl, LoT, iZombie, Lucifer, The Big Bang Theory, and freaking Supernatural. But not Arrow. 

To be fair, I didn't see anyone from Gotham either.

Edited by lemotomato

Holy shit, Daredevil's Elektra IS Sara. Only not a well-developed (imo!). I mean, it's all here - ex-assassin who wants to put it behind her, ties with a ninja-esque organization, past romance with the main character, different views on killing... But I can't help it, I like Sara much better. Elektra's not bad though.

• Love 5

I think it was more of an insult for Gotham. Although not including Arrow is weird, since some of those looked like carpet interviews not the set ones like LoT, Flash and iZombie.  

But Caity got her her name in that one. Yay!

Holy shit, Daredevil's Elektra IS Sara. Only not a well-developed (imo!). I mean, it's all here - ex-assassin who wants to put it behind her, ties with a ninja-esque organization, past romance with the main character, different views on killing... But I can't help it, I like Sara much better. Elektra's not bad though.

She also had the this who I am speech that Sara pretty much gave to Oliver when she broke up with him. Elektra has the advantage of being on a better written show but I also like Sara better. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 1

Wow, that's really an insult to Stephan Amell that they've got minor characters from the other DC shows and no Oliver Queen.

Lol some of the comments complimenting DC for not including Arrow... 

And to think I've been told wasn't a real fan of the show for 3 years...

• Love 2

Wow, that's really an insult to Stephan Amell that they've got minor characters from the other DC shows and no Oliver Queen.

You know SA has to be annoyed to not be part of this, though he would probably try to go off handle and say Oliver Queen would win knowing him. But it is very saddening to not see anyone from Arrow not being able to chime in. 

I really hope we see a lot of past Batman/Supermans/Linda Carter show up on the red carpet. The nerd in my NEEDS a photoshoot to happen.

• Love 6

Maybe SA can't promote BVS because of Turtles?!

Generally networks don't promote a show in their 3rd or 4th season like they do in their 1st and 2nd.  Flash, iZombie, and LOT are all in their 1st or 2nd.  Flash might get promo in S3 because CW considers it their flagship show,  

Edited by Sunshine
  • Love 1

Yep, Elektra  

is Sara, being that it appears she will be coming back from the dead. And yes, I know that happened to Elektra in the comics as well. So I suppose in that case Sara is based off Elektra.

Edited by Sakura12

I think it's pretty clear from this Batman v Superman promo that we shouldn't bother looking for Arrow to get one. They have actors from Flash, Supergirl, LoT, iZombie, Lucifer, The Big Bang Theory, and freaking Supernatural. But not Arrow. 

To be fair, I didn't see anyone from Gotham either.

Hmmm. So maybe it's WB PR trolling not CW.  The Gotham omission is glaring too. But they're the only ones that film in NY -- but I don't think that's a real excuse, though.

Maybe SA can't promote BVS because of Turtles?!

This could very well have something to do with them skipping Arrow.  They couldn't have the rest of the cast if they can't have Oliver Queen. 

He wasn't doing anything for Turtles when these were filmed so that cant be the reason.

I think they're talking about a clause in his contract or something that doesn't allow him to promote movies for other studios, not an availability thing.

• Love 2

If that's the case, they could have had someone else from Arrow on if they wanted.  If they can have Sara on LoT, who isn't from the comics, they could have had Diggle from Arrow. Or Laurel, who is major comic book presence.  It's not even a question of promoting the new TV shows because Flash is in season 2 and doing just fine.

There had to be some conflict because Arrow was really blatantly missing. Maybe production being behind meant they didn't have time for it.

Adam West was awesome.

It's funny to see Adam West again. He was a hoot on TBBT talking about getting paid for appearances.

The interviews looked like they were slipped in between takes, and since Flash and LoT shoots on the same sets as Arrow, as quarks has pointed out, there's no excuse for not having any Arrow actors in the promo.

Edited by statsgirl
  • Love 1

Hmmm. So maybe it's WB PR trolling not CW.  The Gotham omission is glaring too. But they're the only ones that film in NY -- but I don't think that's a real excuse, though.

I was informed (by one of the people that were gleeful and gloating about Arrow getting excluded) that Gotham got its own Batman v Superman promo, like Flash/LoT/iZombie. So Arrow really is the only one that got snubbed. 

Edited by lemotomato

If Steve really can't do any kind of promotion for anything ever because of his Turtles contract, Arrow REALLY isn't gonna get any kind of promotion until that contract is expired. The WB market people will be petty enough to go "no Steve, no promo" in a second, I have no doubt about that. 95% of movie promo comes from butthurt. I know because I work with movie promo people.

Edited by dtissagirl
  • Love 5

If Steve really can't do any kind of promotion for anything ever because of his Turtles contract, Arrow REALLY isn't gonna get any kind of promotion until that contract is expired. The WB market people will be petty enough to go "no Steve, no promo" in a second, I have no doubt about that. 95% of movie promo comes from butthurt. I know because I work with movie promo people.

If there hadn't been complete incompetence on every social media platform over an extended period of time, I would think this was true, but it just comes across as another in a long line of failures.  At this point, I feel the same way about the Arrow promotion as I did about the Laurel storyline, in the sense that I think that behind-the-scenes factors are impacting what we are seeing.   It is their second highest rated show and has higher twitter ratings than all of their other shows, Amell may have a bit of an ego but appears incredibly professional, EBR is a breakout sensation, and reviewers feel enormous affection for the show so it still gets some press.  Even if they didn't want to spend any money, the CW could build off the momentum on social media, and yet they seem to ignore the show and its stars, even when it would serve them to promote BvS because of Amell's power on Facebook and Rickards power on twitter.  I like to avoid paranoia, and usually stuff can be explained by incompetence rather than spite, but I am beginning to suspect that the problems with Arrow promotion are falling into the latter category.

• Love 8

I doubt it's a contract thing - I don't think that makes sense. But even if that were the case, the other cast could have been used. I don't know when and where these promos were  filmed, but WB has been promoting (and known how they wanted to promote) BvS for months, at least. The fact that they got every other Vancouver-based show's cast but not Arrow is... curious, to put it mildly.

I was informed (by one of the people that were gleeful and gloating about Arrow getting excluded) that Gotham got its own Batman v Superman promo, like Flash/LoT/iZombie. So Arrow really is the only one that got snubbed. 

Like, one that was released earlier? Because I have not been able to find one for Gotham.

Like, one that was released earlier? Because I have not been able to find one for Gotham.

This was the link I was given. It appears to be one of those trailer with fanboy commentary videos, but it includes the original promo:

• Love 1

That's why I'm so glad that SA is getting the CinemaCon Male Star of Tomorrow Award - even thought I haven't yet seen any acknowledgement or congrats on twitter by CW Arrow, The CW, The WB or even by the Arrow EPs (except for GB retweeting a news link).

Edited by tv echo
  • Love 2

Jeremy Renner Open To Netflix; Responds to Stephen Amell's Arrow vs Hawkeye Claims (Video)
Posted by: Matt McGloin  Mar. 20, 2016
http://www.cosmicbooknews.com/content/jeremy-renner-open-netflix-responds-stephen-amells-arrow-vs-hawkeye-claims-video#axzz43RWLKYP1

Renner on Stephen Amell's Arrow claims:

"I'm happy that ficticious character can beat this other ficticious character in any random contest that he would like to challenge...I'm happy for that."

I doubt it's a contract thing - I don't think that makes sense. But even if that were the case, the other cast could have been used. I don't know when and where these promos were  filmed, but WB has been promoting (and known how they wanted to promote) BvS for months, at least. The fact that they got every other Vancouver-based show's cast but not Arrow is... curious, to put it mildly.

].

Sure they could have other actors on Arrow do the promo if SA couldn't (and he did say he wasn't going to be doing any promos for awhile didn't he?) but you can't have characters on a show that is the closest thing to a live action Batman on TV (closer by a long shot than wee Bruce Wayne on Gotham even though I'm loving that show) and not have the Batman stand in show up in the promo. It would IMO ruin it for the PR people. All the other shows had the leads in it. I really think that would matter to them. Fair or not to Arrow.

• Love 1

He said he wasn't going to do interviews and stick to Facebook but, that of course isn't true since he just did an IGN interview and an interview for a British site (along with EBR and Willa).

Personally I think people are just looking for someone/something to blame and have locked onto TMNT as a reason they aren't getting what they want.

I don't know if Arrow did a promo but if they did maybe the CW is saving it for 3/23 which is when Arrow returns and the day before BvS opens in theaters?

As for the promo, why are people blaming the CW the network has nothing to do with those promos, they're obviously done by WB marketing since they're hitting WB/DC shows across all networks.

Edited by Morrigan2575

That's why I'm so glad that SA is getting the CinemaCon Male Star of Tomorrow Award - even thought I haven't yet seen any acknowledgement or congrats on twitter by CW Arrow, The CW, The WB or even by the Arrow EPs (except for GB retweeting a news link).

I'm probably reaching here, but it could be that he asked them not to. He's been so outspoken in the past about awards being BS, and this seems to be the ultimate in BS awards, since I'm pretty sure most of them are arranged by the studios for publicity purposes pre-release, and not based on any actual acting talent or strength of performance.

• Love 3

I'm probably reaching here, but it could be that he asked them not to. He's been so outspoken in the past about awards being BS, and this seems to be the ultimate in BS awards, since I'm pretty sure most of them are arranged by the studios for publicity purposes pre-release, and not based on any actual acting talent or strength of performance.

Oh, this is definitely something the TMNT studio arranged to get publicity/attention for the movie.
  • Love 1

Oh, this is definitely something the TMNT studio arranged to get publicity/attention for the movie.

Yeah, I didn't want to outright say for sure since I don't know for sure. It just seemed like a pretty safe guess based on the past winners, haha.

Yeah, I didn't want to outright say for sure since I don't know for sure. It just seemed like a pretty safe guess based on the past winners, haha.

Yeah, I shouldn't say definitely because I don't know for sure but, it certainly sounds like a PR thing.

Sure they could have other actors on Arrow do the promo if SA couldn't (and he did say he wasn't going to be doing any promos for awhile didn't he?) but you can't have characters on a show that is the closest thing to a live action Batman on TV (closer by a long shot than wee Bruce Wayne on Gotham even though I'm loving that show) and not have the Batman stand in show up in the promo. It would IMO ruin it for the PR people. All the other shows had the leads in it. I really think that would matter to them. Fair or not to Arrow.

The Gotham promo for Batman v Superman didn't include the actors that play Bruce Wayne and Jim Gordon. They could have totally done an Arrow promo, but just chose not to. There's some fuckery going on at WB.

Edited by lemotomato
  • Love 1

Maybe Stephen doesn't want to do the promo for a BvS video because of all of the backlash and ugly comments he received before when he said Arrow would beat Batman in a fight. I mean I don't know why some fans thought he would say otherwise (Stephen plays the Green Arrow why would they even begin to think he would say he would lose). It's like expecting Brandon Roth to say Batman after he played Superman it's not gonna happen!  So I think he just wants to stay away from something that could make it resurface (no proof just MO). I'm not sure if any of the actors who have voiced their opinion in the BvS outcome has had passionate fans (or fanatics) blowing up their timeline and FB page like they did to Stephen I hope not, but I can and could understand Stephen's desire to not even go there.

However that shouldn't stop them from possibly asking the other cast members of Arrow, not sure we will ever know why they didn't. Unless they do a promo of it before Arrow airs or the movie premiere then they never will.

Edited by Ann Mack

I doubt the turtle contract would prohibit him from doing PR for movies that are not in competition with it, especially since if he had done multiple films around the same time, they wouldn't be able to make him forgo promiting them. Blame is on CW 100% for me.

This is WB promo, not CW, as evidenced by the Big Bang Theory actors being on it.

Maybe Stephen doesn't want to do the promo for a BvS video because of all of the backlash and ugly comments he received before when he said Arrow would beat Batman in a fight.

Steve saying "I don't wanna do it" is the least likely scenario. If he told the WB that, they would just force him to do it, like they did last year, demanding his presence at PaleyFest.

IF the problem is SA [we don't know that], it makes more sense his contract with Paramount [is it Paramount?] for Turtles supercedes his WB contract with regards to movie promotion before TMNT2 opens.

Brandon Routh on Hollywood Game Night tonight. NBC 8pm Eastern/9pm Central time.

He should be fun on that.

I know he has name recognition beyond LoT and of course trotting out a Superman is a great Ice breaker for once again reminding everyone that the big Bats/Supes movie is coming out, but but he should be able to plug the show! I'm oddly excited to here it mentioned on another network.

Edited by BkWurm1

This is WB promo, not CW, as evidenced by the Big Bang Theory actors being on it.

This whole thing is odd. Maybe there are shenanigans in the Arrow production office? I have no idea.

This whole thing is odd. Maybe there are shenanigans in the Arrow production office? I have no idea.

I don't think so? The production offices are up in Vancouver, they have nothing to do with promoting the show, much less separate WB properties.

• Love 2

So wait, sorry, I'm behind on all of the threads. The Arrow cast is the only one without a Batman vs Superman promo? WTF. Regardless of there being contract issues or not, it sends out a crappy message to fans, especially Arrow fans. It's like a middle finger actually. I mean, personally I'm not bothered about seeing a promo for myself but I also don't like the message it sends out either, like they just don't care.

Maybe we'll get one in the next couple of days? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Edited by Guest