Type keyword(s) to search

Mind Your Surroundings: Arrow, The Flash, Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow and Other Superhero Universes

ArctisTor
  • Start Topic

Also in LOT Savage asked Sara how was her sister Laurel. Sara didn't take the bait, but I bet it'll come back to her later, she'll realize later he knew.

• Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, statsgirl said:

Re tonight's LoT:  I'm afraid Jax and Stein won't be back next season, and sadly possibly Rip.  And I really, really need The Hawks to be gone instead.  Now that Kendra is once more totally committed to the unpleasant Carter, they both drag the show down.

Jax and Stein being out crossed my mind as well.  They might just be too expensive to keep.  (CGI)  I would miss Martin but I also want him to go home and be with his poor wife.  So I think I'd be ok saying goodbye.  Maybe they could make guest visit.  I worry that they will keep both Hawks and just have them a firm couple next year.  I would HATE it if we lost Rip.  I really need him to stick around. 

It might be the accent. 

2 hours ago, Artsda said:

Also in LOT Savage asked Sara how was her sister Laurel. Sara didn't take the bait, but I bet it'll come back to her later, she'll realize later he knew.

For viewers of only LoT, it was a nice set up for a reveal later.  Still, it's implied that Rip is withholding that information from her and I don't like that.  I really like the trust between them even in the face of Rip's flaws and weaknesses he's still confiding in Sara and relying on her just a bit more than anyone else.  I'd hate to see a rift form.  Though I suppose Laurel's death could be painted as one of those events that has to happen to save the world. 

If Laurel hadn't been killed the team wouldn't have accelerated their efforts to take down DD and if they hadn't done that, they might not have had a way to go up against Dahrk now that it's vital to stop him. So Laurel HAS to die.  :)

Edited by BkWurm1
  • Love 3

If I'm reading this right, Kendra chose Carter and gave Ray the boot, and now all three of them are on the ship. That sounds not at all uncomfortable!

42 minutes ago, looptab said:

Poor Ray can't win.

When he first came on the scene did you ever imagine yourself posting something like that?

I really have to give LoT writers credit for rehabing his character to the point that I actually care and feel bad for him.

2 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

Jax and Stein being out crossed my mind as well.  They might just be too expensive to keep.  (CGI)  I would miss Martin but I also want him to go home and be with his poor wife.  So I think I'd be ok saying goodbye.  Maybe they could make guest visit.  I worry that they will keep both Hawks and just have them a firm couple next year.  I would HATE it if we lost Rip.  I really need him to stick around. 

It might be the accent. 

For viewers of only LoT, it was a nice set up for a reveal later.  Still, it's implied that Rip is withholding that information from her and I don't like that.  I really like the trust between them even in the face of Rip's flaws and weaknesses he's still confiding in Sara and relying on her just a bit more than anyone else.  I'd hate to see a rift form.  Though I suppose Laurel's death could be painted as one of those events that has to happen to save the world. 

If Laurel hadn't been killed the team wouldn't have accelerated their efforts to take down DD and if they hadn't done that, they might not have had a way to go up against Dahrk now that it's vital to stop him. So Laurel HAS to die.  :)

A show without Stein might be hard for me to watch - can't we just keep him and bring Clarissa on the ship? She can be the Den Mom for the rambunctious bunch.

I do like Rip's accent & attitude, but really I can't see anyone trusting him for round 2 of Save the World without a manual and very little trust. He would need to change his behavior & choices for me to believe the team would want him to stay. I actually wonder if he is going to sacrifice his life to save his wife & child, and that is how VS is defeated. It's not just Kendra that has to make the final blow, but some price has to be paid to change the timeline. And that price is Rip's love and life.

Of course LL's death must happen - didn't you know she is now some cross between Saint/Savior? Why would you ever question that her death must occur to Save the World? It was foretold for generations & her legacy will be told for generations to come.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, bijoux said:

If I'm reading this right, Kendra chose Carter and gave Ray the boot, and now all three of them are on the ship. That sounds not at all uncomfortable!

Yep and because Kendra refusing to kill VS in case it meant Carter might not ever remember her in this lifetime didn't clue Ray in, Ray only finds out she chose Carter when he sees her cupping Carter's face and reciting a love poem that basically is begging him to love her.  And then she's still acts surprised when Ray says he can't do this anymore.  (Doesn't fight him mind you, but why pretend it was ever going to end otherwise?)

I would be more than fine if the Hawks got off the ship. 

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, kismet said:

When he first came on the scene did you ever imagine yourself posting something like that?

Eh, I never shared the board's hatred towards Ray. I understand it, I feel it's valid, but I rarely had a problem with him. :)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, BkWurm1 said:

Yep and because Kendra refusing to kill VS in case it meant Carter might not ever remember her in this lifetime didn't clue Ray in, Ray only finds out she chose Carter when he sees her cupping Carter's face and reciting a love poem that basically is begging him to love her.  And then she's still acts surprised when Ray says he can't do this anymore.  (Doesn't fight him mind you, but why pretend it was ever going to end otherwise?)

I would be more than fine if the Hawks got off the ship. 

I'm honestly confuseed as to why Carter not remembering her in this lifetime would be a problem. How did he come back anyway. I know he should be resurrected, but I thought he would be born somewhere. From what I gathered about Kendra, she was born however many years ago to a Kansas family. She didn't just spring into existence as an adult.

That was Carter from 2166, the Kendra we know had to have died somewhere between 2016 and 2166, allowing them both to reincarnate. I'm guessing 2166 Kendra died or has never found her Carter. Which is how Vandal found him alone before he got his memories back. 

I'll let Rip stay if Sara gets to be the Captain and he's her second in command. Rip is not fit to lead a team. 

• Love 2
(edited)

So I watched Civil War and it was SO much better than Age of Ultron (and also BvS but I guess that comparison isn't exactly fair anyway). No spoilers but I will say it didn't really feel like a Captain America movie tbh. 

Edited by Guest
(edited)

Ooh, the Cane Toad got hardcore dumped? Woohoo, I may have to watch this one on Hulu!

Well, technicality he dumped her. After finally realizing that she was never that into him. However you might want to watch Ray be a complete idiot and be goaded and manipulated by Savage, opening his cell door, think he's beating him then get chocked unconscious allowing Savage to escape. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 4

I was kind of expecting new lows for LoT based on Arrow's ratings this week.  Upside?  I'm sure there will be budget cuts on LoT, and maybe they'll get rid of the dead weight (Kendra, Savage, Hawkman, etc.)   

• Love 2
(edited)

Oh come on! SPN just cant catch a break. LOL

On the flip side, it doesn't say much that a brand new show is tying an 11 year old Veteran in the demo and barely beating it in viewers.

In other news more gossip/rumors/spec about Supergirl, this time from Deadline.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/05/supergirl-eyes-move-to-vancouver-more.html?m=1

Supergirl possibly moving to Vancouver.

I have to say, i honestly don't remember Pedowitz making a big deal about passing on Supergirl.  O kind of remember a comment when Supergirl premiered to huge ratings but, nothing on going or recent that would make me think CW wants it.  I mean if CBS is balking at the licensing fre ($3 million)  i can't imagine CW going yay lets grab Supergirl!

Edited by Morrigan2575

I kind of expect the CW to reair Legends in it's entirety this summer giving people a chance to catch up and perhaps gain interest prior to season two. I think this could work really well if season two begins next January anyway. I wonder if CBS could do the same things with Supergirl. It was only 20 episodes - if they aired it straight through, they could get the entire first season reaired and let season two debut in late October.

• Love 1

I'm now determined that Rip found Sara drinking after that goodbye with Nyssa.

Felicity has different shoes on than she did in 413, so whether they wanted to or not, it's my headcanon it was a a different time than when she had Noah arrested.

The Hawks are still ridiculous, I see.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, BkWurm1 said:

It might be the accent.

Unpopular Opinion (or maybe not) Time: I would not miss Jax or Stein if LoT loses Firestorm. They're both perfectly serviceable characters, and Jax's actor has gotten better, but I just have never really cared for them. I need the Hawks to be gone, but I also would HATE it if we lost Rip. (My love for Arthur Darvill apparently knows no bounds.)

I want to keep Sara, Snart, Mick (did not expect to love him so), Rip, and Ray (who is just fine when not dragged down by idiotic pseudo love triangles). Then we can see about adding new characters.

• Love 4

I loved the flashbacks.   It's odd that the Arrow flashbacks put me to sleep but on Legends I thought it was perhaps the best part of the episode. 

• Love 1

I love Victor Garber more than any other actor in the Flarrowverse, but I wouldn't be sad to see Stein gone either. It's a bummer, because I wish they'd given him more of a paternal/mentor role to play with anyone other than Jax. (I'm behind a few eps, though.) I think he's having a lot of fun on the show, but the role is just...inessential. Maybe in the "hard reboot" they're discussing, they'll give him more to do, but if not...then yeah, I hope they'll just cut their losses.

• Love 3
(edited)

For me, the must keep characters are Sara, Snart, and Mick, and the must lose characters are the Hawks.  They really really need to go.  

Ray, Rip, Jax, and Stein are all somewhere in between.  I like them, but it wouldn't break my heart to lose any of them.  Particularly Rip, to be honest.  I like Arthur Darvill, but Rip can get on my nerves (and I haven't even seen this most recent episode yet but from what I'm hearing it's not going to improve my opinion).  Not to the extent of the Hawks, certainly, but I wouldn't care if he turned the ship over to Sara and went on his merry way.  

Ray is fine as long as he's not involved in another tedious love triangle.  Seriously, stop that writers!  And I enjoy the comedy when he's playing the Boy Scout to Mick and Snart's rogues. 

Jax and Stein - I could go either way on them.  I've enjoyed some of their episodes this season, but I'm not sure losing them would make a huge impact on the show one way or the other, other than Firestorm being their most powerful team member. 

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 3

For me, the must keep characters are Sara, Snart, and Mick,

The problem is that those characters are...lacking subtlety and gravitas for the most part.

They need a Rip or a Stein.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, Starfish35 said:

I like Victor Garver, but I'm not sure Stein has added all that much to the show, frankly.  And Rip is just a terrible leader. 

I think Stein adds to the show just in his general sense of this is a diverse cast with radically different ways of looking at the world - plus his character has provided some things that I'm not sure would work if someone else was subbed in his place. That doesn't mean that I think he is essential to the show - just that he's very nice flavor (and so is Jax).

Rip IS a terrible leader but my word - I think that's why I like him so much. I think Rip is a bad leader because he is essentially doing something that shouldn't be done - I mean yes, VS should be stopped - but to save the world, not Rip's wife and son. So Rip has selfish motives and yet he has heroic motives as well and there is a war raging inside of him where he knows one thing needs to be done (stop Savage), wants another thing to be done (save his family), and is keenly aware that one might be possible but not the other. He's also never really sure if what he's doing is possible, right, or very selfish. And I love is honesty and his correlating self doubt.

He flat out tells Sara he would sacrifice them for his family (something that is true for MOST people) and says he has doubt about his decision making and then later yields to her because he knows she can be the big damn hero where he can't.

And I'm actually looking forward to seeing who he is when the current story is complete. Is he a competent badass when it's not personal for him? Will he care more about his crew than himself? I just want to know.

As far as Stein and Jax are concerned - I just like them. I wouldn't stop watching if they were off the show, but I really do like having them.

• Love 2
(edited)

My problem with Rip....well, I've said this before.  And I know no one agrees with me. Lol.  But as much as I do like Arthur Darvill I just don't really buy him in this particular role. What I see is Rory Williams playing the Tenth Doctor.  Badly as it turns out.  I just simply do not buy him as this legendary badass.  His old west shootout moment looked (to me) like a kid playing cowboys in Dad's coat and hat.  *shrug*  But I know that's just my own personal issue. :)

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 6
(edited)

Oh that's interesting. I like Arthur Darvil and loved Rory but, i don't get them (Rip/Rory) confused. I think Rip is a very different character from Rory.

Oddly enough i had a big issue watching Arthur Darvil in Broadchurch. Not sure if it was because you had Rory/Ten in the same show so i was constantly reminded of Doctor Who. Or perhaps it was becuase it was the first thing i saw him in after Doctor Who.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1
(edited)

I guess...  It's partially the duster that seems like it swallows him and the beard fuzz and all of it that just makes it seem like he's pretending to be someone he's not.  If he was a guy in regular clothes that turned out to actually be a badass, that I would buy.  But from the beginning it always felt like he was wearing someone else's costume.

Edited by Starfish35
  • Love 1
12 hours ago, AyChihuahua said:

Ooh, the Cane Toad got hardcore dumped? Woohoo, I may have to watch this one on Hulu!

On LoT he's less the Cane Toad than a sad version of the frog prince.

5 hours ago, nksarmi said:

I think Stein adds to the show just in his general sense of this is a diverse cast with radically different ways of looking at the world - plus his character has provided some things that I'm not sure would work if someone else was subbed in his place. That doesn't mean that I think he is essential to the show - just that he's very nice flavor (and so is Jax).

Rip IS a terrible leader but my word - I think that's why I like him so much. I think Rip is a bad leader because he is essentially doing something that shouldn't be done - I mean yes, VS should be stopped - but to save the world, not Rip's wife and son. So Rip has selfish motives and yet he has heroic motives as well and there is a war raging inside of him where he knows one thing needs to be done (stop Savage), wants another thing to be done (save his family), and is keenly aware that one might be possible but not the other. He's also never really sure if what he's doing is possible, right, or very selfish. And I love is honesty and his correlating self doubt.

He flat out tells Sara he would sacrifice them for his family (something that is true for MOST people) and says he has doubt about his decision making and then later yields to her because he knows she can be the big damn hero where he can't.

And I'm actually looking forward to seeing who he is when the current story is complete. Is he a competent badass when it's not personal for him? Will he care more about his crew than himself? I just want to know.

As far as Stein and Jax are concerned - I just like them. I wouldn't stop watching if they were off the show, but I really do like having them.

I agree completely.  Rip fascinates me. I love his layers and his vulnerability and his fear and his frustrations.  There's so much more to get to know.   

5 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

My problem with Rip....well, I've said this before.  And I know no one agrees with me. Lol.  But as much as I do like Arthur Darvill I just don't really buy him in this particular role. What I see is Rory Williams playing the Tenth Doctor.  Badly as it turns out.  I just simply do not buy him as this legendary badass.  His old west shootout moment looked (to me) like a kid playing cowboys in Dad's coat and hat.  *shrug*  But I know that's just my own personal issue. :)

With Rory I was indifferent to annoyed to mildly affectionate toward him at the end but I don't see Rory in Rip at all.  All his mannerisms and motivations are different.  He even sounds different, his tone and cadence.  I see him as a legendary badass that has been broken.  He's already fallen apart and this team is a last ditch attempt to save his family even as he's unraveling even more.  Yeah, as much as I adore Sara, I don't think the show would work without Rip.    

• Love 1

I just got back from watching Captain America... And while I was watching I was wondering... 

How many people were good with

Spoiler

Rhodes still being able to walk with the use of technology

were the same ones who dissed Felicity for essentially the same thing?

It made me really curious...

• Love 7

I saw Captain America last night, I liked it, except for one part that came out of nowhere even though I knew it was going to happen. Other than that it was a bit darker than the other movies. 

the fight at the end between Cap and Iron Man was brutal.

I like that the all had their reasons for choosing the sides they did. It wasn't like BvS where it didn't make much sense. 

15 hours ago, Starfish35 said:

I guess...  It's partially the duster that seems like it swallows him and the beard fuzz and all of it that just makes it seem like he's pretending to be someone he's not.  If he was a guy in regular clothes that turned out to actually be a badass, that I would buy.  But from the beginning it always felt like he was wearing someone else's costume.

I'm going to stay out of this thread until I see Captain America later today, but I wanted to comment on this....

Rip is wearing someone else's costume - his ex-boyfriend's! Remember it Jonah's duster so it makes sense that it swallows him and is oddly sentimental as well. :)  Yea I'm apparently down with the slash at this stage in my life because I SO want more Jonah and Rip and I definitely would not object to ColdAtom. :)

• Love 4

Ok saw the movie and it was totally awesome. I have a small issue with the fact that I think the Avengers are being blamed for things they shouldn't (as a group) be blamed for, but I was able to connect with everyone's motives (even if I disagreed with some). I'm very happy I came away from the movie not disliking anyone.

I think LoT could improve. I'm not a regular viewer, but I agree with the seeming general consensus that Sara and Mick are cool, and while I don't like Wentworth Miller's portrayal, I understand why others do. I am fairly neutral on Rip...I haven't watched Doctor Who for years, so have no prior experience with the actor, and the character seems iffy but maybe improvable. So for ME, just ME, get rid of the rest of the cast and I'll give it another try. I think they need a couple fewer characters, period, but my main problem so far has been the acting more than the writing. I mean I think the Hawk woman is TRULY, TRULY terrible, and she's in an awful lot of scenes. So cut back to those 3/4 good characters, only replace a couple of the other ones with some actual competent actors, and otherwise keep having fun with it. I personally will never stop hating Ray, plus they keep sticking him in romantic situations and Brandon Routh sucks at that. I want him gone, but at least stop trying to make him a romantic hero. (TBC, Ray Palmer is my break point - I won't watch as long as he's on, but I get that others are more okay with him, if they'd use him better.)

14 minutes ago, AyChihuahua said:

I think LoT could improve. I'm not a regular viewer, but I agree with the seeming general consensus that Sara and Mick are cool, and while I don't like Wentworth Miller's portrayal, I understand why others do. I am fairly neutral on Rip...I haven't watched Doctor Who for years, so have no prior experience with the actor, and the character seems iffy but maybe improvable. So for ME, just ME, get rid of the rest of the cast and I'll give it another try. I think they need a couple fewer characters, period, but my main problem so far has been the acting more than the writing. I mean I think the Hawk woman is TRULY, TRULY terrible, and she's in an awful lot of scenes. So cut back to those 3/4 good characters, only replace a couple of the other ones with some actual competent actors, and otherwise keep having fun with it. I personally will never stop hating Ray, plus they keep sticking him in romantic situations and Brandon Routh sucks at that. I want him gone, but at least stop trying to make him a romantic hero. (TBC, Ray Palmer is my break point - I won't watch as long as he's on, but I get that others are more okay with him, if they'd use him better.)

I really enjoyed Ray until they stuck him in this destiny triangle from hell. But if they use him as the dorky boy scout against worldly Snart or Rory - I can watch him all day.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, nksarmi said:

I really enjoyed Ray until they stuck him in this destiny triangle from hell. But if they use him as the dorky boy scout against worldly Snart or Rory - I can watch him all day.

Perhaps watch all day is a little too much of an overstatement for me. But they definitely need to keep him far from romantic triangle and being the knight on the horse. It's just not in BR's wheelhouse. He was so much better before they stuck Kendra on him to make her work. It was just a fail all around.

I actually wonder after this most recent episode if they are setting him up to be recurring next season. The guy seems to want to settle down and have a family. I think they should just let him do that and perhaps only bring him back for certain missions. It would save on the budget and allow for him to be utilized in a way that best serves RP & BR.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree with @AyChihuahua Ray does not do romantic lead well. Basically I can't buy his sudden shift form friend to in Looooove for every female they pair him with. But I prefer him in his own sub-plot to the side than in the A-storyline.

Edited by Genki
in
  • Love 2

Ray is okay in small doses, but they definitely need to stop making him a romantic lead. He's not cut out for that. LoT made him such a screw up. His arrogance makes him think he's the second in command. No one listens to him, even Gideon. When he tries to fight without his suit, everyone rolls their eyes and pretty much goes "No". IMO they don't need him on the team. They have Stein to be the scientist. The only reason I think he will stay is because his stupid suit cost so much to make. When it didn't need to be since The Atom's suit should just look like everyone elses suits. 

• Love 2

I agree BR sucks as romantic lead, he just can't do it.I mean Kendra is a chemistry black hole and all that but he didn't even work in the role when it was Felicity who has chemistry with pretty much everyone. Idk why they keep insisting on giving him romance storylines. LoT should get rid of him as well.He's not a huge problem imo like the Hawks or Savage but he's still pretty useless on the team and I don't think he brings anything special to the show. But they seem to really want to keep BR and they wasted all that money on the ugly suit so he's probably sticking around.He might be put more in the background tho because imo the LoT ratings will force them to evaluate what really works on the show and what they should focus on next season.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, kismet said:

Perhaps watch all day is a little too much of an overstatement for me. But they definitely need to keep him far from romantic triangle and being the knight on the horse. It's just not in BR's wheelhouse. He was so much better before they stuck Kendra on him to make her work. It was just a fail all around.

I actually wonder after this most recent episode if they are setting him up to be recurring next season. The guy seems to want to settle down and have a family. I think they should just let him do that and perhaps only bring him back for certain missions. It would save on the budget and allow for him to be utilized in a way that best serves RP & BR.

Ok I did actually mean as long as he's with Snart or Mick. But I forgot that I'd like to spend the other half of the day watching Sara.  Well maybe 3/4 Sara and 1/4 Ray with pyro and klepto. :)

Another thing I want to say about Captain America... 

I came into the movie thinking I'll be Team Captain America... But in the beginning I was Team Iron Man, then Team Captain America, then Team no one, then I ended up leaving the cinema being in firmly Team Black Panther :p He was awesome

• Love 6
54 minutes ago, wonderwall said:

Another thing I want to say about Captain America... 

I came into the movie thinking I'll be Team Captain America... But in the beginning I was Team Iron Man, then Team Captain America, then Team no one, then I ended up leaving the cinema being in firmly Team Black Panther :p He was awesome

This was totally me. Haha. I loved Black Panther a lot. I'm looking forward to his movie now. 

I'm still Team Cap. Because I knew the Government would use their new power to lock them up like they did. I did understand Tony's side, I just didn't think he understood what it all meant. I didn't like Tony saying

that Cap took Wanda from where she wanted to be (imprisoned in his house) If she wanted to be there, Tony. She still would be.  

I agree on Black Panther being awesome. I loved that he was a third side that kept showing up. I can't wait to see his movie. I would've seen it anyway because Marvel's earned enough of my trust, but now I'm excited to see it. 

• Love 3

I'm still Team Iron Man, I can understand where Captain America was coming from, but I think his actions caused the situation to escalate too fast. 

Spoiler

I was really uncomfortable with the way Steve and Bucky were wailing on Tony. Sure he was not in a state to be reasoned with but he has no powers except for his supersuit and if felt like they were trying to take him out permanently rather than incapacitate.

I liked Black Panther, but felt he was being a little hypocritical, in the fact it was OK for him to do whatever he wanted avenging his father, but now he has a moral high ground? Although he does owe Bucky a debt.

Ultimately for me it just felt like a set-up movie for the next Avengers, even though it was way better than AoU. Also I wish there were more women in the team. The movie kind of hammered home that there isn't enough female representation and that Marvel is still shirking from doing a female superhero movie

• Love 1
(edited)

They did just  sort of announce that Captain Marvel is going to be in Infinity Wars, that adds another woman to the team. 

Edited by Sakura12