Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons (01-05) Talk: Put Your Gore Face On

A place to discuss past seasons, arcs and moments from the show's run. Please remember this isn't a complete catch-all topic -- check out the forum for current season episode topics, character topics and other places for show-related talk.

I started watching season 7 because of Liv's reports. Now I'm going back to watch previous seasons. Just watched the season 2 finale. I wouldn't say I'm mad that

Rayce

won, but I don't understand what the point of the dance routine/stress test is if they'll still give the win to someone who had multiple issues post-dance. 

It's not terrible surprising he won. They've always considered the actual make up itself of primary importance and Rayce wasn't even close to challenged by RJ or Ian on that front. It could have swung a close race, but it's a foot note when there is a clear winner.

So amused right now. While spending our holidays in France, m. caprice was flipping through the channels and what should come on but FaceOff! I recognized Roy, so it must have been the third season. They had done some mutant Alice in Wonderland thing.

We were getting ready to play cards with his parents, so I can't tell you who won the challenge, but it was fun to see!

Comcast has all the season online in the OnDemand.  I've been watching Season 1 because that's the only season I haven't seen in its entirety.  I am amazed at the amount of drama on this season.  By most reality show standards, it's not bad, but for this show it is.  I'm glad they dialed it down...not sure if it was due to the fact that future contestants weren't into the drama or if the powers that be just decided to not include it.  In any case, I'm glad they made the change. 

• Love 3

Comcast has all the season online in the OnDemand.  I've been watching Season 1 because that's the only season I haven't seen in its entirety.  I am amazed at the amount of drama on this season.  By most reality show standards, it's not bad, but for this show it is.  I'm glad they dialed it down...not sure if it was due to the fact that future contestants weren't into the drama or if the powers that be just decided to not include it.  In any case, I'm glad they made the change. 

You just let me know what I'll be doing this weekend! I never saw seasons 1 and 2, so I'll have to check that out.  I started in season 3, and luckily stuck it out past episode 1 with Joe, the only "typical" reality contestant this show has had from that point on- so I'm hoping seasons 1 and 2 aren't as drama filled as you say- i.e., bad for FO, great for every other show on TV.

I should note that for some reason the body painting episode of season one is not on there for some reason, which is a shame, because the winning look in that challenge is probably my favorite thing I've ever seen on Face Off.

(edited)

I started in season 3, and luckily stuck it out past episode 1 with Joe, the only "typical" reality contestant this show has had from that point on- so I'm hoping seasons 1 and 2 aren't as drama filled as you say- i.e., bad for FO, great for every other show on TV.

Oh man, was Joe the guy who made two horrible, gloppy messes as his makeups? He's the guy that just flew the coop right before he would have been booted anyway? That guy just had no business anywhere near this show, I have no idea how a person like that could have possibly made it through the audition process. Season one was bad for ginned up "reality show" drama, season two had a little of that but since then it's mainly been about the competition, not the drama (beyond "oh no my mold broke and that's all I have to show for this week!"

Edit, I just looked it up and Im thinking of someone else, sorry if you read that Joe, sorry I disparaged your artistic abilities. Was Joe the obnoxious fellow that got invited to come back the same season Laura got to come back?

Edited by diebartdie
  • Love 1

No no, Joe [Castro] was the guy you were thinking of: he was in the premiere of season 3, looked like Travis Bickle with his mohawk and intense stare.  He was inexplicably convinced of his own greatness, but then stormed off and quit the show during judging, before they could actually announce the results and cut him in the first episode.  I don't even remember what he made in either the Foundation or Spotlight challenge, so I can't attest to the forms (and SyFy noticeably seems to have removed him from existence in their season 3 photo gallery) but I seem to recall they weren't good and no one was surprised.

The only guy from Laura's season who came back was Roy, who I wouldn't remotely call obnoxious; he was probably the best fabricator the show's had, and generally was helpful and mature.  The only knock I can think of is that he did seem a little bitter about going out 4th in his original season, although that was the season where Nicole was ousted, then came back three episodes later (thankfully the only time they've done that).  I can sympathize with his frustration, in that he and Laura had dominated that season, neither ever being in the bottom looks even once, and each having many top looks.  Then Nicole- who'd never even been in top looks before her ouster- comes back after several episodes of rest, hits the ground running and wins 3 of the last 4 challenges including the finale, thus pushing both of the two unquestionable front-runners down a rung.

If you're Roy or Laura, that would feel unfair to have someone come back, not having had to survive and fight through those other challenges (and the judge's criticisms).  I can't fault him for being frustrated to get so close to the finale and then not make it thanks to a weird one-time show gimmick.

• Love 2

Roy was awesome, I thought he would have been really great on Jim Henson's creature shop challenge. Joe was the one with the goopy monstrosities who bailed during judging but the obnoxious guy Im thinking of was in season 1, he jumped on the bed and freaked out during the body painting challenge because his model was a man. For whatever reason he was brought back in a later season where he was much more humble but he just wasn't a very creative guy.

Today I watched season 1, epi 3, which is the one where Frank went home. And I second the reaction to all the drama--yuch! Part of it has to be the producers, who typically encourage interpersonal drama on reality shows. I'm also glad they've gotten rid of most of the MTV-style material from the Face-Off House; it felt like such a waste of time watching one of the contestants share that she basically had a crush on another contestant. They figured out we want to see the creatives at work, not hanging around the house.

I just watched the Epi from Season 6 with the Guitar God challenge. I didn't get how the winning look won. The challenge was a musician who became one with his/her guitar. The winner didn't embody that at all. Without an explanation nobody would know there was a guitar there.

I just finished watching episode 3 of season 1. Boy, was that Frank a douchenozzle! He even smarted off to a judge (the tattoo artist). Glenn looked a lot better without the black dye job. Did they do having the winner opine on who should go home after season 1. I found that very awkward.

Not real sure where to put this, so I will put it here...

We've been watching reruns On Demand. Not sure which season it was, but it had Stevie, Evan, and Ben. When Missy came out with her orange hair, patterned tights, red hat, and piercings my son actually thought that SHE was the model with the costume and makeup. Egads. She wasn't around long enough for me to gauge her talents but the Wynonna Judd circa 1994 look was very distracting. 

• Love 1

I don't know where to find it, but did anyone else watch Face Off's Top 20 Greatest Looks (or whatever it was called)?  I enjoyed it, but would have enjoyed it more if it had been a little longer.  They blew through each one in about 30 seconds.  I couldn't find a date on it, but a lot of the top designs came from the same two or three seasons.

That twenty greatest looks IIRC was a separate episode just after the year/season that Laura won.  

Speaking of Laura, I smile every time they show her cubist design at the intro to any and every season, because nothing comes close  in my opinion.  

Doing a re-watch of all the seasons. I forgot in season 1 that they had the winner give his choice of who should be sent home. Makes it a little more interesting.

Season 1 had more reality show drama and video of the face-testants at their home away from home. They stopped doing that in later seasons. 

I enjoy  reviewing the earlier challenges. It would be interesting to see some of them revisited maybe with a little new twist.

Somewhat related:  The Dark Crystal is returning to theaters for two nights in February of 2018 before a release of a remastered version is released in March.  

http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3474651/dark-crystal-returning-theaters-early-next-year/

And has anyone seen Dredd, with a disfigures Cersei Lannister.  Her face work is really good.  

And Hetty's facial prosthetics in NCIS Los Angeles after she's been tortured in captivity?  I think I appreciate her altered face all the more for having watched Face Off.

• Love 1
On 3/7/2015 at 4:17 PM, hincandenza said:

No no, Joe [Castro] was the guy you were thinking of: he was in the premiere of season 3, looked like Travis Bickle with his mohawk and intense stare.  He was inexplicably convinced of his own greatness, but then stormed off and quit the show during judging, before they could actually announce the results and cut him in the first episode.  I don't even remember what he made in either the Foundation or Spotlight challenge, so I can't attest to the forms (and SyFy noticeably seems to have removed him from existence in their season 3 photo gallery) but I seem to recall they weren't good and no one was surprised.

I’m rewatching on Hulu and his episode was missing. The first episode of season 2 was also missing. I wonder why those 2 episodes are missing. 

On 2/24/2018 at 4:48 PM, TeslaNewton said:

I’m rewatching on Hulu and his episode was missing. The first episode of season 2 was also missing. I wonder why those 2 episodes are missing. 

Joe's episodes are probably missing because he claims they withheld his medication from him, used abusive tactics against him, and harassed him. They allegedly filed a restraining order against him. 

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Joe's episodes are probably missing because he claims they withheld his medication from him, used abusive tactics against him, and harassed him. They allegedly filed a restraining order against him. 

Wow! Thank you!