Type keyword(s) to search

S22.E09: Sir Elton John, Stephen Fry, Carey Mulligan, Robbie Williams, Pink

• Start Topic

Together on Graham Norton's sofa are rock star Sir Elton John, actor and writer Stephen Fry, Oscar-nominated actress Carey Mulligan, pop star Robbie Williams and singer-songwriter Pink, who performs What About Us.

I've already watched this online, before BBC blocked it.  Carey Mulligan has been on the show a number of times, but god, she's dull.  What a contrast to great story tellers like Williams and Fry. 

• Love 4

I enjoyed Fry and Williams - but pulling that lever on his wife was a major d*** move and I'm glad he got booed for it. For some reason I thought Elton John looked slightly angry throughout the whole show but maybe it was just the weird glasses.

And Prince Philip's advice to Charles was golden!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, theatremouse said:

It looked like his Resting Elton Face to me.

LOL. He's looked that way for a while. I think it's a combination of aging, substance abuse, blue-lensed glasses, and some pain. He was so stiff walking out. Given how energetic his live performances were in the '70s, I'm not at all surprised.

Robbie Williams is a very good chat-show guest, but he seems exhausting to live with. I have to admit that I laughed out loud when he flipped his wife in the Big Red Chair. Graham set it up too well for him not to: "This is Ayda's revenge?" "No!" The first story was very funny, too, even though I knew where it was going once the guy said he pulled down the swim trunks.

• Love 3

Robbie Williams dances a line between entertaining and exhaustingly annoying and for me he was one the annoying side of the line. YMMV.

Fry can occasionally dominate these kinds of shows but between Graham being a great host as well as there being a bigger star on the couch in Elton, he was just the right level of engaging.

• Love 2

Yes, Fry is always in danger of royal levels of Mansplaining,  but he was well checked.  I love him, but....

I often feel bad for people on the couch, because it's got such a deep seat and a shallow backrest.  So I thought Pink's solution of scooting her butt all the way back and folding her legs under her was sensible, if perhaps off putting. There must be some reason for them to use that sofa, when Graham gets a nice comfy, supportive chair...

Last year when Robbie was on, he sang that "Party Like a Russian" song. I actually went and bought it. And now I wonder now soon it'll be before we're doing it for real. 2017 sucks.

• Love 1
On 12/10/2017 at 12:24 PM, attica said:

Yes, Fry is always in danger of royal levels of Mansplaining,  but he was well checked.  I love him, but....

I often feel bad for people on the couch, because it's got such a deep seat and a shallow backrest.  So I thought Pink's solution of scooting her butt all the way back and folding her legs under her was sensible, if perhaps off putting. There must be some reason for them to use that sofa, when Graham gets a nice comfy, supportive chair...

Last year when Robbie was on, he sang that "Party Like a Russian" song. I actually went and bought it. And now I wonder now soon it'll be before we're doing it for real. 2017 sucks.

Me too! I have three herniated discs in my lumbar area, so I'm all about making sure I can be as comfortable as possible when visiting other people's homes or on airplanes.

I have "pulled a Pink" many times, but always make sure I'm still minding my manners (including keeping clean socks in my purse), even if I'm at my BFF from 6th grade's house and we're in sweats while binge watching The Voice! 

I'm at someone's house for the first time and I end up sitting on a painful couch or chair, I will politely ask for a small pillow for back support.  I know Graham tapes for more than an hour (I could watch 2 hours of certain episodes, no problem), so the guests probably keep drinking to offset their discomfort. I know I would!

I'm pretty sure that Hillary Clinton had a pillow cushioning her back when she was on the show earlier in the season, so it looks like one can be provided if a guest requests it (as it should be).