Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E07: Care Under Fire

FnkyChkn34
  • Start Topic

Halstead goes under cover to stop an ex-military kidnapping crew from killing an innocent child.

As a completely biased JLS fan, I missed me some Halstead, so I thought this episode was really good.  I haven't cared for the season much, and I don't know if just one episode will redeem it, but this was nice to see.  

I appreciated that the corruption was limited, but I did miss Al and Atwater (even Burgess).  They were practically nonexistent again.  It seems like the new writers have no idea how to write for more than 4 characters per episode?  And where is Trudy!?!  I miss her too.

1 minute ago, Guildford said:

Dare I say it...there are too many people in IU now. It's become too cumbersome & they have no idea how to handle it obviously.

I thought the last writers did it pretty well though, seeing the different sets of partners each take a piece of the case. But these new writers just like to have one person per case, and I personally don't care for it. 

• Love 5

I thought I might throw up with the tight interior jerky handheld camerawork—it was okay when they were outside, but my screen could hardly keep up with the jerkiness when the camera and the actors were moving in different directions. I don’t remember that from previous seasons and it interfered with the story. 

Mr MML: “Ruzek has a sister?”

7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I appreciated that the corruption was limited, but I did miss Al and Atwater (even Burgess).  They were practically nonexistent again.  It seems like the new writers have no idea how to write for more than 4 characters per episode?  And where is Trudy!?!  I miss her too.

Did they change writers along with the showrunner?

Either way, reading each thread, I'm getting more and more convinced that the new team/showrunner hasn't bothered to learn about the characters and the structure of the show and the relationship of the characters before they took over. A pity, in my opinion.

Edited by CheshireCat
1 hour ago, CheshireCat said:

Did they change writers along with the showrunner?

Either way, reading each thread, I'm getting more and more convinced that the new team/showrunner hasn't bothered to learn about the characters and the structure of the show and the relationship of the characters before they took over. A pity, in my opinion.

I did read somewhere that he said he didn't go back and watch previous seasons, which I found strange and it's glaringly obvious that he is just changing characters for the sake of storytelling and doesn't care if it makes sense or not. 

So question because I must have missed something:

Ruzek never put the drive in Voight's laptop so what did he hand the guy at the end that proves misconduct?  I have to assume that he handed him the same hard drive.  Or did I miss something else?  

Thanks!

6 minutes ago, SuzieQ said:

Ruzek never put the drive in Voight's laptop so what did he hand the guy at the end that proves misconduct?  I have to assume that he handed him the same hard drive.  Or did I miss something else? 

It was the video of Jay punching the civilian guy who stepped into the bar fight (the other two guys were cops who staged the fight). Atwater even said that if that guy ever found out Jay was a cop he would probably sue the city.

11 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I appreciated that the corruption was limited,

Not sure it was that limited. We had Voight giving Jay real pills to give to the criminal to prove that they were friends. It was kind of dark too, the guy took one just before they went to find the kid. And it might not be too much of a stretch to assume that had he not taken the pills he might have had a clearer head and not jumped out in the open when a guy was shooting at him. Then he wouldn't have gotten shot in the head.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:
2 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

It was the video of Jay punching the civilian guy who stepped into the bar fight (the other two guys were cops who staged the fight). Atwater even said that if that guy ever found out Jay was a cop he would probably sue the city.

Thanks!!  I need to quit multitasking! :)

3 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Not sure it was that limited. We had Voight giving Jay real pills to give to the criminal to prove that they were friends. It was kind of dark too, the guy took one just before they went to find the kid. And it might not be too much of a stretch to assume that had he not taken the pills he might have had a clearer head and not jumped out in the open when a guy was shooting at him. Then he wouldn't have gotten shot in the head.

I don't think that we know for sure that Ruzek gave him the video of Jay punching the guy. I never actually thought that, I just figured it was something else. 

And I said "limited," I didn't say non-existent. :)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, SuzieQ said:

Thanks!!  I need to quit multitasking! :)

If the episode was interesting enough, you wouldn’t feel the need to multitask ;)

I didn’t even realize the episode aired. I thought last week was the mid season finale for some reason. It was an okay episode. I was sad that Luis died. For a moment I thought he’d end up being a cop and becoming a reoccurring character. He looked really convincing backing Jay up.

Mykelti Williamson plays the same type of character in almost every role and I hate him in all of them. Wrap his storyline up, PLEASE.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I don't think that we know for sure that Ruzek gave him the video of Jay punching the guy. I never actually thought that, I just figured it was something else. 

And I said "limited," I didn't say non-existent. :)

It was the video.  They showed Ruzek copying it when he said he was going to delete it. And he told the guy black mailing him that he couldn't get access to Voight's computer (because Jay was sleeping in the break room the day he tried).

49 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

It was the video.  They showed Ruzek copying it when he said he was going to delete it. And he told the guy black mailing him that he couldn't get access to Voight's computer (because Jay was sleeping in the break room the day he tried).

Oh, ok - thanks! I missed that then.

But Ruzek could have bugged Voight's computer regardless of Jay sleeping. Just seemed like he couldn't go through with it, then found Jay. 

I think "Ratzek" is worse then, because he needs to be going after Voight, not Jay. Jay punched a guy; Voight kills people. Voight and maybe Al are the most corrupt. The others clearly have reservations and disagree with Voight. Plus Ruzek is no saint himself if we're looking at everyone. 

15 minutes ago, Guildford said:

I don't think this Rat story is cut & dried, not by a long shot. My bet still is that Ruzek is working with Voight to bring down Woods....but hey, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong.

I hope you're right, but I've been so disappointed in this season so far that I guess i don't really have faith in the writers to create a twist or something that interesting.  

• Love 1
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Oh, ok - thanks! I missed that then.

But Ruzek could have bugged Voight's computer regardless of Jay sleeping. Just seemed like he couldn't go through with it, then found Jay. 

Of course he could have, especially because on tv no one ever has a computer that is password protected, even though every computer in every place i have worked at for the last 17 years has required password accounts.

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, Kel Varnsen said:

Of course he could have, especially because on tv no one ever has a computer that is password protected, even though every computer in every place i have worked at for the last 17 years has required password accounts.

That we have to change every 60 days!  I leave mine written on a post-it note on my monitor.  Stop making me change it to things I can't ever remember...

But if Ruzek did turn in Jay instead of Voight, then IMO, without some sort of shocking twist that I never saw coming, Ruzek is nonredeemable.  

On 11/16/2017 at 6:04 PM, Kel Varnsen said:

I think when he looked over and saw Jay still fighting as the police announced their arrival he knew Jay was undercover and choose suicide over jail.  If breaking cover didn't work or they choose to take out the kidnapper first he probably would have turned his gun on the cops

On 11/16/2017 at 4:23 PM, FnkyChkn34 said:

Who knew Ruzek has a sister.  Or nephew.

If he did - and they are apparently very local - then why didn't they come up when Ruzek and Burgess were engaged and all the family members were meeting up?

Of course he could have, especially because on tv no one ever has a computer that is password protected, 

Total speculation here, but from what we know of Voight, I've always thought that he probably doesn't keep anything too consequential on his work computer. He knows how things work,