Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Warren's Wedding

2 hours ago, Richness said:

I don't like clowns. I don't like Juggaloes (or Zuggaloes). I don't like rap. I didn't like this episode. Hated it even. The only good part was Doc's giant mushroom comment.

Oh, I don’t know.  I thought Warren’s “cotton candy” rap was kinda... sweet.   ;)

High point: Warren being her old sexy, sassy badass self. Low point: pretty much everything else. Worse: (and I can't believe I'm saying this) the tenuous thread that has formed the shaky arc of this season has apparently been broken. Now they're going to Numerica. What's happened to the creative force that drove this sometimes zany series for three years? This episode could have been darkly hilarious; instead, it was mostly boring. Maybe there were some bits (how many zombies can you fit into a clown car?) but for the most part there was no payoff to even the most basic gag setup. For me, this episode is the lowest point in a season that's been filled with disappointments.

• Love 3

This episode picked up right after the events of last episode -- so what happened to the SUV that they were driving when they arrived at Bio-Mod ?

And where did they find the restaurant grease adapted beat-up pickup ?  Something like that would be worth it's weight in gold in the ZA. Because as Warren indicated, there are grease traps all over the place from old restaurants.

I actually liked this episode better than the previous ones this season.  I know that's not saying much considering how bad I think this season has been, but at least I smiled a couple of times.  I think Doc's one-liners have been the saving grace.

I wonder if the show has new writers?

10K: "This is weird.  A giant mushroom."
Doc: "Oh good. You see it too. I thought I was having a flashback."

Murphy: "Clowns ?"
Doc: "Could be worse -- could be mimes."

With that music playing constantly, why weren't the Zuggaloes inundated with Zs ?  Because there appeared a lot of Zs outside that clown car towards the end of the episode.

Zuggalo: "Let the games begin"
Murphy: "Games ?"
Doc: "I don't think he means Parcheesi."

Murphy (to Zuggalo King ): "I'm ..... gonna .... kill you."
Zuggalo King: "Dude, it's only set to wussy. We haven't even cranked it up yet."

• Love 1

This is not even the same show. I thought it started going off the rails last season. I have not been able to watch an entire episode this season. I'm done until they announce a series finale. 

Honestly, the only reason I haven't stopped watching is because I love Doc and 10k and if either one of them bites it, then I'm out.  I like Murphy and Sarge but, frankly, I'm getting tired of Warren.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I wonder if the show has new writers?

I have to agree. The writing is just not the same. I can't blame the actors because they have to work with what they get. The guest players were chewing hunks of scenery. I would have rather watched a lone 10K and Doc episode. Was I the only one who cringed each time the Clown Son was talking and posturing? 

This is not going on my Rewatch list. Started out well with the funeral then it went downhill. If they were trying to make the team more sympathetic killers by showing how totally unlikable, repellant people the Zoggalos were, well, that's not what I saw. Yes, people grieve in different ways but this episode dumbed down the characters to make the plot work. That's never a good thing. I would think they were immune to so-called ZSD by now.

The way the villains were portrayed trivialized the characters' trauma from Lucy's death. I get what the writers were trying for but even on paper this script should not have passed through. 

And we leave clown land for religion next week. Are the writers just going down the trope list? The major plot arcs of this season have been handled so badly. The Numerica/Vision flip flop was exhausting and now nearly intolerable (at least for me. YMMV).

• Love 2

Yeah, next week I guess it's Zombie Nuns.  Gag.

I really do feel bad for the actors because, yes, they have to work with what the writers give them.  This used to be such a fun show.  Now?  Not so much. 

6 hours ago, 51Muses said:

Was I the only one who cringed each time the Clown Son was talking and posturing? 

Nope, I was too, he was awful.  So was the mother,   I just wanted to yell SHUT UP!  I hate these characters who drone on and on and on and on.

This was not the way to deal with Murphy dealing with Lucy's death. 

I've been liking this season, except for this episode, which I thought was the worst of the series. 

• Love 2

I guess I'm the only one who liked this episode, even if did follow the "A Group meets the team and they all end up dead" motif they had going for a while. 

I liked the rap-off.  I've heard of the Juggalos, but never listened to their music, and the lyrics were fun.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, jhlipton said:

I guess I'm the only one who liked this episode, even if did follow the "A Group meets the team and they all end up dead" motif they had going for a while. 

I liked the rap-off.  I've heard of the Juggalos, but never listened to their music, and the lyrics were fun.

Yeah, but it did follow Murphy's synopsis of every place they go, from back in Episode 403.

Murphy: "Yeah, about this NewMerica thing, why we all going there again ?"
Lt. Mueller: "It's the only place to go. Actual civilization. Fortified. They have food, munitions, growing society."
Murphy: "Yeah, yeah, yeah, that sounds familiar."
Lt. Mueller: "What to you mean by that ?"
Murphy: "I mean I have heard that a hundred times before, and every time we get there it's some utopian cult freak show blah, blah, blah.  And then by the time we leave .... it's on fire."

• Love 3
3 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Murphy: "I mean I have heard that a hundred times before, and every time we get there it's some utopian cult freak show blah, blah, blah.  And then by the time we leave .... it's on fire."

Yeah, that was an excellent synopsis of what's happened to every group they've met (other than, perhaps, the native Americans -- nowhere near the Grand Canyon, of course!).

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, 51Muses said:

@mybabyaidan Addie was in the first episodes of this season then got separated (but alive) from the group. Anastasia Baranova is recurring on the Amazon series SYN. Who knows when/if Addie will be returning this season. 

Ahh, thanks.  She was my fav.  Bummed.

Just checked the ratings...Z Nation viewership is down 33%. The show's producers couldn't do a better job of killing it if they tried. Wonder what went fubar with the writing. <sigh> I really liked this show. Tragic to see it wheeze to such an end. But it hasn't been cancelled yet, although my optimism is pretty low at the moment.

29 minutes ago, 10kfever said:

Just checked the ratings...Z Nation viewership is down 33%. The show's producers couldn't do a better job of killing it if they tried. Wonder what went fubar with the writing. <sigh> I really liked this show. Tragic to see it wheeze to such an end. But it hasn't been cancelled yet, although my optimism is pretty low at the moment.

I would imagine that this is cheaper than many other SyFy shows (not a lot of special effects), so that may keep it alive longer.

1 hour ago, 10kfever said:

Ratings have no meaning in a vacuum; they are significant only in comparison to those of another show or shows.  

2/3 of previous ZN audiences may still be better than 80% of other SyFy shows - in which case ZN might be sticking around for a while yet....

On another topic entirely - anybody else besides me keep having Billy Idol’s “White Wedding” pop to mind every time you read the name of this episode...?  :>

• Love 1

Compared to other SyFy shows Z Nation is ranked 2nd. 

Current ratings of SyFy shows

The show is holding steady with the 18-49 demo and audience figures this season.

Z Nation Season 4 Current Ratings By Episode

It's one of the stronger shows for SyFy. I would think the network would be loath to lose the audience and demo share. It has a slew of new programs beginning in 2018 (Happy, Krypton, Con Man). There is already a lot of hype for the new shows but they still will need to build an audience. I can't think the network would scrap a show that is performing well for them economically and ratings-wise.

3 hours ago, Nashville said:

On another topic entirely - anybody else besides me keep having Billy Idol’s “White Wedding” pop to mind every time you read the name of this episode...?  :>

Raises hand!  Maybe if they'd used a punk theme instead it could have been edgier. 

Onward to this week's episode! I'm still on the train on the lookout for the black rainbow. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, 51Muses said:

It's one of the stronger shows for SyFy.

The other 3 in SyFy's top 4 (The Magicians, The Expanse , and Killjoys) are all SFX heavy, whereas Z Nation isn't -- that will certainly have an impact.

• Love 1

Maybe I'm just a conspiracy nut. Not really. But in searching for  Z Nations ratings, I found a lot of news about SYFY, as in "can it be saved"? If the entire ship is sinking, maybe the powers that be are looking for some kind of huge deficit that will look good in bankruptcy proceedings.

And ON TOPIC <g> the show could have been much better, even if we were stuck with so many bad scripts. The season thus far has focused on Warren and her visions. Now, I adore Warren, but I love her warrior goddess persona, not this uncertain, confused woman trying to interpret her visions. For this reason alone, things would have been much better if the other characters had been at the forefront of the plots, rather than Warren. Well, okay, there's no saving this last episode, but with more of the others featured, I think all the other episodes would have been more palatable.

• Love 1

SyFy has been cancelling some programs it does not own and culling those it does own. It is upping the ante by creating new shows it owns. The network would make more money if they owned the shows - merchandising, distribution, etc. The Asylum owns Z Nation. I suppose as long as SyFy doesn't feel that the show license is too expensive and the ratings are ok, the show may hang on.

I love Warren but I don't like the way she's sort of left hanging by the plot. If only they had explained a bit more about the visions to the audience if not to Warren. At least that would have allowed the audience to invest in Warren's journey of discovery. Or filled each episode with some meaty clues regarding the visions. I think we are supposed to wait for the big revelation. But revelations only have impact if you are interested in it to begin with. 

I'm starting to believe that there were script rewrites when some of the cast could not schedule the show in. So other characters were assigned bits that were supposed to go with the missing actors. I can see Addie as the ICP fan not Warren. Writer thinking : "Hey, maybe Warren's hubby was an ICP fan. She must know something about it. Yeah, that fits, kinda ... sideways."

Shall we make a list of the things we really want to know about? My list is: What is Citizen Z status - dead, alive, amnesiac wandering around NewMerica gazing northward? Why/How did Sun Mei and Red vanish? What happened to Warren during the coma? Addie is where? What shade of blue will Murphy be next - navy, indigo, cerulean, denim? 

Edited by 51Muses
Fixed a sentence
  • Love 2
On 11/11/2017 at 5:28 AM, 10kfever said:

the tenuous thread that has formed the shaky arc of this season has apparently been broken. Now they're going to Numerica. 

Yeah, I don't care what they do, just pick a direction and stick with it.  It's hard to care about all this back and forth with Warren's vision when we don't even know what it's all about anyway.

• Love 1
On 11/15/2017 at 12:59 AM, 51Muses said:

Shall we make a list of the things we really want to know about? My list is: What is Citizen Z status - dead, alive, amnesiac wandering around NewMerica gazing northward? Why/How did Sun Mei and Red vanish? What happened to Warren during the coma? Addie is where? What shade of blue will Murphy be next - navy, indigo, cerulean, denim? 

More generally, why/how did everyone in the convoy and camp (not just Sun Mei and Red) vanish, and where are they now? And what is the Reset? I don't have much hope that these questions will be answered by the end of the season, but the show is something to pass the time on the treadmill so I will keep watching.