Type keyword(s) to search

THE Triangle: Much Like Vampires It Sucks And Will NEVER Die!

Since TVD kind for started as a romantic drama the triangle was kind of the original premise. It did work well for a while and created "sides" which in some ways drove popularity of the show.

Unfortunately it really had outlived it's usefulness, but the writers and producers seem set on keeping it going.

This is a place for discussing frustrations with how this triangle is hurting the show now rather than helping it.

I really like Damon and Stefan's relationship. It is very messy and full of complications. Keeping Stefan tied to Elena while also keeping Damon feeling so insecure is ruining the brother bond, not to mention keeping their scenes together alone at a premium b/c they can't both be with Elena without things getting weird so usually one or the other is with Elena so they can't be together much.

(edited)

My problem with the ToS is not only that it's been drawn out for far longer than it ever should have, but because it's unneeded at it's very core and sets a bad example especially in this day and age. Why does Elena need to choose one brother or the other? It's obvious that she truly loves both of them (whether she should is another matter) so why is she restricted to that old and tired mentality of "relationships are between one man and one woman" and only one? This is a very close minded way of thinking in an time where open marriages exist, even if they are not yet commonplace and triangles like this only show people who are in a similar situation that this is how relationships should work instead of looking for other options.

Edited by immortalfrieza
(edited)

Because this show is on the CW and is still mostly targeted at teens, so there is no way in hell they're going to show an open, three-way relationship. This isn't HBO or Showtime. Personally I think the better question is why must she be with any Salvatore brother period. She has acknowledged she and Damon are toxic, she speaks like she and Stefan are past their romantic history, well shit spread your wings and step outside that little incestuous world.

But I'm not delusional enough to think that will happen. I mean the writers can't even make Stefan move on and have a life because they're that obsessed with servicing that lame ass triangle everyone is tired off. And that I think is the biggest thing hurting the show. Plec and company are so determined to keep this triangle going, no matter how much the ratings dip, that they're twisting their characters in all crappy inconsistent ways and creating the most contrived situations/storylines to do so.

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 1

I have to say I think Stefan does suffer the worst for the triangle at this point so I think his fans would be the most pissed about it.

At least when Damon loved Elena but couldn't be with her he was allowed to have flings even though they were never shown to matter to him. Stefan OTOH is just stuck b/c to keep his martyr status he can't be shown to move on or it would mean he doesn't love Elena enough. I do also feel at this point there are too many contrieved plots just to make the triangle work, which it doesn't anyway.

I don't know how they can continue to delude themselves that viewers even see it as a triangle at this point. I mean it seems clear Damon loves Elena, Elena loves Damon and Stefan loves Elena as a friend. Why can't Stefan have a new love interest? I would think even die hard Stelena fans can see there is no Stelena at this point.

• Love 1

I honestly think this thing has been well staked. I don't see Stefan as being emotionally tied to Elena like that anymore. It was a long time in coming, but I think he was a little disgusted by her decision to mindwipe herself. Beyond that, he's simply over these people. He's essentially where Damon was in early S4 from the look of things, except he actually said "screw it" and tried to peace out once his brother died. And the most significant emotional connection he has right now outside of Damon is with Caroline, and his new nemesis is Enzo (he said without laughing). I don't think the pursuit of Elena is relevant to him anymore, it's a part of his life that happened and is no longer happening, like how Matt has pretty much accepted it too.

(Remember how Matt used to date Elena? Neither do I)

Stefan will clearly always care about Elena, but I don't think he's felt love for her in a good long while. I wonder how much of that is Paul Wesley.

Edited by DigitalCount

I honestly think this thing has been well staked. I don't see Stefan as being emotionally tied to Elena like that anymore. It was a long time in coming, but I think he was a little disgusted by her decision to mindwipe herself. Beyond that, he's simply over these people. He's essentially where Damon was in early S4 from the look of things, except he actually said "screw it" and tried to peace out once his brother died. And the most significant emotional connection he has right now outside of Damon is with Caroline, and his new nemesis is Enzo (he said without laughing). I don't think the pursuit of Elena is relevant to him anymore, it's a part of his life that happened and is no longer happening, like how Matt has pretty much accepted it too.

Stefan will clearly always care about Elena, but I don't think he's felt love for her in a good long while. I wonder how much of that is Paul Wesley.

I definitely think Paul Wesley's opinion has crept into what we've seen onscreen.

I've seen a few interviews with the actor, while he is hilarious, gracious, and seems to really like his cast mates...he seems done with the triangle and done with the show as a close 2nd.

• Love 1

I think when Elena chose Damon at the end of S4 that was when Stefan kind of made a conscious decision that he just needs to move on. I think in the long run for Stefan his brother’s happiness means more to him than his own happiness. I also don’t think Stefan is in love with Vampire Elena. When Katherine was inhabiting Elena last season she asked him if he liked the girl she used to be better than what she is now and he dodges the question. I think Stefan will always care about Elena and love her as a friend but I just don’t see him being in love with her anymore. If I were him I wouldn’t want Elena back anyway, I mean how could he ever trust that she wouldn’t go back to Damon again.

This season kind of established that the triangle is basically dead. If they wanted to continue it they would have when Elena lost her memories but it was pretty clear even though she didn’t remember loving Damon she was no longer drawn to Stefan. Nina and Paul have great chemistry but this whole season I haven’t seen anything romantic between them, even the proposal scene was more funny and friendly than anything romantic.

The triangle has run its course. I like that the brothers are so close now and they don’t bicker over the same girl, in fact they each have their own separate girls.

I definitely think Paul Wesley's opinion has crept into what we've seen onscreen. I've seen a few interviews with the actor, while he is hilarious, gracious, and seems to really like his cast mates...he seems done with the triangle and done with the show as a close 2nd.

It seems like Paul Wesley has no problem voicing his opinion to the writers about his character. Even back in S2 he approached them about livening Stefan up a bit and they said don’t worry we got something in the works for S3. He’s also very pro Stefan/Caroline and talks about how much he’d like to see it happen in most of the interviews he’s done since S5. I admire the fact that he says what he feels, doesn't sugarcoat it, the fact that he's hilarious helps too. What’s really funny is Ian seems really pro Bonnie/Damon as well so it’s like both actors want nothing to do with Elena.

I think most of the cast is pretty done with the show at this point. I think next season will be the last and that’s the way it should be. Plus if any of the actors what to continue with their characters they could probably just crossover to the Originals.

• Love 7

I think most of the cast is pretty done with the show at this point. I think next season will be the last and that’s the way it should be. Plus if any of the actors what to continue with their characters they could probably just crossover to the Originals.

I actually read an article discussing the idea of Paul Wesley joining The Originals next season.

Basically it stated that PW was looking to move into other areas with his career, which seemed believable when you look at the projects he works on during his time off from TVD.  So basically TO and PW could benefit from Stefan being a reoccurring character.

TO- Possible additional fans from a crossover move.

PW- Stable paycheck but with the freedom to branch out.

Word to all this. I'm so glad Stefan seems over Elena he's always been the brother to walk away so I'm so happy he's getting away from that he's deserves more than that.

I was actually happy Stefan left Mystic Falls and started over I've been waiting for that for a long time than he had to come back ugh.

If Paul moves to TO, possibly with Caroline (?, it would make sense and make for some drama, I guess) that would be the end of the show. TVD plainly isn't strong enough to move on doing only the Delena Diaries.

Paul would be happy to join TO, I think. He likes the guy playing Elijah a lot.

Edited by Telepath

I'm not sure if they are still dating but the character of Haley has not improved since her move to New Orleans.

It's actually a common trend over on The Originals- the male leads are pretty awesome and the leading ladies range from dish water boring to claw my eyes out annoying..... Good times!

Is Paul still dating that girl over there?  I hated her on TVD and don't watch TO.  all I wanted for two seasons was to get the Originals off my screens on Thursday nights!

Paul is still dating Phoebe Tonkin, and yeah he and Daniel Gillies seem to have a nice bromance. But I don't think there's any way he'd go over to TO as more than a guest star. I think he's pretty done with being a vampire. He's done a few indie movies this year and I think that's the direction he wants to go.

But I don't think it would really matter in terms of the triangle, even if Paul left tomorrow, because Stelena is done. I honestly don't remember the last time JP or CD said anything about Stelena or the triangle. Maybe last season when they were hammering the last nails into the Stelena coffin? Regardless, I think we're on endgame track now because I don't think there's a chance the show goes past next season. Not with the current cast anyway.

I pretty much agree- Paul Wesley is not looking to get involved with another vampire show.

However depending on the financial benefits, I think it is possible he might agree to a re-occurring status or guest appearance.. Sorta like Claire Holt.

Maybe he could get involved in a new triangle in New Orleans, one where Stefan and Marcel fight to be Klaus's BFF!

Now that is a triangle I could get on board with!

• Love 1
On 12/27/2014 at 3:02 PM, GraceAnne said:

I pretty much agree- Paul Wesley is not looking to get involved with another vampire show.

However depending on the financial benefits, I think it is possible he might agree to a re-occurring status or guest appearance.. Sorta like Claire Holt.

Maybe he could get involved in a new triangle in New Orleans, one where Stefan and Marcel fight to be Klaus's BFF!

Now that is a triangle I could get on board with!

I know this old, but I love this.

That triangle would be the best triangle the TVD/TO world could ever present.

Klaus obviously loves Marcel like a son, but they have a serious feud going on, but Klaus has always had this odd fondness for Stefan.

As for the Delena/Stelena triangle, I think the writers always kind of kept it open, but to me it was clear that by the beginning of s6, they were never going to go back to Stelena even if they wanted to attempt to string us Stelena fans along. But the triangle was annoying from literally the first episode. Some triangles can be fun/intriguing, but this one was emotionally draining and quite disgusting.  

Now the Katherine/Damon/Stefan triangle- that was way more fun to watch. The show definitely underused flashbacks of this and just Katherine in general. Plus, Nina was really in her element as Katherine.