Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E08: He Kaha Luʻu Ke Ala, Mai Hoʻokolo Aku (The Trail Leads to a Diving Place; Do Not Follow After)

• Start Topic

I think the CBS intern who wrote the above synopsis didn’t actually watch the episode.  By the time Steve “posed” as a pilot, the case had been solved.   And Steve didn’t “pose” as a pilot, he was a pilot, i.e. he flew a plane.  I don’t think any effort was made to hide his identity, other than the cheesy nicknames all the pilots used.

Anyway, did anyone not think the NTSB guy was evil as soon as he appeared?  

Just because the Mexican cartel people were caught/killed doesn’t mean the daughter is safe.  I am sure Daddy can find more guys to drag her back home.

I would think the last place finisher in that air race might make enough to cover expenses.  Hopefully he saved some of his winnings alonng the way - although the hotel room she was in looked pretty damned expensive.

Edited by Mittengirl
  • Love 3

Worth the price of admission to watch Steve during and after that race.  In his mind, he was showing those amateurs how a REAL pilot can fly--I'm sure he believed that he was comfortably WINNING!--and probably setting speed records that would stand for years.

LOL as Danny called him a "maniac" and delusional Steve thought he had called him "Maverick"  (Google it if you have to) 

How refreshing to watch our great Commander Steve learn that he finished dead LAST. 

Also..."I feel the need--the need for Steve" 

• Love 2

At least Steve did not punch the guy. And really the NTSB guy was a big smug. But heard a lot more worse like FBI taking smug to a new level. Even though Five 0 can't do anything about him. The people in DC will do even more worse for him than Five 0. Seal or not.

He may not admit it but at times he too can be smug. At least Danny is there to keep him back to reality.

Yeah dead last as Steve always wants to be first no matter what.  Control freak indeed!

So what was the deal with the dead pilot taking the name of a guy who looked exactly like him but was taller? There didn't seem to be any connection -- at least not one that was explained -- between the dead pilot and the dead guy who scammed ... some other random guy, so how likely is it that dead pilot finds out he has a doppelganger who dies at the exact same moment he needs a new identity because he's on the run from his murderous father-in-law?

Tani's brother was watching a TV that didn't have an antenna or cable hooked up to it. I know the era of the CRT is long done but TVs still need a means for the signal to come in.

Speaking of Tani's brother, I thought she was trying to keep him out of trouble. Did it occur to her what might happen to him if he got caught robbing the evidence locker in a federal investigation?

Also, do none of these agencies have cameras? 5-0 HQ doesn't have cameras? If Steve wanted to know how his mystery evidence came to land on his desk he might want to check. Then again, I can buy that he was being coy about it and "forgot" to check the cameras. The NTSB guys can't say the same thing.

I don't know much about the NTSB beyond what I read in "Sully" (and commentary on the movie that notes the NTSB investigators were portrayed as villains in the movie but the real Capt. Sullenberger had no such difficulties with them at any time) but it seems unreasonable to me that one guy from that agency could be assigned to monitor one particular company and no one would notice that this guy was getting rich on the side. My impression of the NTSB is that when they investigate something you don't get a choice as to which particular agent is in charge of that investigation to prevent situations just like the one this show tried to give us.

I appreciated that Steve came in last. It's a refreshing change from the Steve of seasons past who could do absolutely anything the plot called for and could do it better than anyone else.

• Love 3

*phew* I was sure McGarrett was about to set a new record and win that thing - him being last was truly refreshing.

The NTSB must have horrible security - Tani's brother doesn't strike me as a skilled cat burglar yet he somehow managed to waltz into their evidence locker and get that thing for his sister. I wonder if he also waltzed into the 5-0 HQ and deposited it on McGarrett's desk on his own or if he handed it over to Tani outside. Either way McGarrett could have solved the mystery if he had really wanted to. It seemed pretty clear that he knew Tani had been involved and just decided to play dumb. Considering all the shady stuff the team has been doing over the years that one hardly registers.

14 hours ago, fishcakes said:

So what was the deal with the dead pilot taking the name of a guy who looked exactly like him but was taller? There didn't seem to be any connection -- at least not one that was explained -- between the dead pilot and the dead guy who scammed ... some other random guy, so how likely is it that dead pilot finds out he has a doppelganger who dies at the exact same moment he needs a new identity because he's on the run from his murderous father-in-law?

The plot fairy sprinkled a lot of contrivance dust over the coffee table in the writers' room.

• Love 1

McGarrett was able to look the NTSB guy in the eye and truthfully say that he didn't know how it got there.  That was actually a good thing, but I still laughed because they've never been worried about that kind of thing before, so why start now?

(edited)
10 hours ago, kassygreene said:

Evidence tampering?  By killing the chain of custody, it kind of became useless in any legal proceeding.

Plus, sorry, as far as I can tell NTSB don't issue a report in just a few days.  And Mayday! / Air Disasters / Air Crash Investigation has taught me that at its best NTSB doesn't generalize or assume, no matter how tempting it would be.... 

I was gonna agree with you because it sounded right, but I decided to consult Google first & I'm glad I did. This says a preliminary report is actually generally available online within a few days. Factual information is added when available, and when the investigation is completed, the preliminary report is replaced with a final description of the accident & its probable cause.

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add comments. Then to correct a comment.

Steve even being able to clear the pylons after ZERO training wasn't very believable, but par for the course for this show.  So it was kind of refreshing to see him finish last.

On 12/3/2017 at 6:02 AM, MissLucas said:

It seemed pretty clear that he knew Tani had been involved and just decided to play dumb. Considering all the shady stuff the team has been doing over the years that one hardly registers.

AQ key piece of evidence was stolen from a federal facility, McGarrett knows that Tani is involved and tells her "You'll fit right in".  And he's right -- that's just a normal day for 5-0.

Edited by jhlipton
Corrected Tani's name
19 hours ago, jhlipton said:

Steve even being able to clear the pylons after ZERO training wasn't very believable, but par for the course for this show.  So it was kind of refreshing to see him finish last.

AQ key piece of evidence was stolen from a federal facility, McGarrett knows that Tami is involved and tells her "You'll fit right in".  And he's right -- that's just a normal day for 5-0.

The character's name is Tani, with an N.