Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Chapter Eighteen: When A Stranger Calls

• Start Topic

15 hours ago, methodwriter85 said:

...Josie and Cheryl were friends early on in the show. They've just completely ignored that. There's a reason why Josie is the first one to comfort her.

They've shown the friendship -- AFAIK it was referenced when Josie joined the River Vixens.

• Love 1
On 11/12/2017 at 2:32 AM, Dee said:

When did Bughead graduate from casually dating to love of each others lives?

I was wondering that too. I mean, they're young and were in their first serious relationship together. They're cute but I never saw it as serious since young hearts can be fickle and the person we are at 16 is rarely who we are at 21 let alone 26, 36, and so on. The CW likes to pull that young love is the greatest love of all trick since its viewership skews young so I somewhat expected Riverdale to try its hand at it too. I just can't invest in it cause it's doing too much, plus it starts to affect the stories if the writers main concern is keeping certain couples together at the expense of stronger, more interesting stories (see just about any other The CW show for examples). Now I am patiently waiting for dry as hell Varchie to break up so both Archie and Veronica can find [multiple] partners that they have some real sparks with instead of the try-hard sexy attempt I see when they're onscreen. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

Now I am patiently waiting for dry as hell Varchie to break up so both Archie and Veronica can find [multiple] partners that they have some real sparks with instead of the try-hard sexy attempt I see when they're onscreen. 

I think their "romance" scenes are funny. Veronica clearly envisions herself as a seductive vixen, and makes a bit of a production out of it. But her youth still shows through the cracks. It seems deliberately like she's trying to imitate sexy setups she's seen in movies or something, rather than it happening organically, which is totally something Veronica would do. Meanwhile, as far as I remember, Archie NEVER initiates anything with her, he just goes along with it. Why should he have to make an effort? Girls chase HIM. It isn't terribly hot but it is in character.

• Love 6

This may sound crazy but the only person I ever personally saw Archie had romantic chemistry with is Cheryl, not sure what it is but I would find that interesting for the show to explore. That being said, i'm fairly sure the show is going with a Archie/Veronica and Betty/Jug as end game pairings but still, I would like to see Archie with Cheryl.

• Love 9

I like the potential in Archie and Cheryl too. I liked how sweet he was to her and how appreciative she was. Also, since she had a creepy vibe with her brother who supposedly looks a lot like Archie, it kind of makes sense in a Flower in the Attic kind of way. lol Cheryl is strong enough to counter Archie's wimpiness. Alas, like you, I don't think the show will ever go there. Too bad. The two actors have nice chemistry. I don't dislike Archie and Veronica as a pair, but I don't really feel it either. Veronica seems kind of desperate while Archie seems rather indifferent. Betty and Juggy, however, work for me on all levels, the actors have natural chemistry, the storyline is intriguing enough, and both seem fully invested in the relationship. Unfortunately, because they seem to be the popular pairing, they will be put through every cliché relationship problem the writers have ever seen or read or heard about. 

• Love 7
13 minutes ago, Thundercatmary said:

This may sound crazy but the only person I ever personally saw Archie had romantic chemistry with is Cheryl, not sure what it is but I would find that interesting for the show to explore. That being said, i'm fairly sure the show is going with a Archie/Veronica and Betty/Jug as end game pairings but still, I would like to see Archie with Cheryl.

But what if they're secretly half-siblings?!?! Or cousins? And would you really want to date someone who thinks your dad is "DILFy" and maybekindaprobably was in love with her brother? Never mind; this is Archie, who had no problem with hooking up with a teacher, nor was his dad (who also flirted with said teacher) particularly concerned about it. These people do not have normal boundaries.

Archie and Cheryl should totally date. He seemed to like being sucked into the Blossom vortex before. Without creepy Mr. Blossom around, and with Penelope under Cheryl's control for the time being, maybe they could have some real fun.

• Love 1

I don’t know who I want with Archie. Not Betty, I feel like they’re really forcing that into a romantic thing and it’s making Their scenes together kind of annoying, I just don’t get romantic vibes. I used to like him with Veronica but like others have said not much anymore- maybe because their scenes this entire season is all “sexy and hot!!!” And nothing else. Maybe Cheryl? Although I want more for her too. The problem might be that Archie is just.. not an interesting character for me. KJ seems nice enough and funny and charming but Archie is such a dud.

Edited by WhosThatGirl
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

. I don't dislike Archie and Veronica as a pair, but I don't really feel it either. Veronica seems kind of desperate while Archie seems rather indifferent.

Yes. Thats what I've been noticing. He just doesnt get it! Im thinking that as sexy and confident as veronica is, she might feel a lot of pressure because of betty and archie's maybe-insecurities, because of the whole post-shooting that shes just being very overeager with making things work with Archie. 

7 hours ago, WhosThatGirl said:

I don’t know who I want with Archie. Not Betty, I feel like they’re really forcing that into a romantic thing and it’s making Their scenes together kind of annoying, I just don’t get romantic vibes. I used to like him with Veronica but like others have said not much anymore- maybe because their scenes this entire season is all “sexy and hot!!!” And nothing else. Maybe Cheryl? Although I want more for her too. The problem might be that Archie is just.. not an interesting character for me. KJ seems nice enough and funny and charming but Archie is such a dud.

They are going to have to provide a hell of a good and covincing story to sell barchie..Barchie as friends is more solid thought, more natural...

I liked cheryl and archie, he seemed concerned about her and she needs someone innocent, down to earth, to lighten her life. I liked them in ep 9. 

Never understood myself the appeal for Archie, being the playboy that he is. What a slut! Lol....

Edited by PeekaBoo
  • Love 3

One observation I forgot about earlier - when they were all partying with jingle jangle at the next-level "Five Seasons" and Nick and Veronica were tossing around stories about their party days. They told some anecdote that included running into Gal multiple times, and then clarified they meant Gal Gadot. I don't remember who exactly clarified (Nick or V, but I think it was V), but I think they pronounced Gadot like Gah-doe when it's really Gah-dot. The "t" is not silent. I'll admit for a long time I thought the "t" was silent, but it just makes the story seem really silly if you know they're pronouncing it wrong. The whole point of the story is how they rub elbows with these famous people on a first-name basis and have to explain to these rubes who the famous friends are, but they mispronounce the name.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, sweetandsour said:

The whole point of the story is how they rub elbows with these famous people on a first-name basis and have to explain to these rubes who the famous friends are, but they mispronounce the name.

They may be on a first name basis with these celebs but clearly they are not on a last name basis. lol

I always found Veronica to be posturing. Like she's kind of exaggerating how awesome her life was pre-Riverdale. This just confirms her poserness.

• Love 5
21 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

They may be on a first name basis with these celebs but clearly they are not on a last name basis. lol

I always found Veronica to be posturing. Like she's kind of exaggerating how awesome her life was pre-Riverdale. This just confirms her poserness.

This is a repeating theme for her...namedropping people and places, mispronouncing things like "bon mot" and "Gadot". Even the pearl necklace that Hiram gave her, which she yanked off in the school restroom, sending the pearls scattering. A good quality pearl necklace will not do that. The pearls are individually hand-knotted onto silk cord. If you break it, at most you lose a couple pearls. She's trying really hard to seem more sophisticated and upscale than she really is. I don't doubt that the Lodge family has enjoyed vast ill-gotten financial privilege, but they aren't as comfortably enmeshed in the upper class as Veronica likes to pretend. I assume that when she mentions some celeb as if they are a bestie, that means she ran into them one time. She's pretentious.

• Love 3

I don’t know how I feel about this season. It’s been a week and I’ve been ruminating my feelings that this season is really really too dark. A little too dark to pull back from and I’ve watched a lot of shows but something about this season feels a little much that it’s like “how can they make this work and pull back from it?” 

I don’t know. I’ve just been feeling off centered with it. We will see I guess. I mean look I don’t care if Nick ST. Clair lives or dies, he’s an awful person who probably did assault other girls based on what we saw of him but if he does end up dead based on his name being the one Betty gave to the Black Hood, obviously that’s going to be real tormenting for Betty, even more than what she’s dealing with now.

This season just really seems to be a pile on the characters and I don’t know how I feel about it as a whole. 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Bugs Meany said:

It was Cheryl who said “Ga-doe.” To be fair, everyone (mis)pronounces it that way. For the record it’s Ga-dote.

But if Veronica were really friends with her (WHY would Gal Gadot want to hang with the teens?!), wouldn't Veronica have known the correct pronunciation and mentioned it when Cheryl said it wrong?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Enginerd said:

But if Veronica were really friends with her (WHY would Gal Gadot want to hang with the teens?!), wouldn't Veronica have known the correct pronunciation and mentioned it when Cheryl said it wrong?

Here's the entire exchange. I don't think we're to infer that they're actually friends; just that they kept running into her one night.

On 11/14/2017 at 9:47 PM, Bugs Meany said:

It was Cheryl who said “Ga-doe.” To be fair, everyone (mis)pronounces it that way. For the record it’s Ga-dote.

I've always thought a reliable marker that your Hollywood stock is really up is if you have a less-than-straightforward name and people pronounce it correctly. I feel like Keanu enjoyed a certain level of success before the average person knew how his name was really pronounced. Lots of kee-new thrown around at first until people started getting it right and it was clear, "dude has made it." Cheryl's mistake doesn't surprise me, but that was a perfect opportunity for Nick and/or V to keep posturing in their education of the rubes, except I don't think they know the pronunciation, either. In hindsight, I don't think this meant anything on the show itself. I think the actors and production just think it's Gah-doe, too. Though I've noticed a couple of odd pronunciations/emphasis/inflections from Cheryl before, in particular in the pilot. She put weird emphasis in taboo and hostess, but maybe that was intentional - like a hoity-toity rich person accent.  That's how they grew up at Thornhill.

• Love 3
(edited)

Fashionably late to the party here, but watching Alice Cooper strut into that open house in that over the top, homage to her roots getup to Thunder was worth sitting through every ridiculously extra-ass plot twist this show has thrown out there. 

It was just that good. 

Edited by Rowan
  • Love 5