Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

Ah, Stefan. So imperious, yet so much more polite than some people who regularly barge into people's homes in a frothing mix of entitlement and rudeness. (Skip to about 1:48 if you want to avoid stupid Katherine Bell)

Edited by Melgaypet
  • Love 1
21 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Honestly, only Nik pairing I ever really wanted. Damn you Steven Burton sir.

Robin/Nikolas were a huge missed opportunity, I agree. I don't get why the show never went there. It couldn't have only been Burton. They also could have done a legit Patrick/Robin/Nikolas triangle.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Like this one? The video quality's not great, but ohhhhh, it slays me. Stefan's unique brand of compassion and Lucky's FACE at the end. Tears

Oh yes, definitely the most substantial scene between them, like I said before, which is a shame, that that's all there is. His look at the end is great (a pal of mine said, he actually looked like he aged at the end), but that look of dawning horror when Stefan talks about Laura's capacity for forgiveness is fantastic as well. He knows Stefan is telling the truth then.

I'm sorry, preaching to the choir, but darkness my ass. Lucky would never ever walk away through some bullshit excuse of darkness. He has a side that can be extremely petty and cruel, same as Lulu. But not to the point where he thought he could wreck his kids. He would at least try.

There was a great scene when JJ came back, Helena tried to do that pseudo-flirtation with Lucky same as she did with Luke, and Lucky didn't try to banter back, he just said "I'm not my father, we're not gonna have some witty exchange, you hurt anyone I love, I'll retaliate." I thought it encapsulated the difference between Luke and Lucky quite well.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, Melgaypet said:

Robin/Nikolas were a huge missed opportunity, I agree. I don't get why the show never went there. It couldn't have only been Burton. They also could have done a legit Patrick/Robin/Nikolas triangle.

In the '98, yeah, I think it was all due to Burton. Later, it kinda felt like the boat passed but I certainly would have been okay with them attempting it.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Honestly, only Nik pairing I ever really wanted. Damn you Steven Burton sir.

There was so much potential there. Stefan warning Robin to stay away, Helena *thanking* Robin and Robin shunning her. That scene in particular is kinda chilling now, just knowing what ultimately happens to Robin at the hands of the Cassadines. 

I don't know why it ultimately didn't happen. Obviously KMc left in early '99, but also, the show didn't mess with JnR before that either. SBu clearly didn't want to be paired with SJB, but I always thought it was interesting that even when Robin went to school or when JnR broke up and she went to Paris, they were still in love. Jason never hooked up or did anything with anyone else. That would never happen in 2016.

• Love 1
11 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

How did Stefan go from *normal* Cassadine to evil Cassadine?

It was pretty much the stroke of a pen. I believe he left in 2001, came back in 2003. The scene in which he came back, he saw Emily in the house and grabbed her arm and told her to please leave. I remember thinking, grabbing her arm isn't like him at all. He acted nuts and violent after that, not like his first stint at all. Stefan wasn't moral, but he looked down at violence as a crude way to accomplish things. Luke killed him and his last word was "Nikolas" and that was pretty much the only moment that resembled his previous stint.

ETA well Luke also made Stefan stand a mock trial and Stefan explained that everything he had done had been done for Nikolas (he had debts and tried to make Nikolas agree to an arranged marriage to pay them off, because unknown to Nikolas they were threatening Nikolas ). That was the only other moment that felt true to his character.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5

It was weird. He left, to live in Milan to mourn Chloe, I think - which reminds me that I liked them together and I was super-annoyed that RKK!Stavros killed her - and came back crazy.  I admit, I'd happily be all "Reasons. Helena!" if they'd fix that somehow. Evil doppelganger, or he was brainwashed or being drugged with crazy pills or had a microchip in his brain, anything, because that was not the Stefan Cassadine I knew.

• Love 7

I'm pretty sure Guza was always interested in Nikolas and Robin. He went to that well many times, as late as 2006(?) with the Jerry Jacks caper where Nik got poisoned by him or something. But they never quite did it for whatever reason. And they did always have great chemistry.

I think the whole business with Lucky's 'darkness' - with the scenes heavily rewritten by JJ and TG to actually sound like the real GH - was a classic Ron Carlivati story lure to lay something out long-term despite not having the actor. Based on scuttlebutt going back a few years I think it was all about Lucky's brainwashing by Helena and his still being psychologically troubled and her maybe still having her hooks into him, and it was a tidy (in Ron's mind, anyway) excuse to keep Lucky out of Port Charles. Which he would of course resolve someday, eventually. In five to ten years.

I thought the return setup for Stefan and Tyler's Nikolas was excellent, up to and including him interfering re: Emily and the love triangle with Zander. It was what actually transpired in the scripts and long-term story that was shit. You could've told dynamite story without assassinating Stefan and Zander both figuratively and physically.

Edited by jsbt
  • Love 4
41 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

GH used to have a lot of soul. It's tragic how superficial and stupid the writing is now.

The show doesn't make you feel anymore. Romances, families, friendships, etc, used to be written in a way where the viewer would be heartbroken if something ever happened to tear X and Y apart. Characters would have deep, emotional dialogue and meaningful conversations. I've seen nothing like that for yeaaaars on GH.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 2

The Daytime Emmys taking advantage of Mark Hamill being on GH for 5 minutes in the early 70's for the 40th anniversary in 2003. Also, some of these montages were blatantly stolen from the show's 35th anniversary special in 1998. LAZY.

And ew, Brian Frons at the end. Gross.

Edited by UYI
8 hours ago, LeftPhalange said:

Ew at her smugness. Did she think she was working at a successful primetime show?

Guza (or as I call him, Bootleg Elton John) certainly acted like he did.

Edited by UYI
Because my jokes are funny.
  • Love 1

Speaking of Johnny, this kiss was great. The little smile of his when he realized she was gonna kiss him back, so cute. I do not understand whyyyyy Lulu had to stay chaste while Dante was freaking dating Valerie, wtf

• Love 2

Jason: Max, why are you questioning me!?!?

Me: 'Cause you're dumb as shit, take a damn seat!!!!

Michael's life has been so fucked up. Leave it to GH to make him Perfect Son in the Perfect Family. *Carly Chuckle*

45 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Speaking of Johnny, this kiss was great. The little smile of his when he realized she was gonna kiss him back, so cute. I do not understand whyyyyy Lulu had to stay chaste while Dante was freaking dating Valerie, wtf

I don't understand why they had Dante/Lulu get back together so quickly after the complete destruction. Give the audience TIME. Let the divorce stick for a bit and reconnect them later. 

• Love 4
33 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Jason: Max, why are you questioning me!?!?

Me: 'Cause you're dumb as shit, take a damn seat!!!!

Michael's life has been so fucked up. Leave it to GH to make him Perfect Son in the Perfect Family. *Carly Chuckle*

I don't understand why they had Dante/Lulu get back together so quickly after the complete destruction. Give the audience TIME. Let the divorce stick for a bit and reconnect them later. 

Because it got such bad feedback and because they don't care, so they slapped them back together. (Unlike Franco, where they get bad feedback but they care so they try to write some depth for him.) I think it would have felt less slapped together if Dante went to her, but no, it was her in a red dress who went to his apartment and made the first move to try again.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Because it got such bad feedback and because they don't care, so they slapped them back together. (Unlike Franco, where they get bad feedback but they care so they try to write some depth for him.) I think it would have felt less slapped together if Dante went to her, but no, it was her in a red dress who went to his apartment and made the first move to try again.

It's baffling, seriously. For the writers not to realize that Dante should have been on his knees with snot flying out of his nose, begging for forgiveness. How, as a professional storyteller, do you fuck that up?

This show, especially under Frank, continuously takes the emotion out of everything. No one can be mad, no one can hate each other, unless it fits a specific plot they want at the moment. Hayden/Liz are sisters? They must fight! Liz screwed Sam's husband and tried to marry him? Oh, well, that story is over, Sam is fine. Sonny killed AJ? Oh, well, that story is over, Michael and Monica are A-OK! Valerie slept with Dante? Oh, well, that story is over, Lulu is great!

Stories should always have lasting effects on characters. This is a random example, but Mac never liked Jason. Never. Mac didn't suddenly get over it once Robin was gone and that particular plot was over. It carried on. 

• Love 7
On 9/10/2016 at 2:05 AM, ulkis said:

In the '98, yeah, I think it was all due to Burton. Later, it kinda felt like the boat passed but I certainly would have been okay with them attempting it.

Honestly, when Jerry was forcing Robin/Nik to be a couple for idiotic reasons, I think it was a way for the show to test them. However, IMO, while TC/KMc may have had chemistry in the '90s, I saw none once KMc came back in 2005.

I'm thinking just maybe TIIC thought the same...

• Love 2
8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I'm thinking just maybe TIIC thought the same...

Eh, I don't think that's why. I'd say it's more that both Robin and Nik were already in extremely popular pairings and they were playing those couples moreso than having Nik and Robin turn romantic for real.

I thought KMc and Ty always had great friendship chemistry, especially, though. I always enjoyed their scenes.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, ulkis said:

I do not understand whyyyyy Lulu had to stay chaste while Dante was freaking dating Valerie, wtf

I didn't want to see Dante and Lulu revenge dating, so I'm glad nothing between Lulu and Johnny never happened at the time. That said, the show totally misused Brandon Barash, but that's nothing new, alas.

• Love 2

I didn't need her dating, but a ONS would have been good, I think.

ETA.Jinx, leftphalange! Or Johnny could have revealed it over his shoulder as they carted him back to prison. There would have been the added sting of Lulu preferred to keep quiet and protect Johnny than rub it in Dante's face.

Dante took it for granted I think that she would just be waiting there for him, even if he claimed otherwise.

Edited by ulkis
  • Love 4

I find it intensely annoying that Laura's and Liz's rapes define them, but Michael's is practically dead and buried history. UGH.

@dubbel zout I don't think. I just don't think they've really had a reason to bring it up lately. But given what they're trying to do with Franco, yeah, they might not bring it up again.

Ew, how did Michael want to have sex with Kiki after listening to them all night?

This is funny:

Morgan: eyes of my girlfriend's rack, Morgan.

Michael: What, are you a feminism studies major now, Morgan?

That clip, man. Those characters are the "young love" representation of this show. SMH. Alderson is just awful, my eyes, my eyes. I'm gonna go back to watching Lucky sing to Elizabeth and Jason having 2-minute monologues on how much he misses Robin. 

• Love 2
11 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

That clip, man. Those characters are the "young love" representation of this show. SMH. Alderson is just awful, my eyes, my eyes. I'm gonna go back to watching Lucky sing to Elizabeth and Jason having 2-minute monologues on how much he misses Robin. 

I stopped it after another minute lol. Pretty unbearable.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, ulkis said:

I stopped it after another minute lol. Pretty unbearable.

It was atrocious. And it's mindblowing how much this show crapped on love and romance. The difference in dialogue on Frank's GH is just...astonishing. It's like a combo of actors no longer really caring and the writers failing to spend the time to portray real, deep emotional love.

2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Morgan: eyes of my girlfriend's rack, Morgan.

LOL at CD's "Boobies!" face.

2 hours ago, ulkis said:

Seriously, why isn't Carly still acting like that towards Kiki?!

Lauren is doing the heavy lifting when it comes to Morgan; Carly owes her something.

I loved that haircut of LW's.

• Love 2

Aw, look, it's one of Ron's loving "AJ is the size of the Goodyear blimp" chestnuts.

AJ:  You want to see me?  Here at the office.  The gym.

MICHAEL:  You never go to the gym.

AJ:  Shut up!

Man, I don't know how they captured these scenes without a wide-angle lens!  SK probably exited the show because it was too expensive for Frank to pay to widen all the set door frames.

• Love 3

Every  time I see that clip, I reach for my  RC voodoo doll because not only did he cheat me out of Carly/AJ - he killed AJ off, had her cover it up and did Carly/Franco instead

So many terrible fucking decisions all at once

Edited by Oracle42
  • Love 9
35 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

Every  time I see that clip, I reach for my  RC voodoo doll because not only did he cheat me out of Carly/AJ - he killed AJ off, had her cover it up and did Carly/Franco instead

So many terrible fucking decisions all at once

He had this weird problem with pairing ALL the wrong characters.

• Love 3

Which was especially transparent when he brought in Franco/Kiki/Silas and repaired them with the same actors, sense be damned. 

"Who cares if Carly would never touch the SERIAL KILLER who got her son raped with a 10-ft pole!"

"Who cares if Sam might not want to get involved with the identical twin of the serial killer with a vampire fetish who tried to kill her!" 

"Who cares if Michael and Starr were dull as dirt!"

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 10