Type keyword(s) to search

GH History Lessons: Because History is Always Repeating Itself

• Start Topic

52 minutes ago, LeftPhalange said:

I don't see MB on that list. And young lead actress HE has to be higher up than that.

He's at the top.

56 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

I'm laughing at how much Sam and Jason are on doing absolutely nothing.

Anna too. And she was gone all summer! Did she really spend that much time earlier this year going on about justice for Duke? Egads.

51 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

MB is at the top with 151. Miller, who's next in line, has 132. There's no reason Sonny has to be in 65 percent of the episodes.

Someone had to fill Geary's shoes[/Frank logic]

• Love 2

MB's episode count allows FV TO continue to push Ava, Julian, Hayden, Finn, Kiki, Claudette and the murderhobo.

Sonny, Carly, Jason, Sam, Liz and Maxie are on-screen but they have no story. Liz's entire raison d'être is justifying the murderhobo's existence and tying Hayden/Rachel to the cast. It's December and the only character who has anything resembling an Emmy reel is LW. 

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

MB's episode count allows FV TO continue to push Ava, Julian, Hayden, Finn, Kiki, Claudette and the murderhobo.

Sonny, Carly, Jason, Sam, Liz and Maxie are on-screen but they have no story. Liz's entire raison d'être is justifying the murderhobo's existence and tying Hayden/Rachel to the cast. It's December and the only character who has anything resembling an Emmy reel is LW. 

NLG too.

I'm not a Lulu fan (well, except when JMB's Lulu was pissed at/disgusted by Scotty for what seemed like stalking of Laura, and also regarding his rage at Lulu for 'murdering my son' - you know, the guy who impaled himself after attacking Lulu and Maxie. The guy who had never been parented by Scott, who barely knew Scott). 

Disagree, I think Scott had a right to his emotions and everyone was acting insensitive jerks towards him. Karen was also never parented by Scott, did he not have a right to be upset and anger that she was killed as well? Killed, I might add around (or even on!) the same day Logan was killed. Scott and Logan may not have known each other well, but they had been interacting for a few months with the last month or so Logan appeared to be warming up to Scott, or using him, but Scott wanted to make up for the lost time, like he was able to with Karen. I actually was pretty disgusted with how a man that found out a second adult child was killed was being presented. It seemed no one made any effort to contact him, Serena (who was with him in the Carribean), or even Lucy (not sure if Lee or Gail is still a live in GH world). I guess voicemail sort of counts. Nik gave the news with as much sympathy as telling him the kitchen was out of his favorite meal, then him and Tracy got into protect-Lulu mode because he would be understandably pissed, pretty much dismissing his feelings.

Edited by Ambrosefolly
  • Love 4

Karen's death, and Scott's relationship to her, was a completely different situation. Karen was on GH for a while, had connections with Jagger, Q Family, and others (including Scott), then died off-screen years later ... having never threatened, stalked or harmed anyone weaker or smaller than herself.  Sure Scott gets to be upset that Logan is dead. My issue is in the way he went at Lulu. From his tone and on-going attitude, you'd think Logan was his beloved son he'd raised from birth, and that Lulu had viciously murdered his innocent boy.  He glazed over the fact that Logan went after Maxie, then Lulu. To turn his own guilt over Logan around into victim-blaming is gross. (Regardless of Logan's mental state.) He made it worse by later blackmailing Laura into leaving the mental hospital with him, by saying if she didn't he would make sure Lulu was held accountable for "murder." Scott was about getting what he wanted and trying to absolve himself of guilt - not about getting justice for a beloved son. 

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Bringonthedrama said:

Karen's death, and Scott's relationship to her, was a completely different situation. Karen was on GH for a while, had connections with Jagger, Q Family, and others (including Scott), then died off-screen years later ... having never threatened, stalked or harmed anyone weaker or smaller than herself.  Sure Scott gets to be upset that Logan is dead. My issue is in the way he went at Lulu. From his tone and on-going attitude, you'd think Logan was his beloved son he'd raised from birth, and that Lulu had viciously murdered his innocent boy.  He glazed over the fact that Logan went after Maxie, then Lulu. To turn his own guilt over Logan around into victim-blaming is gross. (Regardless of Logan's mental state.) He made it worse by later blackmailing Laura into leaving the mental hospital with him, by saying if she didn't he would make sure Lulu was held accountable for "murder." Scott was about getting what he wanted and trying to absolve himself of guilt - not about getting justice for a beloved son. 

The fact that Scott had more of a relationship with Karen than with Logan is a contributing that he felt more rage towards his death, not to mention the fact that he had a bigger support system when she died, including Serena still with him at the time. He didn't glaze over the fact that Logan went after Maxie and then Lulu--he had no fucking clue because they all first tried to cover it up, then Johnny taking the rap, then going on the run. I also made sure to watch, he still believed Johnny got away with murder after the letters to Lulu was sent, meaning he probably didn't send the letters. Then there is Guza own 1 dimensional writing that decided to paint Scott has Snidley Whiplash.

• Love 1

Michael going on a rampage against Sonny and Carly didn't really improve him in particular for me, but I have to admit this line is pretty beautiful:

CARLY: Everything was about protecting you. And you know what? I’d do it again. You want to know why?
MICHAEL: Because you’re a horrible, deceitful person?

So blunt and straight to the point, lol.

• Love 9

Nothing tops this to me. Yes, I saved this. Yes, 1998 Robin fist-bumped 2016 Michael. 

Carly: Sabrina slept with Carlos behind your back. She got pregnant with his child and she tried to pass that baby off as yours. 

Michael: Oh, yeah, no one's ever done that before, certainly not you.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Nothing tops this to me. Yes, I saved this. Yes, 1998 Robin fist-bumped 2016 Michael. 

Carly: Sabrina slept with Carlos behind your back. She got pregnant with his child and she tried to pass that baby off as yours. 

Michael: Oh, yeah, no one's ever done that before, certainly not you.

I think the writers knew they would be struck by lightning if they had Michael ignore that remark, heh.

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I think the writers knew they would be struck by lightning if they had Michael ignore that remark, heh.

It's also how the relationship between Michael and Carly always should have been. They never should have essentially been this "heartwarming family" with Sonny and Co. Michael should have always been resentful as fuck. It was written so, so wrong.

It's a shame we never got a serious scene between Robin and Michael, as well. She basically raised him for the first year of his life and is the reason he even got to know his real father.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

She never got Jason to love her and that satisfies me.

That definitely satisfies me, but I can't even give the show credit for that.  SBu was the main reason she had to take that L.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KerleyQ said:

That definitely satisfies me, but I can't even give the show credit for that.  SBu was the main reason she had to take that L.  

Which is why I just can't hate SBu like some do. He gave 100% to my fave ship of his AND looked nauseated every time Carly wanted something. I call this being blessed.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, HeatLifer said:

Which is why I just can't hate SBu like some do. He gave 100% to my fave ship of his AND looked nauseated every time Carly wanted something. I call this being blessed.

I love how in Kim's interview with him, she was like, "you always give things 100% effort" and he was like " . . . I think you're giving me too much credit" heh.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, ulkis said:

I love how in Kim's interview with him, she was like, "you always give things 100% effort" and he was like " . . . I think you're giving me too much credit" heh.

Bwah! He did with her, though! She probs had no idea what was going on in his other scenes.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 1
On Tuesday, December 06, 2016 at 11:49 PM, Bringonthedrama said:

And there is also the issue that Karen isn't dead! Lalalalalalalala , I can't hear you disagree! 

Scott gets to be angry that Lulu killed his son. A son he was never told about. And he didn't get a chance to try and have a relationship with him until almost the very end. And the rest of that bs crap that was aired was pure Idiots In Charge wanting to set Scott up as EVIL. Scott truly hasn't been the good decent guy he had been for decades. Probably since Port Charles aired. The only time I actually like Scott is when he is treats Sonny like the scumbag criminal that he is. Funny Scott can be great. But not at the expense of making him an asshole. Or just plain stupid. 

• Love 3

Ugh I hated that story.IA it was to make Scotty the evil.I Remeber when Karen died he told Lucy that everyone he loved dies.He mentioned Dominquie too.Probally the time he was written with depth.

Edited by Harmony233
  • Love 2

Robin and the Michael reveal. With Patrick, Patrick at least knew by the time Emma was born (he was marrying Robin for God's sake). While I can understand Carly fearing she would be cut out of Michael's life if AJ and by extension, the Qs found out, I agree with other posters that Carly was damn stupid to continue to antagonize a person that could blow up everything. The only person I thought had a real right to be pissed with Robin was AJ and it was satisfying to see him call Robin out on her bullshit about the real reason she kept and eventually told the secret. But fuck Jason and Carly and their outrage. Jason, you are a fucking serial killer who stole his brother's son. It is also bullshit that to believe that Carly would have told AJ if AJ didn't threaten to take the baby. If she knew AJ at all, she should have known that he wouldn't be that cruel to Michael at the very least nor would he had returned to his family if he was allowed to be involved in Micheal's life from the jump.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Ambrosefolly said:

call Robin out on her bullshit about the real reason she kept and eventually told the secret.

The reason she kept the secret was because she was in love with Jason. She didn't want to lose him. And then she saw how attached he became to Michael. There was always a part of her that thought AJ should know, though, and she tried to get Jason to understand that so many times. She also tried to get Jason to understand Carly's manipulations that he was blinded to because of his love for Michael. Robin was in a tough spot and I always thought it was surreal that she got the blame for ANY of it because Jason and eventually Carly put her in a position that wasn't fair to her or what she believed was right/wrong. There is no such thing as "it's not X's secret to tell" when someone has STOLEN a child. The Qs were unfit, but mobsters and guns and car bombs were OK? Right.

I also think the reason Robin eventually told AJ the truth got twisted by some fans over the years, so much so that the timeline was even fudged to make her look bad. Jason and Robin had already broken up because Robin refused to live with or near Carly. She then went to Carly to ask her AGAIN to think about joint custody of Michael with Jason. That's when Carly continued to screw with Robin and pour salt all over her wounds, basically saying that Jason loved her and they would be a family. THIS was what Robin always believed---that Carly was using Michael to get Jason to love her. Carly validated her fears. Robin didn't want Carly to one day take Michael away from Jason because he didn't want to be with her. That is why she told AJ. Did she also want to stick it to Carly? Sure. Did she feel AJ should know? Yes. But mostly she was trying to protect JASON. Which he didn't deserve.

Carly was damn stupid to continue to antagonize a person that could blow up everything

Yes. And some also like to forget that Carly wasn't just being a pest. She was actively trying to fuck Robin's boyfriend and filling his mind with lies. I would have outed her damn secret, too. Hell.

Edited by HeatLifer
  • Love 6

It was still bullshit. AJ was right, it wasn't even the same as someone cheating on a spouse, she essentially helped Jason kidnap a child and the only reason she spilled the beans was because she and Jason were no longer together,even if she did vocalize how wrong it was, which makes it worse in other ways. If it were me, I would be ticked too if the person was focused on the feelings of the kidnapper than me finding out after a year that I had a child that was bonded to another parent. She shouldn't have kept the secret and since I wasn't regularly watching, I hope someone like Mac or even a member of his own family called out Jason for putting Robin in the position of keeping that secret, but Guza was writing and his creeping favoritism was apparent by that time. I don't think Jason realized how morally compromised he made Robin.  I think the Robin telling AJ shows just how badly things have gotten on GH over the last twenty years. Before AJ was turned into a villain, he was given a point of view about his feelings. Fast forward to 2008 when Scotty's second child being killed and him being turned into the villain.

• Love 6

Oh, of course. AJ had every right to be pissed. And Robin should have told from the start. But it was a grey situation; it was something the viewers saw her struggle with and she was torn in so many different directions. She wasn't just "I love Jason! He's right! I can't tell!" They had fights about it. She tried her hardest to make Jason understand that he AND Michael should have a relationship with the Qs. She's the main reason that even happened.

I don't think Jason realized how morally compromised he made Robin.

At the time? He didn't. He was too enthralled with Michael to see anything outside of that. Months and months later, after she left for Paris, he told Liz that Robin kept the secret because she loved him and told AJ the truth because she didn't think it was right and didn't want Carly to manipulate him. But basically added, "I'll make my own decisions." Because that was the thing with Jason. He was the ultimate hypocrite. He wanted to do whatever he wanted, make whatever decision, but no one else could do the same thing. My favorite part of what Jason said, though, was "I didn't grow up in Robin's eyes." It was one of the truest things he ever said. 

The great thing, though, is Robin never regretted telling the truth. And Jason eventually realized she was right about everything. Yay, maturity!

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Oh, of course. AJ had every right to be pissed. And Robin should have told from the start. But it was a grey situation; it was something the viewers saw her struggle with and she was torn in so many different directions. She wasn't just "I love Jason! He's right! I can't tell!" They had fights about it. She tried her hardest to make Jason understand that he AND Michael should have a relationship with the Qs. She's the main reason that even happened.

At the time? He didn't. He was too enthralled with Michael to see anything outside of that. Months and months later, after she left for Paris, he told Liz that Robin kept the secret because she loved him and told AJ the truth because she didn't think it was right and didn't want Carly to manipulate him. But basically added, "I'll make my own decisions." Because that was the thing with Jason. He was the ultimate hypocrite. He wanted to do whatever he wanted, make whatever decision, but no one else could do the same thing. My favorite part of what Jason said, though, was "I didn't grow up in Robin's eyes." It was one of the truest things he ever said. 

The great thing, though, is Robin never regretted telling the truth. And Jason eventually realized she was right about everything. Yay, maturity!

Absolutely. I loved it when she saw Carly holding John/Spencer, she outed Carly on the spot instead of waiting. I thought she took away the exact lesson she should have from the Michael fiasco.I was pissed that Lulu forgave Carly too easily for that stunt (since Carly expressed no remorse) and became her biggest cheerleader months later. What makes Carly such a hypocrite is that to this day she will bark how Robin ruined everyone's life when she out her secret, but she not only blackmailed Alexis with Kristina, she then conveniently forgot that and said Alexis made her keep the Kristina secret and she would tell Sonny, instead of Alexis who not only would have been force to anyways because Kristina was sick with cancer but should have been the one because it was between her and Sonny.

• Love 3

I am a Robin fan and even I have to admit that she did hesitate in telling the truth about John/Spencer. She knew for weeks that Spencer was Nikolas's son and she didn't say anything because of Helena and the Cassadines. It was only after she saw Carly holding John, acting like his mother, that she finally snapped and said something. Granted, it wasn't near as long as she held the secret with Michael but she still didn't tell as soon as she found out. It made no sense and I hated it.

I also hated how the writers had her lie to Patrick about Emma. It made no sense to me, character wise, that she would make sure Nikolas and AJ knew about their children but she wouldn't tell Patrick the truth about his. Sure, they gave some lip service to it later but the Robin who told Nik and AJ the truth would have told Patrick no matter what. Now telling him about it and then stating she would raise the baby on her own and she expected nothing from him was completely in character but hiding the truth about it being his - no.

While I am venting, it also bothered me that Patrick didn't even question the paternity of Robin's baby until after her heard her talking to Mac about not getting artificially inseminated. He knew she had just picked out a donor only a week or so before, he knew that the condom had broken while they were making love and he knew when all of this happened - why didn't he even stop for a second and ask her if it was his baby? It didn't make any sense whatsoever.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, cmahorror said:

she did hesitate in telling the truth about John/Spencer. She knew for weeks that Spencer was Nikolas's son and she didn't say anything because of Helena and the Cassadines.

She mostly didn't say anything at first bc of Jax. She didn't want to hurt him. She was once again put into a shitty situation. She also had people like Patrick tell her to not get involved. This time she struggled for a shorter period of time. I think that's the main point we were making. 

I also hated how the writers had her lie to Patrick about Emma. It made no sense to me, character wise, that she would make sure Nikolas and AJ knew about their children but she wouldn't tell Patrick the truth about his.

I think it made perfect sense after she overheard him saying he never wanted to be a father and was screwing someone else. Robin isn't perfect. That's why I like her character. She makes mistakes, she can be contradictory and hypocritical, but she OWNS these things and admits them. I laugh when fans call her a saint or perfect. She's actually more of an all-around character than most on canvas.

While I am venting, it also bothered me that Patrick didn't even question the paternity of Robin's baby until after her heard her talking to Mac about not getting artificially inseminated.

I always got the sense Patrick was too scared to ask bc he didn't want to know the answer.

Well, yeah. Part of the problem was the writing in some scenes. But I alsodon't think there was ever a scene where Dante looked genuinely sorry or sad or devastated and that's on the actor. 

@HeatLifer Really? Not even before the video reveal? Not being snarky, genuine question.

10 minutes ago, ulkis said:

Well, yeah. Part of the problem was the writing in some scenes. But I alsodon't think there was ever a scene where Dante looked genuinely sorry or sad or devastated and that's on the actor. 

@HeatLifer Really? Not even before the video reveal? Not being snarky, genuine question.

Dom had a lot of whispering/raspy-voice/low-energy type performances that just were...lacking....during that time. Is there a scene you really liked that I may not be remembering? 

2 minutes ago, HeatLifer said:

Dom had a lot of whispering/raspy-voice/low-energy type performances that just were...lacking....during that time. Is there a scene you really liked that I may not be remembering? 

Well, I liked the part where he crumpled up when he was arguing with Lulu and he realized he was the only one who cheated. But there's nothing else that makes me think how dare u think that!!!!111 about DZ's performance.

I thought he had the right demeanor until the episode of the reveal. Then he looked mildly bummed out and that was about it.

• Love 2

Oh, he was an a** to her for sure!   At least he didn't sic an escaped con on her and try to ruin her career.  (Meow!)

@Aurora2 I hated how they had Lulu focus on Valerie. She should have just screwed Johnny right on Dante's desk. The way they wrote it was certainly lose-lose for everyone involved. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I think JP/SA were actually trying to vilify Lulu to try to make Valerie/Dante work. They'd have been better off just writing Lulu/Johnny or Johnny/Valerie or anything even remotely soapy

I do too. Funnily enough, if Johnny and Lulu HAD screwed on Dante's desk I think Dante heading back towards Valerie would have made them sympathetic enough. JP/SA's incompetence is rather staggering.

The women had to be the one to catfight while "poor" Dante just stood to the side doing nothing. It was more that than anything that took such a huge hit off of my Dante fandom.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Oracle42 said:

I think it was incredibly damaging especially since he didn't seem to care about Valerie when he decided to date her - it was revolting and very Sonnyesque

Yeah, and the whole "let's keep this on the dl so we don't get in trouble at work." I mean . . . what the heck?

• Love 1

I agree 100%. Lulu should have had some major fears about becoming a parent. It isn't like she a normal childhood with regular parents. Laura had some massive mental health issues for most of Lulu's childhood. So did her Grandmother Leslie. Luke wasn't always there. We had him admit that for years he saw Lulu as being contaminated thanks to Nik saving her life with his bone marrow. So Lulu was raised by Leslie, Bobbie, Lucky, Nik and even with Elizabeth and Emily. Carly was allegedly added during her teens.

Apparently, from age 12 to 17 Lulu was raised by Lesile, by herself with no help from Luke and she was perfectly sane during that time.  I never understood why the show never acknowledged this or had Lulu more closely drawn to Leslie as she was to Tracy and fucking Carly of all people. Denise Alexander predates GF, TG and everyone else.

• Love 2

Lulu is the older version of Cameron.  The  show didn't want to deal with an awkward teen set. So off with Leslie she was. But yeah, the lack of Leslie being involved in Lulu's current life is stupid. Same with Leslie being a no show with all of the Nik and Spencer drama. Leslie was also heavily invoIved with the raising of Spencer for years. At least just have Laura say that Leslie was staying in France/Switzerland to be near Spencer. I can also imagine that either the show or DA doesn't want the hassle. Sure, most likely the show. It was easy enough to attach Lulu to her new stepmother for her to get 'motherly advice' as a teen/young adult. Not to knock the whole Lulu/Tracy relationship, which has always been pretty great to watch on screen. JMB or other. But it still sucks to have Leslie, who has been an important character to just be dropped to the status of unseen babysitter. Audrey,  I can understand. The actress has retired. But I didn't get the vibe that DA is set to be 100% retired. 

Speaking of Audrey, she should be close to 90. And I just keep seeing some poor little woman being forced to chase a 5/6 year old Aiden. Liz needs a few god damn friends. Give her great neighbors with kids that play with her boys. Then she can just drop mentions of Gram going to the casinos, volunteering, taking trips with her friends, going to visit Sarah and her family, Steven Lars,  Jeff Webber and his nameless wife, etc. Stuff a healthy older retiree widowed woman(without money problems) should relish to be doing. Instead the poor woman is stuck taking care of young kids.

• Love 3

I felt they did that we did with a lot of characters on GH. Everyone used to hate Sam when TIIC were trying to hammer her into the show.

I liked Lulu in the very beginning, when she was playing a wild, slightly weird, sardonic teen who was loyal to Lucky and Nikolas but resented Luke and I loved the casting, even if JMB was tad old for my taste. I think that Leia chick is JMB is playing on Casual is more in line with what Lulu should be right now or should have been. I knew it would go to shit once she became popular because anyone that is popular becomes linked to Jason one way or another. So they picked fucking Carly, and it didn’t make a lick of sense on Lulu’s part, after what Carly did to Nik who was always there for Lulu . For Carly, I think it just fed into her extreme narcissism since both her and Lulu shared most of Luke’s terrible personality traits, but thanks to Lesley’s influence, some of that was kept in check for a time, until Carly encouraged her worst impulses, like going after another woman’s man. I like ER and feel bad that she probably got a bait and switch with what she has to play, but I think her high pitch voice often throws me off. 

And too bad for Dante that the woman he decide to pursue came from the same entitled, poisoned tree, whose own shrieking matched Lulu's.

Edited by Ambrosefolly

Sooooo. Are they just repeating Sam's  redemption with Franco? Not to minimize what Sam did - it was heinous, but reacting to the Jakenapping like a bad Samaritan is not equivalent to being a serial killing, rapist kidnapper who makes shitty art

• Love 3