Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Kevin (Probably) Saves The World

ABC will probably not save Kevin unfortunately.  Kevin Saves the World is definitely my "feel good" show, and it seems to me that the world could use more feel good shows.  This is Us just tries too hard I think.  ABC also cancelled prematurely, IMO, another feel good favorite of mine, Eli Stone.  My most recent favorite feel good show, Hart of Dixie, probably only lasted a few seasons because it wasn't on one of the big four networks.  My hope for "Kevin" is that a network like the CW picks it up for another season.  This season ending episode was fine as a season finale, but it definitely doesn't work as a series finale--too many loose ends!  Fingers crossed that someone picks it up for a least a half season.  

PS I wanted Reese to be the one to find out the truth rather than Amy!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, lark37 said:

ABC will probably not save Kevin unfortunately.  Kevin Saves the World is definitely my "feel good" show, and it seems to me that the world could use more feel good shows.  This is Us just tries too hard I think.  ABC also cancelled prematurely, IMO, another feel good favorite of mine, Eli Stone.  My most recent favorite feel good show, Hart of Dixie, probably only lasted a few seasons because it wasn't on one of the big four networks.  My hope for "Kevin" is that a network like the CW picks it up for another season.  This season ending episode was fine as a season finale, but it definitely doesn't work as a series finale--too many loose ends!  Fingers crossed that someone picks it up for a least a half season.  

PS I wanted Reese to be the one to find out the truth rather than Amy!

I wanted Reese to find out, too. 

I also loved Hart of Dixie! I miss it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KaveDweller said:

my question was why would he not be allowed to talk to another righteous soul about their being righteous souls? What's the point of identifying these people if they aren't allowed to know about it.

Kevin’s job is simply to find the other righteous until there are 36 total which will restore balance to the universe. Yvette never said that the previous 36 knew of each other or even that they were each aware that they were the righteous. Even if Kevin’s group will all be told that they’re the righteous, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Yvette is going to put Kevin in charge of righteous orientation. Heh, can you imagine that?

If I recall correctly, Kevin didn’t tell Shea that she was one of the 36 righteous either. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Kevin’s job is simply to find the other righteous until there are 36 total which will restore balance to the universe. Yvette never said that the previous 36 knew of each other or even that they were each aware that they were the righteous. Even if Kevin’s group will all be told that they’re the righteous, that doesn’t necessarily mean that Yvette is going to put Kevin in charge of righteous orientation. Heh, can you imagine that?

If I recall correctly, Kevin didn’t tell Shea that she was one of the 36 righteous either. 

In the episode, Yvette told Amy that the righteous souls help the world just by being there. They may not ever know what they are. The whole thing where the angels / warriors actually come to earth and protect the righteous seems to be a new development because the righteous souls couldn't be found. That part of the story is also a little hazy.

• Like 1

And that, right there, is the main problem with the show. It's mission is just too ill-defined. What do the "righteous souls" even do? How do they make the world a better place, especially if they aren't even aware they're righteous souls? More to the point, why wasn't whatever this latest one is supposed to contribute to the universe already doing it until Kevin hugged him? Is he "dormant" in some way until another righteous soul hugs him? Why? What happened to the other 35 righteous souls? Did they die, or did they just never get hugged? Who hugged Kevin?

See, there's just too much about this show that doesn't make any sense. And that's . . . too bad, because I say that as someone who enjoys it for the most part. But you can see how easily confused a new viewer would be. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

He didn't tell Shea, and I thought that was weird at the time. It made sense that he wouldn't tell the baby anything, but I wondered why Shea didn't get told anything too.

2 hours ago, iMonrey said:

And that, right there, is the main problem with the show. It's mission is just too ill-defined. What do the "righteous souls" even do? How do they make the world a better place, especially if they aren't even aware they're righteous souls? More to the point, why wasn't whatever this latest one is supposed to contribute to the universe already doing it until Kevin hugged him? Is he "dormant" in some way until another righteous soul hugs him? Why? What happened to the other 35 righteous souls? Did they die, or did they just never get hugged? Who hugged Kevin?

See, there's just too much about this show that doesn't make any sense. And that's . . . too bad, because I say that as someone who enjoys it for the most part. But you can see how easily confused a new viewer would be. 

Also, how does hugging Kevin make a difference? There were no righteous souls, then Kevin hugs them and they become righteous, but don't get told they are righteous and don't do anything? Is it just that Yvette and the others lost track of who was righteous and want Kevin to help know who they are? That's not really saving the world it is just helping the guardian angels do their job. Like you say it makes no sense.

It is a very charming show though.

• Like 2

Years from now, when we remember this show, we may think "I liked it, but I really didn't know what was going on, and I don't think the writers did either."

• Like 6

Then again, Pushing Daisies never made much sense, and people just liked it because of the cast. Mission shows are tough because they have to make up rules and quotas arbitrarily. Plus, most of the ones I watched (Tracker, Now and Again, Brimstone) all got cancelled after one season.

This show of course reminds me of much older ones I watched sporadically years ago: Touched by an Angel, and Highway to Heaven.  This one seems a tad more complex, but more similar to TBAA.

• Like 1

I figured that Yvette, in her mission, "activated" Kevin. He didn't require a hug from another righteous soul. As for the righteous not doing anything -- the point was made that they help the world with their presence. It's a ripple effect. Ever been around someone who just seemed to radiate happiness or joy or kindness? It's who they are, and you want to be around them because it makes you feel good. And then maybe you are nice to the next person you see. Or, you smile at someone, just because. It can lift their day, just being acknowledged, and the ripple begins. Helping doesn't necessarily require big charitable works or overt actions. Those small acts, or simply radiating positivity ... they have an effect. Don't need to know you're on a special mission to do that. Maybe the hug/activation switches them on so that they do share naturally in that way, or it enhances their effect, but even without detailed exposition, it made sense to me.

• Like 8

On 3/9/2018 at 2:39 PM, KaveDweller said:

He didn't tell Shea, and I thought that was weird at the time. It made sense that he wouldn't tell the baby anything, but I wondered why Shea didn't get told anything too.

The baby was given a guardian to protect and guide it.  I thought the other members of the squad were supposed to be assigned as well.

On 3/9/2018 at 4:02 PM, ketose said:

Then again, Pushing Daisies never made much sense, and people just liked it because of the cast.

I wasn't really confused by Pushing Daisies -- he could save one life, but only by taking another.  The conflict came from who to save and who to kill.

• Like 1

On 12/1/2017 at 3:45 AM, joanne3482 said:

I kind of wish they'd follow up with some of these people he's helped. Well, not follow up exactly, but it is a small town. At some point he should be bumping into these folks at the grocery store or whatever. 

It would be nice if they followed up on his case of the week so that we got a better idea as to whether his activities are having any meaningful impact on the world or whether it's just a stepping stone to getting enough spiritual power to find the back up Righteous souls in order to save the world/restore balance from whatever killed the last batch.

Amy is boring and annoying. I really hope they add something more to the character sometime soon or it's going to be a pain to get through her scenes. 

Yvette is the worst. She needs to either be helpful or be quiet. Her condescending and overbearing attitude has gotten old. 

Then again, Pushing Daisies never made much sense, and people just liked it because of the cast.

Pushing Daisies was pretty basic. Ned could bring the dead back to life simply by touching them. That made him useful in solving murder mysteries. No, there was no explanation why he had that power, but the show itself made sense based on that principal. Kevin simply doesn't. 

I figured that Yvette, in her mission, "activated" Kevin. He didn't require a hug from another righteous soul. As for the righteous not doing anything -- the point was made that they help the world with their presence. It's a ripple effect. Ever been around someone who just seemed to radiate happiness or joy or kindness? It's who they are, and you want to be around them because it makes you feel good. And then maybe you are nice to the next person you see. Or, you smile at someone, just because. It can lift their day, just being acknowledged, and the ripple begins. Helping doesn't necessarily require big charitable works or overt actions. Those small acts, or simply radiating positivity ... they have an effect. Don't need to know you're on a special mission to do that. Maybe the hug/activation switches them on so that they do share naturally in that way, or it enhances their effect, but even without detailed exposition, it made sense to me.

That's nice speculation but the show never really explained any of that. Plus it contradicted itself right out of the gate - Kevin was the last righteous soul but then it became his job to find the other righteous souls. What? Either's he's the last one or he's not. If they exist why does he need to find them and hug them? What happens when he finds the other 37 or however many there are supposed to be? Is he off the hook? If one of them dies does he get called back into active duty? What if all of them die? The world ends?

Too many questions, not enough answers. We're just supposed to be content with the Kevin being adorable and goofy and people thinking he's crazy because he's talking to an invisible friend and gets in wacky trouble every week. Which - fine. Jason Ritter is eminently watchable, no question there. But it seems like they had something more concrete in mind then watered it down to appeal to a broader audience and wound up with something way too vague.

• Like 1

We'll never find out now but I still think any contradiction that came out of Yvette's mouth was probably a reveal about her character rather than a plot hole. She's always been telling him whatever she thought would get him to do what she wanted.

• Like 1

While I enjoy Kevin and his attempts to do the right thing in the face of Yvette's uselessness and vague universe hints, the show only gets more frustrating with each episode.

We still don't know what happened to the other 35 Righteous souls.

We don't know what the Righteous Souls are supposed to do to restore balance to the universe. 

We don't know why Kevin isn't getting an assist from the recently awakened adult Righteous Soul.
We don't know why Kevin blacks out after triggering a Righteous Soul  

Amy is mostly boring and adds very little to the continuing main plot. Apparently she forgot all about the miracle where her daughter was saved from a grisly death.

Yvette can't protect Kevin from mortal harm if she's losing her invulnerability and yet she's selfish and stupid and doesn't tell him that. 

Yvette is the worst, why must she continue to withhold information from Kevin, why can't she admit she was hungry and ate the pizza? Instead she let Dave take the fall for her.

At this point does Yvette or Dave serve any purpose other than they make Kevin's life more complicated?

I checked out half way through the season. I kind of got tired of it.  Still, with all of the over the air channels and cable channels available, surely there ought to be room for a series such as this.

I'm sad -- Jason Ritter's character was fun and good-natured but they really didn't have any clear idea of a plot.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 6:29 PM, morakot said:

I'm sad -- Jason Ritter's character was fun and good-natured but they really didn't have any clear idea of a plot.

Trying to drag out the 36 Righteous plot wasn't a good idea.

• Like 2

I'm so sad. :( It was a favourite of mine, and got me through a difficult winter. Really difficult. Damn it. 

This is one of the 3 shows on non-CW network TV shows I was watching. I guess I'm not ABC's demographic for one-note sitcoms and medical dramas.

• Like 1

On 3/22/2018 at 1:53 PM, bybrandy said:

I liked this show.  I'll miss it.  

Me, too. I came here with a tiny hope that it might still be revived, after reading about Designated Survivor. 

• Like 1

I've just seen that CBS has a new show premiering called God Friended Me, about an atheist who is supposedly friended by God on facebook, follows signs, meets a woman (who helps him). They follow signs to help people. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2018 at 5:36 PM, Anela said:

I've just seen that CBS has a new show premiering called God Friended Me, about an atheist who is supposedly friended by God on facebook, follows signs, meets a woman (who helps him). They follow signs to help people. 

That's a [Judeo]-Christian show, I think, whereas Kevin took great pains not to endorse or disparage any religion.

• Like 2

On 9/27/2018 at 1:57 AM, jhlipton said:

That's a [Judeo]-Christian show, I think, whereas Kevin took great pains not to endorse or disparage any religion.

I know. I haven't watched this one. I just couldn't believe that more shows are appearing, and Kevin got cancelled. 

• Like 1