Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E10: Yay Area

paigow

SEASON FINALE

Spencer and Joe get a late-game assist in their efforts to win over team owners; Ricky maps out a new future; Jason gets Charles another chance at a coveted job; Reggie makes an impact at training camp.

So.... what exactly happened?  The basic gist that I got is that Spencer, Joe, and Anderson decided to team up with Anderson's bro after-all, and did an entirely new pitch by saying lets keep the Raiders in Oakland, but be funded privately by the Andersons, therefore saving taxpayer's money.  The League ended up liking this idea (even though Candace was apparently dirty), but they changed the deal, and are still planning on moving to Vegas.  And it sounds like the Anderson bros are going to run that, but Spencer and Joe refuse and are going to bring back ASM?  And even expand it?  Yeah, I'm still confused.  I guess everyone won.  Except Candace and Wayne.

Charles is now being interviewed for a GM position in St. Louis and that seems to be going well.  Ricky is planning on retiring and being a dad, which I don't see being as easy as he thinks it will be.  And Reggie/Vernon are doing... something in Dallas with another player and some kind of sex video.  Everyone's pretty much in different states now.

Overall, very shaky season.  I don't think any of the storylines this season worked for me and most of the character suffered, especially Spencer, who has become even more of an unlikable tool despite Dwayne Johnson's charisma.  Joe was the best thing about this season.  Followed by Richard Schiff and Steven Weber being awesome. I hope next season is better.

• Love 4

Has this show been renewed for another season? Because that episode felt like they left everyone in a decent place, so there aren't any big cliffhangers in case the show isn't renewed.

Though frankly I found the whole Raiders thing as confusing as fuck. How do the Andersons make money by paying to build the stadium? They get all the revenue from ticket sales and concessions? And I never really understood how Spencer was going to get paid. He did the work to get approval from Las Vegas and talked Wayne into supplying the land...but what was in it for Spencer? So confused by all this. I need someone to break it down for me like I'm three years old.

I really do not understand the point of Spencer's story line this season. The writers took us through all the unbelievable twists and turns with the Vegas deal just for him to end up right back where he started as a marginal agent with marginal business savvy and abilities. He also gets more unlikable every season like thuganomics85 mentioned.

There is also no way any of the businessmen he has verbally abused this season would actually tolerate his behavior IRL. 

I do want that doctor who told him how selfish he is to somehow appear in every episode to verbally put Spencer in his place. With all of the other weird story details that get initiated and dropped in this show, it wouldn't be that far fetched. I am just very confused as to what the writers of this show are thinking in terms of the story trajectories.

• Love 4

Has this show been renewed for another season? Because that episode felt like they left everyone in a decent place, so there aren't any big cliffhangers in case the show isn't renewed.

According to its Wikipedia page it has been renewed and will return sometime in 2018. I agree, this season has been an odd trip to nowhere. Maybe Dwayne is getting spread too thin with his movie career plus this. I can't imagine Ballers will continue past the fourth season.

Have to say though, the music this season continued to be amazing--even the retro stuff. Loved hearing the first few bars of Eyes of a Stranger in this episode.

Edited by Joimiaroxeu
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

And Reggie/Vernon are doing... something in Dallas with another player and some kind of sex video.  

I think Reggie is positioning himself to be fixer / Ray Donovan of Ballers, ie. season 1 Spencer minus financial advising

I agree with other posters that this was a mess of a season.  What's the point of Spencer's sotryline?  His ego is bigger than the billionaires he tried to herd ???  What was his end game anyway? He kept refusing any deal on the table because they were not exactly what he wanted.  But he wanted different things as the season progressed :P

• Love 4
22 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Charles is now being interviewed for a GM position in St. Louis and that seems to be going well.  Ricky is planning on retiring and being a dad, which I don't see being as easy as he thinks it will be.  And Reggie/Vernon are doing... something in Dallas with another player and some kind of sex video.  Everyone's pretty much in different states now.

Los Angeles. The Rams moved to Los Angeles and have been there through the second season now.

Speaking of Spencer and our heroes, they made presentation to the NFL franchise owners, who are all business people, and they did not once talk about any numbers? No projected revenue? Profit? RoI? Just a pep talk about heart and soul? Even when proposing that team stayed in Oakland, not once did they give any quantitative rationale why Oakland was better than Las Vegas.

They *almost* made Spencer into someone likeable... the stuff with the driver and the people of Oakland came late, very, very late, but was worthwhile. And then it was thrown out the window immediately. 

Meanwhile, Candace really hates Spencer, and makes another crack about how he doesn't belong. I don't know why. 

So the Andersons don't do a stadium deal, and instead bankroll ASM? While Spencer has been ignoring his remaining clients? How does this make business sense for the rich brother? 

Charles' ending was cliched and not even done well.

And Ricky is gone? 

This was a wasted season. People either have no morals, or their morals shift for more money. And almost no ones acts logically. 

• Love 2

They didn't explain anything about the ending.  Why did the Andersons give Spencer a pile of money to expand ASM?  

I can't believe they're going to make another season.  This one was awful.

They've basically come full circle.  Spencer was a nice guy who fixed problems for his NFL clients.  Now he's a douchebag.

Reggie was a total douchebag and now he's looking to be a nice guy who fixes problems for NFL guys.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, SoothingDave said:

They've basically come full circle.  Spencer was a nice guy who fixed problems for his NFL clients.  Now he's a douchebag.

Reggie was a total douchebag and now he's looking to be a nice guy who fixes problems for NFL guys.

Yep. Why would any of Spencer's clients/former clients go with Spencer now? He left them to pursue a dream/higher status. And when he had them, he wasn't exactly going gangbusters. And that's the base from which ASM is going to expand? 

This could have been so much better with just some small tweaks. Spencer could have met car driver guy in Oakland about 5-6 episodes ago. Car driver guy could have planted the seed of an idea. Spencer could have worked the idea, gradually bringing Joe and the brothers in. Meanwhile, Spencer could have solved a few issues for clients based on his touch with "average people" and real lives vs. rich lives. Players could have seen Spencer's heart and motivation for the community, and themselves, and gotten behind Spencer. When it all fell through, the players would choose Spencer because, in the end, he appreciated loyal communities and regular people - which is where most new players come from. And Candace and her views would have made sense in the context of her choosing to go with the rich people, while Spencer "kept it real." Shoot, Charles could have played a small role in Spencer understanding real people and real lives, as part of Charles' rise. So could have Ricky choosing being a dad vs. football and money.

Instead, it was a bunch of disjointed stories and incomplete motivations, that ended in a disappointing finale.

• Love 2

The main problem for me was the Las Vegas storyline. Since  I don't expect the show to veer much from reality, I never thought that there was any chance of having an NFL team move to LV, hence no suspense. Of course, I know nothing about football, so maybe a team is going  to LV!

On 9/30/2017 at 8:09 AM, Gobi said:

The main problem for me was the Las Vegas storyline. Since  I don't expect the show to veer much from reality, I never thought that there was any chance of having an NFL team move to LV, hence no suspense. Of course, I know nothing about football, so maybe a team is going  to LV!

As Michael Irvin would say, "C'mon, man!" This Vegas move isn't a secret! Also, the San Diego Chargers moved to LA (stupidly), and the Rams moved from St. Louis to LA (yes, now there are TWO teams in a market that didn't want ONE team). 

That should get you caught up. 

• Love 1