Type keyword(s) to search

Harriet's Happenings: LHOTP in the Media

Lol, that was good. I love reading LHOTP snark. :)

"I don’t know about you, but some days I just want to lock myself in the outhouse to have a moment of peace. But they find me. They always find me. I can’t escape their whiney little voices.

“Ma! The baby is getting attacked by a badger!”

“Ma! The grasshoppers are eating all our crops!”

“Ma! Mary’s bliiiinnddd!”

-That made me laugh. :)

• Love 1

I listened to Mark Maron's WTF podcast interview with Jason Bateman.  Jason described the episode that got him adopted by Charles Ingalls - the horrifying wagon over the cliff death scene.  He didn't really say anything else about LHoTP except that he worked for a whole season from about age 10.  Oh!  And he described Michael Landon rehearsing a scene with him in Landon's trailer, a scene where he had to cry.  

OMG, OMG, I am literally hyperventilating here.   Andover Fabrics is coming out with a Little House on the Prairie fabric line.   No really.   I may die.    They are introducing it at the International Quilt Market in a couple of months.   Ms. Beadle and Nellie will be there to discuss all things Little House.

Still hyperventilating -- and designing the quilt I will make mentally.

ETA:   There is a fabric that looks like an Ingalls girl falling down a hill.   I may die.

Edited by merylinkid
  • Love 2

Horror director Wes Craven died yesterday and he's of course known for Nightmare on Elm Street and the Scream movies, but he also made a lesser known horror movie in 1986 called Deadly Friend starring Matthew Labyorteaux(Albert) along with Kristy Swanson and Ann Ramsey(The Goonies). I had seen this on TV a couple of years ago, not knowing what to expect and holy sh---!

If you haven't seen it watch it. The trailer doesn't give away how bananas bonkers it is.

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 2

Did anyone see the reunion on Home and Family? I saw a preview and died laughing. "Alice" was holding a doll and said, "Tune in to see if I really did use a baby as a battering ram."

Edited by Runningwild
  • Love 2

Horror director Wes Craven died yesterday and he's of course known for Nightmare on Elm Street and the Scream movies, but he also made a lesser known horror movie in 1986 called Deadly Friend starring Matthew Labyorteaux(Albert) along with Kristy Swanson and Ann Ramsey(The Goonies). I had seen this on TV a couple of years ago, not knowing what to expect and holy sh---!

If you haven't seen it watch it. The trailer doesn't give away how bananas bonkers it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQj2GKwKp5w

I watched this movie years ago. and loved it! (BB!!) Edited by jlrd2000
(edited)

This is a good a place as any to let Prairie fan who may be interested that Charlotte Stewart has written her autobio "Little House in the Hollywood Hills. ..".

First to get this out of the way, there's a LOT more to Miss Stewart than her character Eva Beadle Simms and her bio is quite a ride! I won't give it away. However; I will say that Miss Stewart  is justifiably proud of the fact that her character as an ideal teacher became beloved by so many to the point that she has had hundred of folks say that SHE was the inspiration for their own academic career! Also, she gives some good  insights re how she performed and her friendships with other castmates. Though she initially treated the audition as a lark, she the part to heart as her own grandmother had been a pioneer who'd journeyed from Iowa to California in the 1800's AND she had a godmother who was a teacher in a lumber town who inspired her own personal fave episode.

I stress that Miss Stewart has had a very different life than Eva Beadle Simms would have had and her most iconic character would no doubt have been shocked at many of the twists and turns the performer's story would take. However; as detailed as Miss Stewart is in her account , she kept everything in good taste with only a minimum of profanity and I think many who've had similar twists could benefit. Moreover, she owns her missteps and regrets but, like Miss Beadle, she illustrates them as a means to somehow grow from them and encourage others to do the same- and there are quite a few downright funny tales mixed in with the sad and poignant ones.

One tiny tidbit that Miss Stewart revealed about her performance was that Pa Ingalls wasn't the only one in Walnut Grove to go sans drawers on the Prairie. She herself did so under her character's otherwise conventional attire as a means to combat the incredible heat during production.

Anyway, I hope anyone who gets to read this book enjoys it!

Edited by Blergh
clarification
  • Love 1

From the Onion AV Club:

A Battle Royale Revisited: An Oral History of Battle Of The Network Stars

Karen Grassle and Mellissa Sue Anderson are one of the celebrities in this oral history remembering the time each year TV actors competed against each other in short shorts and tube socks in obstacle courses and tug of war.

Excerpts:

Karen Grassle: When they offered it to me to do it, I thought it sounded like a lot of fun. And I did get very weary always dragging around in prairie skirts, so an opportunity to do something that was not that, I was always glad for. [Laughs.] And they were paying us, too! So, yeah, I was all for it.

Melissa Sue Anderson: I didn’t find the experience to be a great one, but keep in mind that I was around 13 at that time, and not a very welcome addition to any team of surprisingly competitive TV actors. While fairly athletic, I don’t perform well under pressure, and this was quite serious, so it wasn’t exactly the fun, good-natured sports day I believe I was told it would be.

• Love 1