Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Tainted Love

Monty9

Ugh! Zack just.......

I mean a young boy with his first crush it's understandable that he wouldn't know that someone being nice to you does not = them liking you in that way. It's even understandable that he might feel like he was mislead given his age and inexperience.(Note those 13 and under are the only ones where this is excusable, unfortunately too many damn "adults" think that being nice to someone/buying them something means that you own someone else's feelings and or body) However, then he let his pet eat her. In a way it would have been a more natural path to eeeeeevil for Zach to have 1. Shot the tiger 2. Fed her to the pet THEN 3. Initiate a nuclear strike on Manhattan.

I am hoping that this means that they officially aren't going for a redemption arc though. I suppose a bloody death would be too much to ask for but dying would be enough.

I liked the other story this time. Stuff happened! Charlotte was great! We got to know Quinlan better and things got wrapped up. More episodes this season should have been like this part.

Edited by raven
formatted for episode
  • Love 3

Anyone checking Twitter today to see if there are any reports about strange airplane landings?

A serviceable episode. As @Monty9 said "Stuff happened!" And I agree, I hope this finally eliminates any possibility of a redemption arc for Zach.

I didn't think Zach could get any worse but alas, he has out done himself. His entire story line infuriates me. They have to kill him off at the end right? Why else would they want me to hate him so much?

Other than Zach, I liked the episode. Things are finally moving along. 

• Love 2

I can excuse a lot because Zach is a child, but he knows his mother is dead so does he think is speaking to him?

I hope Fet's girlfriend does survive. I wouldn't be surprised if Eichorst turns her to punish Fet. However, it was funny when he realized that she dumped him.

Edited by SimoneS
1 hour ago, LIFLA said:

I didn't think Zach could get any worse but alas, he has out done himself. His entire story line infuriates me. They have to kill him off at the end right? Why else would they want me to hate him so much?

I hope he doesn't make it.  But are the showrunners able to tell when they've taken a character beyond where people would buy a turnaround?  I'd assume yes, but I've watched Once Upon a Time, so I know that's not necessarily the case.   Since we've spent how many episodes waiting for Gus to have relevance, their judgement might be iffy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Mari said:

I hope he doesn't make it.  But are the showrunners able to tell when they've taken a character beyond where people would buy a turnaround?  I'd assume yes, but I've watched Once Upon a Time, so I know that's not necessarily the case.   Since we've spent how many episodes waiting for Gus to have relevance, their judgement might be iffy.

I really have no idea. I can't tell if they realize exactly how terrible he is or if they are setting him up for redemption. I really hope they don't have Zach be the one who kills the master. I feel like that's something they would do? But I hope not.

15 minutes ago, LIFLA said:

I can't tell if they realize exactly how terrible he is or if they are setting him up for redemption.

The writers have to realize how awful Zach is. He. . . 

1. got Nora killed
  2. nuked New York because he was pissed at his father
  3. is taking the drops from the master
  4. killed a tiger
  5. had one of his minions kill a woman he presumed was interested in him
  6. is willfully ignoring reality in order to believe that his "mother" is not a strigoi.

Anything else?

• Love 3

So who exactly on the writing staff was thinking "You know, Zach hasn't been enough of a jerk lately.  What can we do to make it worse?"  

I think this season has suffered from splitting the main characters apart.  We lose momentum in episodes where they don't appear, and we lose characterization from having these characters not interact.  Right now we have Fet and Quinlain getting a nuke for "reasons".  Dutch and Setrakian getting captured in NYC.  Eph taking random potshots at the Partnership and being a bad luck charm to anyone around him (the black market, the prison bus, the resistance...).  Zach being groomed by the Master.  Gus with his gang.

There's only 4 episodes left.  4 hours to get all these characters back together and for there to be a big confrontation.  Seems like a stretch.  If the resolution is "someone sets off a nuke in the Master's HQ, killing the Master, all his strigoi, and everything is back to normal" I will consider that a highly unsatisfying ending.  Especially with all the medical buildup over the seasons.

• Love 7

Forgot to mention that I loved that Quinlan compliment Fet by telling him that the girlfriend would find it hard to do better. I knew he liked Fet.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

So Zach is a fedora tipping neckbeard. That's precious.

I'm actually really enjoying that his characterization is that he's awful. I hope it all leads to his dad  having to kill him. I like the idea of that arc. 

Edited by millahnna
auto correct hates me
  • Love 3

Guys. I'm genuinely only watching this show for 2 things:

1. Zach dying is some terrible way. 

2. Dutch getting to be the one who kills Eichorst. 

I'll save #2 for another ep, but .... #1 has to happen, right? Right?!?!? He has no redeeming qualities at all. 

Also, Quinlan? Don't give Fet credit for Charlotte saving your asses. 

Damn, this show makes me cranky. 

• Love 2
11 hours ago, futurechemist said:

So who exactly on the writing staff was thinking "You know, Zach hasn't been enough of a jerk lately.  What can we do to make it worse?"  

I think this season has suffered from splitting the main characters apart.  We lose momentum in episodes where they don't appear, and we lose characterization from having these characters not interact.  Right now we have Fet and Quinlain getting a nuke for "reasons".  Dutch and Setrakian getting captured in NYC.  Eph taking random potshots at the Partnership and being a bad luck charm to anyone around him (the black market, the prison bus, the resistance...).  Zach being groomed by the Master.  Gus with his gang.

There's only 4 episodes left.  4 hours to get all these characters back together and for there to be a big confrontation.  Seems like a stretch.  If the resolution is "someone sets off a nuke in the Master's HQ, killing the Master, all his strigoi, and everything is back to normal" I will consider that a highly unsatisfying ending.  Especially with all the medical buildup over the seasons.

Looks like that poor girl's boyfriend will now be a innocent target,as Zack will surely trick him into coming over somehow so that he can get killed by his now-turned significant other..all while Zach watches

speaking of Gus and his gang,has his story arc been completed..?

I'd have figured  the final shot of the episode wouldve been Eichorst finding and killing Charlotte.. no way that takeoff was smooth,i bet next episode Fet,Quinlan,and Marlo from The Wire will discover that the plane took a few rounds,then wind up doing the"two must bail out while one stays behind to guide the plane in for a crash landing" trope

Edited by TDT

Even if Zach kills the Master he is irredeemable.   I don't think the show is going for that, though I don't know what they're going for.   Ugh, he enjoyed her being terrorized by his pet.  Little bastard.   They don't show him being conflicted at all, he mouths about feeling badly afterwards, but it doesn't ring true.  Sociopathic brat.

The flashbacks were still boring.  So if Quinlan hadn't had to make a little "so it ends ahaha" comment he would have killed the Master?  Just swing the killing stroke, damn it.  It's as bad as when the bad guys won't shut up. 

I would much rather spend time with Dutch and Setrakian than see Quinlan in his terrible wig (though I enjoy Fet and Quinlan working together) or more of Zach being an asshole.  When was the last time Setrakian had meaningful dialogue?  How many episodes ago?

Did not miss Eph or Gus.  I guess everyone will meet up somehow.  

Also, it's difficult to feel any worry about the Master when it's Eichorst who's out there getting shit done.  I laughed at tough guy talk when he showed up in the woods - didn't those guys think he might have been, you know, a vampire?  I hope he doesn't grab Fet's girlfriend. 

1 hour ago, raven said:

Even if Zach kills the Master he is irredeemable.   I don't think the show is going for that, though I don't know what they're going for.   Ugh, he enjoyed her being terrorized by his pet.  Little bastard.   They don't show him being conflicted at all, he mouths about feeling badly afterwards, but it doesn't ring true.  Sociopathic brat.

Not that I'm on that turd's side, because I hate him, but he hid behind something and covered his ears and closed his eyes when his little strigoi pet did her strigoi thing (sucking/infection...whatever) on the maid. I guess we're supposed to believe he still has some humanity left. He let his pet loose on her, so no, zero sympathy from me. Not that I had any left after he released a nuclear bomb on the eastern seaboard.

• Love 2

I don't know why the writers had Zack allow his girlfriend to be killed, because I already hated him with the fire of a thousand suns, so this further evidence of his terribleness really didn't add anything to the story.

Have not cared about the back story set in 1888 London.  So he had the feels at one time and would have been able to kill the master except for having to tell him first.  Time that should have been spent on the current story as there's not much time left to end the series.

I want to see Abraham, Dutch, and Fet reunited and take out the master and Zack.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, seacliffsal said:

I want to see Abraham, Dutch, and Fet reunited and take out the master and Zack.

RIGHT?!?! If this show had just been those 3 doing what they fucking do best, I would've enjoyed it a lot more. 

• Love 1
On 8/21/2017 at 5:00 PM, SimoneS said:

Forgot to mention that I loved that Quinlan compliment Fet by telling him that the girlfriend would find it hard to do better. I knew he liked Fet.

Was that a compliment to Fet or an insult to the girlfriend?  It works both ways.

I hate Zach.  I hate Eph.  They make me root against the humans.

Fet and Quinlan remain my favorites along with their surrogate daddy, who they surprisingly never seem to speak of. Perhaps the only way the boys can get along is not to address their Daddy issues.

Every once in a while, when Zach's pet is onscreen, I suddenly remember that she was one of the blind  kids on the bus way back in season one and get sad for her.  It's the weirdest thing.  This episode it hit me at the same moment that she was eating the poor teenager.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Was that a compliment to Fet or an insult to the girlfriend?  It works both ways.

I didn't think that Quinlan was insulting the girlfriend. I think that he was respecting Fet because he knew how hard it was for him to let her go and save her life. I think Quinlan liked the girlfriend, but all he sees is the inevitable tragedy if she stays with them. If Fet survives, maybe he goes join her at her father's cabin. He could use a break. 

Edited by SimoneS
5 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I didn't think that Quinlan was insulting the girlfriend. I think that he was respecting Fet because he knew how hard it was for him to let her go and save her life. I think Quinlan liked the girlfriend, but all he sees is the inevitable tragedy if she stays with them. If Fet survives, maybe he goes join her at her father's cabin. He could use a break. 

I was joking.

Finally got around to this episode, since I wasn't in a rush after hearing it was going to be Zach heavy.  And sure enough, his stuff was as bad as expected.  I mean, logically, I can chalk up a lot of his "nice guy" rant to his age, which I do believe a 13 year-old would say (it's when guys in their later teens, twenties or more when it really becomes a problem), and I think even Abigail knew that she probably shouldn't have kissed him on the cheek right after she did it, because he was going to assume things, but yeah: having his pet turn her just continues to make him a sociopathic asshole.  Refusing to give her anymore food with have been a dick move, but more understandable.  Hell, I thought he was going to reveal that he was the one behind the nuke, knowing it would hurt her since her parents died because of it.  But, nope, he's just made her his slave now.  Zach's the worst.

Quinlan's flashbacks held no surprises.  Obviously, he doesn't defeat The Master and there was no way the woman and her daughter weren't going to die in order to make him all sad, so it was a case of just waiting for it to all come together.

Besides that, the stuff with Fet and Quinlan was good.  I'm glad they managed to escape Eichorst thanks to Charlotte/Rhona Mirta.  I hope that bike is nearby though, because once Eichorst recovers, he's going to be pissed, and we know he can run pretty fast!

At this point, all I care about it Fet/Quinlan hopefully reuniting with Abe/Dutch.  I don't give a shit at all about Gus and it even feels like Eph is off in his own little world.  It really doesn't feel like a final season.