Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E09: Patriot Games

So it seemed to me that Walternate is the invisible boss calling the shots for Harris's son's hacking group and maybe Walternate also had the White House phones hacked to order the hit on Grace—since it seems like the POTUS is too sick to have planned anything as elaborate as getting a hit man that would appear to be connected to Harris. Plus we know that Walternate doesn't want Darius to be distracted by romance—which, on this show, kind of makes me want to be on Team Walternate.

What are the odds that POTUS is suffering from something like radiation poisoning? (I watch too much TV.)

I'm still convinced that they have a different writer for Harris every week, and each week's writer only gets to see the last line Harris had in the previous episode (like that old birthday party game that ends with a very silly story).

• Love 5

I'm confused about why the Russians pulled out, I thought they already knew the US was behind the meteorite in Chelyabinsk.

And they continue not to hide Jennifer Finnigan's pregnancy. I had to lol when Grace told Darius someone tried to kill her because when he said, "Are you alright?", he glanced down at her stomach and I expected his next question to be, "Is the baby alright".

Why does that annoying reporter think she's so good, she's pretty much been handed all her information.

Why couldn't Grace call Darius for help with her hitman? If she gets her Dad killed I will be upset because Mark Moses is my favorite person on this show.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

What are the odds that POTUS is suffering from something like radiation poisoning?

If the POTUS turns the same color as the She-Hulk, we will know the Russians were involved!

2 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

And they continue not to hide Jennifer Finnigan's pregnancy.

She looked really pregnant when she was being attacked and the next scene she falls straight onto her belly. That made me laugh.

So does Grace's daughter now have mad hacking skills?

I wonder if this asteroid has a guidance system like the other one did?

Where is Jillian living now that she wants to flirt around with other guys?

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dangwoodchucks said:

I'm confused about why the Russians pulled out, I thought they already knew the US was behind the meteorite in Chelyabinsk

I totally missed the pregnancy of the actress, so my understanding is probably not the most observant, but I think it was that Intrepid Reporter Girl's story revealed that the US had used the previous asteroid as a WMD on purpose (albeit in an unpopulated area) instead of by accident.
Or it could just have been the optics of having the previous weaponizing of an asteroid revealed to the world (including the Russian population).
But either of these only makes sense as a motive for the Russians backing out if the Russians either don't believe an earth killing asteroid is imminent,
or if they'd rather all die than survive as suckers,
or (most logical) if they think the real plan is to have the asteroid move off course enough to devaste Russia but not the whole earth (the US government's original plan). 
And maybe it was a little unclear because the writers changed the plot and motive too close to shooting to smooth out the script edits, but I don't know anything about how that process works. 

• Love 3

Any time they switch to any of the "romantic" sub-plots, I immediately start rooting for the asteroid. I guess if they want to have Harris occasionally bang a random bartender, I'm ok with that because, you know, Ian Anthony Dale is pretty easy on the eyes but I really don't care about any of the couples that the writers clearly want me to care about.

The big problem for me, aside from all the clunky exposition, is that so many of the characters are so unlikable. I couldn't care less about Grace's pouty daughter or Harris' perpetually pissed off son. Annoying reporter girl isn't anyone I want to root for. And I'm still trying to figure out why Jillian's character even exists.

I think they should just magically avert the asteroid then make this show about Tanz Industries with Darius and Liam inventing cool shit. 

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Rachel RSL said:

Any time they switch to any of the "romantic" sub-plots, I immediately start rooting for the asteroid. I guess if they want to have Harris occasionally bang a random bartender, I'm ok with that because, you know, Ian Anthony Dale is pretty easy on the eyes but I really don't care about any of the couples that the writers clearly want me to care about.

The big problem for me, aside from all the clunky exposition, is that so many of the characters are so unlikable. I couldn't care less about Grace's pouty daughter or Harris' perpetually pissed off son. Annoying reporter girl isn't anyone I want to root for. And I'm still trying to figure out why Jillian's character even exists.

I think they should just magically avert the asteroid then make this show about Tanz Industries with Darius and Liam inventing cool shit. 

Or at least Darius and Liam taking off in Salvation WITHOUT Grace's daughter, Harris' son, or annoying reporter girl.

ETA: Yes, @Rachel RSL, I meant to stipulate that Jillian be left behind too!

Edited by shapeshifter
14 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

So it seemed to me that Walternate is the invisible boss calling the shots for Harris's son's hacking group and maybe Walternate also had the White House phones hacked to order the hit on Grace—since it seems like the POTUS is too sick to have planned anything as elaborate as getting a hit man that would appear to be connected to Harris. Plus we know that Walternate doesn't want Darius to be distracted by romance—which, on this show, kind of makes me want to be on Team Walternate.

What are the odds that POTUS is suffering from something like radiation poisoning? (I watch too much TV.)

I'm still convinced that they have a different writer for Harris every week, and each week's writer only gets to see the last line Harris had in the previous episode (like that old birthday party game that ends with a very silly story).

Agreed, it seems too much to be a one off character.

• Love 1

So, basically, the past two episodes were pointless, since the deal between America and Russia falls through again due to annoying reporter exposing the Cheylabinski thing, and causing more turmoil.  Nice.  Anyway, Secretary of Defense dude decides to go with the launch and just hope they can beat the Russians, which naturally blows up in his face.  Thankfully, Harris and the President's advisor go behind his back and tell Darius about it, so they actually took the real EMP device and launch it themselves, after the convinced/paid the hacker group to cause a blackout in Russia.  All's well that ends well, I guess.

Ha, I knew it!  Liam and Jillian were going continue to be separated, after annoying reporter spills the beans to Jillian about the kiss.  Because, again, Liam didn't have the sense to actually say "Hey, for the sake of being honest from now on, Darius needed me to take some info from her phone, and order to do so, I had to kiss her as a distraction.  But that's it!" when they reconciled.  So, now Jillian's pissed and Liam is mopey again.

Grace fights off and kills an assassin and after briefly thinking it might have been Harris, it now looks like it came from the President herself.  Who is apparently sick and her judgement it causing her to do crazy things.  They really are just doing the astroid's job for them.

Grace's daughter now joins the hacker group?  Have we seen her show any type of skills that she is good with computers?

At times I almost wish we were following Grace's dad, but that admittedly could be just because I love Mark Moses and the idea of Duck Phillips as a CIA spook sounds amazing!

I think Grace's daughter was not recruited for her hacking skills but for spying on Grace (and Harris). And of course RE/SYST are just puppets on a string. So much for all their great rhetoric *eyeroll* my money's on evil uncle because -well- John Noble. The ordered hit on Darius was coming from the White House and not from Nicholas (though he looked pissed off enough for me to order a hit on his nephew). I know Walternate is the favorite career reference for Noble but I'm going more with Morland Holmes.

Cynical me had always assumed that the Russian incident had not been an accident - so that shocker felt pretty flat.

All the romantic subplots are still a waste of time.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

…after annoying reporter spills the beans to Jillian about the kiss.  Because, again, Liam didn't have the sense to actually say "Hey, for the sake of being honest from now on, Darius needed me to take some info from her phone, and order to do so, I had to kiss her as a distraction.  But that's it!"

Or: "We were on a break!" (™ Friends)

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 5
On 8/24/2017 at 5:20 AM, shapeshifter said:

or (most logical) if they think the real plan is to have the asteroid move off course enough to devaste Russia but not the whole earth (the US government's original plan).

The prize goes to you.  It never occurred to me that that's the plan.  (Maybe because these days, Russia isn't the real problem in the world.)

• Love 1

Is Jillian mad that her bf kissed someone else after she left their place and moved back home and stopped talking to him because that makes her seem like an emotional idiot. Honestly Jillian and the Reporter are vying for worst written female characters. Admittedly Jillian is winning so far because she makes Liam look so much worse. Don't promote your girlfriend to a job she's unqualified for, it makes you both look bad. Ugh so frustrating.

Honestly the most likeable character on the show is the asteroid because at least it wants to get things done while the US government is getting in the way of every attempt to save the world with their ham fisted diplomacy and the human characters are all dealing with silly convoluted relationship drama. 

• Love 1