Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E07: Something Wicked This Way Comes

(edited)

When Rosaline returns to Verona and tries to prove Benvolio innocence, Paris decides to take matters into his own hands. Meanwhile, Lady Capulets relationship with Paris comes to a head, and a shocking discovery about Lord Montagues past is revealed. 

Edited by Enero
(edited)

Poor Benvolio. I just wanted to hold him. 

He and Rosalind are indeed the best of Verona with maybe Isabella and dumb Livia apart of that group. 

Everyone else are liars, killers and assholes. 

Prince Escalus is a piece of sh*t. What a dishonorable man he turned out to be. Glad Benvolio told him to go f*ck himself. And I did not care when he (Escalus) was struck down at the end of the episode. The only reason why he stopped the execution IMHO is because he knew he'd have NO chance with Rosalind if he went through with it. 

And Benvolio's father was the true Lord of the Montague house but his brother killed him so that he could take over. SMH. Wow. 

The lies, backstabbing and blackmail in this episode made my head spin. ?

Rosalind/Benvolio were great as usual. I think he's already fallen for her. She's close to feeling the same for him, but asshole Escalus is still in her heart and is the hang up. Why is beyond me. 

This was a decent end to the series. Lots of cliffhangers. But I was satisfied because Benvolio was freed and he and Rosalind reconciled. 

This wasn't a perfect show by any means, but it has been fun and had the potential to be even more fun had it continued. I'm sorry to see it go.

Edited by Enero
  • Love 10

The tears and kisses through the bars of the dungeon were everything.   

If this is the end ,and barring some sort of shickung development it is, Im going to choose to believe that Rosalind and Benvolio dumped  Escalaus and ran off  together escapung their terrible families and live happily ever after.

• Love 9
(edited)
21 minutes ago, Enero said:

But I was satisfied because Benvolio was freed and he and Rosalind reconciled.

And they kissed!  I had pretty much given up on that happening but then they had that last scene together and it was terrific.  I mean, not only one kiss but that thing went on and on and would have probably gone on forever had the guard not interrupted them. Ben did talk as a man who had fallen for her and Rosaline's "I trust you" response was perhaps one of my favorite moments of the series. Because even though she does have lingering feelings for Escalus, Ben is likely the only man she trusts.  And she's the only one he trusts.  That was likely true even before he had all the truths rain down on his head before being executed.

Now, I'm not quite sure why learning his uncle murdered his father is important or how they'd weave that into the season.  The Paris cliffhanger was much better.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 4

I'm really going to miss this show and not even in a "so bad, it's good" way.  (Although I think a big part of the show's problem with the network and with ratings was that the way the show was directed made the production values look cheap, when I suspect the costs were actually really, really high.) All the family and political intrigues really started to hit their stride in the last couple of episodes.  With all the Scotland mentions, was Tessa supposed to be Lady McB?

• Love 4
(edited)
15 minutes ago, Greta said:

I'm really going to miss this show and not even in a "so bad, it's good" way.  (Although I think a big part of the show's problem with the network and with ratings was that the way the show was directed made the production values look cheap, when I suspect the costs were actually really, really high.) All the family and political intrigues really started to hit their stride in the last couple of episodes.  With all the Scotland mentions, was Tessa supposed to be Lady McB?

Actually, that was Lady Capulet's role, apparently.  She had planned to become the power behind the throne once Paris had deposed Escalus (what, you really think she wouldn't have dumped Capulet in a heartbeat the moment Paris was crowned?).  In fact, she would have considered Lady MacBeth to be a weak amateur.

Edited by legaleagle53

Knowing it was already cancelled, I tried not to get invested. Oh how I tried. But when Rosaline and Benvolio were staring at each other with tears in their eyes and the cell bars between them I yelled: "Kiss - it's your last chance!" Gonna miss those two.

• Love 6
(edited)

Well, even though I didn't really like the show and how different it was from the book, I still think it deserved more of a chance than what ABC gave it. I also hate it when cliffhangers are never resolved.

Edited by Spartan Girl

I really got hooked on this show and am sad it's cancelled.  The family rival and the political intrigue was getting so good.  I was so happy to at least get a Benvolio/Rosaline kiss.   That scene was so intense and lovely.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, doram said:

Oh man, I can't believe they went though with Livia marrying that monster.

Well she got what she wanted a huuuusband. But unfortunately for her it's not the fairytale she thought it would be. 

If the show were continuing I'd be fine with them killing off Escalus (I know some might take issue with that with him being the only black man left on the show) and having Rosalind/Benvolio and Isabella fighting to save Verona from Paris with a few peripheral characters helping out. 

Did anyone else notice that the Friar had returned to Verona as well and was in the crowd at the execution? I wonder where they planned to go with that? Based on the discussion Lord Montague had with his sister it sounds like the Friar has been up to no good for a while. 

• Love 1

I did not feel sorry when Prince Escalus was shot down. Sorry, dude, you have been a dishonorable ass all season (for love, barf), so I am not going to excuse him just for the last minute change of heart. Is Rosalind supposed to be grateful for that?

I liked the Rosalind/Benvolio scene, but I thought the Benvolio actor was doing all the heavy lifting in that scene. Rosalind can't cry convincingly, lol.

Still, this was an enjoyable fluffy show, so of course it's cancelled. Boo. I hope I will see the Benvolio actor again somewhere. He is good.

I liked this final episode. Unfortunately, it left me wanting more.

I was glad Livia finally got wise to Paris, but mad that she was forced to marry him. Ugh. He is a snake through and through. And I do not buy his alleged soft spot for Livia.

Speaking of snakes - of course Lord Montague killed his brother. Is anyone besides Rosaline and Benvolio on this show now trash?

Is it wrong to call Escalus a fuckboi? Because his actions scream that to me. Did not care when he got shot down. 

Rosaline and Benvolio are so wonderful together. Their scene in the prison was so full of angst, and longing. I totally believe they have fallen for each other, even if they're not ready to admit it. I could easily have watched another season of their adventures in and around Verona. Ah well. Hope I can see these actors in something new soon.

Edited by Gillian Rosh

That was a hell of a cliffhanger!  Can't wait to see how they resolve it next seaso..... oh, wait.

Glad Benvolio avoided the guillotine after Escalus finally removed his royal head from his royal ass, and spared him.  Had this show continued on, I wonder if Escalus would have survived that shot or not.  Since it looked closer to the shoulder and on the opposite side of where his heart is, I'm guessing yes, and they would have likely tried to continue a form of love triangle between him, Rosaline, and Benvolio, even though I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have gotten anywhere close to topping Rosaline/Benvolio in the chemistry department.

So, Lord Montague actually poisoned his own brother/Benvolio's dad and that's how he became head of the family.  Actually, from what we've seen him, that really isn't surprising from good old Lord Montague.  Really enjoyed Grant Bowler in this role.

I always enjoy whenever an antagonist suddenly realizes that the person they've align with it way beyond evil, so seeing Lady Capulet realize just how much of a psycho Paris was was great.  Glad she told Lord Capulet, but it looks like they're prisoners in their own house.  Still likely better off then poor Livia.

One good thing about never officially getting an ending is getting to make my own up, so I totally believe that no matter what happened, Isabella ended up on the throne.  She's so much smarter then her dumb, daft brother. 

Farewell, Still Star-Crossed.  You might have not been award-worthy or anything, but you were a good few steps above a lot of summer fare, complete with decent production values, watchable characters, and good acting.  Of course you had no chance.  Sigh....

• Love 5

I am so sad to see this show end. 

What can I say about Ben and Roz?  Their teary goodbye kiss was EVERYTHING!  I wish they could stick around so that I could see their love grow.

On 7/31/2017 at 9:06 PM, Gillian Rosh said:

I was glad Livia finally got wise to Paris, but mad that she was forced to marry him. Ugh. He is a snake through and through. And I do not buy his alleged soft spot for Livia.

Although I wholeheartedly agree that Paris is a snake in the grass, I do buy his love for Livia. It's that love that's going to make this situation so much worse for her.  She'd be much better off if Paris cared nothing for her and only wanted her for her name/status.  If that were the case, she and Paris could eventually settle into a loveless marriage and live their own lives, only coming together for the sake of appearances.  Because Paris really does love Livia and he's experienced what it's like for her to freely and enthusiastically give him her love and body, he's not going to want to settle for anything less.  You could tell by the way he threw that, "you're my wife!" in her face.  He wants Livia whether she wants him now or not. Poor Liv.  She's  in a mess. I hate that I can't see how it all ends.

Well, at least they answered my question as to why LM and Tessa hated BenV so much and treated him so badly.  They felt guilty over killing his father and they resented him for it. They are so foul.

<sigh> I will miss you, SSC!  You were great while you lasted.

• Love 3
On 7/29/2017 at 8:22 PM, Enero said:

Rosalind/Benvolio were great as usual. I think he's already fallen for her. She's close to feeling the same for him

I think they totally have fallen for each other.

On 7/29/2017 at 8:42 PM, Irlandesa said:

I'm not quite sure why learning his uncle murdered his father is important or how they'd weave that into the season.  The Paris cliffhanger was much better.

I think it was to put Lord M at the same (despicable) level as everyone but Rosalind, Livia and Benvolio.  I guess they felt hey needed to take him down a peg or two.

On 7/30/2017 at 7:28 AM, Enero said:

Did anyone else notice that the Friar had returned to Verona as well and was in the crowd at the execution?

I did!  I too wonder wht he came back...

On 8/1/2017 at 10:48 PM, thuganomics85 said:

Really enjoyed Grant Bowler in this role.

One good thing about never officially getting an ending is getting to make my own up, so I totally believe that no matter what happened, Isabella ended up on the throne.  She's so much smarter then her dumb, daft brother.

I hated Grant Bowler in Defiance, but loved all the cast here.

Three cheers for Queen Isabella, the rightful tuler of Verona.

• Love 1