Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: Game Night Is The New Black

• Start Topic

A part of me thought I misheard that Wendy Williams comment. I'm glad to have it confirmed.

I have no idea who Matt Iseman is but he was surprisingly good at the games. I liked in the drawing game how he would start over if someone was not getting what he was drawing.

• Love 1

So I missed the very beginning of this episode, but overall I thought this was a better one for this season. I liked Matt Iseman's energy - he seemed to be having a lot of fun but didn't need to step all over everyone else to do it like some try-Hards I could mention. In fact, with the exception of Taye Diggs' casual lope in the block-head game, everyone took the games seriously without going over the top.

I don't know if it's the haircut or what, but Natasha Lyonne and Shelly Long should book a project where they play the same character at different times in her life.

I did get where Taye Diggs was coming from in the Taylor Swift/Swiffer question - I interpreted "who's been around longer" to mean "who's had the longer career". Of course, I also got the solar system question wrong, so there's a chance I'm just kind of an idiot.

I know we've discussed the episodes airing out of order, and I think this one was originally intended to come a bit earlier in the season, based on the somewhat lengthy explanation about moving to the backyard. After 4 episodes, we know there's a new set ( I'm not allowing for the possibility of new viewers turning in. This show doesn't even seem to have a promoted hashtag - it's not growing its audience.)

Auto Tune gets my vote for worst game of the night. Beyond them being allowed to sing the title of the song, I literally could not understand what anyone was saying/singing. I actually surprisingly enjoyed Pop Secret (or whatever the popcorn game is called) - the questions weren't too out there, and none of the celebrities overreacted to getting sprayed with some popcorn.

Aaron's surprising come-from-behind victory in 7 Seconds of Frame was both very exciting and a little disappointing. I felt like the female civilian had a much stronger game overall and should have gone to the final round, but it really was impressive to watch him get all those right. And I did love Cheryl Hines' disbelief face when he won - it's like she and I were feeling the same feelings.

The final round was a little anticlimactic after that, I have to say. Cheryl & Taye were both good clue givers, and, apart from Sarah Palin, Aaron managed to get the right answer from some vague clues. Although, really - how you clue Sarah Palin without saying Alaska or she can see Russia from her house, I just don't know.

10 minutes ago, swimmyfish said:

Although, really - how you clue Sarah Palin without saying Alaska or she can see Russia from her house, I just don't know.

Conversely, how do you not get Sarah Palin after hearing she ran for vice-president and she wore glasses?

• Love 3

Of course, I also got the solar system question wrong, so there's a chance I'm just kind of an idiot.

I'm embarrassed to admit I got that wrong too. I mean, if you think about it long enough you realize it's a trick question, but having to answer quickly it seems so obvious! 

I thought both contestants did well, but it seemed to me the second guy got much easier clues in that frame game.

Conversely, how do you not get Sarah Palin after hearing she ran for vice-president and she wore glasses?

He knew who Tim Gunn was but not Sarah Palin. I think that speaks for itself.

• Love 2

I was surprised with the Solar System answer.  I was like "The sun!  It's only 1 star!" but then realized she must have been thinking our galaxy? maybe?  And then listening to the podcast and reading here, I realized it did trip a lot of people up.  I wouldn't have classified it as a trick question, but I guess it was.

I thought this one was pretty good.  None of the celebrities were overly annoying (Matt Iseman might have been if we hadn't had some other recent examples, and it seems obvious he was encouraged to do a few of the things like the Ninja Warrior intro for Jane). I agree with the podcast that Gabby Douglas was a bit weaker in the gameplay (probably cost her contestant the win with a few bad plays in the final game), but I'd invite everyone back.

Didn't like the new drawing game (or pretty much any drawing games).  I did think it was a bit of strange conceit that Jane has an art gallery (with paintings, not sculptures) in her backyard, but I liked the game. 

Four for four this season on celebrities playing with the band coming back from a commercial. Guess that's definitely a thing they think people like...

I wasn't too thrilled with any of the celebs, though I did like Natasha's boobs/glasses story, and I actually liked the contestants more than the celebs. I wish they both could have won.

I like the new game, 7 Seconds of Frame. 

I think Taye was kind of stuck in 7 Seconds of Frame mode when he began the Final Round. It was like he thought he couldn't speaking sentences. Or maybe he was just being concise. :) Anyway, it was pretty good. I do think it was odd that neither he nor Cheryl said Sarah Palin was the governor of Alaska who ran for VP. It sometimes felt like they didn't think they could say certain words. 

The backyard game was "Seven Seconds A Frame" (not "of") -- that's the standard speed movies are shot at.  Much looser than $n000 Pyramid -- "sheepdog" would not have been allowed on ANY version of that show.

A good close game, with an exciting last game.  The Sarah Palin clues were weird.

22 hours ago, sugarbaker design said:

I still maintain it was a simple question not a trick question.  The civilian didn't know that our solar system consists of one star and 8 or 9 planets.  

What makes it a trick is the time limit and the pressurized circumstances. When I'm in my right mind, I know perfectly well that our solar system has only one star, but if I'm trying to think fast to avoid getting hit, my mind conflates "solar system" with "everything in space" and I foolishly think there's an uncountable number of stars up there. I'd be wrong, and I'd ridicule myself afterward, but I think it was a cleverly contrived question for this situation.

Taye Diggs seemed more awake and into it this time than he has on prior occasions and other game shows.

On 7/21/2017 at 1:02 AM, gpgurl50 said:

A part of me thought I misheard that Wendy Williams comment. I'm glad to have it confirmed.

I just got done watching this episode and Wendy was the winning answer for the last game. I had the closed captioning on and still seem to have missed the comment you mentioned?

3 hours ago, Jaded said:

I just got done watching this episode and Wendy was the winning answer for the last game. I had the closed captioning on and still seem to have missed the comment you mentioned?

From memory, I think one of the clues given for Wendy Williams referred to her as being very masculine-looking.