Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: The Worm Turns

The fourth and final season opens when out of the ashes of humanity’s nuclear war, Night Eternal has begun. Haunted by the atrocities committed by his son, Eph abandons NYC for Philadelphia. His solitude is cut short when he encounters new fighters who rekindle his drive to fight back. Tasked by Setrakian, Fet and Quinlan search for a new means of stopping the Master.

Strong premiere. I love the Fet/Quinlan team. They are humorous and intense at the same time. Those women were lucky that he was in the process of escaping when Quinlan got there. It was way too coincidental that his fellow prisoner worked in a nuclear silo, but I am going with it. I noticed that Vasily's eyes looked lighter this season. Not sure if it was just the new lighting.

I don't get why Eph is one his own and why Dutch isn't with Fet and Quinlan. I like that we are seeing what is happening in the world outside of NYC and are meeting new characters.

The actor who plays Zach has grown up and is so tall now. I have tried to be tolerant of Zach because he is a child, but it was hard to believe that he would trigger the bomb and even more difficult to believe that he isn't missing his father and is so strongly allied with the Master and Eichhorst. Zach has got to be wondering why they are keeping him close. It hasn't occurred to him that the strigoi child is actually his prison warden not his playmate?

The previews make me dread this season. Just the idea of the strigoi/human babies makes my skin crawl. I really hope that Dutch isn't captured and impregnated. Besides I don't know why the Master would want to risk producing more Quinlan's.  I also hope that Abraham captured by Eichhorst is a nightmare.

• Love 1

We  all hate Zach... Everything else was cool... I wonder if Quinlan has a crush on fet's girl... I think he does... Where was Gus... Setrakian... Dutch??... If eph hooks up with the rebel lady... How long before she dies? 

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I have tried to be tolerant of Zach because he is a child,

Kid or not, just remember that he's a dangerous psychopath.

I was actually bored this episode. I always thought the show was at its strongest when the "band" was together. They've been moving away from that since season one.

Yeah Zach got nora killed.. Then bombed the country I can't believe I'm typing this but I hope the kid gets killed... I hope the show doesn't chicken out and try to do sone redemption crap at the last minute... The kid has been a douche since the show started.. Even when he was a different actor..  Just keep on this path and let him be put down... And ima need someone from the main crew to tell eph that his kid is a piece of crap... Not poor zach.. He's a messed up kid... No... Hey eph ur kid is the worst... 

• Love 9

A good season premiere.

I am a little put off at how quickly the Master set up his regime after the nuke. They acknowledge there's fallout, but none of the humans seem bothered by the effects of radiation. Until I saw the teeth of the woman Eph was treating I thought it was obvious she had radiation sickness, but nope.

Eph was semi tolerable, but not by much. He's way too glib about the state of the world. Maybe it's how he lives with knowing he raised the psychopath who made the end of the world even worse?

I hope the professor is alive off screen somewhere and not dead, even if he's with Dutch.

Zach, just die. Please, please just die.

I wonder if there will be flashbacks to the missing 9 months this season.  Because I'm very confused.

End of season 3 - Zach sets of 1 nuke in NYC which frees the master and causes nuclear winter in NYC.  Humanity pretty much loses battle for NYC.

Beginning of season 4. Strigoi control all of the USA (or the world? Or the east coast?).  Many nukes have been fired by the US (or worldwide?)

That's a huge jump.  Did the US government resort to launching nukes at infected cities?  Did the Americans interpret the nuke in NYC as a Russian attack which led to global nuclear war?  Why would the rest of the country be affected by nuclear winter from 1 nuke in New York?

• Love 1

When we first meet Fet he says something about the strigoi and collaborates taking the nukes in the silos (though where? maybe I heard wrong) and then the guy Fet meets in the barn says San Francisco is gone.  So maybe in the aftermath of the NY bomb, the Master had others set off.

Setrakian must be hidden somewhere, maybe with Dutch.  In Fet's dream he said they need the face of God to defeat the strigoi, the sun maybe?

"That boy is unworthy" even Eichorst knows that Zach is the worst.  I sort of admire the show's commitment to making that kid so awful.  His cleaning lady is doomed.

I like Palmer as the Master better than Palmer as Palmer.

• Love 1

It's kind of funny that on Sunday, David Bradley played characters on both The Strain and Game of Thrones and 

Spoiler

neither of them was actually there.

• Love 1

I wondered if David Bradley was only available to film that one scene because he was filming GoT.

2 hours ago, raven said:

I like Palmer as the Master better than Palmer as Palmer.

Master/Palmer freaks me out. The actor is so convincing.

• Love 1

Oh barf, Zach can die anytime. I know this is a show with lots of violence against humans but as soon as I saw Zach walking through the zoo with the gun I knew I had to fast forward through that. I have to DVR the show because of time. That is a blessing in disguise at times and this was the time. Zach is trying to be the winner in the bad hair race against Daryl and Carl of TWD and Nick of FTWD.

• Love 1

Whelp, I see The Strain still has this bizarre fascination with Zach, that it's gotten to the point where Master Palmer doesn't just see potential him, but is possibly grooming for him to take over.  I really am questioning Master Palmer's judgment here.  Best part was how understandably pissed off Eichorst was about everything pertaining to Zach.  It would be fucking hilarious if this causes Eichorst to quit or even betray The Master.  Even evil Nazi vampires can only handle so much!

So, after the nuclear blast, the Strigoi have pretty much taken over and the humans are just trying to get by.  Meanwhile, our merry band of heroes are pretty much off doing their own things.  Eph is just traipsing around Philadelphia and doing odd jobs.  Fet and Quinlan are off somewhere trying to find a nuclear warhead, with a bunch of rebels.  Oh, and Fet has found another girlfriend and this time it is Rhona Mirta!  Nice going, Fet!  And then Abe and Dutch are.... well, where were they, exactly?

Hey, Roman/Fet's new buddy was K.C. Collins a.k.a. Hale from Lost Girl!

I guess they were able to get Natalie Brown off the Dark Matter set for a bit, to play The Master pretending to be Kelly in order to get stupid Zach to feel good about himself or some shit.

• Love 1

His cleaning lady is doomed.

She's Zach's reward.  Yuck.  The Master gave him a girlfriend.

I wonder if Quinlan has a crush on fet's girl... I think he does.

I picked up on something, too.  It might just be that he wishes he could have a human relationship.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Josette said:

I picked up on something, too.  It might just be that he wishes he could have a human relationship.

I sensed that Quinlan was thinking about the lost love that he told Gus about when they first met.  I wonder if the Master killed her. Quinlan and his past love is one flashback that I would enjoy.

Ever since they showed Quinlan licking blood off his sword last season, I have been wondering what he has been eating. He doesn't have the worms to infect anyone, correct?