Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E08: The Things We Do For Love

• Start Topic

I mean, I guess on some level, I get Steve opening up to Kelly about this because there's only three other females in The Gang and 1) he's on the outs with Claire and 2) Donna would be no help in this situation.  But I still think it sucks, knowing full well that Val and Kel are not and never have been close, that he sells Valerie out like this.  The writers could have come up with some other way for Kelly to expose the pregnancy/abortion lie if that's what they wanted to do.

Were we meant to sympathize with David vs. Mel, even as stupid youngsters when this episode first aired?  I feel like we were, but he's written as such a pissy bitch in this episode, it's impossible to.

I can report that we DO see Cliff again, but I believe at a juncture where we're supposed to be rooting for Donna/David, blech.

• Love 2

I wish that Donna picked Cliff.  David is just a jerk to her compared to when he was with Valerie and Claire. 

I remember Donna seeing both Cliff and David and Kelly didn't care that her brother was getting cheated on.  Nice work Kel... 

I think there is a soap opera trope where if a character is written as too awful, they suddenly have a mental illness to walk their behavior back. I mean, if it's not one already, it should be. I feel like I've seen it a lot of times where instead of going through a whole redemption story, this appears as a quick fix. I do think mental illness should be explored and talked about in entertainment but sometimes I think it is used poorly.

Also, yes Val is not behaving well but it feels really contrived how they always start these fights between Kelly and Val. Like Kelly and Brenda were in love with the same guy. That seems like something teenage girls would fight over. Then there's stuff like Kelly was once mad at Val because Val skipped a couple of classes or that Val smoked pot in her bedroom. That has nothing to do with Kelly. Also, Kelly normally wouldn't have even heard about this abortion at all, yet she delights in busting Val to everyone. Again, I don't excuse Val's behavior but it's just this pattern of Kelly getting all upset about stuff that has nothing to do with her.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, gpgurl50 said:

Also, yes Val is not behaving well but it feels really contrived how they always start these fights between Kelly and Val.

And the big retcon is coming that their feud is because Kelly ruined Valerie's chance with Brandon at the end of the season 5 finale.  Never mind that they had been feuding for close to a year already at that point.  Whatever, Show.

Yeah the retcon of
Why Val hates kelly is so confusing to me and I think I remember that kelly gets a good line "so is he the person you're in love with or is he your family that I'm taking away" something like that because it doesn't make sense at all that all of a sudden Val is in love with him. Just because they want a triangle redux, I guess.

I giggled with glee about the Seattle vs. Vancouver debate but prickled when they mentioned my hometown of San Francisco (which I think @Tara Ariano has called the most-overrated city every).  And... when I worked downtown, there were two Starbucks kiddy corner to each other, which made meeting someone at the Starbucks on New Montgomery and Market very tough. 

As for Steve, I can give him a pass.  See, guys would put their past aside to help each other out (didn't Brandon and Dylan do that on several occasions, like the Indian lodge?) but for Kelly she wouldn't even think that maybe she should butt out or just be sympathetic.  If I were Val, I would just let Kelly "help" since that gal cannot let go of a bone.  

And of course, Kelly is so gorgeous that Kenny hit on her.  Val cannot have ANYONE who wasn't first in love with Kelly. 

• Love 1

Man, what the eff is with the hair, Donna and Claire? Those are the worst messes I've ever seen. And poor Steve's is becoming more cotton candyish as it thins (not that there's anything wrong with that but he needed to cut it shorter instead of encouraging the fluff).

• Love 1

Had to laugh at the debate, but I live in Houston where we have the infamous Starbucks across the street from another Starbucks, that has a Barnes and Noble next door with a Starbucks in it, and a grocery store a block down from that with a Starbucks.  Seriously you can't throw a water balloon in any direction in that intersection and not hit a Starbucks, but I digress.  I was a teenager when this story line was onscreen, and I was really annoyed that instead of having a compelling story of Val having an abortion, and women sincerely helping other women, even if they were adversaries, we got a fake pregnancy, fake abortion, and Kelly using it to yet again expose Val and be a bitch.  I think it was around this time that I really stopped watching the show for the most part, I'd never been a devoted fan, and having the Val aborts a pillow and then Kelly is a bitch about it storyline wasn't enough to keep me interested.  Although if they had given Val a real abortion storyline, I'm not sure that this show wouldn't have just made it 10 kinds of terrible, so I guess they did save us from having to watch that.  

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:33 AM, WhosThatGirl said:

Yeah the retcon of
Why Val hates kelly is so confusing to me and I think I remember that kelly gets a good line "so is he the person you're in love with or is he your family that I'm taking away" something like that because it doesn't make sense at all that all of a sudden Val is in love with him. Just because they want a triangle redux, I guess.

Just like with Steve and Kelly's sexual history earlier in this season, it was a retcon that was both egregious and pointless.  Valerie and Kelly hating each other didn't need a new origin story, we saw how it started!

• Love 1
On 7/10/2017 at 0:34 PM, Earmuffs Mom said:

Cliff comes back later this season.  Donna has to "choose" between him and David while her parents are on their boat.  I don't remember why he comes back though.

He comes back because Donna (and her boob canyon) is apparently "unforgettable" and he couldn't get her out of his mind.  giphy.gif

The thing that bugged me the most about Kelly in this episode (not that I need much prompting cause that stank bitch is annoying and sanctimonious all the damn time...ahem), is that she jumped real quick to the assumption that Valerie was faking based on little to no data.  So what if she was? All Kelly knew is that Val lied about Kenny being there; but why wouldn't she...they aren't friends.  I don't care what kind of dire straights I'm in, a "friend" like Kelly is the last person I would call, even if I was dying, cause she's a bitch about everything.

• Love 3

Yeah.. I get that Steve didn't know what to do, and yes steve has his own faults but even he feels the feels as you say when someone he considers a friend is in real trouble. I only wish he wasn't so easily sided to Kelly by episode end because he did try. In his way.

• Love 1
On 7/15/2017 at 2:09 PM, luckyroll3 said:

He comes back because Donna (and her boob canyon) is apparently "unforgettable" and he couldn't get her out of his mind.  giphy.gif

The thing that bugged me the most about Kelly in this episode (not that I need much prompting cause that stank bitch is annoying and sanctimonious all the damn time...ahem), is that she jumped real quick to the assumption that Valerie was faking based on little to no data.  So what if she was? All Kelly knew is that Val lied about Kenny being there; but why wouldn't she...they aren't friends.  I don't care what kind of dire straights I'm in, a "friend" like Kelly is the last person I would call, even if I was dying, cause she's a bitch about everything.

YES!  This is the worst.  The facts are that Val was seeing a married man and said she was pregnant and Steve overhears the abortion discussion.  Val lying about Kenny could mean that A.  She's embarrassed that he stood her up and is covering it up B. Is mad that she's in this position and just wanted to deal with this on her own.  C. She's lying about this whole thing (WTF?).  What normal person jumps to conclusion C? 

And as for driving  home, Val should have just taken a cab both ways.  

• Love 1