Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E02: Diaspora

raven

Jackson and Logan discover a link between the hybrid attacks that occur in Portland and New York; Mitch is interrogated by a woman claiming to be his daughter, Clementine; and a new development in Abraham’s research into the sterility crisis endangers his family.

Wow !! They did not take the bat-shit crazy down a notch at all in the follow-up to the S3 premiere.

The blood from the hybrid rhino turned into an embryo and developed a hard shell -- while at the same time broadcasting a radio signal (it had to be a radio signal since it was blocked by a Faraday cage) that attracted a pack of hybrid wolves that broke into Abe/Dariela's house and attacked Abe in order to retrieve the egg, but didn't kill anyone. 

Jamie and Clementine A show up in Siberia on the plane -- but not before Clementine A discovers that Jamie is holding a Shepherd captive in the cages in the plane -- and Jamie manages to single-handedly take down the Shepherd security detail after they land.  It was pretty impressive -- Jamie really has come into her own as a kickass (even with only 9 toes) and looking quite stylish while doing it.

Mitch and Clementine B attempt an escape from the compound in Siberia, and Clementine B helps Mitch escape by defeating the other IADG captors (who were in fact Shepherds).

And then we get the Battle of the Clementines -- as Mitch and Clementine B meet up with Clementine A.  And as Clementine A tries to pull proof from her coat to prove who she is, Mitch shoots her.  At which point Clementine B reveals she has been playing the long con and threatens Mitch if he doesn't reveal his knowledge of Blue Disapora (whatever that is) -- only for Clementine B to be gunned down by Jamie with extreme prejudice.
Clementine B is truly dead.

Clementine A -- to be known going forward simply as Clementine -- gets patched up by Jamie (it was just an arm wound, but Jamie is also apparently a field medic now), and Jamie and Mitch get a chance to reconnect.

Logan discovers that Jackson is living in Portland and travels there to find out what he knows about the simultaneous explosions in Portland and New York -- only Jackson is pretending to be Dylan, probably because his hot girlfriend, Tessa, hates Jackson Oz.  They discover another piece of gear with the weird insignia and this leads the mad bomber to contact Jackson by phone -- and then we find out from DNA evidence on the mystery item that the mad bomber is ....... dun, dun, dun, dun ........ Jackson's sister, Abigail Westbrook.

And on top of all that, soldiers show up at Abe/Dariela's farm to talk to them as ruse so that the soldiers could steal Isaac at the behest of Reiden Global (those evil fuckers -- spreaders of the Mother Cell that caused the defiant pupil problem in the first place) to put Isaac in a trial for a protocol to reverse world-wide sterility.  Which leads to a slo-mo chase by Abe/Dariela following a truck full of kidnapped children being driven away.  Funny thing -- the military left one of their men behind in Abe's house -- I suspect Abe may have a word with him.

And if that wasn't enough, even though the world-wide population is sterile -- Clementine is pregnant.  We have no idea who the father is.  Where's Maury Povich when you need him ?

FYI -- the animal hybrid CGI continues to be terrible.

• Love 3

Weird that Mitch in a bottle aged more than everyone in the real world.

Mitch shooting Clem. Worst. Dad. Ever. And if I were Clementine I wouldn't let that slide so quickly.

And no, Raiden Global? Every time they put their "input" on anything  they only make things worse.

And if that wasn't enough, even though the world-wide population is sterile -- Clementine is pregnant.  We have no idea who the father is.  Where's Maury Povich when you need him ?

Now they're cribbing a plot from PD James' Children of Men. 

• Love 1
(edited)
48 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Wow !! They did not take the bat-shit crazy down a notch at all in the follow-up to the S3 premiere.

For all the crazy, its the small things that make me do the Scooby Doo double take.

Jamie and Clementine A show up in Siberia on the plane -- but not before Clementine A discovers that Jamie is holding a Shepherd captive in the cages in the plane --

I'm fascinated that the triple decker plane has a secret room with a cell in it,  Was that already there or did Jamie have it built?  I don't remember anyone having to find the hidden button to get to the cage before.  If Jamie had it built, do you think she told someone it was her mile high sex dungeon?  The plane continues to be the fortress of plot shortcuts.  No idea how they get a Shepard captive randomly giving them intel to move from point A to point B.... Jamie just carts his ass around the globe in a plane because that makes sense.

And then we get the Battle of the Clementines -- as Mitch and Clementine B meet up with Clementine A.  And as Clementine A tries to pull proof from her coat to prove who she is, Mitch shoots her.  At which point Clementine B reveals she has been playing the long con and threatens Mitch if he doesn't reveal his knowledge of Blue Disapora (whatever that is) -- only for Clementine B to be gunned down by Jamie with extreme prejudice.

Keeping secrets from the audience just makes the characters look stupid.  The complete disregard that Jamie showed for Mitch and Clementine telegrpahed that Clementine A wasn't dead.  Jamie would have looked like less of a self absorbed ass if Clementine were wearing some futuristic bullet proof body armor rather than being shot in the arm.  She cared not at all that Clementine was shot and possibly dead at Mitch's hand.

Clementine A -- to be known going forward simply as Clementine -- gets patched up by Jamie (it was just an arm wound, but Jamie is also apparently a field medic now), and Jamie and Mitch get a chance to reconnect.

Which is hilarious in that Jamie and Mitch reconnecting was important enough that Clementine had to leave.  I'm sorry Zoo, but no matter how hard you try, Jamie doesn't trump a father / daughter relationship.  Although I'm beginning to think maybe there is a Clementine C and Clementine B killed her and stole the parking ticket.  Clementine A did a better job at playing Mitch's daghter.

Logan discovers that Jackson is living in Portland and travels there to find out what he knows about the simultaneous explosions in Portland and New York -- only Jackson is pretending to be Dylan, probably because his hot girlfriend, Tessa, hates Jackson Oz.  They discover another piece of gear with the weird insignia and this leads the mad bomber to contact Jackson by phone -- and then we find out from DNA evidence on the mystery item that the mad bomber is ....... dun, dun, dun, dun ........ Jackson's sister, Abigail Westbrook

I love the little things like Logan showing Jackson the DNA results and the pop up window waiting until Logan delivers the news to say "sibling match".  The machine can't dramatically deliver this news, but the machine must confirm because Logan is a known liar.

And on top of all that, soldiers show up at Abe/Dariela's farm to talk to them as ruse so that the soldiers could steal Isaac at the behest of Reiden Global (those evil fuckers -- spreaders of the Mother Cell that caused the defiant pupil problem in the first place) to put Isaac in a trial for a protocol to reverse world-wide sterility.  Which leads to a slo-mo chase by Abe/Dariela following a truck full of kidnapped children being driven away.  

Convenient way to get Abe and Daniela into the hybrid fight, without having to drag a kid along or "abandon" him while taking risks that might leave him an orphan.

I'm sorry, but i laughed at the truck of kids at the end. None of those kids looked like they just got snatcched out of their homes.  Its like they stole children that were extras in some revival of the The Grapes of Wrath.  And the best way to covertly steal kids is to drive them all around in a truck with a chicken wire cage rather than, I don't know a school bus or a fleet of SUVs.  But the imagery...

Edited by ParadoxLost
  • Love 2
(edited)

Well, the Jackson/Dylan thing is a bit strange.  Who is the guy on the "Shepherd Hunters United" website who seems to be taking the fall for Jackson's misdeeds?  (And isn't it a bit strange that there would be a SHU website at all?  Especially one that Jacklan/Dylson can access?)

It didn't take Reiden Global long to become public enemy #1 with the new, uber-ethical "Kidnap a bunch of kids" plan.  At least it is likely to knock Abe/Dariela out of their state of domestic bliss, and lead to them tooling up and kicking some ass.  Although, I must say the Faraday Cage with the loosely fitting, just-waiting-to-fall-off cover was not up to Abe's usual standard of competence.  But I guess his swift promotion from Guide/Gun-Bearer to Doctor may have affected his performance in some way.

Weird aeroplane.  Or do all big planes come equipped with dungeons?

Didn't expect the crazy beyotch bomber to turn out to be Jacklan's sister.  Why do I have no memory of the fact that he even had a sister?  I remember Mummy and Daddy, but no siblings.

I honestly didn't know which Clem was the real Clem... right up until Mitch fired.  But I knew from the start that whoever he shot, would be the genuine article.  

We are going to have to keep score for Jamie.

• Enhanced Interrogation: 1
  • Expedient Demise: 1
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Jamie really has come into her own as a kickass (even with only 9 toes) and looking quite stylish while doing it.

She really is looking good.  But I'm sure the hatchet took off more than one toe.  I'm guestimating 7 toes remain.  

Edited by Netfoot
  • Love 2

I imagine a lot of people blame the Ozes for this mess, so I don't blame Jackson for changing his name.

Guys, remember how the plane kept mysteriously cleaning itself last season? Just assume, like I did, that those plane cleaners also built the dungeon.

Did we ever determine last year why after the sterility bit became news there weren't stampede to sperm and egg banks?

Mitch is back! "I have no idea what's going on but that's our signal to leave".

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, Netfoot said:

…Didn't expect the crazy beyotch bomber to turn out to be Jacklan's sister.  Why do I have no memory of the fact that he even had a sister?  I remember Mummy and Daddy, but no siblings.

…[Jamie] really is looking good.  But I'm sure the hatchet took off more than one toe.  I'm guestimating 7 toes remain.  

If Jackson can get a sister, I wouldn't be surprised if Jaimie's toes get retconned back. 

I turned on CBS a couple of minutes before it started but fell asleep until 11 minutes into the episode. I guess I didn't miss anything worth going back to watch? No angry zebras or sharks in bikinis? No explanations as to what's going on? Most importantly, no Mitch snarks in the first 10 minutes?

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

You're good; no Mitch snark in the first 10 minutes.

I have to say, scheduling it right after the brain trust that is Big Brother makes this show seem on a par with Nova or Frontline.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

I'm fascinated that the triple decker plane has a secret room with a cell in it,  Was that already there or did Jamie have it built?  I don't remember anyone having to find the hidden button to get to the cage before.  If Jamie had it built, do you think she told someone it was her mile high sex dungeon?  The plane continues to be the fortress of plot shortcuts.  No idea how they get a Shepard captive randomly giving them intel to move from point A to point B.... Jamie just carts his ass around the globe in a plane because that makes sense.

Which is hilarious in that Jamie and Mitch reconnecting was important enough that Clementine had to leave.  I'm sorry Zoo, but no matter how hard you try, Jamie doesn't trump a father / daughter relationship.  Although I'm beginning to think maybe there is a Clementine C and Clementine B killed her and stole the parking ticket.  Clementine A did a better job at playing Mitch's daghter.

I'm sorry, but i laughed at the truck of kids at the end. None of those kids looked like they just got snatcched out of their homes.  Its like they stole children that were extras in some revival of the The Grapes of Wrath.  And the best way to covertly steal kids is to drive them all around in a truck with a chicken wire cage rather than, I don't know a school bus or a fleet of SUVs.  But the imagery...

The plane always had cages -- only they were designed to be used to hold animals that had the defiant pupil (remember that, but since all the animals are cured all we have to worry about are the hybrids).  

There has to be a Clem D and Clem E kicking around as well -- but it is nice to see that Jamie is back to her murdering ways.  Last episode was a bit of a dry spell.

That scene of the kids in the truck was pretty hilarious because none of the kids seemed upset all that upset that they had been stolen from their parents and were being trucked away forever.

6 hours ago, Netfoot said:

Well, the Jackson/Dylan thing is a bit strange.  Who is the guy on the "Shepherd Hunters United" website who seems to be taking the fall for Jackson's misdeeds?  (And isn't it a bit strange that there would be a SHU website at all?  Especially one that Jacklan/Dylson can access?)

Didn't expect the crazy beyotch bomber to turn out to be Jacklan's sister.  Why do I have no memory of the fact that he even had a sister?  I remember Mummy and Daddy, but no siblings.

Yeah, that was weird -- who would have scrubbed the Internet of all pictures of Jackson and replaced him with an ersatz stand-in ?  That just seems odd.

Jackson has never mentioned a sister before, but I bet she is a half sister from his dad.

If they built a continent long wall (I wonder if it is covered with solar panels) to keep the hybrids contained on the west coast, how did this pack of hybrid wolves get all the way to Michigan to Abe's farm ?  Were they always nearby to hear the radio signal from the egg or did they travel all the way from the West Coast ?  And are the hybrid's bulletproof, because Dariela shot that hybrid wolf several times and it didn't even slow it down.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Free said:

This season is really reminding me of UTD when it had its 'weird' direction in its last season.

UTD's last season went weird? I baled in the first season when the young teen girlfriend was chained up in the bomb shelter and there were no legal repercussions. I guess all of Jamie's killings could be considered worse, but they just seem comically surreal to me.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

If they built a continent long wall (I wonder if it is covered with solar panels) to keep the hybrids contained on the west coast, how did this pack of hybrid wolves get all the way to Michigan to Abe's farm ?  Were they always nearby to hear the radio signal from the egg or did they travel all the way from the West Coast ?  And are the hybrid's bulletproof, because Dariela shot that hybrid wolf several times and it didn't even slow it down.

I'm thinking people brought them, either the IDGAF or Shepherds or whatever.  There are probably trained teams of hybrids everywhere, and they are bulletproof (like the hard shell egg, the exoskeleton bear).

I loved how when the hybrid was attacking in the house, Abe's dog was nowhere to be seen.  Smart doggie!

I think Jackson didn't know he had a sister, which is why we didn't know.  He didn't look particularly convinced about the "sibling match".

I'm enjoying the hell out of Jamie and her plane, complete with a cage for prisoners and a torture device,   I also laugh at Logan's little mustache; it looks wrong or something.

I was rooting for Clementine B, because Clementine A is annoying. 

Synthetic hormone?  What could possibly go wrong???

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, shapeshifter said:

UTD's last season went weird? I baled in the first season when the young teen girlfriend was chained up in the bomb shelter and there were no legal repercussions. I guess all of Jamie's killings could be considered worse, but they just seem comically surreal to me.

Yes, they went full on aliens (with magic pregnancy) and then finally took down the whole dome with special whistling.

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 11:00 PM, ottoDbusdriver said:

Since I don't expect the end of sterility to be that easy, I'm going with Clementine accidentally had a hybrid chicken dinner.  The hybrid is now growing into a creature inside her stomach rather than Clementine being pregnant

I'm expecting the birth scene from V or that scene from Alien.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ParadoxLost said:

Since I don't expect the end of sterility to be that easy, I'm going with Clementine accidentally had a hybrid chicken dinner.  The hybrid is now growing into a creature inside her stomach rather than Clementine being pregnant

I'm expecting the birth scene from V or that scene from Alien.

Argh. One thing that will alienate (pun not intended?) me from a show is a super-powered baby a là the original V, and now that you mention it, what else could they possibly have planned? 

That was the dumbest tv child abduction ever. You have guns in the house, stop screaming and use them like you did on the hybrid wolf thing.

Dude, Mitch spent the last ten years in a fish tank, he has no idea what you're on about with the blue diaspora.

5 hours ago, aliferous85 said:

That was the dumbest tv child abduction ever. You have guns in the house, stop screaming and use them like you did on the hybrid wolf thing.

Dude, Mitch spent the last ten years in a fish tank, he has no idea what you're on about with the blue diaspora.

Maybe Mitch only knows about the green diaspora or yellow diaspora, maybe even the red diaspora, but nothing about the blue diaspora.  </sarcasm>

Diaspora means scattering of peoples far from home -- how that relates to anything on this show I have no idea ?

22 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

Diaspora means scattering of peoples far from home -- how that relates to anything on this show I have no idea ?

The definition talks about group dispersion, so maybe some kind of color coding on a map (blue for hybrid wolves, yellow for people, green for hybrid rhinos..) though how the hell 10 years in a tank Mitch is supposed to know any of this, I have no idea.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

I miss the season one episode titles. Never mind.  3 x04 is called Welcome to the Terra Dome.  ha.

I was thinking about the child abduction and unless it was just to park Abe's kid off screen it could get very icky very fast.

They seemed to have picked up pre-pubescent kids.  So either they are going to find out if their plan worked when the kids are of legal age or this is going to get uncomfortable.

8 hours ago, aliferous85 said:

That was the dumbest tv child abduction ever. You have guns in the house, stop screaming and use them like you did on the hybrid wolf thing....

If this was a typical L&O-type show, the Exposition Fairy would have waved a wand over Abe and Dariela so they would have explained that it was too risky to shoot in their kid's direction. But since this is not that logical of a show, Dariela should have flexed her sharpshooter skills and taken out the kidnapper with a single bullet between the eyes—at least that would have been a much better plot resolution for me.
While I can appreciate the writers employing the kidnapping plot device to keep a child actor off stage for much of the time, have they never watched Lost? Nobody wants to watch parents wailing a kidnapped child's name for ten minutes every episode.

Why does it take that many soldiers to show them something on a tablet? That should be your first clue.

Where did all those other kids come from? Abe and Dariela weren't exactly living in a child plenty suburb.  Unless they were carting them about Pinocchio style from one town to another.

There are plenty of things Jackson didn't know about his father, though I am surprised there is a half sibling. Who hates him because he never knew of her existence. Because you shouldn't overcomplicate these things.

I miss the days when all they worried about was cats in trees, dumbass burglar bears and leopards. Do those again.

• Love 1

Hee!  I totally knew that Real Clementine was going to be the one with Jamie, since she was made to look all shifty and mysterious, while Fake Clementine with Mitch was nice, therefore, up to no good.  Plus, I knew the "7960" line was going to factor in, and the fact that the particular Clementine didn't know it, made me think the other one would.  But that's all done with after Mitch shoots the real one (Father of the Year, right there), Fake one goes all "Mwaah... I'm evil", only to get capped by Jamie (classic Jamie!)  Oh, and Clementine is pregnant, so she's immune to the virus.  Either that, or the father has some of the most powerful sperm of all time!

So, Jackson is actually hiding under a fake alias, because everyone hates the Ozs for help starting all of this.  But Logan sees a picture of him, so they've now been "reunited."  Also, it turns out that lady bomber last week is actually Jackson's sister and hates him for some reason.  Ah, family!

Reiden Global is back in the picture and has a plan to cure everyone of the virus.  It just happens to involve rounding up a bunch of children, which includes Abe and Dariela's.  Uh oh!