Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Feeling Raw

"I can't stand the thought of you with another man."  Really?  You think you own her?  That line alone would have made me kick him out the door.  MJ is still the same dumb-ass when it comes to sex, I see.  After what he did to her, and even more to Kara, if I were her, I would not only let another man touch me, I would send him pictures and hang (tasteful) glossies in my office.

• Love 4
12 hours ago, mrsbagnet said:

What did they do to this show?? The whole tone felt off. It felt like the filming style has changed and not in a good way.

I was thinking the same thing.  The entire thing felt like a dream sequence.  I was 100% certain that in the last shot MJ would wake up in bed next to Lee after this extended dream/nightmare.  But no, it looks like it's just her fucking up her life with awful, awful choices again.  

MJ, what is wrong with you???

I know she knows that you don't shit where you eat. And beyond that, she thinks Justin all of a sudden wants to have a relationship with her--after he stomped her to the curb the day before? How old is this woman? When he was at her apartment, his lines sounded so much like Eddie Murphy in Boomerang, I kept waiting for him to tell Mary Jane he can't breathe without her. And he kept her from meeting with the director she was 'using' for a date/PR move. Run, MJ. Justin wants to sabotage your career!!!!!!

l still enjoyed it, but it did seem less cohesive than usual. Jump to MJ, jump to Kara, jump to Atlanta parents. 

But, 'I'm glad we never had kids. You'd make a terrible mum." Daammmnnn, Lee. But MJ deserved that.

• Love 2

So I was able to watch a few clips online and there was one scene where Justin told MJ that he wasn't going to give up his girlfriend, and MJ was basically just a piece of ass, even though he didn't say those words exactly.  Is that how things ended between them?

Then I saw another scene where she told Lee that she had slept with Justin.  I wonder if Lee is gone for good.

4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

So I was able to watch a few clips online and there was one scene where Justin told MJ that he wasn't going to give up his girlfriend, and MJ was basically just a piece of ass, even though he didn't say those words exactly.  Is that how things ended between them?

Then I saw another scene where she told Lee that she had slept with Justin.  I wonder if Lee is gone for good.

No. The next day (a few days later?) she was home cooking dinner for a movie director she'd started dating. Justin conveniently came over immediately before the date and flashed those baby-blues, murmuring that he can't stand to see her with another man and that he can't live without her. 

And of course, MJ's simple behind took him straight to her new bed. 

RE Lee: At the beginning of the episode, MJ did tell Lee she'd slept with Justin. And Lee wisely told her that she was still that broken woman he'd met at the club who liked dating pricks who would break her into even more pieces. He's very right. I don't think he'll be back. 

• Love 2

Ok, thanks.  I did see another scene where the staff was sitting around the table and it was suggested that she start dating the movie director to increase her Q rating.  And then her dumb ass took Justin back???  After he told her that he was going to stay with his girlfriend???  

Now I did some dumbass things when I was young and in my twenties when it came to men, but even I wasn't that dumb back then, and by the time I was Mary Jane's age, I certainly had wised up.  SMDH.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Ok, thanks.  I did see another scene where the staff was sitting around the table and it was suggested that she start dating the movie director to increase her Q rating.  And then her dumb ass took Justin back???  After he told her that he was going to stay with his girlfriend???  

Now I did some dumbass things when I was young and in my twenties when it came to men, but even I wasn't that dumb back then, and by the time I was Mary Jane's age, I certainly had wised up.  SMDH.

What's interesting is that MJ is now very isolated. At least Kara used to call Mary Jane on her BS and give her helpful advice (even if MJ didn't always take it), but with Kara's firing, they are starting to grow apart. MJ seems to feel a little guilty/awkward. I can't remember--could she have done more to help Kara? Was Kara expecting MJ to walk out, too when she got fired?

4 minutes ago, topanga said:

What's interesting is that MJ is now very isolated. At least Kara used to call Mary Jane on her BS and give her helpful advice (even if MJ didn't always take it), but with Kara's firing, they are starting to grow apart. MJ seems to feel a little guilty/awkward. I can't remember--could she have done more to help Kara? Was Kara expecting MJ to walk out, too when she got fired?

I don't remember how things went down with Kara, I'll have to check previous episodes.  The last thing I remember about Kara is her going back to the baseball player.

• Love 1
(edited)

I think at least half of Kara's lines were dubbed this episode.  Perhaps the actor had lost her voice.

I mean, was MJ even ever into Lee, seriously?  

If you guys can imagine resisting Michael Ealy, you're better people than I.

I think Justin admitted he never had a girlfriend.  

Kara is hanging out with the girlfriends/wives of other baseball players on her man's team.  However, I found the one who was befriending her incredibly suspicious.  I also wasn't paying attention, but I don't think Kara should trust those women as far as she can throw a baseball.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 6
(edited)
18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Wait. So who's the sister he took to the Nets? Knicks? Mets game? 

18 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I think at least half of Kara's lines were dubbed this episode.  Perhaps the actor had lost her voice.

I mean, was MJ even ever into Lee, seriously?  

I didn't know that about Kara. Must re-watch. 

And yes, she always found fault with Lee. And it's okay if you don't connect with guy even though he's a "good black man." It's a waste of time for both of you to hang onto someone you just don't love or feel a connection. But that wasn't MJ's problem. She did feel connected to Lee, but she also felt he didn't have enough "swag." Really? He's a dad. In his early 40s (late 30s?) How much swag is he supposed to have? And why is MJ still looking for swag? Or maybe 'swag' is code for 'makes me doubt myself and question my worthiness.' She needs therapy, bad. 

And heck no, I couldn't resist Michael Ealy. But MJ should have been able to. Tee-hee. 

Edited by topanga
  • Love 2
37 minutes ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

Then that's just as bad then because he's a lying liar who lies.

I'll be the lone holdout who can resist Michael Ealy, lol.  When I first saw him in a movie several years ago, I thought he was a dreamboat.  Now, however, it looks like he's lost some weight in his face and even though he's got those beautiful eyes, he looks sickly to me.  But if we're talking about looks only, I'd still take him over Lee though.  Bless his heart.   

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

Then that's just as bad then because he's a lying liar who lies.

I'll be the lone holdout who can resist Michael Ealy, lol.  When I first saw him in a movie several years ago, I thought he was a dreamboat.  Now, however, it looks like he's lost some weight in his face and even though he's got those beautiful eyes, he looks sickly to me.  But if we're talking about looks only, I'd still take him over Lee though.  Bless his heart.   

I actually like him better now. His good looks are more rugged. He used to be too pretty for my taste. 

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, topanga said:

I actually like him better now. His good looks are more rugged. He used to be too pretty for my taste. 

Yes, he was "pretty" back then and that's not normally my taste either.  I like that his face shows more character as he's aged; however I'd like for his face to be a bit fuller because, as I said earlier, he just looks kinda sickly.

• Love 1

Godspeed, Lee; you were way too good for Mary Jane.  Remember?  She was always giving him shit for drinking tea, or the way he crossed his legs instead of "manspreading"  (which is one of the rudest fucking things in the world, IMHO.)  And what, Lee didn't rate high enough to christen that new mattress?  WTH?

I really liked Lee's goodbye speech--that he had tried to put together the pieces of the broken woman she had been when he met her, but it turns out she's looking for someone to break her down into smaller pieces.  Wow, good writing, good imagery--could apply to a lot of people.

The words coming out of MJ's mouth still make me roll my eyes, though.  "I slept with Justin!  Wait, did I just say that out loud?"  Really, show??  Pffft.

P.S.  I'm not really all that interested in the flashbacks revisiting Sug's adultery, or whatever those marital problems were, that they survived.  Who cares?   If we're branching out on the family tree, I'd rather see what's going on these days with MJ's two brothers.  YMMV

• Love 3

I forgot this was coming back on.  From what I remember  (and I usually miss episodes) Kara's issues had something to do with not vetting a source directly related to whatever ended up being Rhonda's reason for leaving.  They used her as the fall guy.  It was either that or when the other Latino woman at the station filed some type of harassment or discrimination complaint on her.  I do remember that Kara disliked her and said some things that were inappropriate, but the girl was also trying to play the game to get ahead.  I may be confusing two different seasons, but that is what I remember about Kara. 

I am not sure I am going to watch the episode from what I have read, ha ha.  In what season are they FINALLY going to let Mary Jane (and Niecy) grow up?  I am fine with showing a "flawed" character, but they want us to believe she is smart yet keep having her repeat the same dumb things. 

I have never been interested in her mother and father (or Niecy) but would love to see more on her older brother an even the younger one.  I was also hoping they would bring back the niece they never talk about if they are going to keep showing her family.  I would actually be perfectly fine  if left her family out of the show.  I was thrilled last year when they moved the setting to New York for that very reason. 

I do remember an episode from last year when Mary Jane was telling someone they had no chance because he was dating white women and then he came in with someone with natural hair and I thought he introduced her as his girlfriend, but maybe not. 

I could never get into her love interest from last year as he did not seem like a good match for her personality, but I don't see her with the Justin character either.   At this point I am watching for hair and makeup.   They are even messing with the Kara/Mary Jane friendship. 

Michael Ealy is someone that I feel that I should be attracted to but I am not.  I'm glad that it appears that Lee is gone and I hope they don't feel the need to revisit that relationship....or David for that matter. 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

I was screaming at the TV, "girl, you better not! I mean I would, but I'm not messy like you!" I definitely wouldn't be able to pass up Michael Early, but Justin is such an asshole I'd probably do it once (maybe twice....okay, a Max of 5), and be done because he's clearly not interested in any relationship.  I was so annoyed with that soft voice and face caressing bullshit he was doing at the bar while he was telling her he isn't interested in her or blowing up his relationship.  Then why are your hands all over her and your hot ass breath all on her face and neck.  Seriously, what the hell was that?  

• Love 4

Ronda had on some woman who got "buzz" for stuff posted about her on thew internet.  Justin was able to prove that the woman posted it herself, causing her own buzz.  Ronda was fired for not vetting the source, and she claimed it was Kara' duty to vet the source, so Kara was fired as well.

10 hours ago, Ms Blue Jay said:

If you guys can imagine resisting Michael Ealy, you're better people than I..

I can resist Michael Ealy without batting an eye.  Resisting Gabrielle Union?  Not happening!!!!

• Love 2

Maybe one reason MJ's world seems so small to me is because all she has is work. And man drama. She's very isolated this season.

How long has she been in New York? I know it's hard to make friends in a new place, especially with her work schedule, but doesn't she have any friends? The women she went to the club with were more colleagues than true girlfriends, but what happened to them? And what about that bougie social club her family is part of? There must be a chapter in New York. Or the alumni society from her college?

7 hours ago, catrice2 said:

I am not sure I am going to watch the episode from what I have read, ha ha.  In what season are they FINALLY going to let Mary Jane (and Niecy) grow up?  I am fine with showing a "flawed" character, but they want us to believe she is smart yet keep having her repeat the same dumb things. 

Yessss! Well said. Her complexity as a character has turned into frustrating stupidity. And is that how we're supposed to feel? That MJ is stupid?

I thought we were supposed to see a successful career woman who could hold her own at work while balancing an out of control personal life, and sometimes they would intersect.  Instead we get just a mess...she makes poor decisions in any setting, lashes out at people, and never seems to learn from her actions.  Now if they are leading towards exploring counseling, bi polar or mental health issues then I get it, but to just show her self destructing season after season is getting old, and implying that finding the "right" man is the answer to all her issues instead of working on herself. 

No.....she doesn't have any friends. It was clear even when they had those scenes that many of them were "work" friends who had the same type of job an understood some of her  work pressures, or "women of a certain age without a serious relationship" issues,  but were not friends that knew her on a deeper level and how truly conflicted she is...other than the one that killed herself and Kara...and now she is not being truthful in that relationship. I can understand being guarded ( and lord knows I am not one for having a large group of "real" friends),   but they do need to show her with a group of surface friends going out to do regular things, or at least imply that she has that type of balance in her life.  

I don't think they have even shown her really grieving her, or what she learned from how she handled their friendship ending.  All we get is her moving her obsession from one man to another and trying to mold herself into whatever that man wants and not focusing on what she needs to change at work to advance, or figuring out a way to start her own production company or something so she can do the stories that she wants.  At this point I'd rather see her start to write a successful blog or something that keeps her from in front of the cameras. 

I am also sick of her "savior" of the family role.  At least they moved away from some of that last year.   The last thing I want is more of the parents on the screen. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I've accepted her personal life is a mess. But the MJ of season 1 at least had her career on point. Now she sucks at life on every level. This is the 3rd or 4th time she's been told she's not relatable to her viewing audience. Then how is she still in the anchor's chair? Even Kara said she was only relatable when MJ is being produced by her. Le sigh.

On a shallow note,GU was looking a little thick this episode, but I do like the shorter wig. 

Edited by sarkygal
  • Love 1
On 7/22/2017 at 0:53 PM, catrice2 said:

I thought we were supposed to see a successful career woman who could hold her own at work while balancing an out of control personal life, and sometimes they would intersect.  Instead we get just a mess...she makes poor decisions in any setting, lashes out at people, and never seems to learn from her actions.  Now if they are leading towards exploring counseling, bi polar or mental health issues then I get it, but to just show her self destructing season after season is getting old, and implying that finding the "right" man is the answer to all her issues instead of working on herself. 

THIS!!! sums up my frustration with the show. Mary Jane doesn't appear to be learning anything. She keeps making the same mistakes and self-destructing over and over again. Different setting same MJ - how about 'Feeling Bored', 'Feeling Frustrated', or 'Feeling Over This Show'?

• Love 2

I still think that it was a mistake for the writers to have MJ's friend commit suicide, I thought they should have had her attempt suicide and MJ or someone else finds her.  Then, if the friend had gotten mental health counseling it would have been a great opportunity MJ to get hit with a ton of bricks and realize that she also has some serious issues--maybe not the same as her friend's--but that she needs to talk to a therapist.  I'm tired of seeing her slowly self-destruct.

• Love 4