Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E01: Recoil

Jordan (Jill Flint) and Drew (Brendan Fehr) perform a daring rescue by jumping from a chopper. Landing at the nearest VA hospital, Jordan sparks a plan to appease Julian (James McDaniel) and reunite her night shift team. Back at the hospital, Paul (Robert Bailey Jr.) deals with the repercussions of standing up to his father while Scott (Scott Wolf) dives headlong into his professional life. Kenny (JR Lemon) butts heads with Cain (recurring guest star Mark Consuelos), a traveling nurse with a mysterious past. Shannon (Tanaya Beatty) indoctrinates Cain as they work in San Antonio Memorial's understaffed and overworked ER. Meanwhile, TC (Eoin Macken) is held captive in Syria. In order to find Syd (recurring guest star Jennifer Beals), TC must treat his captor instead of returning to the safety of an air base with a civilian volunteer, Amira (Rana Roy).

I wonder if they'll bother putting it on Hulu this year.  They didn't last summer.

51 minutes ago, Lady Calypso said:

Jordan (Jill Flint) and Drew (Brendan Fehr) perform a daring rescue by jumping from a chopper

FFS.

Oddly though, after Code Black kept turning up the ridiculous-meter all last season and Chicago Med descended into anarchy, I'm kind of looking forward to a show that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a dumb action show with doctors.

• Love 1
(edited)
3 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Cain (recurring guest star Mark Consuelos), a traveling nurse with a mysterious past.

Speaking of recoiling: Ick. I hate everything about this plot already.

2 hours ago, starri said:

... a show that doesn't pretend to be anything other than a dumb action show with doctors.

You forgot the " ... who have sexy hair."

Edited by Sandman
4 minutes ago, starri said:

Well, when their main competition is Will Halstead...

True -- but Will Halstead is unlike the characters on The Night Shift, at least to the extent that I'm not convinced that hair care is the primary driver of his daily existence.

Well, I guess nobody watched this last night, even me, mostly. During the first commercial break, I flipped channels and stayed on a PBS show I had already seen. I flipped back to NS when the PBS ended earlier than NS (because no commercials). I can't hate the Syria stuff any more than I do. I didn't care about TC's "problems" there. And couldn't help but think Jennifer Beales will get killed if Taken got renewed, all while wishing TC would get knocked off instead. I at least like Jennifer. Meanwhile, how stupid was Drew rescuing those roller coaster people in the lift? For pete's sake, put the lift basket UNDER the coaster car, you dopes. And the woman who was suppose to fall/jump but clings to the side of the lift basket instead ... Drew keeps yelling "JUMP! JUMP! We can't hold you!" all while the lift holds her and just freaking stays in place instead of lowering itself to the ground. No one did their homework on lifts since that this one appeared to be a Genie articulating boom lift with a capacity of 500 lbs. And since nothing was happening with the woman clinging to the side, they could easily have lowered themselves to the ground. But ... continued next week! Thanks show, for freeing up my Thursday nights.

Ha! I watched, and the most intriguing thing I got out of it is I think they're killing off Topher... Seriously, they spend the entire episode lobbying to get him back, finally achieve said goal, yet we (the audience) know Ken Leung has a new show and there was a teary Jordan announcement in the promo for next week that I'm sure we're supposed to think is about Drew but will turn out to be Topher. Because it was veterans' night at the amusement park. That's going to piss me off that he couldn't just get an awesome job elsewhere and live happily ever after with his family.

Though at least that should mean Syd makes it? They wouldn't kill off two characters, right? Because TC is going to go into enough of a tailspin if Topher dies...

Or maybe it's a complete misdirect and they just kill TC!

As far as this actual episode went, I didn't really care about any of the storylines. And while I'm no expert on hijab etiquette, my biggest question of the episode was Amira's random removal of hers as soon as she met TC, and why you would want to have your hair down and flying all over the place while doing emergency rescues.

At least we got mention of Rick. For a minute there I thought he might be an amusement park casualty, so I'm glad they didn't go there. And it looks like Killjoys is done filming and The Night Shift isn't, so that should mean some Rick scenes in the latter part of the season.

Perhaps the show has just worn me down, or perhaps it's just that Natalie on Chicago Med makes every character more likable just by default, but I think I...like...Jordan now?

Syd's face pops up in the opening credits, so even if Jennifer Beals isn't there full time, I'm going to hope that means we get to see her again.  Also, did we find out why she volunteered to go to Syria after having to move to DC to be near her daughter last season?  Because those things are kind of opposites.

I don't dislike Mark Conseulos, exactly, but I really do not think I like Cain.

So, is Mollie like, Drew and Rick's au pair now?  Because if they needed to establish that Rick and Brianna were okay, couldn't one of THEM be the one to call him?

These is a bit...bitchy, but I couldn't stop thinking about them.  Is Jill Flint pregnant?  Because her face seemed a little fuller, and they seemed to have her wearing a lot of jackets in long shots.  Also, did Shannon go on a crash diet?  Because her face looked thinner than I remembered.

This time next week, I'll be in an emergency room as an actual doctor.  I've been practicing my helicopter jumping, and I think we're taking a field trip to Coney Island to learn about roller coaster bailouts.

• Love 3

Eh.  I don't know.  I got halfway through this, started channel surfing, and forgot to come back to it.  Shows how much I was (dis)interested, I guess.

I love James McDaniel from the NYPD Blue series and Detroit 187 (I'm still pissed that show was canceled), but I don't like angry, snarling James McDaniel.  

I still can't stand the surly young female intern, Shannon, and I've already expressed my hatred for the Syria stuff.

So, I might do a drive-by now and then, but this show is definitely off my must-see list, especially with Topher gone.

I wanted to applaud when they had Scott tell Paul that he was facing losing a year off his residency or even needing to start over if he'd quit.

Because they finally got something right!

• Love 1

Oh, Dargo, I did not know that about Ken Leung. I was going to add to the end of my post above that I'll be back just for Topher, then deleted that line. So THANKS A LOT (not) for that news. I was hoping the teary announcement was going to be TC was killed in Syria. Well, a person can wish, can't they?

Whelp, summer has officially arrived, because The Night Shift is back, baby!

Basically, the hospital is still reeling from Julian's takeover and Topher getting the boot, and everyone is at each other's throats like normal.  I'm kind of not sure what to think, honestly, because I love(d) Topher and think Julian's a major dick, but at the same time, I kind of agree with him that Topher wasn't the best leader due to how he let T.C. and Jordan kind of walk all over him.  Still, they're making it pretty obvious that Julian cares more about the bottom dollar then saving people, so he's likely being set-up as an antagonist for the majority of the season.

Mark Consuelos is going to be a pretty busy guy since he's not just in this, but is suppose to be play Hiram Lodge on Riverdale.  But so far, his character is coming off way too nice and competent, so I have to think he will have major skeletons in his closet. 

Rick is "at work" a.k.a. he's busy being an awesome bounty hunter in space!

I actually didn't mind Shannon this go around.  Probably because now she's dealing with someone questioning her authority and giving her a hard time.  Not so fun when you're on the other end, huh?

Scott's still the only adult here, which is really saying something.

Already bored with T.C. and his scenes in Syria.  Just go ahead and have him find Sydney, please.

Why was Raphael Sbarge playing that random VA doctor for two scenes?

It would be evil, but I'd kind of love Drew if he just took that Sofia girl's hands and snarls "Long live the king!" and drops her off the lift, Scar from The Lion King-style.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Oh, Dargo, I did not know that about Ken Leung. I was going to add to the end of my post above that I'll be back just for Topher, then deleted that line. So THANKS A LOT (not) for that news.

Sorry! It's been in the media thread without spoiler tags which is why I didn't think to add them here. And it's total speculation on my part that they'll kill him off (hoping I'm wrong).

• Love 1

No problem about no spoiler tags, dargo. I'm not the least bit invested in this show any more so haven't read any other threads here and was only just (sorta) kidding about being upset about the Topher kill-off thing. Except he was my fav character since I can't stand TC who is suppose to be the lead I guess. I did like Drew, but even he's become tiresome. And it's just the first episode back. Yikes!

You know what might be fun?  A mirror-universe episode where the show is called Day Shift, and absolutely no one jumps out of a helicopter.  And TC is a stickler for the rules.

Hey, it's not like Jordan falling through a hole in the space-time continuum would be any less ridiculous than any given five minutes.

• Love 8
(edited)
On 2017-06-23 at 4:12 PM, Ohwell said:

I love James McDaniel from the NYPD Blue series and Detroit 187 (I'm still pissed that show was canceled), but I don't like angry, snarling James McDaniel.  

Yeah, I have no interest in this spoiled, surly mess of a man. I couldn't even get through this episode, and if the only point of the Julian character is to punish Paul, I'm out. (I wouldn't mind the Jordan-falls-through-a-wormhole story set in the Dayshift Universe, though. That sounds neat!)

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1

Isn't Mark Consuelos married to Kelly Ripa? Poor guy. 

I figure Raphael Sbarge will be back if the hospital gets a contract with the VA. 

I guess I'm not as hard on this show as others are. To me, it is the TV version of a "popcorn movie."

On 6/23/2017 at 9:50 AM, saber5055 said:

I can't hate the Syria stuff any more than I do. I didn't care about TC's "problems" there. And couldn't help but think Jennifer Beales will get killed if Taken got renewed, all while wishing TC would get knocked off instead. I at least like Jennifer. Meanwhile, how stupid was Drew rescuing those roller coaster people in the lift? For pete's sake, put the lift basket UNDER the coaster car, you dopes. And the woman who was suppose to fall/jump but clings to the side of the lift basket instead ... Drew keeps yelling "JUMP! JUMP! We can't hold you!" all while the lift holds her and just freaking stays in place instead of lowering itself to the ground. No one did their homework on lifts since that this one appeared to be a Genie articulating boom lift with a capacity of 500 lbs. And since nothing was happening with the woman clinging to the side, they could easily have lowered themselves to the ground. But ... continued next week. 

YES!! To all of this!! I did think it was funny that one of the rescuers at the amusement park was yelling up at the girls that "help was coming and to hang in there!" Really writers?! 

Jordan is still super annoying. I didn't understand why she was so adamant about saving the terminal veteran guy. I'm pretty sure that last season he volunteered to go back in the field because he knew he didn't have long to live, etc. So now, they find him "barely alive" and are shuttling him all over the city to get him help and wasting the hospital's resources and time, etc so he can live another nine months? And now that kid's mom is going to die because Jordan thinks her terminal friend is more important. Plus it's not like after Dr. Paul's Dad does the surgery, veteran guy is going to be 100% the next day and go home and enjoy the next nine months like it's a vacation. By the time this guy heals from the explosion injuries (if he even does), he'll be almost dead from the cancer, if it hasn't killed him already. 

I hope next week they mention that Topher accepted a much better job at a different hospital and will live happily ever after. 

• Love 2