Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E15: 2017 United Kingdom general election and Brexit negotiations

• Start Topic

Ahead of the election, Lord Buckethead distributed 38,300 fliers with the caption: "Strong, not entirely stable, leadership. Vote Lord Buckethead for the most powerful protest vote in the galaxy."

He also composed a ditty to promote his fliers: "Spread them far, spread them wide. Choose the Lord with the bucket, not the Tory who lied."

As Jeremy Vine points out here, Lord Buckethead is no political newcomer: he (or someone looking very much like him) ran against Margaret Thatcher in 1987, and John Major in 1992:

Lord Buckethead makes US TV debut with John Oliver

Awesome show. That clip of Lord Buckethead saying it was going to be a shitshow was great, but then to see him actually there with John Oliver was the best. 

All the reasons Brexit is such a terrible idea are so clear now, and it's hard (for me) to remember if these came out during the time leading up to the vote. I know that Russia was involved in fake news and bots, etc., to sway voters, and that the Brexit campaign emphasized (IIRC) nationalism, but were the anti voices heard that much? I know I sound ignorant, but I just can't remember how the anti voices were ignored.

"Thatcher in the Rye" was excellent.

As for the rest of the show, I loved the graphic of Jane Goodall sitting on Trump's desk trying to figure him out. I also loved when John said Paul Ryan is evidence that you can live a healthy life without a spine.

One joke in the show I didn't get was "Yas/Yes, Queen." What does that mean or refer to?

• Love 6

I had high hopes that John would mention Lord Buckethead, but his actual appearance made me too happy for words. I was live-streaming the election results and couldn't believe he (and Elmo) had really run in the election.

2 hours ago, peeayebee said:

One joke in the show I didn't get was "Yas/Yes, Queen." What does that mean or refer to?

According to Know Your Meme, it has something to do with Lady Gaga.

• Love 1

I'll take Ollie's word that that was indeed Lord Buckethead in the middle of his stage. But it would have been even better if he gave him the opportunity to speak.

I knew that they would give Adam West an opening credit tribute. KAPOWUS!

I can't believe that flew Lord B all the way over here and then didn't do a little interview! I can only imagine it would have been hilarious.

Also, he looks more like a Knight who says Ni had sex with Darth Vader! 

• Love 9

I could have sworn that there was also a guy dressed as bacon but I didn't see him in the group photo.

I also wonder if people who voted in the Brexit referendum had any idea of all the things John brought up before they actually voted.

Watch out for Pip, that rogue border-crosser.  And I giggled like a loon at the twerking pig.

• Love 1

I'm fairly certain the vast majority of Brexit voters had no clue of the complexity of Brexit or how it really will directly affect them.  Mostly all they thought about was immigration, just like here.

• Love 2

As it's been noted, a lot of 'leave' votes were protest votes to show their anger against the establishment (The PM at the time and May were also against Brexit) not necessarily for the issue itself. Many of them were convinced Remain would win, so theirs wouldn't count anyway...
Poll showed not a small portion of former UKIP supporters or those who voted to leave in the EU referendum voted for Labour party this time around and Labour won in several pro-Brexit constituencies despite Conservative's targeted campaigns. To some extent, it was again meant to be protest votes.

Regarding the GE, during the campaign Tory's 'Strong and Stable' slogan was repeated endlessly, especially by May, and duly ridiculed. Then this happened a couple of days prior to the election day. ? Conservative party billboard van overturns in the wind overturns on M6

2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I could have sworn that there was also a guy dressed as bacon but I didn't see him in the group photo.

I also wonder if people who voted in the Brexit referendum had any idea of all the things John brought up before they actually voted.

Watch out for Pip, that rogue border-crosser.  And I giggled like a loon at the twerking pig.

Don't know about bacon but there was Mr. Fish finger in the Lib-Dem party leader's constituency. Reportedly he decided to run against Tim Farron because a Twitter poll said they'd rather trust Mr. Fish finger than Farron. 

On 6/12/2017 at 7:59 PM, layniemac said:

Sadly, I think Lord Buckethead would make a better President!

What does his birth certificate say? Milky Way? Has he ever paid taxes?

• Love 2