Type keyword(s) to search

Season 8: Speculation and Spoilers Discussion

Message added by Meredith Quill

Advisory: This topic is for S8 Spoilers & Spec. If your post predominantly concerns book comparisons or a character's past season actions it will be removed. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, bubble sparkly said:

Haha maybe Robin makes a life size statue of Sansa in an attempt to woo her?

I don’t think so. The statue spoiler is huge, since it was left out of four write ups of Sophie’s comments, including an otherwise exhaustive summary by Vulture and an EW article regarding which prop Sophie took home from the set (which was the context in which Sophie made the comment about the statue). In fact, were it not for that Sophie fan, no one would know that statement was made. Somebody asked or told the media not to put that little tidbit in. It is big.

Sophie also seems to have revealed that she was in Croatia and filmed a “fake scene” there (again, sure, Jan). Kind of dumb, since no one knew for sure Sophie was in Croatia until she apparently admitted it today, but there you have it.

Edited by Eyes High

Sophie says the show spent lots of money paying them to sit around doing nothing to confuse the paparazzi. Maybe it's just my liking for Sansa talking, but it seems to me it would be a lot cheaper for HBO to just ask Sophie to drop a fake spoiler. That seems to me more likely than to imagine she forgot that only dead characters have statues made of them when she had IIRC two different scenes set in the tombs looking at and talking about the statues of the deceased this past season. 

Edited by screamin
2 minutes ago, screamin said:

Sophie says the show spent lots of money paying them to sit around doing nothing to confuse the paparazzi. Maybe it's just my liking for Sansa talking, but it seems to me it would be a lot cheaper for HBO to just ask Sophie to drop a fake spoiler. That seems to me more likely than to imagine she forgot that only dead characters have statues made of them when she had IIRC two different scenes set in the tombs looking at and talking about the statues of the deceased this past season. 

If it is a fake spoiler, HBO would be perfectly happy with it being reported. Not much good throwing a fake spoiler out there if no one’s allowed to write about it, is it? EW dances to HBO’s tune. If they didn’t report that comment, there is a reason.

Sansa fans have been vigorously arguing on /Freefolk that the statue spoiler means that Sansa is getting a statue in honour of her reign as queen of Westeros or the North, though.

1 minute ago, Eyes High said:

Sansa fans have been vigorously arguing on /Freefolk that the statue spoiler means that Sansa is getting a statue in honour of her reign as queen of Westeros or the North, though.

IDK, from the one's I read they feel she died, when is the main question, young or old.

5 hours ago, Eyes High said:

That doesn't seem likely to me because, as has been discussed above, I can't imagine we are going to get a time jump of say 50 years where we see Sansa die of old age and get a statue, or like Kit and Emilia in geriatric makeup hobbling around with canes as J/D sit with their grandkids etc.

And I would have thought there would be heaps of matters in the months after the war ends much more pressing than building statues in people's honour, such as rebuilding Winterfell and presumably Kings Landing etc.  Plus, Sansa is unlikely to actually be fighting in the battle so I can't see why anyone would be calling for a statue of her.  Unless she is going to claim that she defeated the Night King by writing another letter, and demand that people get down on their knees and thank her with a statue lol.

A crypt statue seems to make the most sense based on the extremely limited information we have, but I must admit I never really got a "Sansa dies" vibe from any of Sophie's other interviews.  After the Sansa/Arya convo from last season where they discuss Ned's statue not looking anything like him, perhaps Sansa thinks it's a sensible investment to get a statue made now so she can have control over how she is rendered lol?

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Sophie also seems to have revealed that she was in Croatia and filmed a “fake scene” there (again, sure, Jan). Kind of dumb, since no one knew for sure Sophie was in Croatia until she apparently admitted it today, but there you have it.

I think the 'we' in her statement meant the show as a whole and not Sophie in particular, since she was nowhere around parading in costume when the paparazzi was nearby. She was probably talking about this:

image.png.80f05587192e11795a12ea05f459af

Jon and Cersei perfectly positioned in front of that window so that everyone could see and those folks there with their cameras who were laughing. 

As for the statue, there were some folks arguing that it was from promotional material - like the hall of faces for season 6.

Otherwise, if that fan heard it right and there is a statue of Sansa at the end of GOT, then it is a crypt statue.  I don't think there is any other reason for people to erect statues - and that too of Sansa -  in war torn Westeros.

But if Sansa dies then it clearly contradicts Friki's leaks who says that Sansa is healthy and well at Tyrion's trial which happens towards the very end at the dragonpit in a scene which features Sansa, Arya, Bran, Sam, Brienne, Davos and .....Yara. No one else. Weird group of people there.

There's also the fact that Bran being there for Spain filming means that whatever they filmed there could also be flashbacks or future events. 

With respect to Sansa, as per the books, I am pretty sure her ending is not in WF. And I think Sophie is sort of hinting at that in her interviews with her - 'Sansa finally knows what she wants now' talk. Considering that she has been wanting to rule WF for two seasons now, if that has changed, we may see her on a different trajectory. 

• Love 3

I agree with @anamika that if a fake scene was filmed it was the one with the photo of Cersei and Jon with the crew openly laughing. I don't think it was a fake scene as much as they set up the crew with Cersei and Jon in a location where they could be easily seen.

I can't come up with a reason for the statue, but I don't think that Sansa or any of the Starks die. As far as I am concerned, Sophie's  "the pack survives" tattoo gives away the Starks' sending.

Edited by SimoneS
(edited)
3 hours ago, anamika said:

I think the 'we' in her statement meant the show as a whole and not Sophie in particular, since she was nowhere around parading in costume when the paparazzi was nearby. She was probably talking about this:

image.png.80f05587192e11795a12ea05f459af

Jon and Cersei perfectly positioned in front of that window so that everyone could see and those folks there with their cameras who were laughing. 

As for the statue, there were some folks arguing that it was from promotional material - like the hall of faces for season 6.

Otherwise, if that fan heard it right and there is a statue of Sansa at the end of GOT, then it is a crypt statue.  I don't think there is any other reason for people to erect statues - and that too of Sansa -  in war torn Westeros.

But if Sansa dies then it clearly contradicts Friki's leaks who says that Sansa is healthy and well at Tyrion's trial which happens towards the very end at the dragonpit in a scene which features Sansa, Arya, Bran, Sam, Brienne, Davos and .....Yara. No one else. Weird group of people there.

There's also the fact that Bran being there for Spain filming means that whatever they filmed there could also be flashbacks or future events. 

With respect to Sansa, as per the books, I am pretty sure her ending is not in WF. And I think Sophie is sort of hinting at that in her interviews with her - 'Sansa finally knows what she wants now' talk. Considering that she has been wanting to rule WF for two seasons now, if that has changed, we may see her on a different trajectory. 

Kit lied during S7 promo interviews about filming fake scenes.

1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I can't come up with a reason for the statue, but

Sure you can. There’s only one plausible reason why there would be a statue of Sansa at the end of GOT, and I believe this is why all mention of the statue is missing from al the official reporting on the event.

Edited by Eyes High
2 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Sure you can. There’s only one plausible reason why there would be a statue of Sansa at the end of GOT, and I believe this is why all mention of the statue is missing from al the official reporting on the event.

I have no clue what you are talking about.

Edited by SimoneS
4 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

Kit lied during S7 promo interviews about filming fake scenes.

Didn't they film some fake scenes? I remember photos of just Jon and Dany on the beach filming with a couple of dragon heads. And if I recall right, there was no scene last season of just Jon and Dany on that beach.

5 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

and I believe this is why all mention of the statue is missing from al the official reporting on the event.

Not one media article mentioning this is suspicious indeed. Especially since they are the ones who usually blare out the smallest details in their clickbait headlines. Either they don't think it is important enough or it's too important that they can't mention it.

• Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, SimoneS said:

I have no clue what you are talking about.

The only characters who have statues in GOT are dead characters (other than Joffrey who commissioned a statue in his own honour). If Sansa has a statue at the end of GOT, which is what Sophie said, the likeliest explanation is that she’s dead, which, barring a big flashforward 80 years in the future where an aged Jon visits the crypts, is a huge spoiler. It’s easy to come up with a reason for the statue: that’s the reason.

...There is the possibility that the Sophie fan on Twitter is lying about the statue thing, but she reported everything else that later found its way into media writeups faithfully.

1 hour ago, anamika said:

Didn't they film some fake scenes? I remember photos of just Jon and Dany on the beach filming with a couple of dragon heads. And if I recall right, there was no scene last season of just Jon and Dany on that beach.

Not one media article mentioning this is suspicious indeed. Especially since they are the ones who usually blare out the smallest details in their clickbait headlines. Either they don't think it is important enough or it's too important that they can't mention it.

I thought Kit said they filmed six hours of fake footage for S7. 

The media—especially EW.com where they breathlessly report everything the actors say about upcoming seasons—not mentioning the statue is super suspicious. They’re always asking actors about the ending of the show, and when one of them provides a specific detail about the ending (one that that same actor unconvincingly claims has no significance to the plot) they ignore it? Something's up.

ETA: Found another writeup. Mentions the corset, doesn't mention the statue.

Edited by Eyes High

I'm still not sure.  My instinct was Sansa dies, which may be the case but, the idea of it being a gift from Robyn Arryn makes sense as well.  Especially if the theory is true, that a Robyn/Sansa pairing is wooed.  IF Sansa dies, I can't see any character using resources and time, to build a statue to her.  There is still WAY to much going on, since the fight with the dead is supposed to carry through much of the season.   If she dies in the fall of Winterfell, I don't see a statue being in the crypt because Winterfell is destroyed.

Dany/Jon won't get control of Kings Landing until the last two episodes, if my understanding of spoilers is correct.  Are they going to get there and before a pending fight with the undead, have a statue to Sansa commissioned and set up somewhere in the Red Keep?!?!?!  I just find it unlikely.

In terms of this supposed media black out, could be.  I do think sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.  Just in terms of the storyboard gift, SyFy said it was a storyboard of everyone's favorite scene of Sansa, but EW said it was a storyboard of D&D's favorite scene.  As usual, all things Sansa cause a tizzy but are also ambiguous as all hell.

I won't be surprised if Sansa dies but I won't be surprised if Sansa lives either.   Same old, same old.

• Love 4

Well, I highly doubt that show will end with WF burned to the ground. It's the location of the series, where we first meet our main guys. I think we will see Bran/Arya start rebuilding the place at the end and it's not farfetched that they would have a scene in the crypts where they have statues for all the fallen Starks.

As per the fan who was tweeting, Sophie also stated that 'Sansa has a lot of daddy issues'. I have not heard that before.  Wonder what the context of this statement was...

Edited by anamika
14 hours ago, Eyes High said:

If it is a fake spoiler, HBO would be perfectly happy with it being reported. Not much good throwing a fake spoiler out there if no one’s allowed to write about it, is it? EW dances to HBO’s tune. If they didn’t report that comment, there is a reason.

Wow, you really hate the idea of Sansa ending up with Winterfell, huh?

• Love 2
14 hours ago, Eyes High said:

I don’t think so. The statue spoiler is huge, since it was left out of four write ups of Sophie’s comments, including an otherwise exhaustive summary by Vulture and an EW article regarding which prop Sophie took home from the set (which was the context in which Sophie made the comment about the statue). In fact, were it not for that Sophie fan, no one would know that statement was made. Somebody asked or told the media not to put that little tidbit in. It is big.

So we are supposed to assume that HBO has such a stranglehold over the entire entertainment news media that they can demand that ALL of them suppress a bit of hot news that would earn them many profitable clicks and they ALL submissively obeyed? To me, if the source of the tip is one twitter report, it's more that likely that they're waiting for a bit of corroboration like the video of the Comiccon event with what Sophie said.

• Love 2
44 minutes ago, anamika said:

Well, I highly doubt that show will end with WF burned to the ground. It's the location of the series, where we first meet our main guys. I think we will see Bran/Arya start rebuilding the place at the end and it's not farfetched that they would have a scene in the crypts where they have statues for all the fallen Starks.

As per the fan who was tweeting, Sophie also stated that 'Sansa has a lot of daddy issues'. I have not heard that before.  Wonder what the context of this statement was...

The fan said that the statue of Sansa is from the end of GOT, so Jon, Bran or whoever will have ample time to commission a statue while rebuilding Winterfell.

22 minutes ago, screamin said:

So we are supposed to assume that HBO has such a stranglehold over the entire entertainment news media that they can demand that ALL of them suppress a bit of hot news that would earn them many profitable clicks and they ALL submissively obeyed? To me, if the source of the tip is one twitter report, it's more that likely that they're waiting for a bit of corroboration like the video of the Comiccon event with what Sophie said.

No, the reporters are not going off the Twitter fan’s report. They were there independently and reported Sophie’s other comments about S8 but left the bit about the statue out. They wouldn’t need corroboration.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

The fan said that the statue of Sansa is from the end of GOT, so Jon, Bran or whoever will have ample time to commission a statue while rebuilding Winterfell. 

But wouldn't it take many years time to rebuild Winterfell and the crypt? I assume they can't do it like in Hogwarts in five minutes with a little bit of magic.

So seeing a rebuild Winterfell actually would mean, that we are getting some sort of epilogue. And in that case I don't see why that epilogue shouldn't be 60 years in the future. Maybe Bran dies and is laid to rest in the crypt besides all his family members. Something like this.

And hello you all. I'm new here and after months of just reading this thread, I registered. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, Eyes High said:

The only characters who have statues in GOT are dead characters (other than Joffrey who commissioned a statue in his own honour). If Sansa has a statue at the end of GOT, which is what Sophie said, the likeliest explanation is that she’s dead, which, barring a big flashforward 80 years in the future where an aged Jon visits the crypts, is a huge spoiler. It’s easy to come up with a reason for the statue: that’s the reason.

As I said, "I don't think that Sansa or any of the Starks die" so I don't have an explanation for the statue. However, I think as @BadAssRobinArryn suggested an epilogue several years in the future is a possible explanation.

Edited by SimoneS

It seems indeed quite likely there will be an epilogue of some sort, even if not everything may be tied neatly in a bow (which is what Liam Cunningham seemed to say; he did not say "no epilogue whatsoever"). All the (f)leakers who have said or implicated there won't be an epilogue have less credentials than Frikidoctor, including Boatsexbaby who was very slow to point out that her leaks contradict his'. 

Since statements from the actors also have to be taken with a grain of salt, firm evidence is still only rooted in some clear filming spoilers. 

Regarding a final twist at the end - remember that D&D said that when GRRM told them his game plan, they were shocked by three things? One was Stannis burning Shireen (most book readers had been expecting this to some extent, allthough it was still shocking to see it happen), the second was Hodor and Bran ordering him to "hold the door" (AFAIK this one was not predicted, if so it wasn't widespread as a theory at least) and there would be a third twist, all the way at the end.

We don't know what that final twist is, but it should come during S8, probably also right at the end.

Given that in the books Tyrion is a prominent POV, I don't think GRRM could play a betrayal by Tyrion as a last-minute surprise. We would be in his head and if he had secret deals with Cersei or (f)Aegon we would presumably know about that. That makes it unlikely a betrayal by Tyrion would be that final twist (though that does not mean it could not happen in the books - just not as a last-minute shock for the reader). So, what do we think this final twist may be?

Something to do with the Others and their origins, or the way the war is ended, is a possibility, but no doubt there are others we could think of.

OTOH, Dany does have her three betrayals in the books. The show left this prophecy out so may have modified it (one of them may be tied to (f)Aegon), but I guess that final betrayal (for love?) will come into play. Friki's version of Tyrion's supposed betrayal doesn't sound like it has "love" (for Jaime or for Dany herself) as a motivation, especially not if it would be revenge on KL.

Regarding Sansa, she was supposed to slay a giant in the books. Was this Sweetrobyn's doll (the most literal interpretation), will it be (in the books)/was it (in the show) Littlefinger (through his link with Braavos and the titan) or are there other possibilities?

42 minutes ago, Wouter said:

Regarding Sansa, she was supposed to slay a giant in the books. Was this Sweetrobyn's doll (the most literal interpretation), will it be (in the books)/was it (in the show) Littlefinger (through his link with Braavos and the titan) or are there other possibilities?

I think the consensus is/was Littlefinger. I find it plausible because the mockingbird/Titan of Braavos sigil is imo a similar trick as Wylla/Lyanna; the truth isn't difficult to infer, kind of hiding in plain sight behind the cover ("Lyanna can't be Jon's mother, it's to easy").  It's partly why I thought that Sansa was the most vulnerable Stark if there was to be one falling with WF; the giant was slayed and she embraced her family vs her ambition. 

The first two WTF weren't major twists pertaining directly to the central characters. Shireen's death was a catalyst of Stannis' demise on the show (book-wise he might actually be defeated already) and Hodor allowed to discover the scope of Bran's powers. So it's possible that the third WTF is a very emotional or shocking moment but not about the main characters' personal fate or trajectory. It could be Melisandre's ability to turn the dead against the NK, for example.

• Love 1

Personally I think the third WTF moment has to do with the Others. That would also line up with Boatsexbabys spoilers that they have motivations and everything to do with them comes to make sense . 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, GraceK said:

Personally I think the third WTF moment has to do with the Others. That would also line up with Boatsexbabys spoilers that they have motivations and everything to do with them comes to make sense . 

Well in book Gilly's baby was switched out for Mance's child; but in show we just have little Sam.

Maybe it's Little Sam ( Little Mance ) the Others want. Gilly did state in show shouting to Samwell " They've come for the baby ! "

5 hours ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

But wouldn't it take many years time to rebuild Winterfell and the crypt? I assume they can't do it like in Hogwarts in five minutes with a little bit of magic.

So seeing a rebuild Winterfell actually would mean, that we are getting some sort of epilogue. And in that case I don't see why that epilogue shouldn't be 60 years in the future. Maybe Bran dies and is laid to rest in the crypt besides all his family members. Something like this.

If this is indeed a crypt statue, then it is not impossible for one to be seen at the end of the show in the crypts. I don't think the WF crypts get damaged even if WF is burned.

We are not saying that we will see a brand spanking new WF on the show. We will see them start to rebuild it and could get a glimpse in the crypts where the statues are. For example, WF was damaged when the Boltons took it. When Sansa gets there in season 5, they are rebuilding the place and you can see men walking around hammering on stuff. 

When did Ned's statue get build considering that Theon took WF before Cat got there with Ned's bones?  We never saw the statue there in season 5 when Sansa was paying a visit. Which implies that the Starks commissioned and had it made after they retook WF from the Boltons. So within a couple of episodes there was a statue in the crypts. Considering the speed with which things are currently moving on the show, people think that it's going to be that long to build a statue?

'Loose ends not tied' does not mean the show will end abruptly after the battle with the AOTD.  I would think we will see the survivors start to rebuild their lives. A great council down south deciding the future of Westeros. Arya and Bran up North picking up the pieces and setting people to work on rebuilding their home. Arya started out the series wanting to build things and Bran has a forebearer named Bran the Builder. And well, Sansa build a WF model out of snow, so maybe she's there too. D&D will probably show Sansa teaching a builder about reinforced concrete and stress-strain relationships!

Will it go well for them? Who is going to continue the Stark line?  What's happening with Dorne, the Reach and Casterly Rock (If Friki's leaks are true)?  Will the survivors make Westeros a better place than their parents did? Will they succeed in ruling the kingdoms without civil war and strife? We may not find out and are left to hope that this generation will do better than the previous one.

As GRRM mentioned in his original outline:

Five central characters will make it through all three volumes, however, growing from children to adults and changing the world and themselves in the process. In a sense, my trilogy is almost a generational saga, telling the life stories of these five characters, three men and two women. The five key players are Tyrion Lannister, Daenerys Targaryen, and three of the children of Winterfell, Arya, Bran, and the bastard Jon Snow.

At the end of the series, it looks like most of the adults are gone and it's the children who make it till the very end - starting a brand new era in Westeros - A Dream of Spring.

5 hours ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

And hello you all. I'm new here and after months of just reading this thread, I registered. 

Welcome! It's nice to have new folks in here adding to the discussion :)

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, GraceK said:

Well boatbaby and Friki are contradicting each other.

One of them is being fooled or not telling the truth.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, Eyes High said:

No, the reporters are not going off the Twitter fan’s report. They were there independently and reported Sophie’s other comments about S8 but left the bit about the statue out. They wouldn’t need corroboration.

The EW one-on-one interview would be a separate event from Turner's open question and answer session with fans, wouldn't it? To me it would seem quite possible that the EW reporter was there for the former but maybe not the latter. And Comiccon sessions with stars are usually taped and become public eventually, don't they? It would seem to me more likely that the news media would probably want to confirm what she actually said on videotape (as we eventually can, too) than to assume that HBO has TOTAL Orwellian control over all possible news media - and that therefore every GOT leak that ever made it to mainstream media was only because Big Brother HBO MEANT  it to leak.

Edited by screamin
  • Love 1

This statue spoiler is kind of aggravating. If Sansa dies, I will look forward to her demise. But if she bites the dust, I'm sure it will be doing something heroic. 

The statue doesn't have to be located in the crypts of Winterfell. I get that she's a Stark and Lyanna having a statue there certainly creates precedent, but there are other female characters in the actual story who have their own statues in gardens, Alyssa Arryn and Missy Blackwood. 

So perhaps Sansa does something heroic in King's Landing and she ends up getting her own statue in the city, like Baelor the Blessed did before Cersei blew him up along with the Great Sept.

(edited)
16 hours ago, WindyNights said:

Well boatbaby and Friki are contradicting each other.

One of them is being fooled or not telling the truth.

I think that much is clear. If it's true that Sansa gets a statue in her honour at the end of GOT because she's dead, that automatically means that Friki is full of shit. since he claimed that she attended Tyrion's postwar trial.

4 hours ago, screamin said:

The EW one-on-one interview would be a separate event from Turner's open question and answer session with fans, wouldn't it? To me it would seem quite possible that the EW reporter was there for the former but maybe not the latter. 

No, the articles were all citing the same comments by Sophie referenced by the Twitter fan, not separate interviews and there were more complete versions of what the Sophie Twitter fan (Naughtysansa) posted in other articles. They were getting their information the same way Naughtysansa was (from Sophie's comments at the Q&A session). This is what Naughtysansa live Tweeted for Sophie's pure GOT (as opposed to GOT/Dark Phoenix talk, like Jean vs. Sansa) comments (in order, verbatim), and here are the articles referencing these comments in further detail in brackets:

1. ‏Chemistry reading with maisie she high fived her and wassuped her jfjdjd [Vulture: “We did a chemistry read together,” said Turner. “It was the final three for Sansa, and I was like, Fuck, I really need to up my game. I went in, and was I like, What’s up?! I gave her a big hug. I was like high-five after every take."]

2. KIT AND MAISIE KEPT THE SWORDS [EW.com: "Turner also revealed her costars Kit Harington (Jon Snow) and Maisie Williams (Arya Stark) both took home swords (appropriately enough)."]

3. Mophie get high in the tub together fhdnnfncnf [Vulture: "We’re kind of like loners on Game of Thrones, just because the past few seasons Maisie and I have sleepovers every night when we’re shooting. Or every night whenever both of us are in town. We just used to sit there and eat and watch stupid videos and smoke weed"] 

4. Sansa will have a statue at the end of GoT ????? (...) She said she didn't think it was a spoiler cause it's not affecting anything/not significant (she was talking really fast right then) but that there is a statue of Sansa that looks like Sophie and she wanted to keep it

5. Sophie says they shoot fake scenes for paps and have aliases ??? [Vulture: "The actors’ names are changed on the script and the call sheets.(...)“Also, we shoot fake scenes. We got into costume in Croatia because we know the paparazzi lurk around there, so we would spend like half a day doing nothing.” ]

6. Sansa comes to her own this season and knows what she wants and who she wants to be around ??? [SyFy, Vulture: "The past few seasons for her and the whole series for her, she’s kind of been somewhat lost as a matter of where she wants to be, who she wants to be, who she wants to surround herself with, and this season she is very very self-assured. She knows what she wants. She knows what she stands for. She knows who she wants to be around, and she faces threats to that this season. But, well, we’ll see how that goes.”]

Naughtysansa missed the bit about Sophie keeping the corset, but it showed up in EW.com's article as well as at least one other media writeup.

So nothing for the statue at the end of GOT, despite multiple media writeups about Sophie's NYCC comments about Sansa and Season 8.

/BoatsexBaby said this on /Freefolk, but it summarizes my reasons for dwelling on this as well:

Coming to the statue thing, there is a chance that Sophie was trolling. Just like there is a chance that she was trolling with the fake scene comment. We wouldn't know for certain till next year. One of the main reasons why I think Sophie accidentally revealed a spoiler with the sansa statue is coz it hasn't appeared in any NYCC coverage articles. Multiple articles from her panel have been posted so far and somehow no one has mentioned it, even though they all mention the corset and Kit/Maisie keeping Longclaw/Needle. I find that very suspicious- almost like it's a deliberate attempt to cover up her accidental reveal. The person who posted the tweet said that Sophie spoke about the statue and then said that it wasn't a spoiler or anything. Even that seems like she realized that she said something spoilery and tried to backtrack. I have not seen the video myself, so I am only going by what the poster said.

James Hibberd/EW which is basically HBO's mouthpiece not mentioning the statue at all in this article is the main reason why I think Sophie accidentally revealed a huge spoiler.

Oops. RIP Sansa. 

The funny thing is that Naughtysansa seems to have jumped on that tidbit because she thought it meant Queen Sansa. Not so much, I think.

I agree with /BoatsexBaby that the fact that HBO's mouthpiece at EW, James Hibberd, wrote an article about what item Sophie took home from set and said nothing about her statue comment is incredibly telling. Assuming the comment was made (and that Naughtysansa isn't lying or didn't mishear) in the first place and that the reason that all these media writeups are not talking about the statue is that HBO is imposing a blackout on it, the fact that Sansa has a statue of her at the end of GOT must be a huge spoiler.

Also, on the "80 years in the future" possibility, /BoatsexBaby said this about what their information is from their source about the epilogue, for what it's worth:

As far as I know, there is no 50 year fast forward epilogue. It's set sometime in the future, but most of the actors apparently still look like they do in the present timeline. So for me, the idea of a statue built when she passes of old age is not happening.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

I found the tumblr of the same person who tweeted about Sophie and Sansa statue. She has a summary of everything there too but one thing I found interesting was this bit

Sean Bean will be in a panel of sorts for BTS stuff during the final scene and she cried when he showed up

I'm a little confused by the phrasing though. Does that mean SB was there to do some bluray bts extras? Or is he BTS during the final scene of the series? 

• Love 1
38 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

I think that much is clear. If it's true that Sansa gets a statue in her honour at the end of GOT because she's dead, that automatically means that Friki is full of shit. since he claimed that she attended Tyrion's postwar trial.

No, the articles were all citing the same comments by Sophie referenced by the Twitter fan, not separate interviews and there were more complete versions of what the Sophie Twitter fan (Naughtysansa) posted in other articles. They were getting their information the same way Naughtysansa was (from Sophie's comments at the Q&A session). This is what Naughtysansa live Tweeted for Sophie's pure GOT (as opposed to GOT/Dark Phoenix talk, like Jean vs. Sansa) comments (in order, verbatim), and here are the articles referencing these comments in further detail in brackets:

Naughtysansa missed the bit about Sophie keeping the corset, but it showed up in EW.com's article as well as at least one other media writeup.

So nothing for the statue at the end of GOT, despite multiple media writeups about Sophie's NYCC comments about Sansa and Season 8.

/BoatsexBaby said this on /Freefolk, but it summarizes my reasons for dwelling on this as well:

Oops. RIP Sansa. 

The funny thing is that Naughtysansa seems to have jumped on that tidbit because she thought it meant Queen Sansa. Not so much, I think.

I agree with /BoatsexBaby that the fact that HBO's mouthpiece at EW, James Hibberd, wrote an article about what item Sophie took home from set and said nothing about her statue comment is incredibly telling. Assuming the comment was made (and that Naughtysansa isn't lying or didn't mishear) in the first place and that the reason that all these media writeups are not talking about the statue is that HBO is imposing a blackout on it, the fact that Sansa has a statue of her at the end of GOT must be a huge spoiler.

Also, on the "80 years in the future" possibility, /BoatsexBaby said this about what their information is from their source about the epilogue, for what it's worth:

Based on the interviews, I think Friki is on the money and boatsexbaby has been mislead. Friki's stuff makes sense to what the books build up towards too.

• Love 2
(edited)
19 minutes ago, WindyNights said:

Based on the interviews, I think Friki is on the money and boatsexbaby has been mislead. Friki's stuff makes sense to what the books build up towards too.

Of the two, only one has provided independently verified information for S8, and it ain’t Friki, so...

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

Of the two, only one has provided independently verified information for S8, and it ain’t Friki, so...

What info/spoiler was it that BSB provided that was independently verified information? It is really hard for me to keep these alleged spoilers straight.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Happy Harpy said:

The first two WTF weren't major twists pertaining directly to the central characters. Shireen's death was a catalyst of Stannis' demise on the show (book-wise he might actually be defeated already) and Hodor allowed to discover the scope of Bran's powers. So it's possible that the third WTF is a very emotional or shocking moment but not about the main characters' personal fate or trajectory. It could be Melisandre's ability to turn the dead against the NK, for example.

The first two WTF moments were very emotionally charged, though. Stannis burning his own daughter! Bran being responsible for Hodor being Hodor. Melisandre having a magical ability doesn't seem comparably, especially not when she already has resurrected Jon on the show.

21 hours ago, GraceK said:

This still seems more likely to me. Something about the Others that would be really surprising (but no clue what).

3 hours ago, Eyes High said:

Her comments still leave room for a very old, but young looking, Jon to visit his siblings' graves. They wouldn't need to age up Jon (he'd still look the same) and they wouldn't need to age up other actors because they would be dead. 

Jon was stabbed, bled to death, and was magically resurrected quite some time later. If GRRM is halfway truthful to his own comments about this (also his comparisons with Gandalf coming back), this should have consequences. How does Jon's body work now? Does he age? Would he (need to) eat, in the books? What about the comparison with Beric, maybe with Melissandre and with Coldhands?

It's possible GRRM would swipe all this aside in favour of a more conventional Jon+Dany ending in which they have children and grow old together, but it's not a sure thing. If Jon can live a perfectly normal life after all that, it kinda goes against what GRRM has been saying in some interviews IMO - even if they may not mean he wouldn't end up doing it anyway.

Edited by Wouter
  • Love 1

The end of season 8 is already approaching and I hope it is a good ending that is not one of those that is sad because all the characters die since this series has been the denominator of killing all the characters and leaving them to one intrigued of what is going to happen and also I hope the beginning of a new game of thrones telling other stories

5 hours ago, Wouter said:

Her comments still leave room for a very old, but young looking, Jon to visit his siblings' graves. They wouldn't need to age up Jon (he'd still look the same) and they wouldn't need to age up other actors because they would be dead.

The point remains that if this 80 years in the future, the statue would be of an old Sansa and not of 22 year old Sophie turner. Considering Sophie wanted to take it home because it looked very much like her, I doubt it's some aged version of her. 

It still could be a statue for some promo stuff. I think this time around they have filmed a lot of extra stuff for promos considering they can't give away anything from the show in trailers and it's the final season. And then there is the documentary filmed and BTS stuff.

5 hours ago, Wouter said:

Jon was stabbed, bled to death, and was magically resurrected quite some time later. If GRRM is halfway truthful to his own comments about this (also his comparisons with Gandalf coming back), this should have consequences. How does Jon's body work now? Does he age? Would he (need to) eat, in the books? What about the comparison with Beric, maybe with Melissandre and with Coldhands?

So you don't think that Jon/Dany are having a baby next season?  If Jon is indeed a fire wight in the books, then I don't think he would be able to procreate. In which case Dany is not having a child either and they both die ending the Targaryen line.

I am starting to think that Bran is going to end up as endgame ruler/leader after all. He is following in the footsteps of the 3ER and would be instrumental in defeating the WW:

Brynden was rumored to be a sinister sorcerer and spymaster who effectively ruled the kingdom "with spies and spells" as As "Lord Bloodraven". A popular riddle asked was, "How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? A thousand eyes, and one". The song "A Thousand Eyes, and One" was written about Brynden

Bran would be a like a version of Leto II from Dune

Edited by anamika
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, GraceK said:

I was hoping the closer we got to January the closer we would get to a trailer and release date. ??

Me too, but with a likely premiere in late April (HBO Suit confirming that GoT will be in the Emmy run for 2019) it seems we're back to regular pre-season schedule. So it's possible we only have a few new images in the end of year HBO reel, and some ice melting or Crow campaign before an actual trailer.

9 hours ago, anamika said:

The point remains that if this 80 years in the future, the statue would be of an old Sansa and not of 22 year old Sophie turner. Considering Sophie wanted to take it home because it looked very much like her, I doubt it's some aged version of her. 

It still could be a statue for some promo stuff. I think this time around they have filmed a lot of extra stuff for promos considering they can't give away anything from the show in trailers and it's the final season. And then there is the documentary filmed and BTS stuff.

So you don't think that Jon/Dany are having a baby next season?  If Jon is indeed a fire wight in the books, then I don't think he would be able to procreate. In which case Dany is not having a child either and they both die ending the Targaryen line.

I am starting to think that Bran is going to end up as endgame ruler/leader after all. He is following in the footsteps of the 3ER and would be instrumental in defeating the WW:

It could be a statue for some promo stuff, but 1) HBO wouldn’t freak out over the mention of it, 2) Sophie (allegedly) said the statue is from “the end of GOT,” and 3) a statue in the likeness of an actor seems like the sort of thing that would get shipped around to various preseason promotional events, and Sophie had the option of taking hers home with her.

GRRM could very well be going for a Leto II thing with Bran.

6 hours ago, GraceK said:

I was hoping the closer we got to January the closer we would get to a trailer and release date. ??

/EveryFckngChicken at /Freefolk is predicting based on S6 and S7 timelines that we’ll get a first trailer in early March 2019 (based on a premiere date guess of April 28).

To be honest, I think as well, that the most likely explanation for Sansa's statue is her death. But it's such an obvious explanation that I cannot imagine how Sophie Turner would not consider it a spoiler and tell everyone about it. Surely everyone involved with GoT would realize right from the beginning, how important that information is and therefore not mention it in interviews?

Edited by BadAssRobinArryn
21 minutes ago, Eyes High said:

/EveryFckngChicken at /Freefolk is predicting based on S6 and S7 timelines that we’ll get a first trailer in early March 2019 (based on a premiere date guess of April 28).

March?????  OMG I cannot handle another 5 months of people debating whether Friki's info is correct, without even a trailer to give us something new to focus on!

• Love 5
44 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

To be honest, I think as well, that the most likely explanation for Sansa's statue is her death. But it's such an obvious explanation that I cannot imagine how Sophie Turner would not consider it a spoiler and tell everyone about it. Surely everyone involved with GoT would realize right from the beginning, how important that information is and therefore not mention it in interviews?

We always wait eagerly for Sophie's interviews because she tends to give away stuff. As mentioned on here earlier, Sophie gave away that she would survive season 6 and come out on top at the end of the season in early interviews before season 6 premiered. She got a tattoo with the 'pack survives' quote. When asked if she had given away the ending, she said that it would be terrible and stupid to do that and she had not done that. So does that mean she is saying that the pack does not survive? She gave away the 'faith of angels' code word for the show in an earlier interview. She mentioned that she wrapped in Seville and send out a tweet on her last day of filming. She has admitted to filming in Croatia. She's the only actor to mention that the season would have 'betrayal' in it. I think we have got more clues from Sophie's interviews than from any other actor.

There's also the fact that only hardcore fans of the series would immediately think of reasons for why Sansa has a statue at 'the end of GOT' and that could be why Sophie mentioned it - not thinking it would be a spoiler.  The Sansa fan who tweeted about it certainly did not think it was a big deal.

• Love 2
(edited)
50 minutes ago, BadAssRobinArryn said:

Sophie was also happily blabbing during the Q&A about getting high with Maisie, and while she has talked about her silly shenanigans with Maisie many times, she doesn’t usually mention drug use. She also seems to have let slip that she was filming in Croatia, which if true was obviously intended to be a huge secret since no one saw her there at the time. 

It seems she was much less guarded for this Q&A than she usually is and as @anamika pointed out, she’s not all that guarded to begin with. So I can completely buy that she said something extremely spoilery that she was not supposed to say and then realized her mistake and tried to backpedal: Naughtysansa said that Sophie was talking really quickly when she was explaining that the statue thing wasn’t a spoiler.

Edited by Eyes High
15 hours ago, anamika said:

Fire wights can still have kids because magic. Seriously. 

If a fire wight has no blood flow but can still move around then it's safe to say that the rules of biology no longer apply to it. 

16 hours ago, anamika said:

The point remains that if this 80 years in the future, the statue would be of an old Sansa and not of 22 year old Sophie turner. 

I disagree on this point, purely from a practical/TV-friendly perspective: if there was a distant epilogue, it would not surprise me if the showrunners wanted the statues to still look like the actors in order to register with the audience, even if that doesn’t strictly make sense in-universe.

Whether that actually is the case or not, I don’t know.  There doesn’t seem to be video of this panel, so it’d be somewhat useful to assess demeanour.  Certainly, regardless, this is a legitimate point for theorists that Sansa dies in the main action of the series.

1 hour ago, WindyNights said:

Fire wights can still have kids because magic. Seriously. 

If a fire wight has no blood flow but can still move around then it's safe to say that the rules of biology no longer apply to it. 

There hasn’t been any indication on the show that Jon is at all biologically different now, really.  He seems to bleed, breathe, eat, and (presumably) defecate just like before.  He can evidently get it up.  I don’t see why his testicles wouldn’t be working, since everything else seems to.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, bubble sparkly said:

March?????  OMG I cannot handle another 5 months of people debating whether Friki's info is correct, without even a trailer to give us something new to focus on!

I think that there is usually some kind of promotional material that starts coming out in January of February, even if it is just the official posters and character photos.  I'm thinking of the blue lit photos we had one year, or the wall of masks that we had another.  I hope that kind of material starts showing up much sooner than March!  ARG.

Do we only have this Sansa Statue spoiler/foiler  or whatever it is from one source, or have other attendees backed up the original twitter source?  

Also, I would love there to be an 80 year leap into the future, so I won't hold my breath for it to happen.  LOL.  For the record, it isn't at all uncommon for the statue of a person who lived to be eighty, to appear as they were when they were younger if this turned out to be a statue gallery for war heroes.   Especially on a TV show. 

Anyway, I feel like I know about as much as Jon Snow in so far as season 8 is concerned AKA. NOTHING.  And I'm sure that HBO is loving it.

(edited)
2 hours ago, SeanC said:

I disagree on this point, purely from a practical/TV-friendly perspective: if there was a distant epilogue, it would not surprise me if the showrunners wanted the statues to still look like the actors in order to register with the audience, even if that doesn’t strictly make sense in-universe.

/BoatsexBaby said that the epilogue isn't set that far in the future, so if you believe that /BoatsexBaby has good information (and there are several who don't, of course), then the discussion about whether Sansa would have a youthful statue in her honour after passing away of old age 80 years in the future is academic in any event.

I don't think I would have read that much into Sophie's statue comment had Sophie not (allegedly) said the statue was from the end of GOT and had HBO not seemingly imposed a media-wide blackout on any mention of it. 

Whether that actually is the case or not, I don’t know.  There doesn’t seem to be video of this panel, so it’d be somewhat useful to assess demeanour.  Certainly, regardless, this is a legitimate point for theorists that Sansa dies in the main action of the series.

It would be very helpful to know what Sophie actually said, but there doesn't appear to be any video of the event, so Naughtysansa's comments are all we have to go on. Maybe someone will ask James Hibberd about it, since it was an Entertainment Weekly event.

51 minutes ago, Cujoy said:

Do we only have this Sansa Statue spoiler/foiler  or whatever it is from one source, or have other attendees backed up the original twitter source?  

So far, there's only one source, Naughtysansa on Twitter, but she reported the other Sophie comments faithfully that later popped up in media writeups of the event, as I described upthread, so given that she seems to have accurately reported Sophie's other comments, there's no reason to think that she's mistaken about the statue comment. 

Edited by Eyes High
8 hours ago, anamika said:

We always wait eagerly for Sophie's interviews because she tends to give away stuff. As mentioned on here earlier, Sophie gave away that she would survive season 6 and come out on top at the end of the season in early interviews before season 6 premiered. She got a tattoo with the 'pack survives' quote. When asked if she had given away the ending, she said that it would be terrible and stupid to do that and she had not done that. So does that mean she is saying that the pack does not survive? She gave away the 'faith of angels' code word for the show in an earlier interview. She mentioned that she wrapped in Seville and send out a tweet on her last day of filming. She has admitted to filming in Croatia. She's the only actor to mention that the season would have 'betrayal' in it. I think we have got more clues from Sophie's interviews than from any other actor.

I find it really difficult to believe that Sophie would tattoo the "the pack survives" if any of the remaining Starks die at the end of the story.

• Love 1
14 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I find it really difficult to believe that Sophie would tattoo the "the pack survives" if any of the remaining Starks die at the end of the story.

Maybe it’s a passive-aggressive expression of displeasure with the ending...? She has not seemed thrilled with the ending at all.